• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

serahsass

Neo Member
Failed model swap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpMPY_o2VMQ

wow
stunning3ntknq.jpg
God, I wish I was Snow.

Lucael

Just like in my first playthrough Vile Peaks it's a terrible zone. Too long, uninspired landcape (trash everywhere), party members costantly getting separated and reunited, party formation always switching, plus monsters with a lot of hp. What were they thinking?

Adaren

On the note of ragequitting, one of the first things I did was make a simple AutoHotKey script to rebind Esc to Backspace for FFXIII.

That Odin probably gave me my fastest Game Over screen yet (That's Dark Souls level of difficulty >.>)

Loved that battle. But why does the game expect me to last like, 25mins fighting Odin? Can the battle even last that long (wouldn't doom end it faster)?

Target time is calculated from a formula based off your offensive stats, your ATB level, and your enemy's level (I think you can view this on the enemy info screen?). Odin just has an inflated level that doesn't really matter since you beat him with a special condition.

Nevadatan

i just finally beat bulbasaur. geez.
aside of that, the levels are just beautliful. why S-E had to cripple them forcing the game at 720p?
ipWmgPbWIlMVt.png

HeelPower

Ohhh nooooo

I was messing around with the controller and I ended up deleting my save file.

Oh noooo X_X, my other save is like, Snow in Chapter 1 D=

Anyone has a save file from right after Odin? =P (Start of chapter 4)

I can't believe what I just did.

holy cow....

This sucks.

yuraya

Man..the fucking
Vanille Eidolon
fight in ch11 was such a pain in the ass. Took me like 10 tries to do it but I finally figured it out.
SAB/SEN and MED/MED
worked..and just barely. No other combo came even remotely close for me.

The last time I had my ass kicked so many times was probably in dark souls.

Square plz.

Did you skip the hanging edge/vestige fights???

you probably have no shrouds LOLOLOLOLOLO

oh no, I just went in a straight line for lake bresha, I got all the items and fought all the enemies.

I have like, 3 shrouds, which is the same amount I had before.

I should be grinding there? I didn't even know enemies respawn in that area.

HeelPower

oh no, I just went in a straight line for lake bresha, I got all the items and fought all the enemies.

I have like, 3 shrouds, which is the same amount I had before.

I should be grinding there? I didn't even know enemies respawn in that area.

cool..don't worry about it

Boy05.png

Nevadatan

Man..the fucking
Vanille Eidolon
fight in ch11 was such a pain in the ass. Took me like 10 tries to do it but I finally figured it out.
SAB/SEN and MED/MED
worked..and just barely. No other combo came even remotely close for me.

The last time I had my ass kicked so many times was probably in dark souls.

Square plz.

thats what i said a while ago, when i was stuck on the bulbasaur. not even the four kings on NG+6 were as hard as some battles here.

btw the theme on Sunleth Waterscape reminds me of the music on Trauma Center: Under the Knife, maybe because the bassline is similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEEr1jnvFTw

RangerX

Banned
Its great the game is on the PC, I loved my time with it on the ps3, especially the battle system. Only problem is I have to play the game in windowed mode because the game is locked at 1280x720 and so when I go fullscreen my tv shows a black screen and an out of range message. Its really irritating. Anyone have a fix for this? The durante fix worked but The game started running really slowly then, making it near unplayable. Is there anyway to just change the resolution without any other graphics upscaling?

Its great the game is on the PC, I loved my time with it on the ps3, especially the battle system. Only problem is I have to play the game in windowed mode because the game is locked at 1280x720 and so when I go fullscreen my tv shows a black screen and an out of range message. Its really irritating. Anyone have a fix for this? The durante fix worked but The game started running really slowly then, making it near unplayable. Is there anyway to just change the resolution without any other graphics upscaling?

In the main configuration file manually set your resolution, then in the Final Fantasy 13 config set the resolution to 1280x720 and it should work without issue. (edit) Of GeDoSaTo that is.

Nevadatan

thats probably because you are downsampling from 3K and your GPU is not powerful enough, just put your desired res on the .ini.

Logy

Neo Member
These Cie'th missions are getting harder, i'm averaging 3 stars, feels like i'm missing some good loot.
How many should i do before moving on with the story?
Also for anyone having trouble finding the missions, this map helped me a lot.

one85x

These Cie'th missions are getting harder, i'm averaging 3 stars, feels like i'm missing some good loot.
I think the game wants you to do 1-16 as it will start pushing you in the direction of the story with 17.

Just do the missions in numerical order, and the mission progression will take you along the same path as the story progression. That will also give you all the XP you need to take on the rest of Chapter 11. Going straight into the next area without doing enough "side" stuff will result in a pretty severe difficulty spike.

Logy

Neo Member
I think the game wants you to do 1-16 as it will start pushing you in the direction of the story with 17.

Just do the missions in numerical order, and the mission progression will take you along the same path as the story progression. That will also give you all the XP you need to take on the rest of Chapter 11. Going straight into the next area without doing enough "side" stuff will result in a pretty severe difficulty spike.

Yea i was afraid of the difficulty spike that's why i was wondering, guess i'll do them all. Thanks.

HeelPower

yeah if i was psicom id be afraid too of a person looking that drunk as fang

needs to lay off the materia cocktails

That's a interesting very assumption btw.

The first scene we ever see fang in the game she's drinking.

She probably has very high tolerance for alcohol.

Oh fang...She really needs her own game.

After these ports we need FFXIII-4, centered around everyone's favorite trio of alcoholic lesbians.

Or FFX-2HD for PC would work just as fine instead.

cafemomo

After these ports we need FFXIII-4, centered around everyone's favorite trio of alcoholic lesbians.
Yuna, Rikku and high school lulu?

that means FFXIII universe and the FFX universe are connected

which means FFXIII is now connected to the FF
VII
universe

yuffie
costume for lightning confirmed

man what am I talking about, it's 3AM and I need some sleep

Tizoc

Fang is going into my party. She is the strongest character in the game.

Here's a tip; Fang's last attack animation as a Commando can have her split her spear and do a multihit attack.
This multihit attack is rather long and is best to avoid her doing that animation, though this specific attack only occurs if an enemy is grounded and not in the air.
When you reach the final Attack ATB, just press O or Triangle/Their 360 controller equivalent and Fang will stop attacking, saving you some valuable seconds.

Knurek

Square Enix, please:

cpu73r1n.png

gpulep09.png

You're not using even half of my system's resources, yet you fucking can't even sustain 30 fps with your game. Something's seriously wrong with your engine's resource manager - constant stutter with such low system usage just shouldn't happen.

I have the game on an SSD drive, using XInput compatible gamepad, and yet, judder all around, including fucking movie cutscenes and music playback!

s_mirage

Hypothesis on the random stuttering some are getting: It's directly linked to monitor refresh rate. My testing seems to confirm this. The random stutters get better or worse depending on tiny changes to refresh rate settings. Perhaps the engine expects a certain, very precise refresh rate and somehow gets thrown out when it doesn't get it.

It's a pain whatever the case because (except for the battles) I'm stuck between two choices: either totally smooth but with fairly long periods of massive stuttering, or largely smooth but with frequent, brief stutters.

Kuja9001

Banned
Random info about Cid Raines' Concept Art

Image A
Image B

Image A:

[top text]
Cie'th Raines ~ First Form

■ Raines has the crest of Lindzei on the back of his right hand, and his Cie'th transformation started from there.
He has just barely managed to retain human form through his defiant spirit.
■ Fights in a kenpo/martial arts style. (Striking qi into his opponent with his hands and blasting them back, etc.)
A speed attacker like Lightning, and attacks with fiendish combos.
■ From his stomach down it's the same as the former Raines.
The shape of the belt and colour of the outfit, etc. are provisional.

[full body caption]
A crystalline material like Lindzei-type Cie'th

[portrait caption]
Head is also crystal

Image B:

[top text]
■ Raines has the crest of Lindzei on the back of his right hand, and his Cie'th transformation started from there.
When he loses health, he is unable to control the crest's power and his Cie'th transformation worsens, causing him to grow wings.
■ Fights in a kenpo/martial arts style. (Striking qi into his opponent with his hands and blasting them back, etc.)
A speed attacker like Lightning, and attacks with fiendish combos.
■ The wings are also made from the same substance as Lindzei-type Cie'th, but the bones flap like an angel's (bird's?) wings.

[wing silhouette]
Thickness of the wings

[wing caption]
■ The wings grow out from the spine.

Anyone has tips on the last chapter 11 bossfight?

I remember when I played it on the 360 I grinded a lot before that. Actually I wanted to do it after I get the Lionheart for Lightning and return to Grand Pulse, but seems I have to do it now.
Any tips?

TheTux

Square Enix, please:

cpu73r1n.png

gpulep09.png

You're not using even half of my system's resources, yet you fucking can't even sustain 30 fps with your game. Something's seriously wrong with your engine's resource manager - constant stutter with such low system usage just shouldn't happen.

I have the game on an SSD drive, using XInput compatible gamepad, and yet, judder all around, including fucking movie cutscenes and music playback!
Yes we know about this problem since release day and they haven't patched it yet (and I'm starting to wonder if they will ever patch it)... it's quite disappointing to be honest. I was excited to be able to play this beautiful game again on PC but I just can't even get steady 30+ fps.

By the way what software do you use to get that graph?

Thanks in advance

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I bet you they aren't going to fix anything. It was a quickport and no resources will be devoted to fixing or optimizing a dead engine

Top Bottom