• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Knurek

Is there any advantage to 5 starring missions besides a feeling of achievement? Do you get better items?

You have a higher chance of rare item drops.

In other news, Cids are tough.
Have no idea how to beat the fucker. Should I just pop a Fortisol before fight? He can debuff me though, and he has just too high of a damage potential to beat... Spend two hours yesterday trying various strategies. Will prolly need to switch team around - I was using Light/Van/Sazh

Goldenhen

Have no idea how to beat the fucker. Should I just pop a Fortisol before fight? He can debuff me though, and he has just too high of a damage potential to beat... Spend two hours yesterday trying various strategies. Will prolly need to switch team around - I was using Light/Van/Sazh

You need Fang or Snow to be on Sentinel role most of the time. So swap out Van for Fang if you need Saboteur.

Meowster

I'm really feeling bad knowing I'm not able to play my favourite game like this.

Please don't do this to me GAF!

Edit:
If you're interested someone found new areas in the 7th Arks by teleporting. Not really anything new/special to see, mostly a copy-paste from the 5th ark and some areas aren't rendered (yet).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeM8OHts1ak&feature=youtu.be
Incredible. The assets are still in. XIII was such a perfect game for me (loved the spin-offs too but, at the time, the future looked bright for XIII) and was so hyped by the DLC mentions by Kitase and Toriyama that never got released. There was also something weather related that they were going to do for DLC iirc.

Is there any advantage to 5 starring missions besides a feeling of achievement? Do you get better items?

What the guy above said. I think there's an achievement too.

You need Fang or Snow to be on Sentinel role most of the time. So swap out Van for Fang if you need Saboteur.

I staggered him once, and manage to juggle him constantly until he died. Poor guy didn't even get to reach his final form. Launch him then time your attacks to keep him up there. It's cheap, but it works.

Kazdane

Actually, regarding Cids are tough...

You don't really need a sentinel (certainly not most of the time). A party of Fang, Lightning + Sazh will stomp him without much issue if you start the fight with SAB/MED/SYN and wait for Fang to apply all her debuffs on Cid and Sazh to apply Haste, Bravery and so on. Once that's done, you can unleash everything upon him, and use COM/RAV/RAV whenever he is in guard form to increase the stagger, as well as COM/COM/COM to finish him off once you stagger him in the third form.

He is tricky, but not overly difficult (of all the fights in Chapters 9/10/11 Barthandelus 1st form is the most tricky, because the game never really explains you properly that you have to increase his stagger to weaken that skill he charges up constantly).

Meowster

Ugh. Just gonna go ahead and replay this on my PS3 since I lost all my trophies and it is odd seeing XIII-2 completely done and LR halfway done. Won't be getting my computer now for another year instead of December and I really want to take in some nostalgia from one of my favorites.

Javaman

Actually, regarding Cids are tough...

You don't really need a sentinel (certainly not most of the time). A party of Fang, Lightning + Sazh will stomp him without much issue if you start the fight with SAB/MED/SYN and wait for Fang to apply all her debuffs on Cid and Sazh to apply Haste, Bravery and so on. Once that's done, you can unleash everything upon him, and use COM/RAV/RAV whenever he is in guard form to increase the stagger, as well as COM/COM/COM to finish him off once you stagger him in the third form.

He is tricky, but not overly difficult (of all the fights in Chapters 9/10/11 Barthandelus 1st form is the most tricky, because the game never really explains you properly that you have to increase his stagger to weaken that skill he charges up constantly).

What pissed me off about the fight is that it said the opposite. Something like he absorbs energy from attacks. That caused me to NEVER attack during that part. No wonder it took me like 15 minutes to win.

Kazdane

What pissed me off about the fight is that it said the opposite. Something like he absorbs energy from attacks. That caused me to NEVER attack during that part. No wonder it took me like 15 minutes to win.

Oh the game is definitely quite misleading in some aspects. I like to max the Crystarium in Chapter 11,
grinding in the Mah'habara Subterra, in the detour leading to the juggernaut, only the main roles, of course, and then resume with the story, so I have anywhere between 300k and 500k crystarium points once Barthandelus goes down to spend in the next Crystarium expansion
. It doesn't really diminish the difficulty of the fights in that Chapter, but makes certain areas of Chapter 12 far less tedious.

CentroXer

Banned
screenshot_2014-10-240wxb0.jpg

Snow says time to kick ass!

Knurek

Gran Pulse is amazing.
Of course I'm getting my arse kicked left and right, but oh well.
What's the correct way to do hunts? Do 1-7 ASAP, rest before final boss? Or some other way?

Kazdane

Gran Pulse is amazing.
Of course I'm getting my arse kicked left and right, but oh well.
What's the correct way to do hunts? Do 1-7 ASAP, rest before final boss? Or some other way?

You can do some of them before continuing the story (1-7 may be doable). I left them all for the end-game and didn't really feel like I was missing anything important. Most of them are actually meant to be done after you beat the final boss (they are tuned keeping into account the last stage of the crystarium, which you won't unlock until you beat the game).

CentroXer

Banned
Hope is really at it in chapter 7. Snow just saved a bunch of civilians including hope, but his hatred is really hard to take. Sanctum shot his mom, not snow.

And now he was just a second away from
murdering
him until ironically snow had to save him AGAIN. I cant take this much longer.

leazo

Banned
I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to give a boss a ability that can randomly oneshot team members at full health in combination with the game ending if the party leader goes down :( This is very annoying.

TheTux

I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to give a boss a ability that can randomly oneshot team members at full health in combination with the game ending if the party leader goes down :( This is very annoying.

You can buy an item which decreases the chance of getting one.shotted (by like 30% if I remember correctly) if you want. Don't know the english name of such item though.

Edit: Maybe it's called "Cherub's Crown", you can also get one of those for free in the Orphan's Cradle (The Tesseracts).
Also, added spoiler tag.

TheTux

Anyone know the best guide (for cp/gil and other secrets) that I can use?

Best way to farm CP, Gil and Trapezohedrons is to kill Adamantoise in Leviathan Plaza as soon as you can. You shouldn't need to grind before beating the final boss.

Meowster

Goddamn, Fang is just the best. Sooooo sorely underused in this series. Just made it to the Vile Peaks (or the most boring part of the game). All will be fine if I can make it past this part.

Kazdane

Best way to farm CP, Gil and Trapezohedrons is to kill Adamantoise in Leviathan Plaza as soon as you can. You shouldn't need to grind before beating the final boss.

You do need to grind a bit in Chapter 11 to keep your characters in line with the jump in boss HP (from the 400k something of Barthandelus to the 2.3m of Dahaka), though. But yeah, besides that part, you don't need to grind at all for the remainder of the game

Just beat the final boss. 617 screenshots taken along the way (and 30 5-star boss videos). Now I guess I'll focus on 5-starring all the hunts in Pulse...

TheTux

You do need to grind a bit in Chapter 11 to keep your characters in line with the jump in boss HP (from the 400k something of Barthandelus to the 2.3m of Dahaka), though. But yeah, besides that part, you don't need to grind at all for the remainder of the game

Just beat the final boss. 617 screenshots taken along the way (and 30 5-star boss videos). Now I guess I'll focus on 5-starring all the hunts in Pulse...

If you complete like ~5-7 quests as soon as you get to Chapter 11 you shouldn't need to grind at all. I finished multiple playthroughs like this.

Goddamn, Fang is just the best. Sooooo sorely underused in this series. Just made it to the Vile Peaks (or the most boring part of the game). All will be fine if I can make it past this part.

Yup. If XIII-2 was about Fang and Vanille during the war of transgression I would have liked that game's story a lot more.

leazo

Banned
As an afterthought with
Orphan dead
not going into ranting on what I found badly done with this game, got to say this game had one of the most amazing soundtracks I have ever heard in gaming in quite some time, now begins the wait for DA:I in November and FF13-2 shortly after :)

Kazdane

If you complete like ~5-7 quests as soon as you get to Chapter 11 you shouldn't need to grind at all. I finished multiple playthroughs like this.

That's not really enough to 5-star the bosses though right? I don't know. I've always grinded in Chapter 11 for around 2 hours (maxing the crystarium in their main roles), so I don't need to grind at all for the rest of the game (except post final boss)

Parfait

Almost 'done', just need to 5* the next boss, then live on pulse for a few hours.

I spent a few hours just gettin traps and leveling up so im now a few million gil rich with 3 ultimate weapons down. I cant wait to finish the achieves yo.

TheTux

That's not really enough to 5-star the bosses though right? I don't know. I've always grinded in Chapter 11 for around 2 hours (maxing the crystarium in their main roles), so I don't need to grind at all for the rest of the game (except post final boss)

I didn't know we were talking about 5 stars, that's not really important in my opinion because
the final boss is easy to 5-star for the trophy
and
hunting missions can be redone easily after the final boss. I also don't recall having long battles.

Edit: On my first playthrough (when I knew nothing about the game)
I remember grinding for few hours in Mah'habara Subterra against the robots because it was easy, fast and they gave quick CP
, not sure if it will be useful to you though.

Rainy

Banned
Im playing the game in 720p due to my laptop's problems with higher resolutions but this game still looks damn good after 5 years. The presentation is great. The rest of the game...meh. But I am enjoying playing through it. Just played a few hours and it's still fun.

Kazdane

I didn't know we were talking about 5 stars, that's not really important in my opinion because
the final boss is easy to 5-star for the trophy
and
hunting missions can be redone easily after the final boss. I also don't recall having long battles.

Edit: On my first playthrough (when I knew nothing about the game)
I remember grinding for few hours in Mah'habara Subterra against the robots because it was easy, fast and they gave quick CP
, not sure if it will be useful to you though.

That's the area we're I've always grinded. This is my 1st playthrough on PC, but it's the 5 or 6th of the game so far :)
You can't really 5-star any of the bosses from Dahaka onwards to the best of my knowledge (save Orphan's last form) unless you grind before beating him for the first time).

Arcadius

Banned
So I'm near the end of the game finally. Going to do some grinding on Pulse and complete missions just for the fun of it. Having beat the game Week 1 when it released on the PS3 I know how it ends. I just want to consolidate my thoughts while I have them flowing and review the game for myself and anyone who bothers to read this =).

First, the game as a whole; I love it. I liked it when I first beat it, but replaying it again just further supports the fact that FF13 (by itself) is a pretty great Final Fantasy game.

For the cast - I enjoyed everyone's company except for Hope. I disliked him when all he could think about was killing Snow and I dislike him after he realizes it wasn't Snows fault for what happened. He changes in the blink of an eye and that really grinds my gears. I love Vanille, she's my favorite character by far (she's very beautiful) and I had no issues with her voice or voice acting. Lightning is okay and gets better towards the end, Snow is great from the beginning; I enjoyed how he wanted to protect everyone (although him constantly stating it was annoying) and that he was the only one that believed Serah
which in turn made Lightning a better person once she realized her mistakenly cold attitude
, Sazh is the best and he's a very well done black character in video games, especially JRPGs. For Fang, I initially disliked her (I had no idea what her "game" was), but as the story opened up she is a great character too.

All the voice acting I enjoyed. I never thought it was bad or that someone was taking a nail to a chalkboard, so that's that.

Graphics - Even without GeDoSaTo, it's very pretty. I kept thinking to myself, "Wow, that looks incredible" over and over again. The spell effects are flamboyant and well done. Even with the funny hands/fingers and pointy elbows I was constantly impressed (even better since I ran the game on a GTX 260 with shadows at 4 and super sampling MSAA).

Music - Like all other Final Fantasys before XIII is fantastic, it's an OST I should really buy. One of my favorite songs is when you're in Oerba and you have the female hymn-like singing going on, love love love it. I also loved the song in Sunleth Waterscape when you play as Vanille (Did I mention she's beautiful and awesome?)

Story - I don't have any qualms with the story. I understand it and I was never confused with Fal'cie/fal'cie and L'cie thing. I wish there was more backstory for the Fal'cie, both Cocoon and Pulse. I did have some questions though, which I'll spoiler here.
In the Datalog there is a section called Analects which bring up someone named "The Goddess", is "The Goddess" Lightning and is this cleared up in FFXIII-2 or Lightning Returns? Also, who is Lindzei and is she/he/it apart of the other XIII games? While you're here, are Fang and Vanille the last Pulsian people in the world due to the War of Transgression from long ago? Try not to spoil much if you can

Combat - I enjoyed the combat, but I'd be lying if I said it was hard, because for me at least, it wasn't. Just about all the bosses and Ediolons were a one try attempt with 5 star completion, not all, but most. Even though it's not that hard it sure is fun. Unlike most JRPGs where I begin to avoid combat late game, FFXIII keeps pulling me back in (cue Al Pacino .gif) with the combat.

End game content - This is where I would give the game a low score/regard. I hate the end game content. It's a huge huge huge grind and even with the Death exploit on Adamantoise it just sucks. Square Enix really expected people to farm a ton if they wanted the trophies/be a completionist/ Steam achievements.

Over all, I'm glad the game came out on the PC (I really wanted to play it again) and if what people are saying is true; that Sqaure is releasing the entire trilogy on the PC, I will play them all. I'm actually curious how they continued the story after XIII (which I found to be a perfect ending)
I'm not at the end yet, but does Lightning disappear after Fang and Vanille become crystal, since that would be why there are sequels after XIII

I give the game a 8.3 - 8.7 out of 10 (depending on my mood or how well I remember the game).

Thanks for reading!

In the Datalog there is a section called Analects which bring up someone named "The Goddess", is "The Goddess" Lightning and is this cleared up in FFXIII-2 or Lightning Returns? Also, who is Lindzei and is she/he/it apart of the other XIII games? While you're here, are Fang and Vanille the last Pulsian people in the world due to the War of Transgression from long ago? Try not to spoil much if you can

There are four main deities in the FNC and XIII series.

God whom made Etro, Lindzei, Pulse.

The Goddess is Etro. Her blood was used by Lindzei to make humanity.

Lindzei made Cocoon and its Fal'cie becoming essentially it's "Maker". It invited much of humanity to live there from Grad Pulse.

Pulse made Gran Pulse, its fal'cie, and branded the gang. You see him briefly in that cutscene where they get branded.

As for Pulse's people
After the WAR: (According to the wiki)

Pulse meanwhile, did not fare as well as Cocoon. Almost the entire human population of Pulse was mostly wiped out with those who survived being outnumbered by the monsters patrolling the underworld. Exactly how this happened is unknown, but it was likely a combination of many things.

Thanks for the information. I was too scared to wiki it up incase it was explained in better detail through the other games, but I guess not?

For this game you learn a bit about them in the datalog. But it's written like a poem and they are referred to as something else.(i.e. Fool = Etro)

Arcadius

Banned
Right. I did some wiki reading just now, but I'll leave most of it to the games to explain it for me. I really hope the story doesn't go balls to the walls crazy and convoluted in the sequels, guess I'll have to wait around for the ride to come. Thanks again.

Right. I did some wiki reading just now, but I'll leave most of it to the games to explain it for me. I really hope the story doesn't go balls to the walls crazy and convoluted in the sequels, guess I'll have to wait around for the ride to come. Thanks again.

No problem. I love talking about FNC. As for the rest of the story in the sequels, well you'll probably like and not like things about it.

Since you liked the 1st game you'll find stuff to like in it's sequels and oh yes it will be a quite a ride. haha

Arcadius

Banned
No problem. I love talking about FNC. As for the rest of the story in the sequels, well you'll probably like and not like things about it.

Since you liked the 1st game you'll find stuff to like in it's sequels and oh yes it will be a quite a ride. haha

Honestly, I could use a crazy all out story. I'll make sure to remember you when the trilogy is out so I can talk about the FNC lore and stuff if I get mad confused or something. The snippet I read off the wiki was already a little out there.

Edit: Even though I just said I hope the story doesn't go balls to the walls crazy, I lied.

That boss where you only have Snow is pretty hard
(after he saves Lightning and Hope in Palumpolum)
. I could not find a way to kill it, so I cheesed it out by using Shiva (or whatever her name is, I just call her Shiva).

HeelPower

That boss where you only have Snow is pretty hard
(after he saves Lightning and Hope in Palumpolum)
. I could not find a way to kill it, so I cheesed it out by using Shiva (or whatever her name is, I just call her Shiva).

That's right before hope joins him right ?

I think you should use shiva yeah.

That's right before hope joins him right ?

I think you should use shiva yeah.

I tried everything else, nothing worked >.>

I guess you could beat him if you use Vendetta really well towards the end, that's the plan I came up with and didn't want to test it, so I skipped that plan and went Shiva.

HeelPower

I tried everything else, nothing worked >.>

I guess you could beat him if you use Vendetta really well towards the end, that's the plan I came up with and didn't want to test it, so I skipped that plan and went Shiva.

its a swarm of these idiot soldiers..

I bet its pretty hard to get 5 stars without shiva.

Kuja9001

Banned
There are four main deities in the FNC and XIII series.

God whom made Etro, Lindzei, Pulse.

The Goddess is Etro. Her blood was used by Lindzei to make humanity.

Lindzei made Cocoon and its Fal'cie becoming essentially it's "Maker". It invited much of humanity to live there from Grad Pulse.

Pulse made Gran Pulse, its fal'cie, and branded the gang. You see him briefly in that cutscene where they get branded.

As for Pulse's people
After the WAR: (According to the wiki)

Pulse meanwhile, did not fare as well as Cocoon. Almost the entire human population of Pulse was mostly wiped out with those who survived being outnumbered by the monsters patrolling the underworld. Exactly how this happened is unknown, but it was likely a combination of many things.

The
population dwindled due to the fal'Cie giving humans dumb/insane foci.

its a swarm of these idiot soldiers..

I bet its pretty hard to get 5 stars without shiva.

Oh no, at the start of the battle sure, but after you use Shiva for the first time and kill all the soldiers you still can't kill the stronger one in the middle, and then you have to fight with only Snow. That's the part where I kept dying, so I used Shiva for the second time (the first time is cost-free since the battle already starts on Shiva).

TheTux

At this point I don't know what to expect from the patch, they announced it 4 days ago and it is supposed to contain only 2 small fixes and it hasn't been released yet.

I'm totally OK with waiting if they're going to fix the framerate issue otherwise it will just be a useless patch to me.

Top Bottom