• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Durask

Anyone here with 1440p monitor?

Tried maxing everything out and game does run at 1440p but still looks jaggy if you look closely and nowhere as good as what the screenshots here look like.

I tried setting rendering res at 2x 1440p but the game crashes, so I only can set
rendering res at 1440p.

2San

Yo, dis game is bad.

Just finished it. Playing the early chapters I really thought people where overreacting about this game. I have to say I share the same sentiments as the nay sayers.

Can anyone point to some posts to make sense of the story. I did read all the data logs have a pretty decent understanding, I still feel like I'm missing stuff.

LuuKyK

Yo, dis game is bad.

Just finished it. Playing the early chapters I really thought people where overreacting about this game. I have to say I share the same sentiments as the nay sayers.

Can anyone point to some posts to make sense of the story. I did read all the data logs have a pretty decent understanding, I still feel like I'm missing stuff.

This should help.

Yo, dis game is bad.

Depends, what do you feel you are missing?

Tizoc

Well, here's my GeDoSaTo Config:

Code:
# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by GeDoSaTo and used to provide documentation

# This is a profile file for ffxiiiimg

## Rendering Resolution
# can't select res in-game so write it here
clearRenderResolutions
#renderResolution 1920x1080@60
renderResolution 3840x2160@60
#renderResolution 4480x2520@60

## Anti Aliasing
# MSAA sample count, default 4, other options: 2, 8
# higher = higher performance impact
MSAASampleCount 4
# Enable coverage sampling (CSAA on NV, EQAA on AMD) if HW supports it
# (improvement for small performance hit)
enableCoverageSampling true

## Shadow Resolution
# 1 = default
# sensible values: 2, 4, 8 (extreme)
# higher numbers = larger performance impact
shadowScale 4

## Required settings, don't change
injectPSHash 1329c9bf
maxScreenshotParallelism -1
forceRenderRes true
#forcePresentRes true

I'm using an Xbox 360 Controller and have power settings turned to max. Running a single Nvidia GTX 770 (it's a factory oc'd EVGA model) and an i5 + 16gb of system ram. Certainly not as fancy as some others here. I do get some occasional slowdowns. I find that reducing the resolution to 1080p and using MSAA will result in a pretty awesome image quality with near-constant 60fps, if you're willing to sacrifice some IQ for more consistent framerate.

Cheers!

Let me try these settings, my max res. is 1080p so I should be able to get 30 FPS at least @_@

Durante

Anyone here with 1440p monitor?

Tried maxing everything out and game does run at 1440p but still looks jaggy if you look closely and nowhere as good as what the screenshots here look like.

I tried setting rendering res at 2x 1440p but the game crashes, so I only can set
rendering res at 1440p.
There's a stupid bug which is hard to track down with 2560x1440 (related to it being 4x1280x720). Try 2561x1440.

Tizoc

Hmm, reading the summary from the wiki, I didn't miss anything. I'm guessing the Fabula Nova Crystallis stuff. The main motivations of each fal'Cie.

For example. Why did the pulse fal'Cie attack cocoon.
IIRC
it had to do with 2 opposing gods, and the cocoon fal'Cie belonged to one of them and as such treated the others as enemies

2San

IIRC
it had to do with 2 opposing gods, and the cocoon fal'Cie belonged to one of them and as such treated the others as enemies
So, why did they oppose each other?

Btw is the Fabula Nova Crystallis stuff something you need to decipher from FFXIII or does it become more clear in the sequels?

As to why the Fal'cie oppose each other:
Essentially they have different ideas of how to reach their goal. Barthandelous figures if he kills tens of millions at once, he'll rip open the Door of Etro's Gate. Pulse Fal'cie, however, want none of that shit and continually follow the orders given to them by Pulse to either cultivate the land and/or find another way to Etro's Gate. The War of Transgression happened because Barthandelous "pillaged" Anima's land, and Anima was furious enough to retaliate. Because Etro intervened, Bart's ploy to destroy Cocoon failed. The second time around, Bart just took advantage of the residual anger Anima had at Cocoon and basically guessed their focus and played the heroes like a puppet.

CentroXer

Banned
screenshot_2014-11-01j1pee.jpg

screenshot_2014-11-02a8r82.jpg

Knurek

Seriously, can't we get Steam to change their screenshots to some of these?

Well, Squeenix has been hard at work patching in that exit confirmation dialogue.
I'm guessing they will be available to change the store page screenshots around at 2045.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, Squeenix has been hard at work patching in that exit confirmation dialogue.
I'm guessing they will be available to change the store page screenshots around at 2045.
Absolutely sad :(...

Absolutely sad :(...

Yoshichan I wanted to comfort you ever since that inital reveal and disappointment of 720p

:(

Did Square ever launch their DiveIn service yet? I am hoping the poor FF13 PC port is being optimized somewhat for their service after they found out it runs like shit on powerful PCs.

hengyu

Well, here's my GeDoSaTo Config:

Code:
# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by GeDoSaTo and used to provide documentation

# This is a profile file for ffxiiiimg

## Rendering Resolution
# can't select res in-game so write it here
clearRenderResolutions
#renderResolution 1920x1080@60
renderResolution 3840x2160@60
#renderResolution 4480x2520@60

## Anti Aliasing
# MSAA sample count, default 4, other options: 2, 8
# higher = higher performance impact
MSAASampleCount 4
# Enable coverage sampling (CSAA on NV, EQAA on AMD) if HW supports it
# (improvement for small performance hit)
enableCoverageSampling true

## Shadow Resolution
# 1 = default
# sensible values: 2, 4, 8 (extreme)
# higher numbers = larger performance impact
shadowScale 4

## Required settings, don't change
injectPSHash 1329c9bf
maxScreenshotParallelism -1
forceRenderRes true
#forcePresentRes true

I'm using an Xbox 360 Controller and have power settings turned to max. Running a single Nvidia GTX 770 (it's a factory oc'd EVGA model) and an i5 + 16gb of system ram. Certainly not as fancy as some others here. I do get some occasional slowdowns. I find that reducing the resolution to 1080p and using MSAA will result in a pretty awesome image quality with near-constant 60fps, if you're willing to sacrifice some IQ for more consistent framerate.

Cheers!

Replying to remember this shit when I get home. I get terrible lag spikes with a GTX 780 and it's god awful

So I haven't bought the game yet, but I wanted to check the steam page to see if any of the problems had been patched yet

One changelog from October 22, promising a notification when trying to quit. And from what I can tell, it's not even out yet

Welp

Knurek

Somehow chapter 7 seems incredibly long to me this time around.

God damn it, Estelle, you're so slow!
Beat the game last weekend. 43 hours, no postgame hunts tackled - I think out of all FF games only FFXII made me care about postgame content. Still loved the game, story, characters and all. Hated the port though.

Will definitely not buy XIII-2 and LR on PC on release date, maybe when they are 75% off. Maybe.

Lain

Will definitely not buy XIII-2 and LR on PC on release date, maybe when they are 75% off. Maybe.

Ahaha, just what they shouldn't have done with this port, making people not want to grab the next ones right out of the gate.
I really don't know how a big publisher/developer can fuck up this much and act like they don't give a flying fuck, especially when it comes to ports of the latest entries in a big franchise.

Arthea

If dlc are in
(I want arena, as I had no dlcs on PS3)
and price is reasonable, I still will buy 13-2 on release.
I must mention, that I'm one of those lucky that had no problems with FF13 so far whatsoever, except that it would be nice to have res and sound options, that's true, but not that it was a game breaking things in any way for me.

Falk

that puzzling face
In a post-LR world I don't see how they could ever re-release XIII-2 without that story/epilogue/whatever-you-wanna-call it Lightning DLC bundled in since it sets up a lot of LR.

kick51

Banned
So I haven't bought the game yet, but I wanted to check the steam page to see if any of the problems had been patched yet

One changelog from October 22, promising a notification when trying to quit. And from what I can tell, it's not even out yet

Welp

I have my hopes pinned on "lazy communication that works in our favor.". Meaning that framerate fix is in as well.

I have my hopes pinned on "lazy communication that works in our favor.". Meaning that framerate fix is in as well.

Truth be told I'd still prefer to buy it on PC, fix or no fix. If my options are playing it at 720p30 on PS3 or 720p30 on PC, PC still wins out, even if its a straight port. But there's also work that can be done to improve it, so even if there's never an official fix, it's fine.

Falk

that puzzling face
Eh, for me, unless a game is simply unplayable, PC wins from the sheer fact I won't need to keep 5 different consoles around in a decade. Anything else is honestly gravy.

(Gravy that should be part of the package, mind you)

Knurek

Truth be told I'd still prefer to buy it on PC, fix or no fix. If my options are playing it at 720p30 on PS3 or 720p30 on PC, PC still wins out, even if its a straight port. But there's also work that can be done to improve it, so even if there's never an official fix, it's fine.

I wish I could play in 720p30 on PC.
It's more like 720P30...30...10...10...30...30...30...10...10 right now.

Arthea

I wish I could play in 720p30 on PC.
It's more like 720P30...30...10...10...30...30...30...10...10 right now.

I still can't wrap my head around why you have it so bad... Really, there should be a problem on your end somewhere, because no way you can get 60-30 variable fps, dip to 10... all the time, no bloody way that I can see.

kick51

Banned

Not on my rig, it's not better. It was a real eye sore and frustrating to see it fluctuate so much. The image quality on PS3 is still pretty dang clear to me, so it's not too bad of a step down. None of the fixes work for me, so if it doesn't get patched, it's gonna be a game I brute force with a better rig later on down the line.

onionfrog

The game fluctuates pretty regularly between 30 and 60 fps for me. (AMD card, so forcing vsync through the control panel doesnt fix it). Its still playable, but a steady 60 fps would be so much better.

Knurek

I still can't wrap my head around why you have it so bad... Really, there should be a problem on your end somewhere, because no way you can get 60-30 variable fps, dip to 10... all the time, no bloody way that I can see.

I've seen some folks suggesting disabling HyperThreading helps here (I have an i3, so two HW cores, 4 virtual ones).
I'd try that, but my BIOS doesn't have an option for doing so.
Tried everything else, from disabling all USB devices, plugging gamepad after game was run, running from SSD, disabling AV software, disabling Gedosato...
Nothing helped - judder is pretty much everywhere, including the prerendered movies.

I really don't know. It seems like framerate isn't dependent on usage. It's random, potato machines should be running this to at least close to 30 at resolutions like 576 and 720p

But it seems like good powerful pcs even running at these resolutions fail to keep a constant 60fps. Square needs to fix their shit.

When is Divein having their launch? That's when our patch will come

Damerman

I really don't know. It seems like framerate isn't dependent on usage. It's random, potato machines should be running this to at least close to 30 at resolutions like 576 and 720p

But it seems like good powerful pcs even running at these resolutions fail to keep a constant 60fps. Square needs to fix their shit.

When is Divein having their launch? That's when our patch will come

on the steam page it says that the game only using a single core... which makes a lot of sense. I wonder how hard it is to patch that, multicore support.

spons

Gold Member
They've already announced some changes for the patch but I doubt they're going to rewrite parts of the engine.

Lime

How long should I stay and grind in that big open area (gran pulse, I think)? or can I just carry on with the story without any repercussions in terms of sudden difficulty?

Top Bottom