• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

http://steamcommunity.com/games/292120/announcements
Hello,

The FINAL FANTASY XIII team have been working hard to improve your experience on Steam and we're happy to announce the following changes have been rolled out.

■ All versions
A request-to-confirm notification, will now appear when you try to quit from the full-screen mode.

■ Asian version
"Confirm" and "Cancel" button assignments on the Controller Settings have been switched.

We'll be in touch as soon as we're ready for the next one!

SQUARE ENIX

TheTux

Glad to see them working on updates. Really hoping they'll release the framerate update soon.

Has the update been released yet? I just launched the game and pressed ESC to see the notification popup and the game just terminated like always.

There's a part of me that sort of enjoys how vague it is; there's a certain awe in being half-able to place how things are situated. It's not the only way to go, but it works.

As for the "sun", that was explained extremely directly if anything; the party flies right by an illuminated "sun" fal'cie in a cutscene.

Hehehe I'm the same; in fact, I actually do not like when these things are explained in detail. You sometimes have inconsistencies and bad science even in some of the "hardest" scifi, and these issues are hardly as important in this game. And sometimes it's funny - I always loved the idea of "vaporators" on Tatooine (was translated as "evaporator" to Hungarian, the opposite to its official "lore" meaning) eg. and the mystery of how R2 goes up stairs. I hate it when this stuff is "explained". It's embarrassing. (Although the Borderlands 2 thing with Claptrap was mildly funny.)

this game is really great. Problem is the pacing imo. For half of the game, you're underleveled and just a two-man party.

Well, if you fill up your crystarium, you should never have any issues with combat imo, and even if you don't, it's imo really fun to experiment with different strategies. Combat in this game is too much fun and the Retry function is just too good.

It's pretty funky. Equipment you find isn't necessarily better, but focuses on different things instead.

Bio materials raise your multiplier (up to 3x)
Mechanical materials raise your item's EXP
A small number of items (credit chips, incentive chips) are meant to be sold

Save before doing any upgrading. When you find something you want to level, keep using bio materials until you get a 3x multiplier, then use a bunch of mechanical materials at once to raise your EXP. Then raise your multiplier back to 3x again, etc.

No idea if this should be spoilered, but:
- You should only ever buy Sturdy Bones (in Creature Comfort) and Ultracompact Reactors (R&D depot, mission 7 reward); maybe a very small number of Particle Accelerators, but even these are expensive for the xp they give
- 36 Sturdy Bones give you 3x bonus; if you're already at 2x for some reason, you only need 18
- save up your Particle Accelerators for "smaller" items so you don't waste URs
- URs cost 50'000; 1 Platinum Ingot nets you 150'000 gil; weapons need around 30 URs for max level (iirc)
- One of one85x's pics has the (imo) best farming spot: http://i2.minus.com/iYWLlzz1ySgod.jpg
- One more thing: you only ever need 1 Trapezohedron; upgrade a Belladonna Wand fully (to starred Nirvana), dismantle it and you'll get 3 back! (There are other weapons with the same effect and some may be cheaper, never tried this)

Edit: spoilered it anyway, maybe it's fun to discover these things yourself

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Square working hard!

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
So any real changes to the game expected somewhere in 2017 given that this is the best they could do since the game's release?
In the App Store, the iOS version of Final Fantasy Tactics listed "higher resolution sprites" as an upcoming feature for like a year and a half with no updates. I thought for sure they had abandoned it. Then unceremoniously the update released out of nowhere.

The point? Maybe S-E will add some enhancements down the road. Just don't expect anything in a timely manner, nor any sort of communication from S-E.

Nethaniah

In the App Store, the iOS version of Final Fantasy Tactics listed "higher resolution sprites" as an upcoming feature for like a year and a half with no updates. I thought for sure they had abandoned it. Then unceremoniously the update released out of nowhere.

The point? Maybe S-E will add some enhancements down the road. Just don't expect anything in a timely manner, nor any sort of communication from S-E.

Oh i know when not to expect anything https://support.rockstargames.com/h...ck-of-widescreen-support-for-San-Andreas-v3-0.

I'm just not going to enjoy playing this with the framerate fluctuations, if they could just fix that i can finally start my playthrough.

shark sandwich

Oh i know when not to expect anything https://support.rockstargames.com/h...ck-of-widescreen-support-for-San-Andreas-v3-0.

I'm just not going to enjoy playing this with the framerate fluctuations, if they could just fix that i can finally start my playthrough.
I hear that. I preordered FFXIII on Steam as soon as it went up. But it's going to sit there uninstalled until the day S-E fixes this framerate BS.

I am somewhat hopeful because S-E plans to release the rest of the Lightning trilogy. Maybe they won't want to risk losing sales of the next 2 titles due to all the negative buzz.

I just started the game. Jeez I can't believe I'm getting 30FPS, and even sub 30FPS in the title screen, all at 720p. This same system gets me 40FPS@1600x900/Ultra on BF3. Yeah, dated system, but I expected much better for an old game.

i3-2100
HD 5850
8GB DDR3

TheTux

So any real changes to the game expected somewhere in 2017 given that this is the best they could do since the game's release?

I just started the game. Jeez I can't believe I'm getting 30FPS, and even sub 30FPS in the title screen, all at 720p. This same system gets me 40FPS@1600x900/Ultra on BF3. Yeah, dated system, but I expected much better for an old game.

i3-2100
HD 5850
8GB DDR3

It's not that the game is demanding and/or your system is bad. It's just that there's some problem with the PC port and the game doesn't use a lot of your GPU power (not more than 15-30% in my case).

fardeenah

Banned
just completed the game... :( this game sucks man.... storywise... the combat is pretty good. will wait for FF XIII-2 and lightning returns. are the sequels any better?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The FINAL FANTASY XIII team have been working hard to improve your experience on Steam and we're happy to announce the following changes have been rolled out.
We'll be in touch as soon as we're ready for the next one!

SQUARE ENIX
xR8BNn7.png

Nethaniah

The thing that kind of ticks me off is that....obscure solo developers can be better at this, if only the communication part of it, it took weeks to even get a response from SE, this isn't some indie dev we're dealing with, it's one of the oldest publishers around and yet this is the best we got? Not talking about the fix, just the message itself, what does it mean? Did he mean the next patch? Or "We'll be in touch as soon with our next game!"?!? What does it all mean?!

they are acting like they are Steam newcomers or something despite having...how many games on it now?, developer <--> consumer communication isn't difficult yet we're left in the dark not counting the guy that passed on the message which in the end only gave us uncertainty wether SE would even do anything with it.

Honestly the only publisher / developer i can think of that's worse is R* but even they aren't this bad when it comes to letting people know about the patches and stuff iirc.

Edit: Maybe i'm thinking too hard about this and it's simply them not wanting to commit or give any definitive answers, either way, i am not satisfied with this regardless of what they did or did not patch.

shark sandwich

just completed the game... :( this game sucks man.... storywise... the combat is pretty good. will wait for FF XIII-2 and lightning returns. are the sequels any better?

XIII-2's story is probably the most incoherent piece of shit ever written for a JRPG and that is saying a LOT. Instead of focusing on the obvious dilemma you are left with at the end of XIII (
you know, 10 million decadent people suddenly cut off from their food/water/shelter/power/magic and dumped into the middle of a savage wasteland filled with monsters
), they went with a totally nonsensical time travel story that doesn't even follow normal time travel rules (e.g. changing the future can actually change the past).

That said, you actually have environments that can be explored in this game. And you have a lot more freedom in how you develop your party with the role-unlocking and monster recruiting/raising mechanics.

Unfortunately those upsides introduce new downsides. The environments aren't as visually interesting as XIII's and end up feeling like, well, RPG dungeons instead of places that real people built and inhabited. And the battle system loses some of its challenge and balance (e.g. it's pretty easy to become overpowered, and I never felt that I needed to really master every role like I did in XIII).

I personally consider XIII-2 worse than XIII although I recognize that many people disagree. Haven't played Lightning Returns yet but I will gladly pick it up if/when Square-Enix lets me play it in 1080p 60FPS.

Falk

that puzzling face
jDJkwsIbDGwOG.jpg

See, this is a believable size. Regardless of the arrival-on-Pulse cutscene and ending telling you otherwise, you might actually believe that Cocoon was about 10-15x its diameter away from Pulse, and the angles/dimensions/etc make sense. Similar to the moon seen from Earth albeit a few times bigger (For reference, the moon and North America would be more or less the same size across)

Not so much at the end of FFXIII and/or whenever it's seen in FFXIII-2 though
with the crystal pillar telling your brain that it's about one North America high and yet still that size in the sky

Cocoon got stuck in the washing machine and shrunk :(

Falk

that puzzling face
Hahaha man, these hi-res screenshots really expose how few polygons the character's arms have outside of cutscenes.

Lightning literally has hexagon arms. Can't unsee.

Dem trees though

I'm really feeling bad knowing I'm not able to play my favourite game like this.

Please don't do this to me GAF!

Edit:
If you're interested someone found new areas in the 7th Arks by teleporting. Not really anything new/special to see, mostly a copy-paste from the 5th ark and some areas aren't rendered (yet).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeM8OHts1ak&feature=youtu.be

We want gaming PCs to play FFXIII. Who would've thought!

This is so odd.

The are seems almost complete and playable.Dunno why they didn't just go ahead and complete it :/

Anyway this is so cool.New discovery after so many years.

I know the feeling. A few years ago I discovered there is a hidden level (deemed too hard, which it is lol) on the Crash Bandicoot disc that can be accessed with gameshark. It felt like getting DLC for a game from 1996.

Same with the Mew hack in Pokemon Kanto.

And the cheat devices/hacks for GTA San Andreas/GTA PSP games.

The thread seems to have slowed down huh.

I finally managed to reach Gran Pulse last night. And now I have reached the point where I just up and quit playing on PS3.

Feels good man.

The thread seems to have slowed down huh.

I finally managed to reach Gran Pulse last night. And now I have reached the point where I just up and quit playing on PS3.

Feels good man.

I think I'm slightly ahead of you. Got to pulse and did the first seven or so hunts. I'm currently in the mah'habara subterra. When I was on the PS3 I think I stopped playing right after O'erba, so hopefully this time around I'll actually complete it. I'm looking forward to all of the more difficult hunts.

Nevadatan

I know the feeling. A few years ago I discovered there is a hidden level (deemed too hard, which it is lol) on the Crash Bandicoot disc that can be accessed with gameshark. It felt like getting DLC for a game from 1996.

ah Stormy Ascend. that level is insanely hard

as for the Seventh Ark, the level itself is not that new. the entire game was datamined years ago. the novelty is that you can actually access it on the PC version.

Javaman

I think I'm slightly ahead of you. Got to pulse and did the first seven or so hunts. I'm currently in the mah'habara subterra. When I was on the PS3 I think I stopped playing right after O'erba, so hopefully this time around I'll actually complete it. I'm looking forward to all of the more difficult hunts.

Is there any advantage to 5 starring missions besides a feeling of achievement? Do you get better items?

Top Bottom