• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Mendrox

Imported the japanese PS3 version back then - was even my first import and I paid 100 Euros. Really wanna experience Vanilles shiny hips in 1080p again, but I don't have the money. :( Hopefully you guys will post wonderful screens.

Btw. Yoshi, great OT! I even love you now. You were my first PM. ;__;

Danlord

Mine hasn't dropped below 6.9. Try switching download servers.

Settings -> Download -> Download Region.

Thanks, I did manage to do that but unfortunately the second UK server wasn't anywhere near as fast as I wasn't getting anything more than 1MB/s whereas the London server is fluctuating, but it's between 3 - 5MB/s at times so I'll just stick it out with this one.

I think(?) they're just videos ? Not sure that can happen if SE don't do it themselves.
I see, it would have happened with other games before if that was possible.

I think it's only possible that SE did that if the models never change in game (when you equip new weapons or something. If that appears in the model, then I doubt they would replace the model with the CG one).

UnrealEck

Man now I'm excited about modders potentially replacing the in-game models with the cutscene models... I love PC gaming.

Don't they look almost identical, just with more bones for better animation in cutscenes?
I doubt that'll be a hard thing to do anyway.
Hopefully we see some new textures. I should try to get into modding myself. I've got so much free time.

HeelPower

Don't they look almost identical, just with more bones for better animation in cutscenes?
I doubt that'll be a hard thing to do anyway.
Hopefully we see some new textures. I should try to get into modding myself. I've got so much free time.

Actually they much better clothes,skin,denser hair,better eyes etc..

The pre-rendered models are superior across the board.

artsi

123.png

From Steam forum

Aw yeah, I'm a happy panda. Didn't expect SE to actually do it

Thanks for sharing.

Brb going to buy the game.

EDIT:

KcTCD7w.jpg

golem09

Neo Member
Changing the language should make you download the japanese version of the game, which has japanese voices and also english text.

I'm talking about that specific option menu in steam. It would just change everything to japanese, no english texts. But as it seems, we are already downloading the japanese voices anyway, and can probably choose the in some sort of launcher.
You can't decide which "version" of a game to downlad through that steam menu.

Gbraga

So whats this all about? All the hype about the JP Voices but no one seems to notice this in the Beta tab:

a012e0975a.png

wooooahhh

I...can...do that? How?

Edit: I found out, and changed the server but there's only 2 in the UK and the second one (Manchester) wasn't anywhere near as fast; never went above 1MB/s so sticking to the London based one.

When I'm getting slow downloads in the brazilian server, I switch to Sacramento and it usually does the trick.

How is this game compared to FFX anyway? I tried out X, played for like 1-2 hours then never start the game again (
I think I hate Tidus for whatever reasons
) .

TheTux

but..but i just did that and still says 49GB

I'm talking about that specific option menu in steam. It would just change everything to japanese, no english texts. But as it seems, we are already downloading the japanese voices anyway, and can probably choose the in some sort of launcher.
You can't decide which "version" of a game to downlad through that steam menu.

I was just guessing, sorry if I didn't make that clear. We'll probably have to wait tomorrow for clear answers.

Tidus shares nothing with the XIII crew.I don't think anyone has similar story arc or comparable characteristics.

They're just.....different imo

Agreed, Tidus and the whole FFX cast is boring to me but I guess we just have different tastes.

UnrealEck

If you hate Tidus, you're going to absolutely despise the XIII crew.

Maybe they dislike Tidus for the same reason I dislike many FF and JRPG characters. They're whiney teenagers that are out to save the world.
That's why I liked Sazh, Lightning and Fang from FFXIII and Snow wasn't too bad either.

It might also be the reason I only played XIII-2 for about an hour before sending it back to the rental place. Too many annoying characters...
."last time on FFXIII-2, KUPO!" (grrr)
I guess I'm just not into the whole cutesy thing, which is often plentiful in Japanese games as it's just part of their culture.

but..but i just did that and still says 49GB
I'm pretty sure you still download both languages either way.

How is this game compared to FFX anyway? I tried out X, played for like 1-2 hours then never start the game again (
I think I hate Tidus for whatever reasons
) .

In XIII your crew basically consists of Aya Brea from Parasite Eve, Ken from Persona 3, a cool black guy, Milfeulle from Galaxy Angel, Shinji from Persona 3 and young cool version of Lulu from FFX

I also never played FFXIII.

TheTux

Maybe they dislike Tidus for the same reason I dislike many FF and JRPG characters. They're whiney teenagers that are out to save the world.
That's why I liked Sazh, Lightning and Fang from FFXIII and Snow wasn't too bad either.

It might also be the reason I only played XIII-2 for about an hour before sending it back to the rental place. Too many annoying characters...
I guess I'm just not into the whole cutesy thing, which is often plentiful in Japanese games as it's just part of their culture.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say. Have to say that sometimes Snow is boring though, he's like a whiney kid out to save Serah... and he's like that for the entire trilogy.

HeelPower

Hell yeah.The characters in XIII-2 were a huge downgrade compared to XIII.

The character arcs felt like very generic anime/JRPG tropes.

In XIII they atleast tried to present something different and mature with the characters.

My 250GB SSD feels smaller and smaller every time I buy a new AAA game.

I have a 2TB drive where I store backups of all my Steam stuff, but it's always a laborious process when I have to decide just what to move there. It feels like I'm putting a game out to pasture, never to play it again (which is often true).

Anyway, whatever. FF13! How could a person possibly need another game?

HeelPower

Snow is the character I could stand least. The only one I found actively annoying really.

yeah snow is the worst character in the game but I think there is enough variety in the presentation.

I don't think he gets a lot of cutscene time apart from the hanging edge.

Arthea

Where's the cheapest place I can buy the game right now?

GMG?

It was $10 on Nuuvem recently but I think the deal ended, so probably gmg now

Snow is the character I could stand least. The only one I found actively annoying really.

I thought Snow was OK, maybe not OK as a person but as type of character that exists in reality too. I wasn't annoyed by him. I had problems with Lightning and Hope though, but I got over it, I think.

heiyu

i don't know if this is the reason everyone hates snow but the reason i can't stand him is because he reminds me of my douchiness when i was 15ish.

Corpekata

Banned
Snow, if taken a little further, honestly could've been like a parody of the typical JRPG hero. Square gets shit for its' moody heroes but I'll take them over the average JRPG hero that believes in the power of friendship, hope, and rainbows.

Snow and Hope, for me.

A lot of people hate Vanille, but I actually like her quite a bit. I think she has the most interesting character arc and pretty realistic motivations.

And Fang is, objectively, one of the best Final Fantasy characters period.

Sazh is cool. Lightning is...Lightning.

Arthea

Snow, if taken a little further, honestly could've been like a parody of the typical JRPG hero. Square gets shit for its' moody heroes but I'll take them over the average JRPG hero that believes in the power of friendship, hope, and rainbows.

but that's what makes them good, not everybody needs to be gritty gothic type with dark past, you know.
And I'm pretty sure you believed in power of friendship when you were kid, everybody does, it's nice to reminiscence at times ;)

Nevadatan

Snow wasnt as bad, he has the same attire as Saifer which is cool. i mean i found Squall way worse. (or even *cough*cloud*cough*, im not into gloomy characters)

but that's what makes them good, not everybody needs to be gritty gothic type with dark past, you know.
And I'm pretty sure you believed in power of friendship when you were kid, everybody does, it's nice to reminiscence at times ;)

I think the point is that there can be a middle ground between cartoonishly emo and absurdly childish.

Snow wasnt as bad, he has the same attire as Saifer which is cool. i mean i found Squall way worse. (or even *cough*cloud*cough*, im not into gloomy characters)

Cloud was never a gloomy type in FF7 though. He was the over-confident bad ass in the first part of the game, depressed mess in the second half, then the well rounded optimist in the final part. The whole emo-Cloud was a post-FF7 invention.

kick51

Banned
snow was grating and not really a human being, more of an anime character.

Vanille's running animation looks like it's almost making fun of a stereotypically girly way to run (similar to Yuna in X-2)

artsi

I liked Vanille and Snow, at least in Japanese. Hope is the character type I don't like, I wish they just kept kids away from JRPG parties.

I think the point is that there can be a middle ground between cartoonishly emo and absurdly childish.

Cloud was never a gloomy type in FF7 though. He was the over-confident bad ass in the first part of the game, depressed mess in the second half, then the well rounded optimist in the final part. The whole emo-Cloud was a post-FF7 invention.
i didnt even mind emo cloud in advent children, I just wish it didnt make people forget the actual FF7 cloud, he was a fantastic character

Top Bottom