• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Durante

i don't know if this is the reason everyone hates snow but the reason i can't stand him is because he reminds me of my douchiness when i was 15ish.
Snow, if taken a little further, honestly could've been like a parody of the typical JRPG hero. Square gets shit for its' moody heroes but I'll take them over the average JRPG hero that believes in the power of friendship, hope, and rainbows.
I think those are both part of it. He's supposed to be what, over 20 (?), and acts like a stupid 14 year old, and he's just so "shounen hero" in his entire belief system (if you can call it that).

I liked Sazh, Fang, Lightning, and even Vanille later in the game, and I can deal with Hope as a character who is, well, necessary to some degree. But Snow, I just hate his guts.

but that's what makes them good, not everybody needs to be gritty gothic type with dark past, you know.
Even though a lot of JRPGs, anime and also lots of western media targeted at teenagers doesn't always show it, there is a huge sea of possible characters between "brooding gothic emo" and "happy friendship-powered hero". /rant

Arthea

I think the point is that there can be a middle ground between cartoonishly emo and absurdly childish.

Cloud was never a gloomy type in FF7 though. He was the over-confident bad ass in the first part of the game, depressed mess in the second half, then the well rounded optimist in the final part. The whole emo-Cloud was a post-FF7 invention.
I actually don't know any FF emo character aside of Squal, and yes, he is a tad annoying. As for absurdly childish part, not sure what you mean.

but he is the type with dark past. Don't get me wrong, I like Cloud, but I wouldn't want all characters be like him. I usually ignore all past FF7 additions to FF7. Not only Cloud most characters are stupefied. Have you seen Dissidia?

Shosai

Banned
The problem with the Final Fantasy XIII characters is that they don't serve a narrative purpose in introducing the fantasy world to the audience.

Sci-fi and fantasy stories live and die based on their characters, because if they aren't familiar then all you're left with is a weirdo foreign universe with aliens and monsters that you could nuke without anyone batting an eyelash. Compare the Star Wars prequels to Guardians of the Galaxy.

FF games typically use a ragtag cast of characters with different backgrounds + someone with amnesia to justify explaining lore terms to each other and the audience. This never really happens in FFXIII because all the characters already know everything about Cocoon. So the only thing they add to the story are their personal struggles (which are resolved in 5 minutes) and their personalities, which are hit and miss.

As a result of the poor character writing, most people are left without a personal stake in the world and we have to read the in-game encyclopedia to know anything. Rumor has it that Vanille was originally intended to be the main protagonist, and the game would start after she woke up on Cocoon not remembering anything. As annoying as she was this would have made a much better first chapter.

EDIT: I can and have written pages about all the flaws of FFXIII, but I still really enjoyed it.

Nevadatan

Cloud was never a gloomy type in FF7 though. He was the over-confident bad ass in the first part of the game, depressed mess in the second half, then the well rounded optimist in the final part. The whole emo-Cloud was a post-FF7 invention.

more like an over-confident jerk. he demands barret to pay him even when the money was for marlenee's school. and being a completely asshole around tifa
yeah it was all part of him not being able to remember his past self and all but dude that was some bad acttitude.
but the character works fine on the game. so im not complaining anymore.
Advent Children rendition was just depressing.

Kazdane

f67629a2eca3d3a4328d88335c14a075.png

BRING IT ON!

Downloading at a super constant rate, between 12 and 12,4mb/s (100mb connection).

Lightning Returns had positives? How do you make the best of something that doesn't exist?

I loved the hell out of Lightning Returns and I only wish it had been a B-tier original IP from SE instead of tied to FFXIII. It did a lot of things right and I think it would have been received significantly better had it not been labeled a Final Fantasy game.

Also 49.4GB my god I'm gonna be downloading this for a week.

kick51

Banned
also, Vanille's antler weapon is really weird. It somehow fit her, but it's really weird. Probably one of the weirdest weapons i've ever seen in a game.

Danlord

I know this has been mentioned before but I checked a tiny bit further. In the properties it can be selected to participate in the SteamVR beta, but I did a TINY amount of amateur digging and inside there is folders

"H:\FFXIII\SteamApps\downloading\250820\drivers\oculus\bin\win32" and inside the .dll there's references to RiftDK1 and RiftDK2.

bunch of stuff I found;
Incompatible protocol version. Please make sure your OVRService and SDK are both up to date. {ERR-002} [Session] REJECTED: Rift application is using an incompatible version
NeckEyeVert NeckEyeHori Profile Oculus Profile Version . ProductID Device Oculus Device Profile Version

I wonder why this has been included within the package?

Perhaps Square-Enix are testing some unrelated VR work and accidentally included some files within this package?

more like an over-confident jerk. he demands barret to pay him even when the money was for marlenee's school. and being a completely asshole around tifa
yeah it was all part of him not being able to remember his past self and all but dude that was some bad acttitude.
but the character works fine on the game. so im not complaining anymore.
Advent Children rendition was just depressing.
cloud's arc was so much more satisfying thanks to his assholeish start

Tifa saving him from himself was a great moment

downloading now at 9.7 MBps

Uhhh Yoshichan, what's up, I hate FFXIII too. Yeah. Please, please whatever you do, please don't gift me that game. I hated all the 150 hours I put into the PS3 version, and getting all the trophies was such a slog, too. Lightning sucks.

long live the savior

I loved the hell out of Lightning Returns and I only wish it had been a B-tier original IP from SE instead of tied to FFXIII. It did a lot of things right and I think it would have been received significantly better had it not been labeled a Final Fantasy game.

This is exactly what I've always thought about FFXIII, as well.

Arthea

Even though a lot of JRPGs, anime and also lots of western media targeted at teenagers doesn't always show it, there is a huge sea of possible characters between "brooding gothic emo" and "happy friendship-powered hero". /rant

Oh, I wholeheartily agree, variety is a key, what I was trying to say, I don't really get why westerners hate with such passion positive naive teenage type. I kinda like this type, it's good for games too imo, as it lets character to develop and evolve during a game, it can even turn into cynic with dark past type by the end of the game.
While if you make your main character cynic it can't turn into naive and friendship powered, not possible.

Zafir

Also 49.4GB my god I'm gonna be downloading this for a week.

I certainly think it would have greatly benefited from not being related to XIII. The story was terrible. However, the world itself I actually thought they did well. I liked all the different sections, how it changed based on time and the fact that NPCs had schedules and all that. It really made the world feel alive. The fact it was tied to such an atrocious plot really did it a disservice.

TheTux

Uhhh Yoshichan, what's up, I hate FFXIII too. Yeah. Please, please whatever you do, please don't gift me that game. I hated all the 150 hours I put into the PS3 version, and getting all the trophies was such a slog, too. Lightning sucks.

long live the savior

Only 150 hours? Amateur!

Nice try though.

Dr Dogg

http://i.imgur.com/agVnNzu.png[IMG]

300kb/s - Birthday postponed. Stupid shitty internet haha[/QUOTE]

And this makes me feel bad for moaning in the thread earlier. Then again us UK broadband crippled folks need to stick together. I'm actually seeing if I can finish off Alien Isolation before this finishes downloading. Actually I might be able to crack out a few more things I've started and not finished but the time this is done!

Arthea

just freed some space for FF13, guess it means I am replaying it. Only not preloading, will dl tomorrow after it unlocks.

artsi

Dual Audio? Where was this confirmed? And why is the asian version like 10GB smaller?

Not officially confirmed, but there's a Japanese language option in Steam and the size suggests that there's additional languages / cutscenes in the western version.

I actually had no issue with Lightning in my 12 hours of playing this game on 360 (also kind of like her design), Snow though.....fuck that guy.

I found Hope the most annoying. Never got to finish the game though so maybe my opinion will change. Only got up the
gran pulse area with the huge field.

Kuja9001

Banned
That's pretty much what I was trying to say. Have to say that sometimes Snow is boring though, he's like a whiney kid out to save Serah... and he's like that for the entire trilogy.

When was he whiny at all? I don't recall any of it in XIII-2(Novellas) and LR(plus its novella).

Top Bottom