• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
fJmVEgFl.jpg

Final Fantasy XIV Website : Beta Launch Trailer : Twitter

EU Store Link : NA Store Link

I'm making this a pretty bare bones OT, with most of the info being directly relevant to the PS4 beta. About 90% of the information presented below is directly ripped from the pre-existing FFXIV OTs made by various other GAFers, specifically Riposte, Ebil, Jijidasu, and Kokonoe. Props to them for all the hard work they put in. There's a ton of gameplay info linked below -- make sure to check it out!

Please use spoiler tags for spoilers. You can mark spoilers using these brackets:
spoilery information[/ spoiler]. You'll have to remove the space in the second bracket, though.

Playstation Blog said:
Beta Info
  • Phase 1: February 22nd to March 3rd.
  • Phase 2: April 4th to April 7th.
  • [Edit : The final retail version launches April 14th.]
  • The beta will be accessible for everyone with a PS4, and directly downloadable from PlayStation Store.
  • There will be a character wipe after phase 1.
  • Players who made their character in beta phase two will be able to bring this data to the retail version.
  • PS3 and PC players of FFXIV will be able to transfer character data to the PS4 (please note that this is only necessary for the beta — in the retail version, all players will play on the same servers).

Playstation Blog said:
PS4 Features
  • Upgraded graphics on the PS4 in glorious 1080p (see trailer).
  • PS Vita Remote Play — craft, gather, and play wherever you go.
  • Share-support — stream your gameplay or share screenshots.
  • Mouse & Keyboard Support — switching over from a PC? No problem!
  • Touchpad-Support — the touchpad of Dualshock 4 is fully supported.

If you're new to the game and the MMO genre as a whole (like me!), there is A LOT to learn. Just go with the flow and don't worry if you're a little lost. The character you create in Phase 1 of the beta will be wiped, so there's plenty of room for error! Use that as a practice run, learn the ropes a bit, and then make your Phase 2 character the real deal. Your Phase 2 character will carry over to the retail version, if you want.

With that said, here's a ton of information for you to pour over! If you have a question, there's a good chance one of the resources below has your answer. Please dig through these links a little before posting a question in this thread.

Resources + Guides - [Feel free to PM me other resources, especially ones for new players.]

That's it for now. Again, check out the FFXIV:ARR OT and other resources linked above! They have all the gameplay info you're looking for. Let me know if you think something should be added to this post, though. There's no need to completely recreate the already existing OTs, but if there's some important nugget that would help new players, I'd be happy to add it. Thanks, and see you in Eorzea!

dc89

I really enjoyed the game on PS3, playing it with my bro who was playing on PC was pretty great.

I'll be getting the beta to see the update graphics and if I really enjoy it I'll sink some time into the full game when it's released.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how physical edition PS3 owners get the free upgrade to PS4? I imagine it's done through the SE account?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I love this game, even if I don't play it as much these days. Come on 2.2!

"beating" the current game before 2.1 hit really sucked and I'm jealous of all the new players who get all the end game content that won't be pointless to them

Aeana

I love this game, even if I don't play it as much these days. Come on 2.2!

"beating" the current game before 2.1 hit really sucked and I'm jealous of all the new players who get all the end game content that won't be pointless to them
We beat the stuff early on too, but I've still been logging on to work on alternate jobs and stuff. Eventually I'll have that stuff maxed out, but for now I'm still okay. A couple of other people in my group have all battle/crafting jobs at 50, but I'm not quite that fast.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
We beat the stuff early on too, but I've still been logging on to work on alternate jobs and stuff. Eventually I'll have that stuff maxed out, but for now I'm still okay. A couple of other people in my group have all battle/crafting jobs at 50, but I'm not quite that fast.

Yeah, there is all that stuff to do too if you can get into it. My problem was I pretty much rushed to the end of coil. Then at that point there is really nothing else unless you want to do side jobs for fun. Which is a very reasonable thing to do. I never really had a soft spot for alts though. Hell when I played WoW for about 7 1/2 years I never leveled a single alt past level 24, but I did all the end game raiding.

I think I personally just get too invested in the one playstyle I end up liking.

Aeana

Yeah, there is all that stuff to do too if you can get into it. My problem was I pretty much rushed to the end of coil. Then at that point there is really nothing else unless you want to do side jobs for fun. Which is a very reasonable thing to do. I never really had a soft spot for alts though. Hell when I played WoW for about 7 1/2 years I never leveled a single alt past level 24, but I did all the end game raiding.

I think I personally just get too invested in the one playstyle I end up liking.
I was motivated by wanting to at least have every role covered so I could help people no matter what they needed, but now I just wanna max everything and have experience with all of the jobs.

Chesskid1

Banned
i have about 20 days left in my free trial on the ps3 version, first time playing. i'm really enjoying it and i'm only about level 14, still so much to explore and learn. (never really played MMOs before).

i'm thinkin about just quitting and waiting for the ps4 version, if it's exceptionally good i guess i can wait. don't mind paying for a month since it was so cheap on sale. hyped for beta.

Aeana

i have about 20 days left in my free trial on the ps3 version, first time playing. i'm really enjoying it and i'm only about level 14, still so much to explore and learn. (never really played MMOs before).

i'm thinkin about just quitting and waiting for the ps4 version, if it's exceptionally good i guess i can wait. don't mind paying for a month since it was so cheap on sale. hyped for beta.
Why do that? The PS4 version will let you use your same character on the same servers when you switch over to it.

Jacobbles

Glad that the thing is available to download right now even if the servers aren't up- on my terrible Australian connection it's probably gonna take at least 24 hours to download the 11GB client ._.

Chesskid1

Banned
Why do that? The PS4 version will let you use your same character on the same servers when you switch over to it.

Just because i think i'll enjoy it much more with a stable framerate and for the art to really shine on the ps4. I did some boss story quest and it was like 15-20 fps with several enemies and NPCs.

I'm thinking of stopping playing the ps3 version because there's not much to play on the ps4 and it'll be kind of a bummer if i do most of the questing in FF14 before it comes out on the ps4.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'll be playing in the JP beta this weekend. Looking forward to picking up my PS4 and having so much to play. This is great.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be playing in the JP beta this weekend. Looking forward to picking up my PS4 and having so much to play. This is great.
Oh yeah, I should mention this is in the OP, but I wouldn't be surprised if PSN as a whole goes down because of the Japanese console launch. If so hopefully they extend the beta.

CLBridges

Just downloaded the client to my PS4. So, seeing as I have nothing else to do this weekend (currently unemployed), I will be participating. What else is there to do between job searches except play vidya games. :(

erawsd

That trailer link is no bueno.

Does this have the upgraded graphics effects? It looked the same as the PC version but I might be mis-remembering how the PC game looks.

Number45

Will you be able to use a controller and keyboard at the same time? I imagine it would be really slow to type using the controller?
They've confirmed KBM support, so you should be able to. The gyro keyboard on the PS4 is *much* better than the PS3 input though.

So we can actually played the beta on Saturday?
I'm downloading now, I'm interested to play it as, I've never played a FF game properly, and I've never been drawn into an MMO.. but I've always wanted to give both a go. This seems like a good opportunity.

jiggles

Banned
Somebody join me on Cerberus. I'm too dug in now to start afresh, and I'm not paying that ludicrous fee to move my character to one of the main GAF hangouts.

Marceles

Can't wait to see the upgrade from PS3 to PS4. Might even go as far as relearn the game controls so that I can use a KB and mouse

Number45

So, does the Vita have Bluetooth kb/m support via remote play (a more serious question than it seems).
Well, technically all you're streaming is the controller inputs and display. So in theory I would expect a keyboard attached to the PS4 to work while in remote play. Hopefully anyway!

XTERC

Well, technically all you're streaming is the controller inputs and display. So in theory I would expect a keyboard attached to the PS4 to work while in remote play. Hopefully anyway!

Hmmm... while true and an interesting point, what about truly remote play? As in.. I'm at work during my lunch break, I'd like to craft a bit but speak with FC members?

Ferr986

That trailer link is no bueno.

Does this have the upgraded graphics effects? It looked the same as the PC version but I might be mis-remembering how the PC game looks.

Do you mean the DX11 upgrades? Nope, basically its the same as PC ver . It also runs at 30 fps on PS4.

erawsd

Do you mean the DX11 upgrades? Nope, basically its the same as PC ver . It also runs at 30 fps on PS4.

Yeah, I was talking about DX11. I remember Yoshi saying the PS4 game would use some of the new DX11 stuff and that the upgrade would launch around the same time as the PS4 version.

Axiom

Looking forward to this, I'd heard good things about how the PS3 version plays on a controller and trying to play with a controller is what turned me off playing DCUO on the PS4.

PS3 accounts get access to the PS4 version for free right, at the cost of losing access to PS3 play?

Number45

PS3 accounts get access to the PS4 version for free right, at the cost of losing access to PS3 play?
Yup, as long as the account has been logged into at least once you can transfer your account service to the PS4.

When does this come out on the PS4 in Australia? The beta isn't available to download.
Beta starts at the weekend, so perhaps in the EU store update today?

Axiom

When does this come out on the PS4 in Australia? The beta isn't available to download.
I'm near my bandwidth cap, but I was able to get it on the Aussie online store. It had the option to 'download to PS4'

Yup, as long as the account has been logged into at least once you can transfer your account service to the PS4.
Thanks, I'd picked up the PS3 version today for cheap assuming that. It's okay so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom