• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
hawkward.jpg

I'm just hoping the story in Heavensward is far more consist in quality then ARR. To me it was a a roller coaster ride that would show momentary signs of something great and then I'm right back to stupid shit like hunting down cheese for a banquet. Errand boy14, live out your wildest adventures as a pizza delivery boy and butler does not an epic story make.

So, I didn't accomplish all my goals.

I did get BSM to 50, but I didn't get SMN to 50. At 49. If I get Aurum Vale as my duty roulette, that might get me close enough to round out the rest with leves, but I doubt it.

I didn't get MIN to 50. Still at 47. I just didn't have it in me.

I wasn't able to go into the expansion with the amount of money I wanted. I guess I surpassed it if I include what my retainers have, but I wanted more!

I didn't get the full World of Darkness set for MNK. I never saw the legs drop once, and I went over 75 times. I sure hope there's something in place to protect from bad RNG in the expansion, because in doing some research, I wasn't the only one who hit a really bad string of luck.

All that said, I'm really looking forward to Thursday. What is everyone planning on doing first?

Fmal

Banned
So, I didn't accomplish all my goals.

I did get BSM to 50, but I didn't get SMN to 50. At 49. If I get Aurum Vale as my duty roulette, that might get me close enough to round out the rest with leves, but I doubt it.

I didn't get MIN to 50. Still at 47. I just didn't have it in me.

I wasn't able to go into the expansion with the amount of money I wanted. I guess I surpassed it if I include what my retainers have, but I wanted more!

I didn't get the full World of Darkness set for MNK. I never saw the legs drop once, and I went over 75 times. I sure hope there's something in place to protect from bad RNG in the expansion, because in doing some research, I wasn't the only one who hit a really bad string of luck.

All that said, I'm really looking forward to Thursday. What is everyone planning on doing first?

I have the weekend off (other than plans on Father's Day) so I'm going to mainline the main story (playing WAR) and get to the level 60 dungeons ASAP to see what sort of greasy exploits people find to accelerate gear accumulation before SE patches them out.

I play on Phoenix. It's an interesting server. It is definitely not the biggest EU server, at least not anymore. It was big early because it was one of the last ones to fill so a lot of people made chars there at release because they had few other options.

It's populated pretty well though. End game is pretty iffy, most groups are midcore to upper midcore raiders, all the hardcore went to Ragnarok and Cerberus I think.

It's a nice server though. If you want an fc to join and stuff let me know, I can invite you to mine. I'm Jeral Ba'ken in game.

Hmm I personally don't really care much for raiding so that is as of now somewhat irrelevant to me but it's still good to know for my friends. I see, the story for Phoenix sounds interesting :eek: And thanks for the offer, I think I'll eventually join my friends new FC though :)

As far as population goes, I googled a bit and Ragnarok seems to actually be the best population-wise while Phoenix is generally regarded as weaker population-wise, I guess I will have to see. Just for future use, if I pay 15€ again I could also transfer back to Ragnarok whenever I wish later on, right?

Teknoman

If you're on tonight, I'll be happy to tag along, as I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

Yeah i'll probably be on. Gotta get up early for work, but i'm definitely trying to tie up loose ends / get more under my belt with Marauder (since i've seen some skills I could've been a better Paladin with...and for Dark Knight) and Dragoon (blood for blood ala Monk).

edgefusion

Okaaaay I'm getting real worried now. I keep getting a "Your ID or password is incorrect" error when I try to log in to the game, but I can log in to the Mogstation etc. just fine with the SAME ID and password. What's going on???

BadRNG

So whoever said bard had a single-target LB was just wrong, I take it?

...do we get caster lb1/lb2 then?
Did they say that? Well guess it doesn't matter, things change. They also said their LB could be a giant laser and that didn't happen.

I've been playing this game on and off since launch and I've finished the main story, but I skipped literally every single cutscene and dialogue section. Where can I read up on the ARR story and what's happening going into HW?
If you don't want to watch cutscenes and just want basics; (marking for those new people behind on MQ)
Dragons are pissed and are calling for war against Ishgard, Midgardsormr was revived and sealed your hero of light powers and is currently traveling with you in chibi form because reasons, there was a coup in Uldah and the lala queen is dead, you were framed for the murder and are currently on the run with Taru and Alph as the rest of the scions are implied dead making way for your escape from Uldah (but probably aren't really.)

Storyline gives meaning, gives context to things we do in video games. Of course enjoyment can come from pure gameplay aspects as well but emotional investment is a big thing. This is why I could never get into, say, World of Warcraft, in which levelling is a completely disjointed artificial experience in settings you probably don't care about with NPCs that have very little to say about themselves.

If you haven't been following the story since around the time you joined Scions after the first three dungeons, I'd say you've been missing out because as far as MMO and even Final Fantasy storylines go, it's pretty decent. I even used to recommend this game to people with the pitch that goes "At least try the story mode, you don't have to do hardcore weekly MMOey grinds if you don't want to".
It's funny because I found the story, and lore for that matter, far more interesting in Warcraft (don't even get me started on the characters part, FFXIV characters are almost universally terrible). The fact it had some incredible single player games/stories that built up the world beforehand certainly helped. The story wasn't as "cinematic" as FFXIV's early on but the stuff going on was often far more interesting, the Alliance Onyxia questline in vanilla is legit one of the coolest MMO moments I can think of. Of course the WoW plot sort of fell apart in my mind as time went on and they seemingly ran out of ideas, but it still had some pretty great highs to go along with the boar hidex10 lows. The biggest thing though is just that they didn't take itself too seriously during the lows, and it was designed to be done quickly since they understood it was of no importance.

If all the fetch bullshit in FFXIV was just designed like Hildibrand is, or many WoW side quests were, where it's just fun and not part of a bigger narrative I'd take less issue with it. But as is? The fact they actually try to put some kind of narrative value while simultaneously having you do bullshit just makes it all the more insufferable. Going from attempting to build a new world saving organization to handing out uniforms is just horribly jarring and detracts from the overall experience. Asking me to prove that I can handle a primal by planning a party after I just LITERALLY KILLED A PRIMAL is just dumb. The idea that it's an MMO so they should get a pass is just ridiculous to me, you can plan around the fact it's an MMO without insulting the player by acting as if the bullshit errands are actually important or relevant.

I appreciate the main story beats when something's actually happening but all the filler in between really winds me up.
Yeah, this is pretty much it for me, when things are actually happening the story is good. But as Ken said when 80% of the story is irrelevant it becomes increasingly difficult to appreciate the 20% that is.

I've seen a ton of people act like this game has a brilliant story, some even saying it's one of the best JRPG or Final Fantasy stories in recent memory, and that just leaves me dumbfounded. If this was a single player game it'd get destroyed, but people are so eager to give it a pass since it's an MMO even though it's not the MMO design that holds it down, it's how they decide to implement the MMO design into the story.

IvorB

Those need to be there for the main story beats to be interesting. I've never played a game that was all high points with no filler in between and I know you haven't either. Layer onto that with the fact that this is an MMO. Every MMO since ever has fetch quests and busy work so yeah I can appreciate the fact that they are actually giving me a real reason to do it that makes sense and spreads in some humor.

Well each to their own I guess.

Though this conversation has reminded me of some screenshots I took as a chronicle of my frustration so I may as well post them:

This guy:

Really, dude? The only person in this whole settlement you could turn to for this was the Warrior of Light, Saviour of Eorzia? Setting aside obviously the idea of just getting it your goddamn self.

I feel like Rowena gets it:

Why was she not running the Scions?

Nasser

Hey guys,

I bought the digital version of FFXIV and couldn't find registration code (I know you don't need one when you buy it digital) or even link my PSN to my SE account. I tried going to the MogStation and couldn't find my purchase of the game (The full game).I only found the beta that I played in 2014 when I log in to my account using the MogStation

http://i.imgur.com/KNZMcEwl.png

aceface

It's gonna get worse cause now there's lore reasons for ishgardians making you do dumb shit cause they hate outsiders.

Nasser: did you try launching the game? I think the first thing it does is have you link to the psn acct

Hey guys,

I bought the digital version of FFXIV and couldn't find registration code (I know you don't need one when you buy it digital) or even link my PSN to my SE account. I tried going to the MogStation and couldn't find my purchase of the game (The full game).I only found the beta that I played in 2014 when I log in to my account using the MogStation

http://i.imgur.com/KNZMcEwl.png

On playstation, you launch the game and they'll ask you if you want to link your account when they ask you for your login. I don't think you use the mogstation for anything other than buying stuff and what not, and even that may go through the PSN storefront, not sure.

Nasser

On playstation, you launch the game and they'll ask you if you want to link your account when they ask you for your login. I don't think you use the mogstation for anything other than buying stuff and what not, and even that may go through the PSN storefront, not sure.

I'm not sure but I think it didn't ask me if I wanted to link my account.

Nasser

Hmm my only other thought would be are you logged into the right PSN acct? Other than that I don't know.

yeah I'm using the same PSN account. I'm trying to email SE and see if they can help.

What if I delete the game and reinstall it again? Will that fix it?

Linkark07

Banned
Since the Steam sale has been... lackluster for me (or I have too many games on my backlog) decided to do the World Transfer to Ultros.

I remember hearing Yosida calling them advanced jobs before.

I guess they were trying to come up with a wording that doesn't make them sound objectively superior to the existing jobs. Not sure if 'Extra Jobs' hits quite the right note, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Pyramidbread

Neo Member
Alphinuad and Minfilia's new VA's sound great, I'm not sure if Merlwyb needed recasting, Kan-E-Senna sounded the same, as did Raubahn. The voice acting seems to be on a whole nother level in comparison to ARRs

Why'd they break out the currency window. Like, how many currencies are we gettng

A lot?

There's going to be base i140 at new story's end probably plus new base Relic.
The first Tomestones pre-Alexander will be the i150 ones, probably from level 60 dungeons.
The first Alexander Tomestones will be i160 to match drop ilvl from Alex Standard.
The second Alexander Tomestones will be i170 to match drop ilvl from Alex Savage.

Please look forward to it.

BadRNG

A lot?

There's going to be base i140 at new story's end probably plus new base Relic.
The first Tomestones pre-Alexander will be the i150 ones, probably from level 60 dungeons.
The first Alexander Tomestones will be i160 to match drop ilvl from Alex Standard.
The second Alexander Tomestones will be i170 to match drop ilvl from Alex Savage.

Please look forward to it.
Uh I think i170 is the very first set of tomes? Thought they were supposed to be the new darklight, aka old old phil tomes.

Don't think the stuff below that are from tomes.

edit - also I think they said ilevel jumps between raid tiers will be bigger than they were before, and not sure if they confirmed savage alexander will have comparable tome set.

Okaaaay I'm getting real worried now. I keep getting a "Your ID or password is incorrect" error when I try to log in to the game, but I can log in to the Mogstation etc. just fine with the SAME ID and password. What's going on???

I remember having a similar issue on PS4, the launcher was adding an extra space at the beginning or end of my online id... or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom