• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I want to gather a bit info on something, is anyone here playing on Phoenix? I ask because I'm on Ragnarok right now and might need to switch servers to Phoenix.

The situation is as follows: I play FF14 with two RL friends which helped me and supported me with pretty much everything in the game and really got me to love the game, heck FF14 ARR is the only MMO out of the tons I played where I reached max-level out of my own drive and joy with their help.

My friends started out on Ragnarok because they were Legacy FF14 1.0 players and that's why I made my character there too when I started ARR. Thing is, I'm not in a FC but I have a lot of random people on my friendlist which I always chat about and we help each other out with random things and I honestly love the community on Ragnarok, no matter which time I log in I always see people playing and that's one of the most important things for me in an MMO, to see the world is alive and filled with players.

Recently I've even been eying a FC to join because I met some very nice and fun people from it and a bit earlier I received a text message from my RL friends that they going to switch to Phoenix because they have a raid-group on there that pulled them through the Coils and since cross-server party organization is very difficult I can understand their desire to switch and they even said they will pay the character transfer for me as nice as they are.

Thing is, I know this probably sounds very silly since FF14 ARR is only a game but it's also the first MMO I really got attached to and the server Ragnarok sort of feels like "home". Without my RL friends I probably wouldn't even play anymore so I want to follow them but the whole thing is really sudden right before Heavensward and the suddenness of it makes me feel quite uneasy towards it since I also have to leave the few people of my friendlist behind :/

I know I could simply make a new character on Phoenix but I'm a very slow type of MMO player, up to the point that I needed a year to reach Level 50 as one class and I put so much time and effort in my current character getting to iLevel 110+ and everything that I don't want to leave that behind either and right now I feel a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place.

That said, can anyone tell me something about the average player population spread across the day of Phoenix compared to Ragnarok?

dvv1Te9.gif

Stuart444

So fucking hyped now.

Looks like we're getting a lot of story in this. (I know it's in the trailer but spoiler tags anyway):

Dragonsong War
Ascian Conflict
Ul'dah conflict
Warrior of Darkness

So much interesting story stuff there. Including what I might consider major spoilers but man, I am excited so the trailer has done its job.

Also can someone do a timestamp for the SMN LB for me then? I must have missed it.

So I want to gather a bit info on something, is anyone here playing on Phoenix? I ask because I'm on Ragnarok right now and might need to switch servers to Phoenix.

The situation is as follows: I play FF14 with two RL friends which helped me and supported me with pretty much everything in the game and really got me to love the game, heck FF14 ARR is the only MMO out of the tonne I played where I reached max-level out of my own drive and joy with their help.

My friends started out on Ragnarok because they were Legacy FF14 1.0 players and that's why I made my character there too when I started ARR. Thing is, I'm not in a FC but I have a lot of random people on my friendlist which I always chat about and we help each other out with random things and I honestly love the community on Ragnarok, no matter which time I log in I always see people playing and that's one of the most important things for me in an MMO, to see the world is alive and filled with players.

Recently I've even been eying a FC to join because I met some very nice and fun people from it and a bit earlier I received a text message from my RL friends that they going to switch to Phoenix because they have a raid-group on there that pulled them through the Coils and since cross-server party organization is very difficult I can understand their desire to switch and they even said they will pay the character transfer for me as nice as they are.

Thing is, I know this probably sounds very silly since FF14 ARR is only a game but it's also the first MMO I really got attached to and the server Ragnarok sort of feels like "home". Without my RL friends I probably wouldn't even play anymore so I want to follow them but the whole thing is really sudden right before Heavensward and the suddenness of it makes me feel quite uneasy towards it since I also have to leave the few people of my friendlist behind :/

I know I could simply make a new character on Phoenix but I'm a very slow type of MMO player, up to the point that I needed a year to reach Level 50 as one class and I put so much time and effort in my current character getting to iLevel 110+ and everything that I don't want to leave that behind either and right now I feel a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place.

That said, can anyone tell me something about the average player population spread across the day of Phoenix compared to Ragnarok?

I can't really comment on your last question, though I think Phoenix is one of the biggest EU servers if not the biggest?

What I will say though is that with all the upcoming server load character creation and world transfers could well be limited for a while as people start streaming back in for Heavensward. If I were you I would transfer before the servers go down, so either today or tomorrow.

If you still enjoy hanging out and playing with your IRL friends enough that you'd miss playing with them more than the friends you've found on the server then it's a no-brainer for me.

With a new expansion you're going to want to play with people that you can discuss every facet of the game with either in person or on Skype, so having IRL friends to do that with will make it a better experience. I know you said you're a slow type of MMO player, which makes switching servers all the more sensible. You will have your main on the server with your IRL friends in an FC with a load of stuff to do and people to play with. In your own time you could then just make a character on Ragnarok since you could be much slower about levelling that.

Just my 2 cents on your situation. Make the transfer now and if you miss your Ragnarok friends you can make a new character in the future to talk with them. Whatever you decide to do, hope it works out for you :)

I can't really comment on your last question, though I think Phoenix is one of the biggest EU servers if not the biggest?

What I will say though is that with all the upcoming server load character creation and world transfers could well be limited for a while as people start streaming back in for Heavensward. If I were you I would transfer before the servers go down, so either today or tomorrow.

If you still enjoy hanging out and playing with your IRL friends enough that you'd miss playing with them more than the friends you've found on the server then it's a no-brainer for me.

With a new expansion you're going to want to play with people that you can discuss every facet of the game with either in person or on Skype, so having IRL friends to do that with will make it a better experience. I know you said you're a slow type of MMO player, which makes switching servers all the more sensible. You will have your main on the server with your IRL friends in an FC with a load of stuff to do and people to play with. In your own time you could then just make a character on Ragnarok since you could be much slower about levelling that.

Just my 2 cents on your situation. Make the transfer now and if you miss your Ragnarok friends you can make a new character in the future to talk with them. Whatever you decide to do, hope it works out for you :)

Thanks for the reply! :) Hmm that's reassuring to hear about Phoenix, I just wondered because whenever someone told me they wanted to make a new character on Ragnarok it was literally always the last server to open up character creation, based on that I always assumed that Ragnarok was the biggest EU server :eek:

You do have a point though, I guess in light of the expansion it would really be the best to switch with them because I'm skyping with my RL friends practically daily and it really is an integral part of the experience for me. Good idea though about moving my current character and then making a new one on Ragnarok, I didn't consider that and it does sound like the most logical and sensible idea so I'll probably go with that.

Also thanks for the warning, I forgot it's already Tuesday and we are close to the servers getting flooded, I guess I'll talk with my friends tonight and see that we do it. I just have this weird feeling that the game suddenly would be different, which is probably more in my head than anything really :p

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So fucking hyped now.

Looks like we're getting a lot of story in this. (I know it's in the trailer but spoiler tags anyway):

Dragonsong War
Ascian Conflict
Ul'dah conflict
Warrior of Darkness

So much interesting story stuff there. Including what I might consider major spoilers but man, I am excited so the trailer has done its job.

Also can someone do a timestamp for the SMN LB for me then? I must have missed it.

I just want most of those stories to be concluded within this expansion, and let the inevitable ".1" patches have new story elements to build on.

BadRNG

I just want most of those stories to be concluded within this expansion, and let the inevitable ".1" patches have new story elements to build on.
I could see everything but the Ascian plot tied up, they are too big and important, will probably have their own expansion along with Zodiark as the main villain.

But I mean, 2.0 solved most of it's main story before any patches, the Gaius/Empire plot was the main focus and it was finished up nicely. They could do the same here with the Dragonsong War and such, with the patches being about the fallout of what ever happens.

(I still think 4.0 will be Garlean focused)

Wilsongt

It's so nice to know that, at least at lb3, I will no longer pull a staff out of my ass when my weapon is a book

Makes me wonder if lb1 and 2 have changed.

Also, that iron giant minion is super cute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom