• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkark07

Banned
Damn those LBs. DRK just cuts a hole in the sky, SMN gets Megaflare,, NIN gets unlimited
ninja
blade works. Such hype. Love the little bow on the BRD's arrow rain too.

Poor PLD/WHM/MNK/BLM who get nothing.

And I was planning on leveling first PLD then MNK *cry*

Now I need to start leveling NIN and BRD. Loved those two LBs.

Teknoman

Zodiark is on the scene now. Its going to interesting to see how the Warrior of Darkness looks/who is chosen.

If Warrior got a new LB3, Paladin should too.

Ken

Launch trailer was so story heavy which makes me kind of worried that there isn't that much substantial unique content at launch to run outside of said story.

I'm guessing a bulk of Heavensward's early life will be spent leveling new and old which is kind of eh.

Also sort of called the hail of arrows LB for bard!

Sorian

Banned
Zodiark is on the scene now. Its going to interesting to see how the Warrior of Darkness looks/who is chosen.

If Warrior got a new LB3, Paladin should too.

Is everyone ready for this post? Seriously, you have to be ready for this one. I'm going to be dropping a bigger bomb than anything sony had last night. Ready?

The Warrior of Darkness

will

be

Minfilia

iammeiam

Launch trailer was so story heavy which makes me kind of worried that there isn't that much substantial unique content at launch to run outside of said story.

I'm guessing a bulk of Heavensward's early life will be spent leveling new and old which is kind of eh

The drip feed of Alexander content/the relics kind of backs this up--the staggering will help a little, at least, but I'm guessing we kind of know most or all of what there is to actually do at launch.

Maybe Bismarck and Ravana HM will actually be challenging?

Dunan

Yeah, the scaling in the Character Creator Benchmark works at any arbitrary resolution. I've written quite a lot about Squenix's UI already in my Official Forums thread. It was the first thing I tested when the benchmark was released. I really hope they have a fully scalable UI in the Heavensward client.

Thank you once again for bringing more attention to this; the tiny UI, and the fact that the maximum size is such a weird number (140% isn't as smooth as 150% or 200% would be because you're rendering 1.4 pixels per original pixel rather than something rounder) is just inexcusable.

I have a PS4, but play in plain 720p SD mode because it's the only way to have readable fonts on my television. A 1080p television that would ordinarily display a beautiful image.

Fmal

Banned
I've been playing this game on and off since launch and I've finished the main story, but I skipped literally every single cutscene and dialogue section. Where can I read up on the ARR story and what's happening going into HW?

Teknoman

I've been playing this game on and off since launch and I've finished the main story, but I skipped literally every single cutscene and dialogue section. Where can I read up on the ARR story and what's happening going into HW?

While the fanboy side of me is internally flipping out on how someone could skip every cutscene and dialog section in a story focused game like this...you can just check out the most important scenes at the inn.

edgefusion

I can log in to the Mogstation but trying to log into FFXIV on my PS4 gives me an "incorrect password" error, what gives? I want to play!

dcye

So I want to gather a bit info on something, is anyone here playing on Phoenix? I ask because I'm on Ragnarok right now and might need to switch servers to Phoenix.

The situation is as follows: I play FF14 with two RL friends which helped me and supported me with pretty much everything in the game and really got me to love the game, heck FF14 ARR is the only MMO out of the tons I played where I reached max-level out of my own drive and joy with their help.

My friends started out on Ragnarok because they were Legacy FF14 1.0 players and that's why I made my character there too when I started ARR. Thing is, I'm not in a FC but I have a lot of random people on my friendlist which I always chat about and we help each other out with random things and I honestly love the community on Ragnarok, no matter which time I log in I always see people playing and that's one of the most important things for me in an MMO, to see the world is alive and filled with players.

Recently I've even been eying a FC to join because I met some very nice and fun people from it and a bit earlier I received a text message from my RL friends that they going to switch to Phoenix because they have a raid-group on there that pulled them through the Coils and since cross-server party organization is very difficult I can understand their desire to switch and they even said they will pay the character transfer for me as nice as they are.

Thing is, I know this probably sounds very silly since FF14 ARR is only a game but it's also the first MMO I really got attached to and the server Ragnarok sort of feels like "home". Without my RL friends I probably wouldn't even play anymore so I want to follow them but the whole thing is really sudden right before Heavensward and the suddenness of it makes me feel quite uneasy towards it since I also have to leave the few people of my friendlist behind :/

I know I could simply make a new character on Phoenix but I'm a very slow type of MMO player, up to the point that I needed a year to reach Level 50 as one class and I put so much time and effort in my current character getting to iLevel 110+ and everything that I don't want to leave that behind either and right now I feel a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place.

That said, can anyone tell me something about the average player population spread across the day of Phoenix compared to Ragnarok?

I play on Phoenix. It's an interesting server. It is definitely not the biggest EU server, at least not anymore. It was big early because it was one of the last ones to fill so a lot of people made chars there at release because they had few other options.

It's populated pretty well though. End game is pretty iffy, most groups are midcore to upper midcore raiders, all the hardcore went to Ragnarok and Cerberus I think.

It's a nice server though. If you want an fc to join and stuff let me know, I can invite you to mine. I'm Jeral Ba'ken in game.

Square Enix has completely obliterated this E3.

NieR 2
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Kingdom Hearts 3
Final Fantasy 14: Heavensward

What else am I missing?

NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.
NieR 2.

just a heads up, to mark the end of raiding in A Realm Reborn my group is going to try and pull ourselves
aka make scy carry us
through Turns 1-13 back to back tonight (including Turn 3). It will be awful. We will suck. It'll be amazing fun.

Red will probably be streaming the hilarity.

Ken

While the fanboy side of me is internally flipping out on how someone could skip every cutscene and dialog section in a story focused game like this...you can just check out the most important scenes at the inn.

Because when 80% of the cutscenes don't matter it's hard to predict the 20% that do before hitting that Skip Cutscene.

Valor

just a heads up, to mark the end of raiding in A Realm Reborn my group is going to try and pull ourselves
aka make scy carry us
through Turns 1-13 back to back tonight (including Turn 3). It will be awful. We will suck. It'll be amazing fun.

Red will probably be streaming the hilarity.

Well if scy wants less weight to carry, I should be around tomorrow to give this a shot.

Fmal

Banned

Is it really a story focused game or is it a game that just happens to have a story? I don't feel like the past year or so of me playing has been impeded by me skipping eveything at all.

edgefusion

Is everyone ready for this post? Seriously, you have to be ready for this one. I'm going to be dropping a bigger bomb than anything sony had last night. Ready?

The Warrior of Darkness

will

be

Minfilia

Hello? Ascians? Please come back to the Waking Void. I needs must speak with you!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Is it really a story focused game or is it a game that just happens to have a story? I don't feel like the past year or so of me playing has been impeded by me skipping eveything at all.

Storyline gives meaning, gives context to things we do in video games. Of course enjoyment can come from pure gameplay aspects as well but emotional investment is a big thing. This is why I could never get into, say, World of Warcraft, in which levelling is a completely disjointed artificial experience in settings you probably don't care about with NPCs that have very little to say about themselves.

If you haven't been following the story since around the time you joined Scions after the first three dungeons, I'd say you've been missing out because as far as MMO and even Final Fantasy storylines go, it's pretty decent. I even used to recommend this game to people with the pitch that goes "At least try the story mode, you don't have to do hardcore weekly MMOey grinds if you don't want to".

And if you skipped through Hildibrand questline, well you just did yourself a huge disservice.

Teknoman

More so than any other mmorpg anyway. It just helps dungeons, certain battles, and even equipment gains have more of an effect if you understand the reason behind them.

Fmal

Banned
Storyline gives meaning, gives context to things we do in video games. Of course enjoyment can come from pure gameplay aspects as well but emotional investment is a big thing. This is why I could never get into, say, World of Warcraft, in which levelling is a completely disjointed artificial experience in settings you probably don't care about with NPCs that have very little to say about themselves.

If you haven't been following the story since around the time you joined Scions after the first three dungeons, I'd say you've been missing out because as far as MMO and even Final Fantasy storylines go, it's pretty decent. I even used to recommend this game to people with the pitch that goes "At least try the story mode, you don't have to do hardcore weekly MMOey grinds if you don't want to".

And if you skipped through Hildibrand questline, well you just did yourself a huge disservice.

Fair enough, I guess I've just never really given a shit about any of that in any MMO I've played. I usually just watch Netflix or something on my second monitor while I hammer out quests.

wondering if anyone knows what type of sub you get from the game cards. I assume since its $30 for 60 days that's it's the $15 monthly sub with 8 characters but I cannot find any documention to actually answer the question.

Gonna preorder the xpac and I wanna start over the storyline without deleting my 50 monk/50 paladin and I wanna get the game card because I like getting reward points. if it add the additional slots otherwise I'll just use my credit card.

Dunan

Seconded; if that last Hildibrand quest ("The Gentlemen of Light") doesn't put a smile on your face, I don't know what will.

And for added enjoyment, imagine that Ultros is being voiced by Joe Pesci when he played a parody of himself in "Home Alone". I loved every minute of that part.

IvorB

I could do without the story to be honest. I can appreciate it to give some context and flavour to the world so really I would prefer just a high level briefing of what's going on rather than getting bogged down in stupid, annoying fetch quests and dialogue.

Sorian

Banned
I could do without the story to be honest. I can appreciate it to give some context and flavour to the world so really I would prefer just a high level briefing of what's going on rather than getting bogged down in stupid, annoying fetch quests and dialogue.

I wouldn't play your game.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
wondering if anyone knows what type of sub you get from the game cards. I assume since its $30 for 60 days that's it's the $15 monthly sub with 8 characters but I cannot find any documention to actually answer the question.

Gonna preorder the xpac and I wanna start over the storyline without deleting my 50 monk/50 paladin and I wanna get the game card because I like getting reward points. if it add the additional slots otherwise I'll just use my credit card.

Game Time Card

60-Day Game Time Cards are available at participating video game retailers throughout North America and serve as a payment option allowing players to add 60 days of game time at the Standard subscription rate, subject to account limits.

60 days of game time will be added to your account once you redeem the 20-digit PIN code found on the card itself or on the purchase receipt, through Mog Station the FINAL FANTASY XIV Account Management System.
* Game Time Cards must be redeemed on Mog Station in order to receive the 60 days of game time

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/product/

IvorB

I wouldn't play your game.

Oh come on, you really like that stuff? Gathering ingredients for the Costa del Sol banquet, handing out uniforms, grocery shopping, finding random NPCs and items hidden on the map, speak to person at point A only for them to tell you to come to point B to continue talking to them. Does anyone like that stuff?

I appreciate the main story beats when something's actually happening but all the filler in between really winds me up.

Fmal

Banned
Oh come on, you really like that stuff? Gathering ingredients for the Costa del Sol banquet, handing out uniforms, grocery shopping, finding random NPCs and items hidden on the map, speak to person at point A only for them to tell you to come to point B to continue talking to them. Does anyone like that stuff?

I appreciate the main story beats when something's actually happening but all the filler in between really winds me up.

There are people out there who legitimately enjoy the taste of human shit.

Sorian

Banned

Those need to be there for the main story beats to be interesting. I've never played a game that was all high points with no filler in between and I know you haven't either. Layer onto that with the fact that this is an MMO. Every MMO since ever has fetch quests and busy work so yeah I can appreciate the fact that they are actually giving me a real reason to do it that makes sense and spreads in some humor.

Fmal

Banned
Me chuckling at your horrible light farming luck now seems totally justifiable.

Sorry, I think I misrepresented myself. I'm not comparing side quests or whatever to the taste of human shit, I'm just saying that the question "does anyone really like X" is stupid because of course someone does. Lots of people are always going to like shit you find stupid or obnoxious or gross. If that guy can conceptualize the idea that there's someone out there who likes eating human feces, he shouldn't have any problem coming to terms with people liking boring side quests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom