• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Reviews - GameSpot 4/10, GameTrailers 4.2/10, GameSpy 2/5, IGN 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
notworksafe said:
Still spouting garbage, FF fans? I love this thread...every day I can come in here and see what it's like to live life in a delusional state.

And Londa, still waiting on proof for any claim you've made in this thread.

there's no point in arguing with FF fans, especially the FFXI crowd.

Most of the end game community complained for years about having to camp for anywhere between 30 minutes to 3 hours everyday in dragon's aery. They complained about it yet they still did it day in day out for months if not years.

I too did it for a few weeks before I realized how retarded it was.

clo1_2000

Banned
So, it finally happened to me last night. I started the debate with myself on whether or not I wanted to login just to complete my leves before the next reset. I logged in for 10 minutes and then logged off for the rest of the night. Fuck, I didn't expect this to happen so soon.

notworksafe

PandaPandaPanda said:
Most of the end game crowd complained for years about having to camp for anywhere between 30 minutes to 3 hours everyday in dragon's aery. They complained about it yet they still did it day in day out for months if not years.
To be fair...so did I. I was a big FFXI fan and played it on PC, PS2, and PS3. After S/SF4, it's still my most played game on the PS3.

I just can't do that kind of stuff anymore. I don't have the time or patience to deal with the huge timesinks. That's why I was so stoked at the casual focus that FFXIV was supposed to take. It just...didn't quite work out.

Yet. In a year, who knows?

notworksafe said:
Yet. In a year, who knows?

If this is your stance then why are you so interested in trashing the game and especially the people who legitimately enjoy it?
Okay I'll admit that certain members are asking for it.

notworksafe

HappyBivouac said:
If this is your stance then why are you so interested in trashing the game and especially the people who legitimately enjoy it?
Okay I'll admit that certain members are asking for it.
Because at the moment, it's terrible. Not just that it's terrible, but that it didn't have to be. It was clearly forced out early to milk PC players for cash to "finish" the game (or not. who knows what S-E will do with the money). To me, that is unacceptable.

Also it's fun to poke the delusional.

Londa said:
uh huh, I've already moved on from this. Have fun waiting for nothing. :lol

bad.gif
Poor

Kittonwy

Banned
nib95 said:
Square Enix have dropped the ball so bad this gen it's almost wiped them off my radar completely. I actually have very little faith in them any longer, and as such my excitement for even FFXIII Versus has plummeted.

Admittedly I did still purchase FFXIII, but I did wait for it to be £17 lol. Never in history (besides with FFX-2) have I not bought a Final fantasy game at launch. Bad times.

Wada is just driving SE into the ground, but the leads have to take most of the responsibilities for the quality of the products and the constant delays, I can't believe nowadays I can't reliably depend on SE to give me an actual blockbuster title to play every holiday season.

LaneDS

HappyBivouac said:
Holy shit, how long did it take for someone to be honest without tacking on the sensationalist bullshit? Bravo.

They tack on a middle finger right after that paragraph, if it makes you feel better.

LaneDS said:
They tack on a middle finger right after that paragraph, if it makes you feel better.

Hey I feel the same way about the game. It deserves a middle finger for being released in such a shitty unfinished state. But at least they were rational in the written review, instead of the "GAME SUCKS. AND ALSO YOU CAN'T PATCH IN FUN" crap that GS pulled.

Kittonwy said:
Wada is just driving SE into the ground, but the leads have to take most of the responsibilities for the quality of the products and the constant delays, I can't believe nowadays I can't reliably depend on SE to give me an actual blockbuster title to play every holiday season.

They had the nerve to play console war kingmakers with that game as well.

Gravijah

notworksafe said:
You're an ass too. :lol

Only partially true, but I couldn't pass it up

Hey, Londa isn't all bad! She likes Rune Factory! That makes her OK in my book with things not regarding FFXIV.

JudgeN

PandaPandaPanda said:
there's no point in arguing with FF fans, especially the FFXI crowd.

Most of the end game community complained for years about having to camp for anywhere between 30 minutes to 3 hours everyday in dragon's aery. They complained about it yet they still did it day in day out for months if not years.

I too did it for a few weeks before I realized how retarded it was.

A strong community will have you doing some crazy shit, remember those 3 1/2 hour dynamis runs? Yea I did hundreds of them :lol

Shit we need a "remembering FFXI thread" :D

clo1_2000 said:
So, it finally happened to me last night. I started the debate with myself on whether or not I wanted to login just to complete my leves before the next reset. I logged in for 10 minutes and then logged off for the rest of the night. Fuck, I didn't expect this to happen so soon.

Pretty much what have happened to me, I haven't logged in the whole day today and yesterday I was online for 10-15 min. It's sad, this was my most wanted game since they announced it at E3.

LaneDS

HappyBivouac said:
Hey I feel the same way about the game. It deserves a middle finger for being released in such a shitty unfinished state. But at least they were rational in the written review, instead of the "GAME SUCKS. AND ALSO YOU CAN'T PATCH IN FUN" crap that GS pulled.

Eh, I disagree about the GS review. Their claims were mostly sound as mentioned earlier, they talk about how the problems are current a few times, and state at the end that fun can't be added in with a simple patch... and honestly, with the state the game is in, that sounds about right. While the game can be made into something fun, a simple patch (again, GS's words) is not going to do it. Even with all of the issues like poor UI, lag, crashes, and bad performance resolved the game world would still be vast and empty... that is not the kind of issue that a simple patch is going to fix.

I think that review gets the brunt of the blame simply because it was the first major one out of the gate.

Torquill

"You can't patch in the fun" is a facually false statement.

EDIT:
That said, it's still an incredibly stupid idea to put your self in a position where you need to do so.

Khrno

PandaPandaPanda said:

Although that is true, the main reason I logged every day from 2006 to 2008 was to do HNMs, while keeping 2 or 3 mules on some places like KV, Tiamat, Cerb. Besides doing other events like Limbus, Salvage or Nyzul. But anyway, I never despised the spawn system, noe I complained about it, I actually loved it since it let me do more stuff while waiting for the pops. And no, I wasn't one of the botters, others might did that on their own, I was just there for the kill (and wait for my Ridill turn).

Ploid 3.0

JudgeN said:
A strong community will have you doing some crazy shit, remember those 3 1/2 hour dynamis runs? Yea I did hundreds of them :lol

Shit we need a "remembering FFXI thread" :D

These things always put me in a near sleep droop (you know when you jerk from falling asleep while sitting up or trying to stay awake).

nib95 said:
Square Enix have dropped the ball so bad this gen it's almost wiped them off my radar completely. I actually have very little faith in them any longer, and as such my excitement for even FFXIII Versus has plummeted.
I disagree with this. Well, partially. HD Square-Enix has been terrible, but they've produced a vast wealth of amazing portable games. The World Ends With You, 2x Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Kingdom Hearts: BbS, Dissidia, Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Heroes of Light...plenty of fantastic games still being produced.

WillyFive

RocketDarkness said:
I disagree with this. Well, partially. HD Square-Enix has been terrible, but they've produced a vast wealth of amazing portable games. The World Ends With You, 2x Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Kingdom Hearts: BbS, Dissidia, Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Heroes of Light...plenty of fantastic games still being produced.

That's just because Japan is moving to handhelds. Big budget and awesome are no longer mutual for Eastern games. Although it could be great seeing big budget games on a handheld. Without having to deal with HD graphics, imagine what a game could be like with such great production values afforded by a big budget!

LaneDS said:
Eh, I disagree about the GS review. Their claims were mostly sound as mentioned earlier, they talk about how the problems are current a few times, and state at the end that fun can't be added in with a simple patch... and honestly, with the state the game is in, that sounds about right. While the game can be made into something fun, a simple patch (again, GS's words) is not going to do it. Even with all of the issues like poor UI, lag, crashes, and bad performance resolved the game world would still be vast and empty... that is not the kind of issue that a simple patch is going to fix.
And yet the game is fun already, just annoying at times. And annoyance *can* be patched, which will make the game fun for the people who just can't enjoy a game unless it is the most perfect thing ever. With every patch, more people will be able to have fun. This week's patch, for example, will make crafting more fun, and aquiring weapons and armor more fun, at the minimum.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rahxephon91 said:
Square Enix's output has been fine. They already released the best jrpg this gen.

FFXIII Bitches!

It would just be too easy to quote your tag.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rahxephon91 said:
Well the jerk store called, and they're running out of you.

Cool.

"Who cares You're their all time best seller."

Rahxephon91 said:
Square Enix's output has been fine. They already released the best jrpg this gen.

FFXIII Bitches!
I actually loved FFXIII - it started out WAY slow, but it really picked up, and by the end it was a very cool game, especially the combat system and story. Unfortunately, the anti-hype that hit when XIII was first released, about how it was "all straight dungeons with no exploration at all" and "the tutorial's 25 hours long" made everybody think it was a horrible game, and they didn't even try it.

Eccocid

Ferrio said:
I wish this were true, we'd have some decent games.

Least we have World Ends with You

Oh yeah when you look like that yes we would have more creative games if they were stucked in their style at 90's :(
What i meant is they are stubborn to refuse change and globalization. Still focused on Japanese market which is not a selling point in the world anymore :(

WillyFive

Eccocid said:
Oh yeah when you look like that yes we would have more creative games if they were stucked in their style at 90's :(
What i meant is they are stubborn to refuse change and globalization. Still focused on Japanese market which is not a selling point in the world anymore :(

I think it's a good thing they are not trying to be more Westernized, that is not the problem.

The problem is the lack of quality. A game can be Japanese and still be good (case in point: Nintendo), but the problem is, the quality of it is not as good as we should expect from most in that side of the world.

Rahxephon91 said:
Well the jerk store called, and they're running out of you.

I heard that joke before, I want to say Mencia, but that would just be bad taste.

Zefah said:
No You are suppose to reply with

"Who cares You're their all time best seller"

I then reply with

"Well I had sex with your wife"

I like Seinfeld, your point about taste is invalid.

Willy105 said:
I heard that joke before, I want to say Mencia, but that would just be bad taste.
It's from Seinfeldfor Christs sake. Mencia really? Who goes that low?

DaBuddaDa

I've played FFXI since the NA launch day. Watching people defend FFXIV and hoping that it will improve drastically through patches is like a father watching his son make the same mistakes he made when he was young and being unable to stop him.

Eccocid said:
If you're talking about their focus on portable systems, I'm all for it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dreamwriter said:
I actually loved FFXIII - it started out WAY slow, but it really picked up, and by the end it was a very cool game, especially the combat system and story. Unfortunately, the anti-hype that hit when XIII was first released, about how it was "all straight dungeons with no exploration at all" and "the tutorial's 25 hours long" made everybody think it was a horrible game, and they didn't even try it.

What did you think was cool about the story? I'm genuinely curious, because personally, I think it was the worst aspect of the game.

notworksafe said:
NekuAv-Lakers-90.jpg

Seriously though. TWEWY 2 please!
TWEWY 2 on 3DS, utilizing StreetPass and SpotPass. Keep the lower-screen gameplay similar, and revamp the upper screen to do something cool with the 3D. Would buy 100 copies.

LaneDS

Torquill said:
"You can't patch in the fun" is a facually false statement.

EDIT:
That said, it's still an incredibly stupid idea to put your self in a position where you need to do so.

"Updates may address a multitude of flaws, but "fun" is not a feature that can be added with a simple patch."

That's the statement in question. Fun is of course subjective. Some folks find the game fun now, others think it's a total mess. The reviewer is perfectly allowed to say that a simple patch isn't going to make the game fun. It's not really a matter of true or false here, it's a matter of opinion, and given the problems the reviewer had with the game I see nothing wrong with him saying that. I personally agree for the reasons I stated in my last post. What constitutes a "simple patch" is also of course subjective, so this is probably silly for all of us to argue about.

Dreamwriter- as much as I wanted the game to be fun, I found it wholly the opposite. I am still glad though that some folks are enjoying it. Believe me when I say I didn't spend $75 just for the privilege of complaining about the game on forums... it was a legitimately disappointing experience here.

notworksafe

RocketDarkness said:
TWEWY 2 on 3DS, utilizing StreetPass and SpotPass. Keep the lower-screen gameplay similar, and revamp the upper screen to do something cool with the 3D. Would buy 100 copies.
...so....beautiful. ;_;

Khrno

DaBuddaDa said:
I've played FFXI since the NA launch day. Watching people defend FFXIV and hoping that it will improve drastically through patches is like a father watching his son make the same mistakes he made when he was young and being unable to stop him.

What is improve drastically?

This is what needs to be fixed:
- Server lag
- UI lag
- Skill Points to be less randomly obtained (a green mob doesn't need to give 0 to 500 SP, just between 100 and 200, and make it accordingly for all other mob levels)
- Battle Regimen
- Unbind Arrow keys for camera use

And the content that needs to be added, and it's going to be added:
- AH or a search function for the retainers (which we should see on tomorrow's patch).
- Transportation (Chocobos, carriages, airships, way to refill Anima besides waiting)
- More quests, missions.
- More mobs to fill up the empty maps.

I don't see how any of these points would be a drastic change, or how would it be impossible for SE to fix/add within 6 months or a year at most.

Then again I'm leaving out class balance as in that will always be a work in progress in a MMO, especially when it's not even at the real level cap.

Zefah said:
What did you think was cool about the story? I'm genuinely curious, because personally, I think it was the worst aspect of the game.
I liked the unique setting the plot took place in, the dual-world aspect of it and how the big city of the one world was made up of bits of the second world (though I would have liked a lot more back-and-forth between the two worlds). I liked how just about every single person in the world was against the main characters - regular random people, not just the army/ruling class; that added quite a bit of tension to the story, the fact that people were just totally freaked out by the main characters when they realized who they were.
And the fact that, throughout the game the characters thought their task wasn't what everyone thought it was, thought they were really helping everyone, when in fact their task was EXACTLY what everyone else thought. A lot of games would have run with that, having their task really end up being about saving the world.

In the end, though, there's nothing really specific that I liked/didn't like about the story - I just enjoyed the story overall.

Khrno

notworksafe said:
This makes me laugh more than anything else. The big sequel to skillchains is totally broken and has been since Alpha. Just give us chains back in the meantime, Square.

Definitively, even if it's not to make skillchains but just to do debuff, as far as they don't have to be "prepared and readied", that would just make them ok.

Ploid 3.0

Dreamwriter said:

I liked a couple of FF games (loved ff12, and wish ff11 had a offline version), but there was no way I was touching FF13. I can even get this game for free pretty much but I'm still passing it up. I seen enough of it to know I won't like it. I watched people play it at the JP release. I also watched DSP (youtube game player) play it, and his commentary wasn't enough to keep me interested. I bet most people did their research and saw it wasn't something they were interested in. Again, most available game on Goozex it seems. A new SE game at that.

Untitledf1.jpg

At the rate supply keeps rising, and the points on this thing keep dropping, it'll be soon available for 100 points and that's as low as points go (ps2 games).

Coldsnap

DaBuddaDa said:

yea but didn't FFXI turn out to be a good game for people who like that sorta play after all?

Khrno

Coldsnap said:
yea but didn't FFXI turn out to be a good game for people who like that sorta play after all?

Seems like he played it for like 5 or 6 years doing everything in the game but he didn't enjoy or had fun a single moment of it or something. Weird dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom