• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

ZeoVGM

Banned
So guys, I know this might be a loaded question but I'll give it a go:

I've played FFXIV but not a lot. For a couple weeks, didn't get far at all, decided not to keep going because I was between jobs and and decided to irresponsibly spent money I didn't have on toys instead of video games.

What's the best way to jump into XIV now? From what I've read, you have to do all the story stuff from AAR and Heavensward anyway. Are there any tips as to what is the best way to go about jumping in now?

scy

So why do people think atm that everything is going to be PLD/PLD

Ast/Ast I can sorta understand the logic behind *not happening still* but what is making people say pld/pld

I mean, AST/AST already happened a fair amount? Same for WAR/WAR and PLD/PLD is simply the same logic behind it: it'll do the most damage currently.

If you mean that it'll be the most widespread setup then, no, not really. Barring outside maybe a lot more PLDs simply existing than the others, anyway, but by and large groups are typically what people want to be rather than strictly the best things on paper. Memes aside, anyway.

dark_chris

I've played FFXIV but not a lot. For a couple weeks, didn't get far at all, decided not to keep going because I was between jobs and and decided to irresponsibly spent money I didn't have on toys instead of video games.

What's the best way to jump into XIV now? From what I've read, you have to do all the story stuff from AAR and Heavensward anyway. Are there any tips as to what is the best way to go about jumping in now?

Go through the story. You can unlock more quests and get further in. Yes, to get into storm blood, you need to have beaten Heavensward, which also requires you to be the AAR story.
There plenty of things to do to keep you going

Yaska

You can buy Stormblood to get access to Heavensward as well. If you want to skip everything, there are skip potions you can use to get your job quests and main story quests done. Recommended way is to get Stormblood and go through the story and enjoy the world.

Foxxsoxx

You can spend money on potions that will complete the main scenario and get you to 60 with some gear which would cost $50 all together or just play through all the content up to 4.0.

Honestly I would probably play through the content instead of skipping everything, especially if money is an issue. Especially considering the game is so story focused (well it becomes story focused at the end of ARR.)

I'm so glad that PotD is now cross-world.

Agreed, definitely an awesome change!

FireVoa

If I've never done Palace of the Dead can I still do it at SB launch to level to 60 with SAM? And also, more importantly, what should I know about it?

I saw some previous posts chuckling away at the idea of doing PotD with people who don't know what they are doing and I'd rather be a help not a hindrance.

Jump potion if you want to go to the expansion. It's expensive though and kind of ruins the experience, imo. If you dont care about story or cutscenes and the like I guess it is there but yeah. Find a class you are interested in and go from there.

v1perz53

So Paladin sounds strong, but did it get any less boring? I mentioned before, but Requiescat -> Holy Spirit spam sounds super boring even if strong and all the combos are super straight forward, use one 3 part combo for enmity, one for damage and one to keep up a DoT, always the same. Combined with the most boring stances of any of the tanks , one for defense and one for offense both totally ignored and passive, and now the most boring gauge of any tank with very limited options to spend it on, and Paladin to me always felt like it was missing some form of interactivity, some kind of a proc or something that you need to react to that changes what you do. As it seems, any time enmity isn't an issue you just Requiescat->Spam holy spirit every 60 seconds, goring blade combo to keep up debuff otherwise royal authority combo, hit shelltron every 50 gauge and shield swipe when you can. Just seems very lacking in decision making or reactionary changes to what you're doing.

Then again, hitting Fel Cleave 6 times in a row also sounds boring even if it does a ton of DPS so maybe I'm just not the target audience for the changes to tanks in stormblood. I guess I should actually try to play it before judging though, but I really WANT to like paladin, the theme fits what I prefer perfectly, I've just always found it boring to play and I don't see that changing.

Because no one cares about LB buildup outside of when usage of LB is forced by a mechanic like Teraflare?

If PLD/PLD offers superior DPS over any other combination, and there's nothing forcing use of LB, parties will pick the superior DPS option. I'm not sure what's so shocking about this.

PLD/PLD now offers superior utility over any other combination too.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/327057-Shield-Wall-A-Dual-Paladin-Static

But hey!

Can PLD cure himself from status ailments like WAR!! CAN THEY?

Armaros

So Paladin sounds strong, but did it get any less boring? I mentioned before, but Requiescat -> Holy Spirit spam sounds super boring even if strong and all the combos are super straight forward, use one 3 part combo for enmity, one for damage and one to keep up a DoT, always the same. Combined with the most boring stances of any of the tanks , one for defense and one for offense both totally ignored and passive, and now the most boring gauge of any tank with very limited options to spend it on, and Paladin to me always felt like it was missing some form of interactivity, some kind of a proc or something that you need to react to that changes what you do. As it seems, any time enmity isn't an issue you just Requiescat->Spam holy spirit every 60 seconds, goring blade combo to keep up debuff otherwise royal authority combo, hit shelltron every 50 gauge and shield swipe when you can. Just seems very lacking in decision making or reactionary changes to what you're doing.

Then again, hitting Fel Cleave 6 times in a row also sounds boring even if it does a ton of DPS so maybe I'm just not the target audience for the changes to tanks in stormblood. I guess I should actually try to play it before judging though, but I really WANT to like paladin, the theme fits what I prefer perfectly, I've just always found it boring to play and I don't see that changing.

cutting edge raiding will always be about max dps and just enough survivablity and ultility (mainly to stay alive or do more damage)

if you aren't doing cutting edge things, then all the utility stuff of PLD can play a part. (like clemencying if you see people needing help)

Ikkarus

If I've never done Palace of the Dead can I still do it at SB launch to level to 60 with SAM? And also, more importantly, what should I know about it?

I saw some previous posts chuckling away at the idea of doing PotD with people who don't know what they are doing and I'd rather be a help not a hindrance.
Most people will be wanting to rush through the floors.

On each floor you have to kill a certain amount of monsters before the portal to the next floor becomes active, just follow the rest and don't go in to rooms on your own and you should get the jist of what to do as you progress.

Lastly, considering you haven't done PotD before you'll be starting at floor 1-10 whereas the vast majority of people will be doing floors 51-60 so don't worry too much and enjoy it.

scy

You'll have to do 1-50 to unlock floors 51-100 as well as the ability to simply start on floor 51.

As far as how2PotD, simply avoid running directly into rooms and stick more to the walls so you don't trigger traps. Don't open chests during combat due to the chance they explode. Generally speaking, people just rush through floors so it's kill things until the next floor is available and then move on.

Basically just play it safe for traps, chests, and pulls while going through floors as quickly as possible. After awhile, you too can sit there and go "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" when everyone runs face first into the center of the room and explodes or turns into frogs.

Armaros

You'll have to do 1-50 to unlock floors 51-100 as well as the ability to simply start on floor 51.

As far as how2PotD, simply avoid running directly into rooms and stick more to the walls so you don't trigger traps. Don't open chests during combat due to the chance they explode. Generally speaking, people just rush through floors so it's kill things until the next floor is available and then move on.

Basically just play it safe for traps, chests, and pulls while going through floors as quickly as possible. After awhile, you too can sit there and go "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" when everyone runs face first into the center of the room and explodes or turns into frogs.

or trigger every pacification trap in a row, so you spend 2-4 straight mins doing nothing but AAing.

Because no one cares about LB buildup outside of when usage of LB is forced by a mechanic like Teraflare?

If PLD/PLD offers superior DPS over any other combination, and there's nothing forcing use of LB, parties will pick the superior DPS option. I'm not sure what's so shocking about this.

PLD/PLD now offers superior utility over any other combination too.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/327057-Shield-Wall-A-Dual-Paladin-Static

But hey!

Can PLD cure himself from status ailments like WAR!! CAN THEY?

PLD might not be that much fun now, so that's why they made both DRK and WAR less fun to play! (A tank in the first place is not going to have an amazing rotation)

And the funny thing about Fell Cleaves, is that PLD does even more damage, so is totally fluffy stuff that WAR got so it looks like they didn't get nerfed lol

Foxxsoxx

Honestly I'd look up a guide before playing it, simply because it is a lot to take in at first but at the moment it is clearly the fastest way to level which is why it is very popular although kind of boring.

Basically it is a randomized dungeon where you are given a weapon and everything else doesn't matter. You collect blue silver chests to upgrade the gear and open red golden chests to receive items that you can use in the dungeon to help out. The biggest thing is if you wipe you gotta go back to whatever floor you started on and you get no XP. Which leads me traps. The entire dungeon is booby trapped so you want to stick to the sides of the rooms and stay further away because they can spawn many enemies or blow up which can really kill you if easily if you're careless.

You go through 10 floors of the dungeon and fight a boss. The fastest way to level right now is floors 51-60 and just repeating those over and over.

For everything else I would really just check a guide out. After about 30 floors or so things should really start to click.

scy

I mean, you're not really wrong here? PLD rotation currently is basically naked Goring Blade into Requiescat rotation into 2x FoF Goring Blade rotation, rinse, repeat. Threat combo ideally still long since forgotten in terms of use since PLD does get hit the most if they're forced into not 2x Riot Blade combos.

DRK got the more decisions thrown at it but, at the same time, it has a literal single rotation to use and most of it comes down to "DA on GCDs that get +140 potency" and hitting Delirium when you have it available. The Black Night exists in this weird spot of it's neat when it works but actually not truly worth the cost and Bloodspiller is simply venting meter. For the most part, tanks are basically the extremely simple rotation and venting resource; PLD may have the most complicated rotation now simply by virtue of a DoT timer and two buff windows ... even if both basically naturally handle themselves.

And the funny thing about Fell Cleaves, is that PLD does even more damage, so is totally fluffy stuff that WAR got so it looks like they didn't get nerfed lol

Inside that Inner Release window, WAR wins out still. By and large the potency discrepancy is PLD kept Goring Blade, 2x oGCDs for damage, and Sword Oath's passive 75 potency/swing. Losing Brutal Swing and Low Blow/Reprsial/Scourge hurt a lot in tanking their avg. potency that PLD didn't really face. It's probably the worst sort of adjustment since WAR strictly speaking does feel stronger, it just lost a lot of the incidental damage. Ironically, maybe, that the goal of the combat overhaul of removing oGCDs for damage and DoTs to track and so-on means many of the jobs ending up in a worse spot output wise because they had so much power tucked away in those things.

kaze343

I mean, AST/AST already happened a fair amount? Same for WAR/WAR and PLD/PLD is simply the same logic behind it: it'll do the most damage currently.

If you mean that it'll be the most widespread setup then, no, not really. Barring outside maybe a lot more PLDs simply existing than the others, anyway, but by and large groups are typically what people want to be rather than strictly the best things on paper. Memes aside, anyway.

I cant speak for other data centers, but AST/AST almost never happened on aether. balance being locked behind rng helped stop that, as well as AST dps being the worst sustained of the healers. this is before the lb penalty. then there is the whole over riding cards thing that would/could happen. it just wasnt worth it.

FireVoa

Ok, I think I get the handle of things. I also started checking out a guide as well just to be safe. But what I still am not 100% on is whether starting as a 50 SAM on floors 1-10 means I won't be leveling the class at all until floors 51-100. Do I need to grind through 1-50 before I see any returns?

I really really wish I did PotD before SB but I was so busy catching up on MSQ's when I came back :(

scy

I cant speak for other data centers, but AST/AST almost never happened on aether. balance being locked behind rng helped stop that, as well as AST dps being the worst sustained of the healers. this is before the lb penalty. then there is the whole over riding cards thing that would/could happen. it just wasnt worth it.

I guess I need to take a step back here; are we talking PF or just like ... any setup? AST/AST wasn't that rare in static setups going for gimmicky things or silly pad runs nobody takes seriously. PFs are largely a different thing entirely and I don't think AST/AST (or PLD/PLD) will really be a base expectation. Just pointing out that people did do AST/AST a fair amount before and it's simply better now at doing the same things it did before, cheese things.

Ikkarus

Ok, I think I get the handle of things. I also started checking out a guide as well just to be safe. But what I still am not 100% on is whether starting as a 50 SAM on floors 1-10 means I won't be leveling the class at all until floors 51-100. Do I need to grind through 1-50 before I see any returns?

I really really wish I did PotD before SB but I was so busy catching up on MSQ's when I came back :(
You will still get EXP for completing floors 1-50.

Foxxsoxx

An hour until servers are back up right?

You'll level up just fine. It's a little slower than 51-60 but you want to have higher level aetherpool gear (the gear you get in the dungeon) before you get there anyway.

FireVoa

You will still get EXP for completing floors 1-50.

Excellent! Well, at least it won't be a complete bust while everyone is already 63 or 65 in SB. Thanks again to everyone for all the info and helpful advice. I've decided i'll go for the SAM and enjoy the heck out of it!

Qvoth

You can start potd from level 51
But if it's the 1st time you enter potd I'm not sure if you can do that

k1t4j

Looking at the job guides its time to :

- Dust off my lv 45 paladin
- Find time to level up my lv40 Dragoon
- Take my lv60 NIN to 70 ASAP
- Level RDM/SAM
- Give Bard a second chance
- Pretend WAR and DRK are classes I'm not interested in and someone else went into my account and got them to 60. So i don't feel bad about not touching them for a while...

:D

kaze343

I guess I need to take a step back here; are we talking PF or just like ... any setup? AST/AST wasn't that rare in static setups going for gimmicky things or silly pad runs nobody takes seriously. PFs are largely a different thing entirely and I don't think AST/AST (or PLD/PLD) will really be a base expectation. Just pointing out that people did do AST/AST a fair amount before and it's simply better now at doing the same things it did before, cheese things.

for padding, yea it did happen. hell, i took part in a few parties like that. ast is going to stay that way overall as the rng hasnt changed, but pld/pld might come up more often with what they were given. that buff to goring blade is stupid and has me angry.

Seijuro

Looking at the OT I wonder if I made a mistake purchasing TESO w/ Morrowind instead of resubbing and buying Stormblood.
Morrowind OT is a barren wasteland compared to the hype in here.

Inside that Inner Release window, WAR wins out still. By and large the potency discrepancy is PLD kept Goring Blade, 2x oGCDs for damage, and Sword Oath's passive 75 potency/swing. Losing Brutal Swing and Low Blow/Reprsial/Scourge hurt a lot in tanking their avg. potency that PLD didn't really face. It's probably the worst sort of adjustment since WAR strictly speaking does feel stronger, it just lost a lot of the incidental damage. Ironically, maybe, that the goal of the combat overhaul of removing oGCDs for damage and DoTs to track and so-on means many of the jobs ending up in a worse spot output wise because they had so much power tucked away in those things.

I mean, that was always the thing, Warrior could deal more burst damage, even in the 2.0 times, with Berserk, but I guess it matters little? OT are suposed to hit boss for 80%-90% of the time, so higher DPS in the long run are better, and I doubt raids will be in a situation where WAR burst damage is absolutly crucial for DPS checks.

Foxxsoxx

Looking at the OT I wonder if I made a mistake purchasing TESO w/ Morrowind instead of resubbing and buying Stormblood.
Morrowind OT is a barren wasteland compared to the hype in here.

I got tempted to get Morrowind a few times but decided to stay strong.

ESO really feels like a SP game with the occasional other person in it for me. Well, from the little I played.

Ennosuke

Great I have to re-download the whole game on the PS4. In total 22gb and the servers are slow, not cool what SE did there.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
fracture257spy.png

Farewell sweet prince.

scy

for padding, yea it did happen. hell, i took part in a few parties like that. ast is going to stay that way overall as the rng hasnt changed, but pld/pld might come up more often with what they were given. that buff to goring blade is stupid and has me angry.

I'm more irritated at both Circle of Scorn and Spirits Within :| Warrior gets Upheaval to match SW but DRK had Dark Passenger get worse? It's weird.

I mean, that was always the thing, Warrior could deal more burst damage, even in the 2.0 times, with Berserk, but I guess it matters little? OT are suposed to hit boss for 80%-90% of the time, so higher DPS in the long run are better, and I doubt raids will be in a situation where WAR burst damage is absolutly crucial for DPS checks.

That wasn't my point; it was that comparing the additions outright, WAR did gain a lot more in that department. It's that Warrior, and Dark Knight, both lose a lot of ground in the more 'hidden' damage areas of the kits. Goring Blade does a ton of damage, Sword Oath auto attacks add up a lot (and now scale with Skill Speed!), and keeping both their oGCDs for damage is a thing. It's not so much just that PLD's core rotation now is incredibly strong (it is, ~60% uptime on at least +20% damage is a thing with their higher GCD potencies) but that the things that push their lead to some ~60-70 avg. potency over WAR/DRK are the things PLD kept that WAR/DRK ended up losing.

Squishy3

It eases you in pretty easily, while the stuff I was complaining about is people will be grinding floors 51-60 which start you at level 60 and are slightly more difficult with patrolling mobs, and if you recklessly run into rooms and trigger traps you'll be able to wipe easily especially with no healers, which would be fairly common with RDM and SAM being added.

Top Bottom