• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Item Box

RMacSmm.jpg

Squishy3

that dungeon walkthrough trailer was super good

i guess don't click if you want to go in clean on dungeon bosses

holy shit that was the ghost of ivon coeurlfist

B-Dex

Starting this game for the first time. Atrologist looks appealing to me but I see people saying the RNG ruins the class. Is it that bad? Will people not want me?

The RNG of the cards isn't bad really. AST is usually always welcome.

I main aST though. Well SAM once servers are up. 😂

Qvoth

Woke up early, unintentionally, and still no EA code from Amazon. *turns over*

Huh I think you should be worried, call support or something, EA is live in 4 hours+

Stream just showed dungeon walkthrough, and showed some dungeon bosses at the end
Yojimbo!

duckroll

Maybe it's the lighting, but Yoshida looks so tired in this patch note reading stream, wow.

Look, I'm tired from having to rush the 3.x stuff every night in the last week before SB. And that's just me playing the stupid game. Can't imagine what it's like for him this week launching the expansion. Lol. Just look at all those "GIB PATCH NOTES!!" posts.

Starting this game for the first time. Atrologist looks appealing to me but I see people saying the RNG ruins the class. Is it that bad? Will people not want me?

first, astrologian, dark knight, and mechanist are unfortunately not availiable when you start the game, but unlock once you reach the Heavensward expansion content.

but more importantly, every class in this game is completely viable, go with whichever one looks like the one you will enjoy the most, and if you end up not liking them, it very easy to pick up a new differant one.
in short, follow your heart.

Stuart444

Does anyone know if the job boost potions, will they mark all job quests as complete aka I'd miss out on the story? And do we need to unlock the job or just the base class?

I'd prefer if they just boost you to 60 but you still need to do all job quests up to 60 just so I don't miss out on the quest story if I use one.

FireVoa

Was thinking about starting with SAM in a few hours but it didn't even dawn on me I'd have to grind 10 levels before even getting into the SB content. How exactly would I do this if I've used up the majority of my quests? Also, can you use one of those level 60 up options to go from 50 to 60 SAM?

I dunno, should I just level my 60 DRG or PLD and get right into the new content? Or SAM it up even if it takes longer? I'm so torn...

Stuart444

Was thinking about starting with SAM in a few hours but it didn't even dawn on me I'd have to grind 10 levels before even getting into the SB content. How exactly would I do this if I've used up the majority of my quests? Also, can you use one of those level 60 up options to go from 50 to 60 SAM?

I dunno, should I just level my 60 DRG or PLD and get right into the new content? Or SAM it up even if it takes longer? I'm so torn...

Most people who are doing this plan on grinding in POTD 51 - 60 for 6 hours or so.

B-Dex

Palace of the Dead sams and red mages for 8 hours.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Can't buy your way to 60 SAM or RDM.

Armory bonus has been bumped to 100% for classes below 60 if you have another 60. Should take 6 to 9 hours of PotD grind.

EWtlyx6.png

Squishy3

i look forward to all the people grinding potd that don't know how to grind potd and walk into every room to pull mobs and activate silence/lure/landmine traps

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Look, I'm tired from having to rush the 3.x stuff every night in the last week before SB. And that's just me playing the stupid game. Can't imagine what it's like for him this week launching the expansion. Lol. Just look at all those "GIB PATCH NOTES!!" posts.
I'm more surprised that he has it in him to actually go with the patch notes reading than that he's tired, really. ;)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
i look forward to all the people grinding potd that don't know how to grind potd and walk into every room to pull mobs and activate silence/lure/landmine traps
There's cross server potd now. You can group up with the people you come across that don't suck.

Foxxsoxx

So anyone want to do some fancy cross server POTD assuming the servers don't explode?

Not on Ultros but I'd like to test that out.

Armaros

So can anyone give me a TL;DR on Paladin? Is it any better now?

Can deal with magic, attacks have better potency, your DPS combo is not part of the threat combo (so no weird extra threat gain if OTing), 64 trait means spells wont get interrupted (cleamency is faster now and you have an offensive MP dump spell). And spammable AoE at 46

Man all of this sounds like so much work lmao. Im yet to even start heavensward.
Im just gonna take it slow and enjoy the half a dozen classes i haven't even touched in the mean time.

scy

So can anyone give me a TL;DR on Paladin? Is it any better now?

Has the current best damage of the tanks and still good on cooldowns; block now works on magic damage and their new job meter is pretty much just for Sheltron. On the downside, their new DPS loop is basically oGCD -> spamming spells for a period but that's a case-by-case basis if you think it's fun or not. Their AoE is still kind of bad, I guess? But for the most part, their negatives are pretty low.

The other tanks have some clunk to them (WAR stance dancing has a pretty stiff penalty, DRK faces a lot of weird decision tree moments); in a vacuum, those two aren't that bad but PLD gained a lot more than either of them which puts their adjustments in a relatively less good spot.

Kalentan

Has the current best damage of the tanks and still good on cooldowns; block now works on magic damage and their new job meter is pretty much just for Sheltron. On the downside, their new DPS loop is basically oGCD -> spamming spells for a period but that's a case-by-case basis if you think it's fun or not. Their AoE is still kind of bad, I guess? But for the most part, their negatives are pretty low.

The other tanks have some clunk to them (WAR stance dancing has a pretty stiff penalty, DRK faces a lot of weird decision tree moments); in a vacuum, those two aren't that bad but PLD gained a lot more than either of them which puts their adjustments in a relatively less good spot.

Many I'm so happy right now.

:)

Paladins finally getting their due!

Armaros

The other dump for the oath gauge is to provide damage reduction with intervention (greatly so if you pop your own tanking cooldowns), so even more utility if OTing.

scy

The other dump for the oath gauge is to provide damage reduction with intervention (greatly so if you pop your own tanking cooldowns), so even more utility if OTing.

It's the spot that makes me curious what we'll see in terms of design; more and more single-tank fights without enforced tank swaps means 100% PLD OT duty can simply rotate their cooldowns this way, though we face the previous threat concerns and maybe we'll rotate tanks simply for the sake of Shirk rotations instead. In many ways, I prefer the Blackest Night in terms of what this utility wants to do but tBN has a lot of jank in the implementation (and fails in the whole not necessarily always worth the opportunity cost test as well) where Sheltron vs Intervention is simply down to "is a thing punching me?" when it comes to how you vent resource.

Squishy3

There's cross server potd now. You can group up with the people you come across that don't suck.
I'm not touching POTD with a 10-foot pole. I'm leveling Dragoon to 70 ASAP and then probably taking my Miner to 70 next and actually getting ahead of that train for once, then probably casually level Red Mage or one of the other jobs.

Armaros

It's the spot that makes me curious what we'll see in terms of design; more and more single-tank fights without enforced tank swaps means 100% PLD OT duty can simply rotate their cooldowns this way, though we face the previous threat concerns and maybe we'll rotate tanks simply for the sake of Shirk rotations instead. In many ways, I prefer the Blackest Night in terms of what this utility wants to do but tBN has a lot of jank in the implementation (and fails in the whole not necessarily always worth the opportunity cost test as well) where Sheltron vs Intervention is simply down to "is a thing punching me?" when it comes to how you vent resource.

Also the PLD has Requiescat fueled Clemency, which is now even faster. 1440 potency heal is wow.

scy

Also the PLD has Requiescat fueled Clemency, which is now even faster. 1440 potency heal is wow.

On one hand, this is true; on the other, I still largely look at this as a "I'm never going to actually use this" situation from a min/max angle. Still, it's one of those moments of flavor/lore/utility vs output things.

...though, I'd probably still try to never use a Requiescat buffed GCD on Clemency. This did have me go and check to see that they did lower Holy Spirit to 1.5s casts from 2.0 which makes the 5x Holy Spirit under Requiescat situation no longer have that "if you lag at all you drop a buffed cast" going for it.

Reading the SMN job updates as someone with a solid but never claiming to be optimal approach to the class, the Shadowflare changes seem huge. The number of times I'd cast down a flare only to have the tank either run on to the next mob or just decide to fight them just outside it was always... a lot. But before you could recast it no biggie so they didn't really have to worry about it. Now it's an instant ability but on a 60s cooldown so PLS tanks etc, pick a spot and stick with it :s

Other than that up to 60 at least it just looks like there were a few nerfs and they gave you one less DOT to deal with. Basic flow seems the same overall. I'm interested to see how the 60-70 abilities weave in in practice.

EDIT: Oh, and now contagion doesn't extend DOT timers? Is Garuda no longer Best Egi?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So why do people think atm that everything is going to be PLD/PLD

Ast/Ast I can sorta understand the logic behind *not happening still* but what is making people say pld/pld

Top Bottom