• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally: OutRun2 Kikizo Videos - /w 2 Bonus Tracks!

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200409/018.asp

IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT KIKIZO MEDIA

PLEASE DO NOT DIRECT LINK ANY IMAGES OR VIDEOS.
We provide all videos and screens to users for free in good faith they will abide by our rules to not direct link any media on web forums, in email, etc. Please kindly abide by this rule and report any abuse here.

Of course, you're more than welcome to link to our coverage, but please either link to this current page, or to an 'imageview' or 'vidview' page, e.g. here and here - as they are linked below, basically.

Can't connect to video server? About 5% of users have this problem. Try disconnecting and then reconnecting from Internet to (hopefully) change your IP address, then try again.
Otherwise please wait for mirrors to become available.

Don't bother trying to stream these vids Instead, use the "right click save target as" link on the 'vidview' page you arrive at. Then close the vidview window otherwise you'll be downloading it "twice".

Playback problems? Then read the above article properly!

Enjoy the media? Then click our sponsors lots, you tightasses.

REJOICE! Finally, proof that Sega owns us all.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
There's extra music tracks too? Magical Sound Shower Euro remix? They weren't on the original soundtrack

awesome videos btw, very high quality and smooth

Wow, my 2600+ Athlon XP on a single channel KT400 mobo flipped me a big bird trying to play those files. I'm getting like 1 frame every other second! Shit, I guess I have to install WMP9 on the workstation to see these.

Shogmaster said:
Wow, my 2600+ Athlon XP on a single channel KT400 mobo flipped me a big bird trying to play those files. I'm getting like 1 frame every other second! Shit, I guess I have to install WMP9 on the workstation to see these.

Try closing all programs running in background?
Try WMP10? (Dunno if WMP10 makes any difference).

Otherwise try the "other" PC...
Otherwise wait for the low-res vids to be added tonight. :)

KyotoMecca said:
Try closing all programs running in background?
Try WMP10? (Dunno if WMP10 makes any difference).

Otherwise try the "other" PC...
Otherwise wait for the low-res vids to be added tonight. :)

Low res! NO WAY!

I'm just gonna have to install WMP9 or 10 on the workstation's spare HD with a backup OS install.

Either way, I don't think 60FPS VGA+ WMV9 files are doable for a single channel Barton systems (I'm not even sure dual channel makes a difference either). I'm going from 2% to 100% CPU utilization the moment I hit play. My guess is that high res WMV9 requires SSE2 for smooth playback at those clockspeeds.

All I know is that the fuckers have taken ~24X longer to encode than "regular" Kikizo videos. Normal meaning 640x480 @ 1-2mbps and 25 or 30 fps. These OutRun2 Xbox videos, in total, have taken ~70 hours of encoding, with the low res versions taking an additional 25 hours or so. Admittedly it would not be so bad on a better machine, but proportionally compared to the "regular" vids you see what I mean. 60fps makes a damn huge difference. I am just happy the results show (on a powerful PC at least, ;-)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Good job Adam :) :thumbsup:

doncale

Banned
the vids are running fairly decently on my P4 1.8 w/ 512 MB DDR, GeForce2MX-400.

not perfectly smooth but more than adaquate. both bonus tracks look delicious.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Runs very smooth on my computer. Actually it looks like the video is running a bit faster than what I played at the demo kiosk the other day D=

Meier

Video (Arcade Mode - Palm Beach > Alpine > Desert > Ghost Forest > Cape Way) ran fine for me on an old 1.4 ghz AMD Thunderbird using WMP 8.. but man, even though the game looks beautiful, it just seems so boring in single player. I enjoyed the multiplayer at E3 but just because of the competitive aspect of it. People say dont compare it to Burnout 3, but it's so difficult not to.

There are a million things you can do as a single player in this game. The game oozes longevity I guarantee it.

The vids you should probably go for first are the ones with the bonus tracks (complete versions)!!! Then the five arcade modes after, and Mission Mode gives you an idea of what to expect from that.

I have a Barton 2500 (Slighly overclocked) and am getting full speed (CPU utilization never touched 100 percent) and I'm downloading a file at 350K/sec at the same time. I'm not sure what the whole low res. talk is about however. I downloaded the files, then clicked on them. Have Component out and the DVD overlay option on, so it outputs full screen on the television (Which is what I want to see anyway.) 640*480 is what the movie is playing at. I'm assuming that's the high-res. clip, even though that's low res by CPU standards.

God's Hand said:
Um, if you wanted 60fps and have it run like it should on most computers, you did it wrong.

Much like the way you imagelinked your avatar!

For most people they seem fine. And before it went live, tests of the lowres versions were offered for some who couldn't view them smoothly and they worked fine, which means lower bitrate / res works - but what is the point in 60fps video at crummy resolution? Which is why we offered these huge vids. And as far as Kikizo can make out, interlaced 25/29.97/30fps WMV files simply do *not* seem to look as smooth as 60 progressive, so I don't see how else you can "do" it at all. We could offer MPEG4 but then they definitely wouldn't work on many machines I think. If you have any solutions, then let me know.

Saturnman said:
Cool, but frame rate is unreliable in those videos. At 640x480, my computer should not be struggling with those.

It's not just the res it's the bitrate (in fact entirely down to bitrate) but 2Mbps should not be a big deal as most DVDs are encoded at way higher. Hmmm. Fuck knows.

Saturnman said:
Ah well, upgrading to WMP10 fixed the problem. :)

This is good news for kikizo. Now just reccomend WMP10 to users and everyone will be fine. Hurrah.

Anyone else who had the problem tried upgrading to wmp10? Did it fix "the issue"?

played fine for me and i dont have wmp10
and my pc is over a year old

radeon 9000 all in wonder
athlon xp barton 2500 oc'd to 2800
1GB pc27000 ddr-ram dual channel

Saturnman

Banned
The videos, even with WMP10, still drain a lot of juice. I need to turn off many programs running in the background, something I don't have to do with 99,9% of videos out there.

Saturnman said:
The videos, even with WMP10, still drain a lot of juice. I need to turn off many programs running in the background, something I don't have to do with 99,9% of videos out there.

Well these are big daddy ass videos compared to 99.9% of videos out there. It's not just size for the hell of it either. They actually look worth their size. I think so anyway. And Wario.

Videos run fine on my system. If you're getting shitty playback, it's probably a codec issue and not a CPU issue.

PS

All videogame videos should be encoded at that res and that framerate, damn it.

eso76

Wario64 said:
There's extra music tracks too? Magical Sound Shower Euro remix? They weren't on the original soundtrack

Missions unlock serveral things: there's an euro remix to be unlocked for splash wave, magical sound shower and passing breeze, as well as the original (and better :D) original 1986 version. So far i unlocked those as well as a guitar mix of risky ride and the 2 bonus tracks and i'm not even halfway with the missions...i think there's a lot more to be seen :)

To be honest, scud race and daytona 2 tracks don't hold up well to the best outrun 2 stages at all; i haven't seen the originals in a while, so i am not entirely sure they are faithful: Daytona looks a little bit 'still' and empty, and Scud Race looks like could have received a decent Dreamcast version after all.
They look good nonetheless, with very interesting trackside detail.
biggest concern about these tracks is actually the 'assisted' drifting; it behaves in quite an odd way at times: i think it just wasn't meant for the kind of sharp turns in daytona.
That's nitpicking, anyway; i'm absolutely loving this game.

eso76 said:
biggest concern about these tracks is actually the 'assisted' drifting; it behaves in quite an odd way at times: i think it just wasn't meant for the kind of sharp turns in daytona.
That's nitpicking, anyway; i'm absolutely loving this game.

As far as I can make out, the assisted drifting comes into effect because of the math that you cannot turn more then 90 degrees or so on a straight section or whatever is considered "forwards" (because you can't turn around and drive backwards in OutRun1/2) and this is particularly noticable in those bens where you would naturally (in OutRun terms) go more than the angle in order to navigate it smoothy.

It actually feels quite cool but it would be interesting to have seen how it worked if they optimised that a bit more. Still I think there has been far too much ntpicking about this game and the bonus tracks. We are all jumping for joy that they're in there at all remember?!

COCKLES

being watched
The Shadow said:
Videos run fine on my system. If you're getting shitty playback, it's probably a codec issue and not a CPU issue.

PS

All videogame videos should be encoded at that res and that framerate, damn it.

Good job Kikizo.

No idea why people are having a problem with the videos...run fine on my ghey 1.4 vanilla Athlon.

boutrosinit said:
OLD! Only kidding. I love videos 3 - 5.

OLD!:

BeOnEdge said:
old! just kidding! its about time!

BTW Did you realise all the videos are new from when you got a sneak peek... now the bonus tracks are shown in their entirety and so are the arcade routes.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Great videos. Btw KyotoMecca what capture device did you use for these 60 fps videos ? I still see some weird artifacts in the video that look like deinterlacing so I'm a bit confused.

Blimblim said:
Great videos. Btw KyotoMecca what capture device did you use for these 60 fps videos ? I still see some weird artifacts in the video that look like deinterlacing so I'm a bit confused.

See PM. Boring as hell for most people here. ;-)

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
KyotoMecca said:
OLD!:
BTW Did you realise all the videos are new from when you got a sneak peek... now the bonus tracks are shown in their entirety and so are the arcade routes.

No I did not. McFlaps is sending me a copy in a week anyway, so I'll just curb my frothing desires until then.

P.S. The frame rate on those vids could use a tweak. Did that WM9 solution fix it? Can Canopus Procoder fix it?

Top Bottom