• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Shun

you can already predict how bad the FE fates OT will get

Unless someone else wants to do it, there will be a no bullshit tolerance disclaimer and rules like the #FE one. I don't give a fuck if people get mad for there having reasonable rules.

You can self manage yourself, hopefully.

Wont be as bad as the thread for the NoA localization changes

the people complaining about what gets censored won't be nearly as bad as the people getting all giddy over stuff being censored to meet their 'moral standards'

and honestly at this point, I'm more curious about how the rest of the character names get butchered/localized

King Fost

Neo Member
It will be full of posts from me asking how to properly optimize teams for the serious competitive online play that we all play and love.

Speaking of which, I don't predict the metagame for multiplayer lasting very long.

This is mainly because FE is not well-suited to traditional PvP at all. The structure of FE is such that depending on the exact mechanics used, either the first person who moves will pretty much always win or the first person who moves will always lose, assuming competence from both competitors. Fates falls in the former category because there are so many offensive boosting skills, pair-up, and weaponry and the existence of children and eugenics make it so that it becomes a game of rocket tag; smart use of Rescue and Azura means that you can pretty much blick a unit and then get returned to safety, get healed and refreshed, and then go again.

Shadow Dragon/New Mystery's online scene was never big and died out relatively quickly; frankly, the only reason it lasted as long as it did was because every match was FoW, so using units to scout was an important part of the match, but the balance between classes meant nearly everyone ran very similar teams with few deviations, so the metagame became stagnant, as did the matches.

tl;dr, I don't think FE and PvP mix; Fates PvP won't lost long I'm betting, but it's not unique to this particular entry.

Xenoflare

the people complaining about what gets censored won't be nearly as bad as the people getting all giddy over stuff being censored to meet their 'moral standards'

and honestly at this point, I'm more curious about how the rest of the character names get butchered/localized

I'm wondering about this myself, though I'm more interested in class names.

If Revenant Knight did not survive I wonder what's going to happen with Golden Kite Warriors.

I can't believe I'm still salty about Revenant Knight's name change

Look, I'll change my mind on this when you finally make some progress!
k fine :<
Are there people panicking over potential censorship over there?

Because there's a lot of fearmongering over that across the interwebs and frankly, I'm sick of seeing it.
sadly yeah.... just go to any nintendo game thread about censorship like fatal frame or xenoblade and you'll see from out of nowhere posts like "FEif and/or #FE will definitely be censored" bla bla bla

both sides are equal tbh. at least i don't see the latter started talking about censorship about other games in non-related thread that much compared to other group

King Fost

Neo Member
I'm wondering about this myself, though I'm more interested in class names.

If Revenant Knight did not survive I wonder what's going to happen with Golden Kite Warriors.

I can't believe I'm still salty about Revenant Knight's name change

Well Malig Knight is a pretty stupid change and honestly barely makes sense.

The fan translation patch was able to fit in Revenant Knight, so it's not a space limitation issue. Even if it was though, I can think of a million better names for the class, like Reaper, Doomwing, Death Knight, etc.

Xenoflare

Well Malig Knight is a pretty stupid change and honestly barely makes sense.

The fan translation patch was able to fit in Revenant Knight, so it's not a space limitation issue. Even if it was though, I can think of a million better names for the class, like Reaper, Doomwing, Death Knight, etc.

EXACTLY, I mean I sorta understand the names since certain items uses the character names and it obviously went over the character limits (like Kazahana's pretty blade) and when I saw revenant knight fitted that little window I thought it was safe.

Tell me why exactly Treehouse is better than 8-4 again?

I imagine some dude behind the localization team cackling at this lame pun of a class name

I'm sorry for the salt

EXACTLY, I mean I sorta understand the names since certain items uses the character names and it obviously went over the character limits (like Kazahana's pretty blade) and when I saw revenant knight fitted that little window I thought it was safe.

I imagine some dude behind the localization team cackling at this lame pun of a class name

I'm sorry for the salt

because how good a localization team is isn't solely judged by the name decisions?

Xenoflare

because how good a localization team is isn't solely judged by the name decisions?

It's a word that doesn't even exist, and I made my post pretty clear that I was ranting.

It was my favourite class upon reveal and I liked the setup and loved the name. In addition to the other name changes that are iffy at best. I'm not so sure about the first impression I'm going to have on this

Sure the game would probably have a good localization, but I went through awakening without pondering on questionable name changes. Though oJP awakening had odd names to begin with

Gestahl

Changing Harold's name is the dumbest shit ever, what is so objectionable about the name Harold

Also he has a H belt buckle jesus

I swear all the Malig Knight hate would be gone if they just added a hyphen. -_- It reflects their role as shocktroopers spreading malignant diseases to soften up entire enemy squadrons. That's aside from being, y'know, associated with the maligned Nohr (and all future Team Bad Guys).

Changing Harold's name is the dumbest shit ever, what is so objectionable about the name Harold

Also he has a H belt buckle jesus

It'll turn into an A for AMERICA!!
crying_eagle.png

(Which, considering the whole totally-not-supposed-to-be-an-American-superhero thing he has going on, would make sense, so here's hoping)

It will be full of posts from me asking how to properly optimize teams for the serious competitive online play that we all play and love.

Units:
All high-speed, heavy-hitters. One high-mobility unit recommended.

Weapons:
All the Braves (and Lightning)

Skills:
Copycat
Galeforce
Warp

Strat:
Everybody uses Copycat at start. Send one unit towards the enemy, sitting just slightly out of range. Everybody else warps into range and Galeforces their way through.

-

Results: Kinda like the EVE Pipe Bomb, only without the feature-length movie detailing its development.

Why are there always so many "if you reset when someone dies what's the point of playing classic" posts?

well you've basically already failed if all of your units are worse than Odin :p

May as well give up at that point, yeah.
Figure someone out there's gotta have that kind of luck though. lol

I really hope they rebalance Odin for the western release.

And Rinkah plz.

Danielsan

A couple of weeks ago I finally decided to restart Fire Emblem Awakening. I had previously made it to chapter 19, but either due to lack of time, losing interest or both I'd stopped playing the game. Since it had been months I figured I'd restart, and I told myself that this time I would not restart the mission once a character died. That lasted about 3 chapters till a major character got hit by a critical attack... So now I've been playing the game the same way as before, restart until every character survives. Still really enjoying the game, but I wish I just manned up and tried to iron man run the game.

Playing Awakening got me in the mood for more Fire Emblem though. So I went ahead and just bought Path of Radience for a wopping € 84. And to think that I once bought the game new for € 19,99, only to never play it and sell it for € 25 in 2006 (feels bad man). Nearly everyone seems to think it's one of the best Fire Emblem games though, so it should be worth it, and it will probably only increase in price once Fates gets released.

Golnei

Radiant Dawn had a better opening in Japan. Let that sink in.

I knew it didn't do well, but I had no idea it was that bad. This is astonishing.

I swear all the Malig Knight hate would be gone if they just added a hyphen. -_- It reflects their role as shocktroopers spreading malignant diseases to soften up entire enemy squadrons. That's aside from being, y'know, associated with the maligned Nohr (and all future Team Bad Guys).

Still, "Plague Knight" was right there; it has all of those connotations and isn't anywhere as unwieldy. Surely Yacht Club Games doesn't hold the rights to the name in every context.

I'm sorry for the salt

Treehouse has been slipping lately, to be honest.

jKs8g3K.jpg

Draxal

Malig Knight is the only one I truly hate. Didn't like Corrin, but that was a pet peeve. This just sounds incredibly stupid.

L95

Is Malig Knight seriously a pun where Knight is supposed to sound like the latter half of Malignant? I'm amused by puns, but nant and knight don't sound close enough to me to qualify for punship.

L95

I wish

Online play is straight up unplayable due to Warp. Dumbest skill.

Do enemy witches in the Fates DLC have AI to use it? Gaiden's witches had an even more OP version of warp (They could straight up just go anywhere) but either didn't do it or warped somewhere seemingly nonsensical, (Though they will occasionally warp to your underlevelled knight and kill them loll)

I love Splatoon's localization, it creates a great tone that fits the game imo.

Are there people panicking over potential censorship over there?

Because there's a lot of fearmongering over that across the interwebs and frankly, I'm sick of seeing it.

Given Nintendo's pattern as of late, absolutely no one should be surprised if/when the alterations made for the western release of Fates are shown. Not panicking over it, since they haven't done anything to actually alter gameplay (yet), but it's something I've accepted for a while now.

Golnei

Given Nintendo's pattern as of late, absolutely no one should be surprised if/when the alterations made for the western release of Fates are shown. Not panicking over it, since they haven't done anything to actually alter gameplay (yet), but it's something I've accepted for a while now.

Some things deserve to be changed. I'm holding out hope they'll decide to localise some nipples onto Xander.

tumblr_inline_nxv8ye9eoe1sq9wvf_540.png

If nothing else, Treehouse will absolutely get the supports right if Animal Crossing and Splatoon are anything to go by. They have legitimately great writers for more light-hearted stuff.

Wish I could judge them for more serious stuff, but the only remotely serious scene I can think of is The Wind Waker's last scene before the fight with Ganondorf. Great but, y'know, 2003.

Still, "Plague Knight" was right there; it has all of those connotations and isn't anywhere as unwieldy. Surely Yacht Club Games doesn't hold the rights to the name in every context.

If "Plague Knight" didn't make me think of the character throwing everything including the kitchen sink, I'd say it's a fine substitute, honestly. Drops "Mal" which, for a Team Bad Guy class, is a small loss -- do think it's a nice change from the typical Dark/Doom/Death and these guys are also particularly malicious towards infantry as an added small point in favor of "Mal(ig)" -- but gains clarity which, given how many people don't pick up on at all, is probably sorely needed.

There's probably a reason why they chose "Malig Knight" over "Plague Knight" despite that though. Probably has to do with the Golden Kite and how they're pretty much the anti-Malig Knight skill-wise (and the hard counter in match-ups). They likely remade that class' name to be much more the opposite to reflect that fact. With the polarity motif, it's not something I mind them trying with the class names. Just a guess though.

Is Malig Knight seriously a pun where Knight is supposed to sound like the latter half of Malignant? I'm amused by puns, but nant and knight don't sound close enough to me to qualify for punship.

I'm...guessing it's the way I pronounce "-nant" internally ("ant" with an "n" in front opposed to "int" with an "n") that makes the portmanteau work for me. >.>

Lol. I mostly enjoyed Splatoon's localization because that whole game was kind of about current cultural trends.

Tri-Force Heroes, however... eugh.

Lunar15
Can't Handle Dank Memes
(Today, 11:26 AM)

also while I don't care for Animal Crossing, apparently it's got some great localization:

tumblr_nvm8artCX01tgtt2jo6_r1_400.jpg

tumblr_nvm8artCX01tgtt2jo7_r1_400.jpg

tumblr_nvm8artCX01tgtt2jo2_r1_400.jpg

seriously both Treehouse and 8-4 are great

I want to give Treehouse the benefit of the doubt, but changing Tsubaki -> Subaki when we already have the word tsunami used regularly in English is kind of silly. Not a fan of Malig Knight either. I was a huge fan of Awakening's localization, thanks the flavours 8-4 added to the dialogue. They wrote the dialogue in a way that I could actually hear, very distinctly, what the character ought to sound like in my mind. A lot of localizations, like the recent Pokemon games, have such bland or poorly stylized dialogue that you have no idea what the character ought to sound like, or worse, they don't even sound like a native English speaker. I'm sure Treehouse will do better than that, of course, but 8-4's work was top-notch and will be hard to beat.

Moonlight

Banned
Your daily reminder that Treehouse is the home of the KI:U localization, one of the reigning kings of all modern localizations. Stuff like Nintendo Badge Arcade is fantastic, too. Fates has some very questionable decisions regarding the name changes, but I think it's unfair to hold it against them as a collective representation of their ability.

EDIT: Also, Tri-Force Heroes wasn't, like, awful. Like, okay, the topical humour was bad, I'm not defending that, but it really could have gotten worse than a somewhat on-the-nose reference to a meme. To use 8-4's barometer on this topic specifically, it's still a line that you can 'get' and see how it'd be funny without the existing context. It's just kind of cringe if you do.

Draxal

The Japanese version of the SE sold out quickly as well.

I actually already own those keychains, lol

Didn't you get the initial run? I reemember they had to apologize and offer a second run that sold out instantly as well.

sad, you couldn't order the SE? get some keychains instead!

i actually want the keychains
$20 to spend on either 3 keychains or the Revelation path? lol
Is the goddamn Fates Special Edition ever going to be in stock ever again? Leave it to NoA to make like 50 copies of the version everyone wants.
Clearly trying to get people to purchase the other two routes digitally to improve their profit margins! /s

looks like you get keychains if you preorder any version from gamestop

stop making it even more tempting

speaking of which, kinda surprising they aren't releasing more sets of IF character keychains
they went crazy in the releases for all the Awakening characters so I'm guessing some of the sets didn't do as well to do that again?

Top Bottom