• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Shun

Really? you have no taste.

aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3Z2SXZZcjMucG5n.png

Shun

don't call me out when you were perpetuating that shit earlier with your Sakura Elise.

If it bothered you maybe you shouldn't have gone and continued that line of discussion and changed the topic earlier.

In any case for those who want the special edition hope that you can get it. Maybe some of us can hold a preorder and change the shipping address for active members who missed it.

don't call me out when you were perpetuating that shit earlier with your Sakura Elise.

If it bothered you maybe you shouldn't have gone and continued that line of discussion and changed the topic earlier.

In any case for those who want the special edition hope that you can get it. Maybe some of us can hold a preorder and change the shipping address for active members who missed it.
geez why so serious, I was joking
Bumping again. Because I know people are looking for it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fire-Emble...o-3DS/49550428

Special Edition placeholder on Walmart.com

You can get it by calling in according to Reddit. 1-800-966-6546

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/...ion_available/

You literally just posted this 12 minutes ago and you post it again 2 minutes after the last post?

Draxal

geez why so serious

You literally just posted this 12 minutes ago and you post it again 2 minutes after the last post?

Some people ignore the fanboy/girl wars as we were being pretty silly, and I didn't want them to miss it thinking that post was part of that?

Weebos

Banned
Thanks for posting the special edition, it has been tempting.

I think I'm just going full digital, but I'm watching that page anyway.

PK Gaming

Time out.

Let's just take a deep breath and start over. theprodigy you gotta tone down the condescension man, there are better ways to express concerns about waifu talk without rudely putting someone down like that.

This thread is basically a haven for Fire Emblem fans, there's no need to pick fights with each other.

Chrom

So this is kind of a weird revelation for me... Today I learned that levin is an actual word in the English vocabulary, and it's just another word for lightning. This whole time I thought it was called the Levin Sword as a weird callback to Lewyn when he used to be known as Levin in old fan translations. That the sword of thunder magic was seemingly named after a wind mage never tipped me off about it.

CazTGG

So this is kind of a weird revelation for me... Today I learned that levin is an actual word in the English vocabulary, and it's just another word for lightning. This whole time I thought it was called the Levin Sword as a weird callback to Lewyn when he used to be known as Levin in old fan translations. That the sword of thunder magic was seemingly named after a wind mage never tipped me off about it.

Fire Emblem loves its references to/inspirations from medieval Europe and late antiquity, especially legends and locations i.e. Thrace/Thracia, literally naming a wind tome "Excalibur" after the Arthurian legend (even though the actual excalibur had nothing to do with the wind), La Chanson de Roland and pretty much all of Fire Emblem: Rekka No Ken, etc.

Draxal

Fire Emblem loves its references to/inspirations from medieval Europe and late antiquity, especially legends and locations i.e. Thrace/Thracia, literally naming a wind tome "Excalibur" after the Arthurian legend (even though the actual excalibur had nothing to do with the wind), La Chanson de Roland and pretty much all of Fire Emblem: Rekka No Ken, etc.

Point to a map of Greece/Grecian City States in modern day Turkey and Lycia/Elibe.

I really didn't know that about the Levin sword and thought it was a Levin mention as well. I always had a soft spot for Lewyn/Ferry/Fee/Sed (This hurt me so much to type) due to being Silesian descent myself.

2x of dondon's Thracia 0% growths playthrough is up, if anyone's interested. I forgot that Leaf kinda sucks before you dump all your statboosters on him.

Draxal

Heh, the classic mode clear has a picture of smash chars doing the fates cover scheme.

Palutena as Azura
Pit as Takumi
Bowser as the rest of Hoshido
Ganondorf as Xander
Male Robin also on Nohr side.

GSR

After hearing the Smash version of LiTAA, I'm really curious to hear (Fates music spoiler?)
the final stage mix of the English version

Xenoflare

That'll be that, then!

All things considered I think they did pretty well localizing the song - there's a few awkward phrasings here and there, but I still like it a lot.

Yeah, one thing I like the English over the Japanese one is that the English song has more... for a lack of better word, "twirls". The Japanese sounds really "straightened" Sorry about my lack of musical jargon

However I just realized the Japanese versions has been on my daily playlist since June. I can literally recite the Japanese lyrics without knowing the language.

I need help.

Jill, at 20/17/9, has capped magic and resistance before any stats other than HP, lol. How did IS think making wyverns stronger would be anything but incredibly overpowered?

Leonardo has been a surprisingly strong contributor also, much more so than I would have thought. Archers aren't great in this but they're definitely better than in most games.

GSR

Heh, the classic mode clear has a picture of smash chars doing the fates cover scheme.

Palutena as Azura
Pit as Takumi
Bowser as the rest of Hoshido
Ganondorf as Xander
Male Robin also on Nohr side.

Yeah, it's pretty much perfect.

Jill, at 20/17/9, has capped magic and resistance before any stats other than HP, lol. How did IS think making wyverns stronger would be anything but incredibly overpowered?

Leonardo has been a surprisingly strong contributor also, much more so than I would have thought. Archers aren't great in this but they're definitely better than in most games.

Maybe I've just gotten RNG lucky but of the game's I've played since PoR (eg. PoR, RD, Awakening, and Fates) my wyvern users have always wound up incredible. As long as you don't send them into a crowd of thunder users or archers they're pure tanks - and honestly, even if you do send them in I give them fifty-fifty odds.

Maybe I've just gotten RNG lucky but of the game's I've played since PoR (eg. PoR, RD, Awakening, and Fates) my wyvern users have always wound up incredible. As long as you don't send them into a crowd of thunder users or archers they're pure tanks - and honestly, even if you do send them in I give them fifty-fifty odds.

well...

PoR Jill is really good
PoR Haar not so much but I suspect you weren't using him
RD Haar and Jill are wtf
Cherche is decent but not great relative to the others
Camilla is ridiculous
Beruka is actually pretty meh

really though I can't think of any wyvern rider that was ever actually bad

Nah, they're either consistently one of the three best classes in the series along with pegs and paladins, but it's weird/hilarious because Radiant Dawn pretty clearly nerfed both of those classes but took away both of the traditional weakness of wyverns, which are bows and availability, leaving both Jill and Haar incredibly overpowered.

My last playthrough was about 80% Jill solo'ing it, though, so it's not even like they were trying to compensate for the last game or anything. It is funny having Jill be Milady mk. 2, but for two games.
This makes me incredibly sad, I really like her design, one of my favorites from Nohr.

GSR

well...

PoR Jill is really good
PoR Haar not so much but I suspect you weren't using him
RD Haar and Jill are wtf
Cherche is decent but not great relative to the others
Camilla is ridiculous

really though I can't think of any wyvern rider that was ever actually bad

Gerome can be, if just for being underleveled and having an annoying (if you want to get all the bonuses) chapter

so uh

funny story

my Beruka is beasting Nohr Hard thus far and my Gerome was pretty good too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gestahl

This makes me incredibly sad, I really like her design, one of my favorites from Nohr.

Belka's fine, she's actually useful on IK for one thing. She falls off near the end of Nohr (so does Camilla) and isn't as useful as Camilla but that can be said for a lot of characters. Personally, I like paralleling her into Fighter and grabbing that +Hp 5 skill asap. Her starting defense is high enough where she doesn't get hurt by it that much and it boosts her hp and speed growths, which she really needs. You can then either make her a Berserker or Hero or if you have seals to burn go back to Rider or turn her into a Wyvern lord after getting say Sol or whatever.

Lusankya

my Beruka is beasting Nohr Hard thus far ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, her growths are decent enough, although many other characters should be better than her on average.

Btw. is this a typo on serenesforest or does Benoit really have a speed growth of 10%? Seems like an unusable garbage unit.

Beruka's totally usable, she's mid tier in Conquest and of course if you don't reclass Selena her flying utility goes up in value

her combat never really stands out compared to others though, and no not just against Camilla but against those closer to her as well

Well, her growths are decent enough, although many other characters should be better than her on average.

Btw. is this a typo on serenesforest or does Benoit really have a speed growth of 10%? Seems like an unusable garbage unit.

yes Benoit really does suck for anything other than super slow playthroughs lol

Having just finished part 3 of Radiant Dawn now, I think that the game is the only real successor to the Juggdral games in the post-Kaga era, with all of the strengths and weaknesses associated with that. I think it really tries to take from Genealogy, especially with its attempts at doing storytelling through the maps, which has mixed success. Radiant Dawn has way more uncontrolled friendly units and some of these maps have a ridiculous number of enemies/NPCs. This gives a real sense of epic scale but also gets kind of irritating when you're spending half of a chapter watching NPCs fight NPCs. Even if the maps themselves aren't huge, it really reminds me of the feeling I got from the ridiculously huge Genealogy maps, both the epic and the tedium. This game really heavily leans into the sort of political story Genealogy tried to pull off, with both scale and political machinations.

I think it trips up in a lot of ways though. A lot of these maps seem to be the stereotypical Awakening routfest with wide open terrain. A lot of the more interesting maps are designed around story which is pretty hit-or-miss. I looooove Geoffrey's Charge but I know a lot of people don't. On the other hand, the chapter with Micaiah and the Black Knight was incredibly frustrating and not fun at all. It definitely could have been a cutscene and had no impact on the game, it doesn't even really affect gameplay at any future point since the Black Knight has an unbreakable weapon and is max level and you definitely don't want Micaiah fighting here. The Daein maps in part 3 are pretty interesting and good at conveying of the Daein army is weak compared to the other forces at play (especially when you follow up 3-6 with how hilariously easy 3-7 is), but 3-6 is also one of the worst uses of Fog of War I've seen in the series. Jill also trivializes the Daein maps really, really well.

Also, the Blood Pact is the worst plot device I've ever seen in a Fire Emblem story. I feel like there could have been a really interesting story to tell with Daein in this whole mess and they just made the dumbest cop-out answer ever. What a waste.

Top Bottom