• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Fandangox

Shove mechanic is interesting, although I find myself not bothering with it at all most of the time.

No man. That's one of the mechanics I wanted so badly to return. It could be REALLY helpful in certain situations, Like shoving a character who is far to make it able to hit an enemy, or shoving a character you accidentally left in harm's way.

No man. That's one of the mechanics I wanted so badly to return. It could be REALLY helpful in certain situations, Like shoving a character who is far to make it able to hit an enemy, or shoving a character you accidentally left in harm's way.

Agreed, it was also great for getting exp for weaker units. After they've attacked, shove them a couple of times until they're out of range for a counterattack. Then you don't have to worry about carrying a unit.

One of the best ways of taking down non-moving bosses in a way that nets your weak units experience is with Canto and shoving.

Is there a way to exit a battle and start over without exiting to the 3DS menu?
Yes: L+R+Start/Select.

I think it is even listed on the sheet of paper that comes with the game. There are some other useful controls like holding the down button while holding A will turbo through dialogue and there is a button to bring up the text memory of the game (usually going back to the start of the chapter).

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I might be part of the problem. I felt Shadow dragon was poor (though it could have been good if the graphics and balance were better oh and a plot too), and said something cynical in the post play survey like "oh I bet book 2 comes out in a years time when it should be part of this game".

I feel that Shadow Dragon is nitpicked to death. The core of the game is solid, but outdated, there were some fun maps and groovy tunes as well.

Heroes of Light and Shadow is a better remake of a better game, apparently. I was looking forward to it. More Marth is always good.

IS have given a clue that Nintendo might greenlit FEU though. Fingers crossed for that

Wah?

FSLink

Banned
Shadow Dragon's main problem is that it doesn't know if it wants to be a full remake or an enhanced port. It went a bit too faithful to FE1 which ended up being seen as a step down from many mechanics that people played in more recent entries at the time. And that's not even going into stuff like the class change system being really dumb in it.

Hey dudes my girlfriend became obsessed with Awakening and for Christmas I was wanting to get her another FE game. I was thinking FE7 because it doesn't seem insane to get and I've seen a lot of people saying it's the best in the series. On the other hand, she really was into playing Awakening together which was possible cause the 3dsxl screen is so big but that wouldn't be doable with a DS phat which is what I'd give her to play FE7. So I was thinking Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn, say money's not an issue. I have a Wii U here in the apartment so RD would be easier (wouldn't have to track down my GCN or Wii at my parent's place) but if PoR is way better than it would be worth it. Any advice?

Hey dudes my girlfriend became obsessed with Awakening and for Christmas I was wanting to get her another FE game. I was thinking FE7 because it doesn't seem insane to get and I've seen a lot of people saying it's the best in the series. On the other hand, she really was into playing Awakening together which was possible cause the 3dsxl screen is so big but that wouldn't be doable with a DS phat which is what I'd give her to play FE7. So I was thinking Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn, say money's not an issue. I have a Wii U here in the apartment so RD would be easier (wouldn't have to track down my GCN or Wii at my parent's place) but if PoR is way better than it would be worth it. Any advice?

Path of Radiance is indeed way better than RD. RD is also a direct sequel, so it's generally recommended to play PoR first, because the story ties in very closely.

I would definitely recommend Path of Radiance (my favorite in the series). If she likes it a lot, she could always play RD in the future.

McNum

I'll second Path of Radiance. It's the start of a new story, and it's a pretty solid game. Radiant Dawn is much better after playing Path of Radiance, anyway, since it causally talks about some of the bigger story moments in it. Better to see those firsthand, I'd think. Also if you're playing on a Wii, you can import the PoR Epilogue save file into RD. As long as you didn't play PoR on Easy. RD simply crashes if there's an Easy Mode Epilogue file in PoR.

The gimmick, so to speak, in PoR is Bonus Experience. You can use that to level up characters between battles. And you don't need Master Seals to promote characters, either, just hit level 20+100 Exp and they'll promote. You can use a Master Seal before that if you want to, of course. Except for on Ike. His promotion is story locked.

Marz

I'll second Path of Radiance. It's the start of a new story, and it's a pretty solid game. Radiant Dawn is much better after playing Path of Radiance, anyway, since it causally talks about some of the bigger story moments in it. Better to see those firsthand, I'd think. Also if you're playing on a Wii, you can import the PoR Epilogue save file into RD. As long as you didn't play PoR on Easy. RD simply crashes if there's an Easy Mode Epilogue file in PoR.

The gimmick, so to speak, in PoR is Bonus Experience. You can use that to level up characters between battles. And you don't need Master Seals to promote characters, either, just hit level 20+100 Exp and they'll promote. You can use a Master Seal before that if you want to, of course. Except for on Ike. His promotion is story locked.

Can Theifs promote? Mines capped at level 20.

McNum

Sothe can't promote in PoR. Volke's promotion is story based.
Oh, right. Forgot about Volke.

One thing about Sothe, though, and I'll spoiler tag this one.
Sothe's stats in PoR carry over directly to RD as the ONLY character since he's one of the main characters of RD. But only if his PoR stats are better than his starting stats in RD.

Can't find my copy of RD, it's usually sitting on my desk right next to PoR for easy access when I get my annual urge to marathon them both. This thread triggered it and its driving me crazy.

Zalman

I've only played Awakening. Which game should I buy next? Which are considered the best in the series? Thinking of getting the first GBA one.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah. For a while I could not decide between PoR and Fire Emblem "7". If they aren't 1a and 1b for me they're surely 1 and 2.

And the GBA one seems to be a bit more available, haha.

Firemind

PoR is a common opinion but FE GBA is right behind it.

I don't really understand why. The characters are likable, the story is well-written and the game isn't a pushover by any means, but the last quarter or so is supremely dull. Once your characters are nearly maxed, they will simply steamroll everything. I don't even remember most of the endgame apart from Ashnard being a complete pushover.

Yeah, FE7 is pretty damn easy as well once you have maxed out characters, but it still had reasonably tough chapters until the second to last chapter or so. And Nergal is a better villain than Ashnard, though he is also a pushover (hi Luna!). And HHM is pretty darn good, though I hear Very Hard in the Japanese PoR gives it a run for its money. Hm. I should try it someday since I do have a Japanese copy.

I don't really understand why. The characters are likable, the story is well-written and the game isn't a pushover by any means, but the last quarter or so is supremely dull. Once your characters are nearly maxed, they will simply steamroll everything. I don't even remember most of the endgame apart from Ashnard being a complete pushover.

Well I though the endgame was pretty dicey on Hard but maybe that's just the pleb in me speaking.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, Bonus exp can make normal mode a joke and hard mode not so hard, but yeah, all FE games (at least the ones without an infinite exp source/map) shine on the harder difficulties.

akaoni

Banned
So I posted about my doubts on Path of Radiance, however the game does get good, the game is on some serious training wheels for 2 hours~ until shit get goes down and then the game proceeds to destroy your sphincter in every single chapter or maybe it's just my obsession with visiting every house is causing me trouble right now. Game is fairly good, that is all.

Cody_D165

Banned
Doing my usual eBay shopping tonight and I won a handsome little auction.

I am now the proud owner of this poster! Didn't go too expensive either. Happy with that price.

$_57.JPG

NeonZ

Does it support screenshots? I'd like to redo my silly collection with pictures of the generic 3d models of all 120+ veteran characters, but using actual screenshots, rather than blurry camera pictures.

DLC_FE7_01_zpsa0c5f3b4.jpg

y2dvd

Yo I don't get it. In my 2nd play thru, I made a female avatar. Chrom and her got to relationship B status. I was actually trying to avoid them supporting each other at all, so I sidelined my avatar out. A few battles later, they are married. Wtf, how did this happen?!

Fandangox

Yo I don't get it. In my 2nd play thru, I made a female avatar. Chrom and her got to relationship B status. I was actually trying to avoid them supporting each other at all, so I sidelined my avatar out. A few battles later, they are married. Wtf, how did this happen?!

After Chapter 13 Chrom will automatically marry the woman he has the most supports with, if he hasn't achieved S support with anyone yet.

Chrom

Chrom is a special case in that he will be forced to marry by a certain point in the game. Who it is depends on who Chrom has been supporting up to that point.

Top Bottom