• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Some Nobody

For people who have played all the FE games:

To say I've experienced all the story that Fire Emblem has, I would need to play:
- Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War
- Fire Emblem 5: Thracia 776
- Fire Emblem 6: Fuuin no Tsurugi
- Fire Emblem 7: Rekka no Ken
- Fire Emblem 8: The Sacred Stones
- Fire Emblem 9: Path of Radiance
- Fire Emblem 10: Radiant Dawn
- Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (remake of 1)
- Fire Emblem: Shin Monsho no Nazo (remake of 3)
- Fire Emblem: Awakening

Is that about right?

PsionBolt

For people who have played all the FE games:
To say I've experienced all the story that Fire Emblem has, I would need to play:

[list of games from 4 ~ 13]
Is that about right?

No, you missed FE2 (Gaiden). It's set in the same universe as 11 - 13, though largely unconnected.
If story is your primary concern, note also that 5 is a midquel to 4, 7 is a prequel to 6, 10 is a sequel to 9, 12 is a sequel to 11, and 13 is a far-future sequel to 12.

Some Nobody

No, you missed FE2 (Gaiden). It's set in the same universe as 11 - 13, though largely unconnected.

Figured I forgot something.

If story is your primary concern, note also that 5 is a midquel to 4,

Knew this

7 is a prequel to 6,

Knew this.

10 is a sequel to 9, 12 is a sequel to 11, and 13 is a far-future sequel to 12.

Did not know this.

I've played 4 and 6-8. I'm working on finishing Shadow Dragon and hopefully Shin Monsho before I go back to school in January.

Wait: 11-13....is that just Shadow Dragon, Shin Monsho, and Awakening?

The Mysterious Seal (SFC) is on its way.

This time I'm going to play without resetting upon character deaths. No, really. Probably.

Gazoinks

The Mysterious Seal (SFC) is on its way.

This time I'm going to play without resetting upon character deaths. No, really. Probably.

You say that and then your prized Myrmidon gets one-shot by an enemy with a 9% hit-chance and your options are either reload or punch a hole through your screen. :p

True story

Shengar

You say that and then your prized Myrmidon gets one-shot by an enemy with a 9% hit-chance and your options are either reload or punch a hole through your screen. :p

True story

Not hurt as much as miss 90% chance attack, then get critted by a low hp enemy with 4% chance.

Shengar

FEU should have map editor or something of that kind. I want to see what kind of crazyness that FE veteran could produce if they can create a map.

Chrom

There's this character in FE5, I believe her name is Tina, who has a really bad tendency to miss whenever she uses a staff. Countered by this is the fact that she has a strong likelihood to act again in the same turn due to having maximum movement stars.

PsionBolt

After I finish 4, I'm going to go for 5. This is going to go poorly because I'm finding the early parts of 4 hard.

...WAIT. You can miss heals?!

Hit rates in FE5 were made to piss people off. Yes, heals can miss. (But on the plus side, they can double sometimes, too.) On top of that, the maximum hit is 99 and the minimum is 1, just to screw you up when you think your chances are perfect. And of course it uses the oldschool 1 random number system, which doesn't skew results for high and low numbers like the new games, which can make it feel unfair for those used to never missing above 95.

There's this character in FE5, I believe her name is Tina, who has a really bad tendency to miss whenever she uses a staff. Countered by this is the fact that she has a strong likelihood to act again in the same turn due to having maximum movement stars.

Her skill is just bad. Like bad bad. Like even with a cap of 20 bad.

Though nothing some scrolls can't fix.

jzVbHPKjc92bv.png

fe5.bmp

Some Nobody

After I finish 4, I'm going to go for 5. This is going to go poorly because I'm finding the early parts of 4 hard.

I really hope you get the proper characters for Gen. 2 then, because the second half is quite a bit more difficult. That last map was ridiculous. I still get irked thinking about it, and I haven't played it in over four years.

Gazoinks

I really hope you get the proper characters for Gen. 2 then, because the second half is quite a bit more difficult. That last map was ridiculous. I still get irked thinking about it, and I haven't played it in over four years.

Bah! I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm just out of practice! Probably!

I'm going to miss Sigurd and Aira in Gen 2 though. The baddest of asses. :'( It's kind of funny that this game's obligatory over-powered cavalry unit is the Lord.

I feel FE4 is about managing your army (enough troops to do the job) and not having all your units heading in the same direction. Also making good use of the warp and return staffs (and the return ring) to help with backtracking in maps (I'd say a good half of the maps have this) otherwise you have lots of turns where nothing happens which is boring. You can even power level staff users with those staffs (which is a must for EXP ranking since some of them do not have high availability).

I like the limited weapons aspects too. It makes you really think who gets the Silver Sword, which units get hand spears etc rather than being "oh everyone who can afford one". Another random thing, enemies can only critical with the critical skill or killer weapons. I dislike the imbalanced weapon weights (when your weapon triangle evade advantage is negated by your weapon weight...) and character usefulness being dictated by having the pursuit skill to some extent.

As for missing heals in FE5. It is linked to the skill stat. I think 0 is like 60% and >=12 is 99%.

GamerSoul

Aww yea I was finally able to beat paralogue 16 to get
Nah
when I first had the chance, I never had her this early so it should be fun. That paralogue is not joke but luckily I'm just doing a hard/casual for fun before I fail miserably on lunatic+ lol. Severa u next.

I don't know how you guys put in work for the galeforce abilty for most of those character. I have a friend who was able to plan ahead and get most of his army with it on his first run lol.

This song is so good:

Id - Fire Emblem: Awakening

As much as I like FE7-10's soundtracks, Awakening's may very well be my favorite.

Does anybody know if the vocals in Awakening's music are synth or not? I probably just don't have a great ear for it, but they sound real to me. At the very least they are much higher quality synth samples then previous FE games...

EDIT: Relistening to the Fire Emblem theme section of the song I posted above, the vocals have to be real...

McNum

Id~Purpose is pretty good. I'm impressed that it uses an accordion as the lead instrument and still manages to pull off an epic feel. I almost get the feeling the composer did that just for the challenge of it.

GamerSoul

FEU should have map editor or something of that kind. I want to see what kind of crazyness that FE veteran could produce if they can create a map.

They could pull this off on the handhelds too. Strategizing from enemy's perspective, coordinating reinforcements, choosing what type of terrain to work with, etc. It would be great.

lol. missing heals? i dunno if I could handle that.

Planning helps. So does DLC.

I've tried but planning ahead is not my strong point. If I have 3-4 units with Galeforce I'm satisfied.

edit: what are some of your favorie character designs? These games are full of great designs. Some of mines from FE7

Gazoinks

Everything I've said about Fin is redeemed. Dude had 3 health, uses a lance, and dodged an axe attack that had a 94% hit chance.

...and then Aira died so I reloaded. :p

FE5 is hilarious and worth a try if you're a diehard fan of Fire Emblem. Its only difficult because so much of it feels different from other Fire Emblems since the mechanics are a lot different.

Healing staves can indeed miss but they can also double. So that's that.

But did you know, all characters have a hidden critical modifier that impacts how likely they will critical the second hit, if they are actually able to double attack? Othin with his special weapon actually has close to 100% chance of having his second attack be a critical because his hidden critical modifier is so darn high.

TWILT

Banned
Favorite character designs? Let's see

FE7: Lyn, Jaffar, Raven
FE8: Joshua, Marisa
FE9: Ike, Zihark, Stefan, Mia, Volke, Black Knight (both Tellius games btw)
FE10: Edward, Sothe, Haar, Jill, Shinon
FE13: Lon'qu, Cherche, Lucina, Owain, Sumia, Say'ri

I'm sure there's more. I'm mostly a huge sucker for the badass Myrmidon/Swordsmasters. Second place for me is the Wyvern riders.

FE8 Epinephrine,Lyon, Cormag Myhrr.

FE9:Ike, Soren, Black Knight, Shinon, Nephenee, The herons, Zihark, Volke

FE10:New Ike, Nolan, Sephiran,Skirimir

FE13:Lucina, Lon'qu, Say'ri

Fandangox

From 6: Canas' son, Bartre's Daughter. I don't remember their names unfortunately, only played 6 once, but those are the characters whose designs I remember liking.

From 7: Matthew, Canas, Athos, Bartre, Legault. The four fangs.

From 8: Faaaaaaaa, Colm too.

From 9: Damn almost everyone, Makalov, Volke (pre promotion), Marcia, Greil, Bastian.

From 10: Same as above, plus BROLAND.

From 13: I liked Lon'qu's design, Sully's, Gauiu''s and Maribelle.

Everything I've said about Fin is redeemed. Dude had 3 health, uses a lance, and dodged an axe attack that had a 94% hit chance.

...and then Aira died so I reloaded. :p

Prayer is OP man, learn to abuse it
(spoilers: it was actually a 14% chance to get hit)

Favorite character designs? Oh boy.

FE4: Briggid, Shasaher, Lackhe, Sety, Faval, Finn, Ethlin, Levin, Leaf
FE5: Carrion, Eyrios, Evayle, Finn, Kain, Karin, Leaf, Linoan, Sety, Shiva, Tanya, Sleuf
FE6: Brunya, Hugh, Klein, Percival, Tate, Zeis, Wolt
FE7: Harken, Heath, Isadora, Louise, Pent, Renault, Rebecca, Wolt
FE8: Neimi, Colm, Natasha, Joshua, Ephraim, Ismaire, Selena
FE9/10: Tormod, Aran, Calill, Edward, Gatrie, Geoffrey, Kieran, Marcia, Ranulf, Rhys, Stefan
FE11/12: Frey, Norne... (ok, everyone here was pretty forgettable)
FE13: Stahl, Lon'qu, Cordelia, Olivia, Cherche, Owain, Lucina

Does anybody know if the vocals in Awakening's music are synth or not? I probably just don't have a great ear for it, but they sound real to me. At the very least they are much higher quality synth samples then previous FE games...
They did sound a bit sampled (thinking of final map). When I look on VGMDB the only tracks that have vocal credits are for the summer and spa FE themes (and they would get this information from the CD sleeve) so I guess they were samples after all. Its a shame composers don't credit the sample libraries they use.

That reminds me the FE7 opening was first synth for the vocalist to time rhythm and then vocals were downsampled because the GBA is limited. Which reminds me, I may have the source instruments for FE8 somewhere but no skill with sequencing software to put them together and no idea how complete the set is.

Marz

Playing through Path of Radiance for the first time right now.

Shove mechanic is interesting, although I find myself not bothering with it at all most of the time.

Game has the best story out of what I've played in the series, I was actually surprised that there was story in a FE game.

I heard you have to beat the game a ton of times for extra characters though?

They're only used in bonus maps though. Btw, you need a GBA Fire Emblem game and GBA<>GCN link cable to unlock some more of those (and art gallery for characters in that GBA FE game).

StayDead

One of the most cruel things about FE5 is that, if one of your units die and you say "Fuck this, I'm not resseting", you have to play the rest of the map with this depressing, requiem-like music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpgHRknUO6g

I still need to get FE4/5 and finish FE3 on virtual console but I don't think missing heals will make me as annoyed as those damn gargoyle summoners who summmon seemingly random amounts at you at the worst possible times. God damn I've not played Gaiden in like 3 months and it's still annoying me thinking about it.

NYCrooner

I'm sure to has been discussed already this thread is huge...

This is my first foray into a FE game (Awakening) and so far I enjoy it but its super deep and I don't want to miss out on too much.

My question at the moment is understanding the difference between Pair Up option and just standing next to someone? I tend to just let characters support each other side by side but I feel like I should be choosing Pair Up though I have no idea what the difference is.

McNum

Pros for Pair Up:
+ Increased stats on the lead unit
+ Increased chance of Dual Attack/Guard
+ Increased Support points
+ Can hide a vulnerable unit behind a tougher one
+ Can carry a slow unit with a fast one. Like pairing a Knight with a Pegasus Rider. (Also the Knight stat bonuses are just want Sumia and Cordelia want.)

Cons for Pair Up
- Only the lead unit can act
- Can only block one space instead of two
- Only the lead unit can be healed

And that's about it. Pair Up is in most cases a massive advantage for you. And when you start building up A and S supports, then Pair Up becomes very, very strong.

Playing through Path of Radiance for the first time right now.

Shove mechanic is interesting, although I find myself not bothering with it at all most of the time.

Game has the best story out of what I've played in the series, I was actually surprised that there was story in a FE game.

Shove can be a freaking lifesaver when you really need it. The extra character are all in it's direct sequel Radiant Dawn iirc but I usually don't need an excuse to replay PoR.

Levyne

Banned
There's been a few times where I want a character to do something on a specific turn and I have to string shove him like 4 times to get him into position, haha.

Gazoinks

There's been a few times where I want a character to do something on a specific turn and I have to string shove him like 4 times to get him into position, haha.

I love the image of that.
"Guys! I don't think I can run there in time!"
"On it!"
*shove shove shove shove*

I'm about to take the plunge with Fire Emblem Awakening. I'm getting a 3DS at Christmas and have been looking forward to this title since reading Rich Stanton's 10/10 review of it on Eurogamer.

I've never played an SRPG before, unless a few minutes of Advance Wars DS counts (I don't even know if that series is SRPG or not). I'm drawn to the supposed deep gameplay mechanics and replayability. Hopefully this goes well, it's a new genre for me.

Top Bottom