• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Shun

I mean when your main nation names is the equivalent of Black Kingdom and White Kingdom I mean it would make sense to make it sound a little more fantasy themed...

When you have 嬉しいです as 80% of the lines expressing happiness of course your localization will add in more different ways to say "I'm happy"

When the most colorful character in the game in terms of unique lines is Wood/Odin and Ophelia, you know there's something up...

The games from the 90s are no different.

Fire Emblem has always been Game of Thrones with the plot of a morning childrens anime.

It doesn't have to be particularly good or colorful to convey a lot of themes. But it would be nice to have some writing variation outside of the same shit dialogue over and over and over.

You should be happy with your english localizations.

Golnei

I was talking about the Thracia fan translation. To contrast it with the Fates localisation as an example of how the memes the latter is maligned for weren't particularly harmful in the end...

Chrom

Ciosh0tVEAAXm5Z.png

Daily Fire Emblem Cipher card intros for Series 5 have started. Time for that Elibe goodness.

Aters

I was not saying it went downhill, in fact the series maintained high quality until Awakening. I was just saying that although each entry from then on made improvements here and there, FE4 was the last one that really go out and try something new both story wise and gameplay wise (well FE5 is very innovative too but personally I think many innovations in FE5 are not welcomed).

Relase a prettier version of the same game today and the new audience that Fates and awakening brought will leave most likely.

Given the fact that Awakening almost drove me away, I have no doubt for that.
Still, this statement is true for most of the game on SNES. They need more than graphic improvement to cater to today's audience, but overall I think FE4 haven't aged much compared to other SNES games.

NeonZ

Those "ill-fitting memes" represent 1% at most of the game's overall writing, of which there's a ton of in Fates
also the rawr dragon one's implementation was adorable in how it showed off Kana's character
. Frankly, it's amazing that Treehouse was able to improve upon the source material that Fates provided because, being frank, Fates' three stories are varying degrees of "not good" with Conquest as a potential low point for the series for its pretentious, repetitive dialogue and Birthright barely rising above being okay.

It's not like they actually improved on it though. The main story, which was Fates' most flawed point, also seemed to receive very little touch ups compared to the support dialogue and paralogues. Several expository scenes in Conquest still carry a very clunky and stilted writing, exactly like the fan translation.

And they also completely missed the point of some writing decisions of the original game, like how they reworded several of Laslow's sentences that were supposed to be ambiguous without considering the possibility that Chrom could be his father.

You know, I know some of you guys love FE4 story, but it isn't that good. I like it because it happens during the battles mostly, but it's still has its problems.

Draxal

I hope they continue to release the Fire Emblem Cipher art books at events like Comiket. I'm a pretty devoted FE collector, but I don't think I can justify getting into collecting the cards even though I like (some of) the illustrations quite a bit - I'd rather stick to the books.

Art Book 4 is confirmed to be there at the caravan; along with a tote bag, card binder, pen and Takumi/Leo playmat (going to be a fight to the death over that one).

http://fecipher.jp/event/1caravan/

I personally don't like the artbooks ... because they're too small and don't show all of the art.

PK Gaming

Finally ended up finishing my FE8 Sethless run. Closing thoughts:

-No doubt about it, the game is much better without Seth. Hard mode is actually somewhat challenging at times if you don't grind, though the overall experience is still very easy (it's like 2.5/5 difficulty instead of a hard 1/5). I guess the classic "don't use Seth he sucks up EXP" adage was sort of right! Except instead of EXP, he sucks up fun
-Ending was simple, short and sweet. Makes me cri erry time.
-Lyon
is the most tragic FE character.
-Too many mediocre unit. Neimi, Colm, etc needed better bases. Trainee units were a mess.
-Story was solid. Basically Fates done right, ahahaha... :-(
-Eirika and Ephraim are good lords, and collectively they're arguably the best in the series
-Eirika > Ephraim's route from a narrative perspective, Ephraim > Eirika's route from a gameplay perspective

And with that out of the way, onto FE7

Sölf

As much as I hate FE 8 for being pretty easy overall, even without grinding, that friggin Ghost Ship mission on hard is probably one of the most annoying chapters in FE history.

NeonZ

Is it worth leveling Mozu up?

In Conquest, she's a good way to get a 2nd archer (you can immediately change her class), something that might be very useful already by chapter 10. In Birthright, she isn't really necessary, and won't match up Takumi either due to the lack of personal weapon.

Is it worth leveling Mozu up?

short answer: not really

long answer: totally worthless in Birthright, can be a decent Kinshi Knight in Conquest but still not really worth it, can go Kinshi Knight again in Revelation and this time she's not holding the rest of your team back unless you're Corrin-stomping everything anyway

Thracia is next on their to-do list. IIRC

I know, I'm so excited. Still, this is probably a few years off.

OH, any Gaffers playing FE8 on emulator? I could use some save files in various points in the game from both routes. Being emulated is very important since that makes it easier for me to capture video footage. It doesn't matter what point in the game, or route. I just need a few saves where I can jump back and forth in various chapters.

I need it for a project I'm working on. I'll give you credit of course.

Yay! My Fates European LE has shipped from GAME, except it's not for me, because I bought it for my friend.

Meanwhile my own LE is stuck in UK store limbo...

What am I doing with my life? o__o

Oh well, I don't have time to play it anyway.

Sölf

Yay! My Fates European LE has shipped from GAME, except it's not for me, because I bought it for my friend.

Meanwhile my own LE is stuck in UK store limbo...

What am I doing with my life? o__o

Oh well, I don't have time to play it anyway.

Switch them and play the one you get first.

Heh

Haha

Ahahahaha

Even I can't deny how godlike FE7. Playing through it again and it's like, wow this game is incredible
Best balance, best characters, most interesting story imo. It's not the most challenging game but it's definitely harder than 4/8/9.

There's a lot of nostalgia there for me but I legit think it's sooo good.

PK Gaming

Best balance, best characters, most interesting story imo. It's not the most challenging game but it's definitely harder than 4/8/9.

There's a lot of nostalgia there for me but I legit think it's sooo good.

Tbh I was kind of resenting it because I felt its fans overrated the hell out of it + I didn't have a good experience playing it as a kid. But now?

I said Goddamn

Draxal

Got all set four promos. Marthsuki's really nice in person.

Edit.

I like 7's villains betters (black fang + nergal is a good combo). But I think Ephraim's the best of the GBA lords, FIGHT ME.

Codeblue

Edit.

I like 7's villains betters (black fang + nergal is a good combo). But I think Ephraim's the best of the GBA lords, FIGHT ME.

I'll take this a step further and say I enjoyed FE8's cast more than 7 overall.

Edit.

Gameplay wise? Absolutely, he's Raven with javelins and a horse.

Character wise? I might like Roy better.

Eirika best GBA lord

I will fight everyone on this

EDIT: Oh and Hector. He's the best GBA lord too.
imo

Hector > Lyn > Eirika > Eliwood > Ephraim >? Roy

I thought about handing the W to Roy but then I remembered "I don't pick fights I can't win" and I can't deny the badassery of that line.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I will buy Fire Emblem fates tomorrow, though see those comments about the olds Fire Emblem games... hell, it's a long time since i don't buy games before the gen 7, cause i don't buy thing online (I know i really should start).

I fell like a n00b teenage. :p

L95

I only bought Fire Emblem 7 as a kid because one of the Main Characters had my name.

I say that was a good decision.

My gramma bought me FE8 as a present 'cause the cover has a dragon on it.

(Though I do kinda also share my name with a FE7 lord myself. Kinda.)

lol okay now that I've finished chapter 3 + a paralogue Robin is stupidly broken lol, Veteran OP

Edit: actually a skill like Veteran for a character with low growths might be kind of interesting, not that that applies to Robin at all lol

jnWake

lol okay now that I've finished chapter 3 + a paralogue Robin is stupidly broken lol, Veteran OP

Edit: actually a skill like Veteran for a character with low growths might be kind of interesting, not that that applies to Robin at all lol

Donnel's ability is hilarious. I had him marry Panne and Yarne maxed out some stats pretty quickly.

My Robin never turned out very strong for some reason.

Gunter with Veteran? :p
I was thinking a lower leveled character though lol

Donnel's ability is hilarious. I had him marry Panne and Yarne maxed out some stats pretty quickly.

My Robin never turned out very strong for some reason.
I mean when Donnel joins right around when Robin hits level 16ish for me he's not really going to compare.

I was kind of worried reclassing Robin to Pegasus Knight would kill the snowball but it's just as stupidly effective as it was before, if not moreso. Let's see how chapter five goes!

Preliminary rankings are Eirika = Hector > Ephraim > Lyn > Eliwood > Roy but it might change

I don't know. I think Eirika is a glorified Lyn. I like Ephraim's stats better since he's more balanced. Most of the other characters lean one way or the other too much. Hector is either a Tank that can double or hit shit to save his life, and Lyn/Eirika's all speed and dodge without being able to do much damage. Eliwood's ok, but his Ultimate weapons is ungodly heavy, and Roy is mediocre. Ehpraim doesn't really excel at anything, but he is consistent. He can hit, take a hit, and plow through shit with his weapons.

Heh

Haha

Ahahahaha

Even I can't deny how godlike FE7. Playing through it again and it's like, wow this game is incredible

Play the game in Japanese. The English version had its difficulty nerfed.

Top Bottom