• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

PBalfredo

The one thing that makes me a bit hesitant of going back to FE7, as good was it was otherwise, is having to babysit Merlinus.

My memory consists of a lot of instances of

"Okay Merlinus, just stay right here, you'll be safe"

Suddenly, wyverns

The one thing that makes me a bit hesitant of going back to FE7, as good was it was otherwise, is having to babysit Merlinus.

My memory consists of a lot of instances of

"Okay Merlinus, just stay right here, you'll be safe"

Suddenly, wyverns

Merlinus has godly dodge though. In the later levels, I actually use him as bait.

I don't know. I think Eirika is a glorified Lyn. I like Ephraim's stats better since he's more balanced. Most of the other characters lean one way or the other too much. Hector is either a Tank that can double or hit shit to save his life, and Lyn/Eirika's all speed and dodge without being able to do much damage. Eliwood's ok, but his Ultimate weapons is ungodly heavy, and Roy is mediocre. Ehpraim doesn't really excel at anything, but he is consistent. He can hit, take a hit, and plow through shit with his weapons.
Eirika is like Lyn except her rapier is godly because effective damage is x3 instead of x2 and then she gets a horse an absurd prf on promotion, which means she's not really anything like Lyn.

Hector's usefulness drops off like a rock after about ten chapters especially in the first few chapters he's pretty strong because of his bulk and Wolf Beil, and no one other than Marcus will be ORKO'ing enemies so his inability to double isn't that bad, especially if he can OHKO the cavaliers in chapter 14. Eliwood is okay but the nerfed effective damage really hurts him. I love Lyn but she sucks lol.

Roy is actually a pretty big contributor in chapter 4 but is otherwise godawful (and only contributes in chapter 4 because everyone not named Marcus or Dieke is also terrible).

Ephraim is probably the best raw combat unit in the game, he's Raven but with a better weapon type and he gets a horse. He does everything really well, especially since Reingleif is absurdly strong. He's easily the best unit of any of the GBA lords.

Also Robin is stupidly broken I don't think I can get over this. why did they even put other units in this game.

PK Gaming

I don't know. I think Eirika is a glorified Lyn. I like Ephraim's stats better since he's more balanced. Most of the other characters lean one way or the other too much. Hector is either a Tank that can double or hit shit to save his life, and Lyn/Eirika's all speed and dodge without being able to do much damage. Eliwood's ok, but his Ultimate weapons is ungodly heavy, and Roy is mediocre. Ehpraim doesn't really excel at anything, but he is consistent. He can hit, take a hit, and plow through shit with his weapons.

I wasn't just measuring their viability in the game. I factored in personality, character arc and story prominence as well.

In any case, Eirika isn't a glorified Lyn because Eirika spends the entirety of the early game bodying axe users and bosses that can be clipped by her Rapier (with an earlier/better promotion to boot). Lyn has to contend with Cavs that wreck her, low damage, horrendous durability and bosses that she can barely touch since slayer weapons are nerfed in FE7 and an extremely late promotion. Also, why are you holding Eliwood's ultimate weapon against him when it's literally only usable in one chapter? (He is pretty mediocre though.) And Ephraim excels at being an asskicker. Incredible growths, solid bases, and locked to the best weapon so he can spam Javelins like an asshole.

If I had to rate them in terms of pure viability, it'd go with: Ephraim >>>Hector > Eirika > Eliwood > Lyn > Roy.

Play the game in Japanese. The English version had its difficulty nerfed.

Too much work :V

Draxal

Ci3hQHPU4AAqZEe.png

Dieck.

Last preview of the week. The Cipher stream will be tomorrow and might have mobile information (doubt it).

Golnei

true, true, it's just like, how do I have a unit that's gained 25ish levels across 7 chapters?

Also why is Dieck wearing a shirt?

Honestly, I kind of prefer this interpretation. Dieck's chest was always drawn to be kind of flat and unappealing comparatively, while here you just get a glimpse of his arms to fuel the imagination. Maybe it'd be better if they gave the armour an ab window to compromise?

Yay! I'm so happy, my EU Fates Special Edition actually arrived!

This thing survived not one, but two cancellations to get here DX

But wait... where's my Nintendo UK store exclusive coin? Huh, I think I'll hold off from building that RNG Goddess shrine for now >___<

Shun

Some stuff in storage that needs to be archived and scanned in the future.

Couple of the Fire Emblem fans at pk is selling some old school stuff like the Thracia novels and some of the picture postcards and magazines. One of the fans in Hokkaido that I'm acquainted with is selling old stuff too.

There is a lot more than this If anyone might be interested in some older Fire Emblem stuff.

Posters, art books, fujoshi doujin (safe and 18+), and more that's being handed around.

Draxal

I wonder if Hirota will get to work on Cipher, or is she completely blacklisted like Kaga is.

I'm hoping Katsuyoshi Koya gets at least one piecein for the Seisen set.

Okay as of chapter 12 Awakening is starting to lose a lot of its luster for me that it had before. The last time I played the game I was a lot scrubbier and wasn't trying to actively break it with Robin snowball or anything beyond "I like these units and want to use them" so solving problems under those constraints was enough brain activity to be fun.

But now chapter 12 is the second time I've gone "ah fuck it" and just had Robin crush everything by herself. She's now re-reclassed to Dark Flier and has gained almost 60 levels in the process? I'm about halfway through the game and she has max speed (with another like +9 from Chrom pairup and Speed +2). I think it's less that the maps aren't interesting, some of the maps that I've remembered as being fun when my units aren't intentionally broken, but just that when a unit, especially Robin, enters juggernaut status they are invincible. I mean Milady in FE6 is wtf levels but she's still relatively mortal. Are later chapters going to resemble anything remotely threatening?

PK Gaming

FE7 is the best Part 7

So i'm pretty sure FE7 is the best Fire Emblem game. It's not my favorite (Conquest is), but as far as overall gameplay, story, characters, challenge and map design is concerned it pretty much tops. Here are some of the reason why:

1) Solid cast of characters

FE7 is a game that is filled with extremely likeable and quirky characters. Something that FE7 completely destroys FE8 (and many of the FE games tbh) is character dynamics. Relationships are extremely strong in this game, and this extends even to the minor characters/antagonists. You get stuff like the standard yet brotherlike dynamic of Sain and Kent, the Nils and Ninian's bond, and the super good Hector/Eliwood duo. The main lords are pretty solid as well; Lyn's likeable and her being from Sacae is a plot point that stays relevant. It gives weight to certain reunions or fights between fellow Sacaeans. Honestly, I've even come around to Eliwood because even though he's fairly bland, his relationship with Hector is great and his arc is simple but poignant. Nothing needs to be said about Hector. That man basically encapsulates the FE7 experience as a whole. Just amazing on all fronts. The antagonists also benefit from the improved character dynamics; most of the bosses in this game are memorable and some of them are even likeable. Nergal is a delight.

2) Persistent characters

So these characters aren't just great, they actually exist past their join chapters. This is something that's become less and less prominent as the series goes along. PoR/RD had base conversations and Awakening/Fates have the extended support system and barrack conversatons, but FE7 characters actually exist in the main narrative. It's awesome. And what's more, boss conversations are very extensive and characters will talk in maps when they're deployed. It's a great way of actually incentivizing the player to actually use some of these characters.

3) This game nails progression

CjAHtaQXIAA6OpS.jpg

I love moving from each chapter to chapter. The other FE games aren't bad at it, but FE7 is really good about it. Maybe it's the music or maybe it's Eliwood/Hector's slowly moving as ominous music plays. The journey too, is also fantastic since you visit many memorable locations and actually stay in regions there due to how the game works (FE:Fates drops you in interesting locations too, but you leave way too quickly to fully appreciate them)

The only thing I dislike about the game is the incredibly shitty avatar character, haha. Still so bad, haha.

Okay as of chapter 12 Awakening is starting to lose a lot of its luster for me that it had before. The last time I played the game I was a lot scrubbier and wasn't trying to actively break it with Robin snowball or anything beyond "I like these units and want to use them" so solving problems under those constraints was enough brain activity to be fun.

But now chapter 12 is the second time I've gone "ah fuck it" and just had Robin crush everything by herself. She's now re-reclassed to Dark Flier and has gained almost 60 levels in the process? I'm about halfway through the game and she has max speed (with another like +9 from Chrom pairup and Speed +2). I think it's less that the maps aren't interesting, some of the maps that I've remembered as being fun when my units aren't intentionally broken, but just that when a unit, especially Robin, enters juggernaut status they are invincible. I mean Milady in FE6 is wtf levels but she's still relatively mortal. Are later chapters going to resemble anything remotely threatening?

yup, although post-Plegia arc is like the post-Ryoma chapters in Birthright in that there's a handful of good maps but a lot of crap

(and Birthright is really just as easy to solo as Awakening!)

yup, although post-Plegia arc is like the post-Ryoma chapters in Birthright in that there's a handful of good maps but a lot of crap

(and Birthright is really just as easy to solo as Awakening!)
I've actually been itching to see if this is true but I probably won't want to do New Awakening again so soon after Awakening the First.

yes it really is, just load up your 1-2 range, dump all the statboosters, and proceed to stomp

forget Corrin and Ryoma, Rinkah and Hayato can do it pretty easily (I bet if you tried hard enough you can even get something as silly as Onmyoji Hana to work, but we won't even count that)

PK Gaming

eh part 7? i guess i missed part 1-6 somewhere.....

I was just making a silly joke

yes it really is, just load up your 1-2 range, dump all the statboosters, and proceed to stomp

forget Corrin and Ryoma, Rinkah and Hayato can do it pretty easily (I bet if you tried hard enough you can even get something as silly as Onmyoji Hana to work, but we won't even count that)

still easier than rolling with sorc robin and mashing start to clear extremely flat maps

CazTGG

Pretty much agree all around, save for the avatar portion...kind of. While they're superfluous to the plot (to the point where you're given the option to remove any mention of/conversation with them upon a new playthrough) and don't have a personality to boot, they're an effective way of reinforcing one simple fact: You are not these characters and this is not your story. You're tagging along for their adventure, but that doesn't mean you don't have an important role. Yours is perhaps the most important of all: Commanding everyone on the battlefield and ensuring the best possible strategy is carried out, choosing who is best to fight alongside who and where they're needed. There's a surprisingly clever, almost meta nature to its implementation, in that this tactician shares the same role as the player as they guide their favorite character across the grid. It serves as an interesting contrast to Fire Emblem: Awakening and Fates where those game's avatar equivalent (Robin and Corrin) became progressively more important to the plot, in Robin's case it was in a very literal sense as seen when Awakening's story progressed i.e. the amnesiac in the field
turns out to be the one who destroys the world in the future by being the key to resurrecting Grima due to their blood...or not because the future Robin can time travel back to make themselves the sacrifice or something(?)
, to the point where Fates made Corrin the main character whose importance to the plot supersedes the events themselves i.e. the years of conflict between Nohr and Hoshido becoming a full-on war whose victory is determined by their decision on who to side with.

PK Gaming

Pretty much agree all around, save for the avatar portion...kind of. While they're superfluous to the plot (to the point where you're given the option to remove any mention of/conversation with them upon a new playthrough) and don't have a personality to boot, they're an effective way of reinforcing one simple fact: You are not these characters and this is not your story. You're tagging along for their adventure, but that doesn't mean you don't have an important role. Yours is perhaps the most important of all: Commanding everyone on the battlefield and ensuring the best possible strategy is carried out, choosing who is best to fight alongside who and where they're needed. There's a surprisingly clever, almost meta nature to its implementation, in that this tactician shares the same role as the player as they guide their favorite character across the grid. It serves as an interesting contrast to Fire Emblem: Awakening and Fates where those game's avatar equivalent (Robin and Corrin) became progressively more important to the plot, in Robin's case it was in a very literal sense as seen when Awakening's story progressed i.e. the amnesiac in the field
turns out to be the one who destroys the world in the future by being the key to resurrecting Grima due to their blood...or not because the future Robin can time travel back to make themselves the sacrifice or something(?)
, to the point where Fates made Corrin the main character whose importance to the plot supersedes the events themselves i.e. the years of conflict between Nohr and Hoshido becoming a full-on war whose victory is determined by their decision on who to side with.

Oh, that's an interesting way of looking at it. I still absolute abhor how much the characters worship the avatar (Lyn literally says "even when you're not here we all talk about how much we miss you!"), and the characters talking to someone who doesn't respond is just the worst, but at least the avatar's impact on the plot is fairly minor.

Looking forward to the FE7 remake where the avatar becomes a fully fledged character, lmao

Draxal

Oh, that's an interesting way of looking at it. I still absolute abhor how much the characters worship the avatar (Lyn literally says "even when you're not here we all talk about how much we miss you!"), and the characters talking to someone who doesn't respond is just the worst, but at least the avatar's impact on the plot is fairly minor.

Looking forward to the FE7 remake where the avatar becomes a fully fledged character, lmao

Lyn's cameo in Awakening was like lol for that reason.

NeonZ

Nope. Awakening outside of DLC (and some lunatic battles) clearly wasn't balanced around characters gaining enough levels to max their stats.

Level design-wise, Awakening somehow actually becomes worse later on. The initial maps are basic and simple, but pretty standard. However, for the stretch of maps starting from the first battle against Walhart himself, it seems like the designers just gave up. Aside from the one level where you have to escape from Mire sorcerers, every level is just a bunch of open field battles. Even the ones taking place inside castles.

So I ended up with a used copy of Shadow Dragon, I had intended to buy Radiant Dawn instead but the store I saw it in sold it by the time I could get around to buying it (boo! lol)

Interestingly enough the saves on the game had someone playing on hard with pretty everyone reclassed, I dunno if I'm gonna dive into it anytime soon I didn't enjoy SD the first time I went through it.

CazTGG

So I ended up with a used copy of Shadow Dragon, I had intended to buy Radiant Dawn instead but the store I saw it in sold it by the time I could get around to buying it (boo! lol)

Interestingly enough the saves on the game had someone playing on hard with pretty everyone reclassed, I dunno if I'm gonna dive into it anytime soon I didn't enjoy SD the first time I went through it.

Out of curiosity, do they have the Elysian Whip event item on any of those save files?

jnWake

FE7 is the best Part 7

So i'm pretty sure FE7 is the best Fire Emblem game. It's not my favorite (Conquest is), but as far as overall gameplay, story, characters, challenge and map design is concerned it pretty much tops. Here are some of the reason why:

1) Solid cast of characters

2) Persistent characters

3) This game nails progression

1) is so true. One of the things I disliked about Awakening was that most bosses are complete nobodies. The only important ones I can recall are: Gangrel, Walmart, Aversa and Validar. The rest are so lame that you even have Aversa and Walmart as bosses twice... Other than that there are a few that get dialogue but most of them are horribly bland. Walmart's Knight with the moustache is kind of memorable because of his horrible jokes and the guy that doesn't want to battle you after Emmeryn's death is cool too. There's also Excellus but he doesn't even get a chapter for himself. Yen'Fay had potential too but he dies very soon.

2) is kinda true except for the guys from Lyn's campagin. Kent and Sain got so much dialogue there that when they don't talk in the rest of the game I was disappointed. This area is still one of FE's main weaknesses IMO. They should just have more branching events depending on who is alive and who is dead.

Lynx_7

My first impressions of Horse Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy Sigurd after playing through the prologue and chapter 1:

-Is it just my awful luck or do most characters other than Sigurd have awful growths? Game has barely started and I've already been blessed with 2 empty level ups and a bunch of single stats lvl ups. Oh, and speaking of Sigurd, he lives up to the hype.

-There sure are a lot of horses around here.

-It's so refreshing to play a Fire Emblem with an engrossing narrative after Conquest and Birthright. It's got a surprisingly dark "lore" for a Fire Emblem game too, specially considering the time this was released.
I love how the story is mostly presented and developed through the maps themselves instead of the clear-cut division of cutscene time/gameplay time of the other titles.

-Also a looooot of Axes.

-I like the big maps so far. Yeah, it gives a huge advantage to mounted units, much more so than usual, and it does take a while to traverse each map, but it also offers a great sense of scale and a different dynamic in how missions play out. I wouldn't say it's inherently better or worse than the direction the series eventually took, but it's certainly an interesting approach and one I'd like to see IS revisit someday with their current expertise in gameplay balance and design. I feel like they could expand on a lot of the potential here. Maybe not for a whole game, but a chapter or two like that could be neat.

Now, a few noob questions:

What is the formula behind your character's speed? I know it involves Weight like in the GBA games but I'm not sure exactly which stats are involved since there's no constitution.

I don't understand how movement works in this game. Like, Ayra theoretically only has 6 movement but I can move her 8 tiles depending on the direction I go.

What's the most effective way to marry units?

So far I'm really enjoying it and it's kinda making me sad that I'll have to wait god knows how long for a proper Thracia patch. Maybe I'll try Tear Ring Saga afterwards.

Draxal

Screen Caps are from.

https://twitter.com/kizuna_fecipher

Roy/Lilina

And promoted versions (looks like the Starter exclusives}

Thany and Tate.

Dieck with his R+ version.

Naked Dieck for Bonen

Wolt and Elen

Llugh and Sue

Micaiah and Soren

Sanaki

SR and SR+ version Sanaki

Bastian

Nephenee

Sigrun and Soren

Muamir and Vika

Seisen Art from Set Six

YES YES YES YES. I was scared when Rika Suzuki was announced as the artist but she nailed it.

Diadora

Adean

Lewyn

Rachesis

Xander

Garon

Anankos

Forrest

Midori

Xbro

I don't understand how movement works in this game. Like, Ayra theoretically only has 6 movement but I can move her 8 tiles depending on the direction I go.

What's the most effective way to marry units?

So far I'm really enjoying it and it's kinda making me sad that I'll have to wait god knows how long for a proper Thracia patch. Maybe I'll try Tear Ring Saga afterwards.

Movement can be affected by the environment. Take notice of how many roads there are on the maps. Roads make units move faster, but also leave them more open for attacks.

Best way to marry units is to just leave them next to each other at the end of turns. Love points stop accumulating at turn 50, so keep that in mind.

Micaiah and Soren
Diadora

Think you mean Sothe and Deirdre.

Draxal

the art for fe cipher has really approved since its beginning

I don't know, it's usually the same artists putting out the good cards.

Like Wada's eliwood is good, but all her previous stuff was good.

Rika Suzuki is very hit or miss I liked her Camus but hated her Xander/Ryoma ... and let's not talk about her Owain.

So glad she nailed this Sigurd.

Top Bottom