• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Seima no Kouseki-- Anyone else have it yet?

Just got my copy today. Haven't put much time into it, but it seems to look slightly better than Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi, and the fact that you can CHOOSE YOUR DIFFICULTY LEVEL before starting the game makes me very happy.

I'm still not sure on the monster battling, but the first battles revolve around the usual Fire Emblem enemies, so I guess the monsters come later. So far it's pretty fun, but I'm still extremely early.

Some really nice music too.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
is this the fire emblem where I saw pics of branching evolution paths? if so, how does that work?

are the *shudder* conversations in again such that I will have to waste 100 hours of my life filling in the little conversation table?

CVXFREAK: As far as I know, it's a lock for an english release.

slayn: Yes this is the one with branching paths. You can choose your path ala Tactics Ogre map. Also, yes Support Conversations make a come back.

OK, on the fourth mission right now and so far it looks like shit gets fucked up and you're left to clean it. Well, Eirik (I'm sure she'll be renamed Erika in english) just got driven out of her homeland as bad dudes from the south invade her kingdom. So far we've gone west and recruited people and we're on our way south. I haven't exactly been paying attention to the story because of the, oh say, the HUNDREDS OF KANJI WAILING DOWN ON ME FROM EVERY WHICH WAY, but the little gist I do understand seem typical Fire Emblem (ie: good).

So far, battle plays out just like Fuuin no Tsuguri, but I'm sure once we hit some monsters, the shit will get fucked up some more.

Very fun, I'm liking the ability to play on "HARD" from the very beginning.

Spike

CVXFREAK said:
How likely is a U.S. release?

I hope it's VERY likely. :D

Very likely. :)

Also, there is a good chance that the first GBA one would come here if enough people write into NoA and ask them to bring it here. Get started on those letters and emails people!!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm only a few missions in but it seems pretty good so far. Ran into the zombies, skeletons and weird eyeball monsters.

There are also a few characters who are "basic's" which means they have no class defined for them. One of them is Ross who you can get in the 2nd chapter, he automatically changes into whichever class you choose for him when he reaches level 10. As far as I know, the branching system with each class will cross, i.e. tank knights can either turn into generals or into mounted knights.. or a pegasus rider can turn into a pegasus knight or a wyvern knight, so you aren't exactly limited to a certain characters class.

The inclusion of the difficulty levels is quite good too, play it on easy will result in a tutorial type within your first missions whereas the other two give you the basic idea of the story and off you go.

edit: sorry I should add that Ross is naturally an axe-wielder at first, you can then change him into a pirate/beserker or simple align him onto the sword fighter path.

slayn

boh, so its not like true branching but more like... alternating between types?

I thought it was gonna be like... a figher can become a paladin or a dark knight sorta thing and only a fighter can become either of those two classes.

speedpop

Nah not really, that would be cool but I guess Intelligent Systems thought that it might destroy who a character initially is.

i.e. an important ally is a dark knight for such purpose, his general appearance personality wise might be judged differently if he was just your random wyvern knight.

slayn

it works in ogre battle :(

are there any other differences in how fights function? ie, being able to dismount or any neat things like that that weren't in the fire emblem: whatever weird japanese subtitles was released in the us

I remember people saying the one we got was pretty dumbed down... how does this one compare?

speedpop

I heard rumblings that you might be able to dismount, I don't know if they are credible at all.

As for the US debut of Fire Emblem, I think it is true that it was essentially created for American's in mind. The tutorial itself with Lyn lends to that fact, but I just didn't have to re-do a certain mission 10-20 times like I have had to do with earlier Fire Emblem's.

So far I got upto Eirik's brother, Ephraim who uses spears and he seems rather good for a Lord.. it's also good to be back to all blue-haired heroes :D

No disrespect to Roy or Eliwood fanatics.

Top Bottom