• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Supposedly they added in that new HTML5 image rendering thing to give us higher quality images. Not sure if I can really tell a difference or not.

So the lion/mountain lion scrollbars are still not implemented. I can't believe it has taken this long. The bug was filed almost two years ago...

I haven't felt a difference in Firefox in a while. Ever since I installed it on Windows 8, it's just been stagnant. Bookmarks icon mysteriously vanishes. And why can't the Facebook bar be moved to the add-on bar yet? New tab thumbnails have been broken since forever ago. It's spreading, too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I haven't felt a difference in Firefox in a while. Ever since I installed it on Windows 8, it's just been stagnant. Bookmarks icon mysteriously vanishes. And why can't the Facebook bar be moved to the add-on bar yet? New tab thumbnails have been broken since forever ago. It's spreading, too.

Weird I haven't had any of those new tab or bookmark problems. Maybe try a clean install of v18?

ksdixon

Jesus, what's going on with YouTube tonight?

- HTML5/WebM turned off - hate that shit, Flash works better for me.
- Flash settings set to not enable acceleration
- FireFox options set to not use hardware acceleration when possible.

Usually these mean YT works fine. Tonight is madness.

Shiv47

I've used Firefox for ages without any problems, until today. I was using it last night, worked fine as usual. This specific problem is on my work laptop, which I bring home when working at home. I often unplug it at home and re-connect at work, without any issue. Today however, upon re-opening the computer, Firefox was running so slowly that it would take several seconds for the cursor to move. Upon opening Task Manager, FF would flicker between running and not responding. I re-started the computer, same problem. I started FF in safe mode, and it ran normally. So I assume it's an addon, but how do I determine which it is? Google searches and FF support were frustratingly not much help, as all I can see in the Addon window is extensions and plug-ins, rather than the addons I have. So what should my next step be? I have FF18 installed, and probably not more than 5-10 addons.

MrBig

I've used Firefox for ages without any problems, until today. I was using it last night, worked fine as usual. This specific problem is on my work laptop, which I bring home when working at home. I often unplug it at home and re-connect at work, without any issue. Today however, upon re-opening the computer, Firefox was running so slowly that it would take several seconds for the cursor to move. Upon opening Task Manager, FF would flicker between running and not responding. I re-started the computer, same problem. I started FF in safe mode, and it ran normally. So I assume it's an addon, but how do I determine which it is? Google searches and FF support were frustratingly not much help, as all I can see in the Addon window is extensions and plug-ins, rather than the addons I have. So what should my next step be? I have FF18 installed, and probably not more than 5-10 addons.

Disable them all, see what happens when opening again, then turn them on one by one.

Shiv47

Disable them all, see what happens when opening again, then turn them on one by one.

Where do I turn off the add-ons though? When I go to Tools/Add-ons, all I have the option of turning off are Extensions, Appearance and Plug-ins.

Shiv47

They're labeled as extensions.

Oh, I see. I realized that I forgot to mention in my original post that I did a reset after reading the FF support page, but that did nothing either, hence why I wasn't seeing my add-ons in the extensions window, as they were removed with the reset. So I guess it isn't add-ons. What else would I want to check?

Anyone recommend some good clean non amateur looking theme for firefox? I used Rein but its not compatible for the latest version.

MrBig

Oh, I see. I realized that I forgot to mention in my original post that I did a reset after reading the FF support page, but that did nothing either, hence why I wasn't seeing my add-ons in the extensions window, as they were removed with the reset. So I guess it isn't add-ons. What else would I want to check?
Then it's likely a bugged plug in. Id just look up how to create a new ff profile.
Anyone recommend some good clean non amateur looking theme for firefox? I used Rein but its not compatible for the latest version.
stratiform lets you make some nice refinements over the default

ksdixon

I'm trying to re-organise my FF UI to make the menus & toolbars minimized. But I have having major trouble with the FF Button and the Minimize/Maximize/Close Buttons. They appear to have a massive amount of padding around them, which I've colored pink in the image below, which is a non-maximized firefox window.

Can someone please tell me how to remove them?

buttonpadding.png

MrBig

It looks like you have some sort of large text mode turned on and that's messing with things. You may be able to adjust things via the stratiform add-on. It allows you to edit a bunch of different elements

Here's my nav UI for reference, I was able to get it rather compact relative to the defaults

untitled-2dqqhq.jpg

ksdixon

I did have Windows set to medium display settings. But that hasn't fixed the issue after setting it back to small/default. :(

There is still the 'border padding' around the FF button and min/max/close buttons.

Persona7

Banned
18.0.1 is out now, update!

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/18.0.1/releasenotes/

What’s New in Firefox 18.0.1:

FIXED 18.0.1: Problems involving HTTP Proxy Transactions (Associated bugs)
FIXED 18.0.1: Unity player crashes on Mac OS X (bug 828954)
FIXED 18.0.1: Disabled HIDPI support on external monitors to avoid rendering glitches (bug 814434)
NEW Faster JavaScript performance via IonMonkey compiler
NEW Support for Retina Display on OS X 10.7 and up
NEW Preliminary support for WebRTC
CHANGED Experience better image quality with our new HTML scaling algorithm
CHANGED Performance improvements around tab switching
DEVELOPER Support for new DOM property window.devicePixelRatio
DEVELOPER Improvement in startup time through smart handling of signed extension certificates
HTML5 Support for W3C touch events implemented, taking the place of MozTouch events
FIXED Disable insecure content loading on HTTPS pages (62178)
FIXED Improved responsiveness for users on proxies (769764)
(transcription from http://www.neowin.net/news/firefox-1801-now-available-for-download )

Pooya

yeah, just restarted Firefox as it already downloaded the update without me noticing, it feels even more smoother now indeed, still on some sites I can see 'framerate' drops when scrolling like theverge homepage that's quite heavy on firefox, chrome and IE feel very smooth on it though, not sure what's the problem.

It looks like you have some sort of large text mode turned on and that's messing with things. You may be able to adjust things via the stratiform add-on. It allows you to edit a bunch of different elements

Here's my nav UI for reference, I was able to get it rather compact relative to the defaults

untitled-2dqqhq.jpg

Cool little add-on right there.
Can more styles be added to that or is what the default styles it has is it?

ksdixon

Done some more investigating. Firefox's spacing/border/padding issues are fucking frustrating.

I am using an addon called 'Stratiform', in tandem with the 'Tabs always in titlebar' addon. I am ignoring Stratiform's 'move tabs into titlebar in a normal (restored) window' option for now, because no matter what I set that as in the menu or in about:config, I am still left with a gap. Here are the results:

nexmin2.png

When the FireFox window is non-maximized:
1. Using Stratiform to change the tab height (when various userchrome edits didn't work) from the default 26 to 21, this took away the 'pink padding' as I called it in my previous post from underneath the firefox button and the min/max/close buttons.
2. Using Tabs Always In Titlebar and setting the about:config > extensions.tabsalwaysintitlebar.distance to '-1' I can completely get rid of any border on top of the tabs.

nexmax2.png

When the FireFox window is maximized:
The border underneath the firefox button reappears, as does the border on top of the tabs.

Problems I have now are:
- Padding to the right of the FF button before tabs begin.
- Padding to the left of the min/max/close buttons, which makes the new tab button not fit next to them.
- When minimized the window border on the left/right side gets thicker.
- When maximized the border underneath the firefox button and on top of tabs reappears.

markot

Banned
I just hope they work harder on their mobile offerings. I stick to chrome mostly on mobile cause the ui of firefox isnt super terrific. But theyve made it alot faster and what nots recently. But I hate how they manage tabs.

sca2511

My gripe with FF on Android is that it doesn't scroll smoothly. I see it hiccup on mobile GAF and it's enough to steer me to Chrome.

ksdixon

I hate the new/current FF on Android which uses the default android chrome. So slow and unresponsive when doing things like holding down to ''right click''. The only thing it's got going for it over the older FF on Android (XMU build or something similarly named) is it's ability to properly embed YouTube links.

But YouTube Me Again 2.0 / NEOgaf YT Me Again 3 userscript solved that issue for me when using the older FF on android build anyway.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My gripe with FF on Android is that it doesn't scroll smoothly. I see it hiccup on mobile GAF and it's enough to steer me to Chrome.
That, along with the tabs....and for me, typing on GAF is such a pain in the ass for some reason. SwiftKey doesn't 100% work for me. I love how fast it is, but those issues push me away from using it.

S0N0S

I believe Rein has been updated to work with the latest FF on mozilla.org, but you can always go to the author's homepage([B]http://notiz.jp/mozilla[/B]) to find the latest version of Rein. He's pretty quick to update it there when a version of FF is released that is no longer compatible with it. Right now, the latest version will work with FF16-20.

What's the best ad-block for Firefox? I want something that blocks the annoying youtube and pop ads but that's easy to let sites like Neogaf display their ads.

Narolf

Banned
http://www.mediafire.com/?ac77hbc2y9i5nx7

Copy the file ~> Windows + R ~> Application Data ~> Press Enter ~> Mozilla ~> Firefox ~> Profiles ~> ue(blablabla)default ~> adblockplus ~> Overwrite the current profiles.ini by pasting the file~> Restart Firefox

My configuration also disables the displaying of Youtube's comments in bonus. Let me know if you don't want that.

Narolf

Banned
I can always provide you with screen-shots if you want.

What we're doing here is simply replacing your configuration file by mine, which white-lists GAF and disables Youtube comments as a bonus.

I like youtube comments.

I also tried 2 different ad-blocks and I did manage to whitelist neogaf in there but nothing happens. I'll take the screenshots friend.

Windam

Scaley member
To whitelist GAF in Adblock Plus (the add-on Road linked you to), just follow this screenshot and then refresh/load a different page. Ads every but GAF will be gone (including YouTube ads, but comments will still be there).
cYCgLnT.png

Narolf

Banned
Yeah, blocking Youtube's comments requires a specific inputting, it's not something you do using the user interface.

Winterfang, if you still have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Well the blocking bars appears bellow in my firefox version, but I managed to fixed it. For some reason the add-on bar wasn't visible before so I couldn't find it.

Thanks a lot guys, you are very helpful. You guys won't happen to know a great Neogaf app enhancer wouldn't you? =)

Madtown_

I just hope they work harder on their mobile offerings. I stick to chrome mostly on mobile cause the ui of firefox isnt super terrific. But theyve made it alot faster and what nots recently. But I hate how they manage tabs.

I agree with this, the mobile Firefox is not very good because of the tab handling. I've found Chrome to be a hog, and not particularly fast, so I just stick to stock.

MrBig

You guys won't happen to know a great Neogaf app enhancer wouldn't you? =)

For stylish and greasemonkey

http://userstyles.org/styles/56218/neogaf-pro-dark

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/78817

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/60843

and a stylish script I edited to resize images until they're clicked/dragged

Code:
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("www.neogaf.com") {

/* IMG +ROLL */

div[id^="post_message_"] img:not(.inlineimg) {
max-width: 1024px;
display:block
}

div[id^="post_message_"] img:not(.inlineimg):active {
max-width: 100000px;
display:block
}

/*END*/ }

Addnan

I'm having an annoying problem with firefox, it's not the end of the world, but damn it is getting annoying. The blinking thing that lets you type. No matter where I click the blinking bar comes.

zXZJDgE.png

Top Bottom