• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

Nuklear

Banned
Firefox 20 beta is out now. Brought 2 pretty big changes. One is that you can have a private browsing window and regular window open at the same time and two is the brand new download manager that is up by the search bar.

IIRC, The new download bar appeared in a build that was slated for 17 but then disappeared. I'm glad to see it's back in 20. No more of that separate download box popping up ever again!

IIRC, The new download bar appeared in a build that was slated for 17 but then disappeared. I'm glad to see it's back in 20. No more of that separate download box popping up ever again!

Yeah it appeared in a nightly or alpha build I think, but wasn't stable so it was ripped out. Being in a beta version means they are sticking with it this time. Also being able to have a private and normal browsing session open at the same time is great. For some reason they moved it out from under tools though and put it under the file menu.

I'm having problems looking at pictures since a couple of days ago. I just see a blank square, can't even see more of gaf avatars.

PGamer

fucking juniors
it may be some sort of memory/cache issue with the new ff build then, I'm on the current waterfox with no such issues
It's been happening to me since before 19. I think I starting getting this issue in 17 or 18. I clear my cache regularly as well so I do not think that it's a cache issue.

For what it's worth I just noticed that all of the example images I've seen this on seem to be greyscale PNGs. I'll keep a look out to see if that trend continues but I think it might have something to do with it.

Here's a color .png from mspaint and a greyscale .png saved in GIMP and uploaded to abload:
firefoxdbqrs.png

firefoxjboj1.png

I also downloaded Firefox 20 Beta, and is there a known issue with the flashplayer (I have Adobe flashplayer 11)? I can't seem to get the browser to recognize it; videos in Chrome and Firefox 19 work fine.

Madtown_

Firefox 20 beta is out now. Brought 2 pretty big changes. One is that you can have a private browsing window and regular window open at the same time and two is the brand new download manager that is up by the search bar.

Wow, I didn't know this was coming, but that's awesome! One of the main reasons I still use Chrome on occasion is the ability to have two sessions open at once. Now I can stick with Firefox..just need the beta to hit my Linux machines.

hirokazu

I'm having problems looking at pictures since a couple of days ago. I just see a blank square, can't even see more of gaf avatars.

This has happened to me since Firefox 17 or so when there are too many large pictures (all tabs added together). Switching to a different tab and back would often get the pictures to display, or scrolling the picture off-screen and scrolling back.

At least there's a new download thing to look forward to. That will make the download statusbar extension obsolete.

This has happened to me since Firefox 17 or so when there are too many large pictures (all tabs added together). Switching to a different tab and back would often get the pictures to display, or scrolling the picture off-screen and scrolling back.

At least there's a new download thing to look forward to. That will make the download statusbar extension obsolete.

That explains, I'll find myself in neogaf, facebook, 9gag, google, bing and deviant art often at the same time.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Has anyone been having occasional strange image rendering issues in Firefox? For example this GAF avatar looks like this when browsing:

2QZkq4G.png

The weird lines on the right are not supposed to be there nor is it supposed to look stretched like that. I figured this was a FF issue but I haven't heard anyone else bring it up so now I'm not sure.
Update: I've now realized that this issue is due to colour management in Firefox. I had colour management turned on as for some reason without it a few websites had wonky colours. So unfortunately now I have to decide between wonky colours or messed up black and white images.

Does anyone know if there's a fix for this or if there isn't where I can report the bug? I've never done bug reporting with Firefox before.

Road

Update: I've now realized that this issue is due to colour management in Firefox. I had colour management turned on as for some reason without it a few websites had wonky colours. So unfortunately now I have to decide between wonky colours or messed up black and white images.

Does anyone know if there's a fix for this or if there isn't where I can report the bug? I've never done bug reporting with Firefox before.

Is that an addon or what?

To file bugs: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

kharma45

Anyone ever had this problem with Firefox with text corrupting?

tnlX7uf.png

Only has happened since upgrading to FF19 on Windows 7 64-bit.

malfcn

Bug?

When I type something in the awesomebar things aren't highlighted. So when it sorts or I key down the list it is a bit hard to see what is what.

-BLITZ-

Everytime I'm trying to download large files like 1GB or bigger, around 600MB/800MB it stops showing an error, file couldn't be saved. The same I have with Chrome, but not with Internet Explorer, so this is not a server issue. I tried going through Firefox config, to increase the cache limit, but I still have the same problem. I used all google resources and I haven't found a way to fix this.

Toppot

Upgraded to FF 20 the other day, weird text has started appearing =/

Scrolling up and down past it fixes it usually.

9hnNGio.png

Please help.

Another Chrome to Waterfox user here! I've gotten used to it for the most part. Some sites like Knowyourmeme act very funky in Waterfox while they're fine in Chrome. The one thing I'm used to in Chrome is how New Tabs are opened . I really like Chrome's manner of opening a new tab next to your current tab instead of just opening it to the far right like Waterfox does. Any way to change this?

Road

Bug?

When I type something in the awesomebar things aren't highlighted. So when it sorts or I key down the list it is a bit hard to see what is what.

Help->Restart with addons disabled and see if there's any difference.

The highlighting is now very subtle, odds are it is working, but you can't notice on your screen (due to brightness etc.)

Another Chrome to Waterfox user here! I've gotten used to it for the most part. Some sites like Knowyourmeme act very funky in Waterfox while they're fine in Chrome. The one thing I'm used to in Chrome is how New Tabs are opened . I really like Chrome's manner of opening a new tab next to your current tab instead of just opening it to the far right like Waterfox does. Any way to change this?

If you mean a tab opened from a link you clicked, open about:config and see if browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent is set to true.

If you mean a new blank tab, I guess you'll have to use an addon. Here's one that supposedly does only this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/always-right/?src=search I haven't tested it. There are many addons for tabs, with a gazillion of other options too.

Type about:config in the address bar and set browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent to true.

EDIT: Beaten.

I'm using Waterfox. It's working better than firefox, because the latter wouldn't let me see most pictures. Chrome is really bad, I don't understand the love.

I'm using Waterfox. It's working better than firefox, because the latter wouldn't let me see most pictures. Chrome is really bad, I don't understand the love.

Chrome was incredible until v22. They've really let that browser go to shit. Firefox was dead to me until v22 went stable. I came back to find FF had improved massively.

inm8num2

So tired of Flash video player crashes, especially after I buffer something.

Not sure with whom to be more angry - Adobe or Firefox.

Im_Special

So tired of Flash video player crashes, especially after I buffer something.

Not sure with whom to be more angry - Adobe or Firefox.

Try the User. Many don't experience any crashing whatsoever, so this crashing problem is on your end, either somethings not updated, you're use bad add-ons or you mucked around with settings you shouldn't have. Try creating a new profile and see if that fixes it.

Another great update in FF20 is the much improved developer tools and debugger. It's much more similar to Chrome's dev tools now, which I absolutely love (more than Firebug even). Once they make the JS console be scoped to the current scope the debugger is in, I will probably switch over to FF for development again.

inm8num2

Try the User. Many don't experience any crashing whatsoever, so this crashing problem is on your end, either somethings not updated, you're use bad add-ons or you mucked around with settings you shouldn't have. Try creating a new profile and see if that fixes it.

LOL so defensive yet accusatory. Calm down or otherwise don't post if you're going to be like that.

Try few addons (just firefox and greasemonkey) and no settings tampering. Created a new profile before - no dice. Always update everything upon notification.

And actually I've found other threads on the web of people having similar problems. So your weak attempt to somehow blame me is even more premature. I did get a laugh out of your assumption that Mozilla and Adobe are immune to bugs.

Road

Flash problems are often related to hardware, actually. Try disabling hardware acceleration on either Flash or Firefox, or on both.

There was also a problem with the Protected Mode of Flash on Firefox, but I don't know if that still persists.

Im_Special

passive aggressive.

450 million people use Firefox and they all probably use Flash too, if this was a common problem you would be seeing a huge massive surge of crying posts about this crashing problem, hate to break this to you but you are the very small vocal minority here that's having this problem so chances are the problem is on your end. Like the last poster said, flash problems can often be a driver issue, and if you use an ATI card there is the problem, update to the latest beta drivers might fix it.

inm8num2

450 million people use Firefox and they all probably use Flash too, if this was a common problem you would be seeing a huge massive surge of crying posts about this crashing problem, hate to break this to you but you are the very small vocal minority here that's having this problem so chances are the problem is on your end. Like the last poster said, flash problems can often be a driver issue, and if you use an ATI card there is the problem, update to the latest beta drivers might fix it.

Wow. So any comment about a problem is now classified as crying, LOL. And in order for something to be a problem, there must be a massive surge o posts.

Did it occur to you people might discuss Firefox outside of the GAF, and issues that come up elsewhere on the net may not arise here?

And where did I say the problem wasn't on my end? I am quite aware it's an issue "on my end", the challenge has been figuring out where it's originating.

Your anger and attitude are baffling. I see other people offering helpful suggestions in a normal, polite manner, but for some reason you're raging. Have fun with that.

Replacing the words in my post with "passive aggressive" combined with your original response adds up to a level of irony beyond verbal description.

edit - my original post was tongue in cheek (facetiously angry, not actually angry)

Your original response did come off as very snide. This post doesn't make you look any better.

Help->Restart with addons disabled and see if there's any difference.

The highlighting is now very subtle, odds are it is working, but you can't notice on your screen (due to brightness etc.)

If you mean a tab opened from a link you clicked, open about:config and see if browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent is set to true.

If you mean a new blank tab, I guess you'll have to use an addon. Here's one that supposedly does only this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/always-right/?src=search I haven't tested it. There are many addons for tabs, with a gazillion of other options too.

Thanks, mine was set to True in about:config, but when you mentioned Addons, I thought I'd check Tabs Mix Plus and found the setting was turned off.

Mr_Zombie

Anyone else have problems with cache in Firefox? At my mom's laptop sometimes images, styles and javascripts won't load until you clear the browser's cache (either through History -> Clear Recent History... or Ctrl+R). I've already tried creating a new profile and it helped for few weeks, but recently the problem has returned. It's certainly isn't the fault of an add-on, because my mom doesn't use any, and she certainly didn't mess anything with configuration either.

I've been using FF for years now and I've never had such a problem.

Firefox 19.0.2 has been pushed out by Mozilla. The new version eliminates a security flaw discovered at security contest Pwn2Own.

VUPEN Security, via TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative, reported a use-after-free within the HTML editor when content script is run by the document.execCommand() function while internal editor operations are occurring. This could allow for arbitrary code execution.

Im_Special

Firefox 19.0.2 has been pushed out by Mozilla. The new version eliminates a security flaw discovered by hacker group Pwn2Own.

Pwn2Own isn't a hacker group, it's a security contest that's sponsored usually by Microsoft and Google every year which hackers and security experts from all over try to hack software and mobile devices for money.

Pwn2Own isn't a hacker group, it's a security contest that's sponsored usually by Microsoft and Google every year which hackers and security experts from all over try to hack software and mobile devices for money.

Ohhh, my fault. I couldn't understand what the hell it was in the articles I read. I just saw, "Pwn2Own immediately breaks IE 10 running of Surface RT" and thought that's what it was.

Top Bottom