• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First images of Daytona and SCUD Race in Outrun 2

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
8bit said:
When the thread starter says please do not link to the images direct, I'd be willing to bet they don't want them posted in forums either.

Jon B is a mod on NTSC-UK forums and seemingly has joined here just to do this, which is a little sad really. If a mod could please edit the post (I know you don't owe us any favours,) it would be greatly appreciated.

john b

just wondering if your site gave the proper credit to the poster who brought the daytona 2/scudracer track news to everybodies attention .... or if you just cut and pasted a forum post and posted it up on your site?

B E N K E

I always get the sense that there is some wierd form of male bonding going on with the UK press and their PR's. Now I know. Was it Sega PR? I'm meeting them tomorrow!

Anyway, when on the subject of sharing stories. Was any of you UK guys on the infamous True Crime plane ride? I've heard a couple of versions of it.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
john b said:
just wondering if your site gave the proper credit to the poster who brought the daytona 2/scudracer track news to everybodies attention .... or if you just cut and pasted a forum post and posted it up on your site?

You see, thjis is Jon's beef.

However, what he fails to note is this: (Extract from NTSC-UK forum)

"Martin,

The reason I didn't quote the source was to avoid you getting a fucking for revealing embargoed information on a public forum. I know that Stefan and Matt (Sega) were thoroughly pissed with you for doing that and I’m not surprised.

For the record, we knew what was there (bonus stuff) for weeks, but were asked not to run it. You can check this by all means. We simply ran it in its original for when you broke it for our own protection. We value our relationship with Sega, now that you know who has left.

We knew about the tracks, and we know a lot more besides. Martin, where have you gotten with the code? ..."

And he just can't get over it. It made him go crazy.
I think he needs love, as do we all... :)

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
B E N K E said:
I always get the sense that there is some wierd form of male bonding going on with the UK press and their PR's. Now I know. Was it Sega PR? I'm meeting them tomorrow!

Anyway, when on the subject of sharing stories. Was any of you UK guys on the infamous True Crime plane ride? I've heard a couple of versions of it.

I'll tell you anything you want to know about The Plane of Amazing and Ultimate Shame.
Hear the bit about the ten yoear-old girl and the drunken Welshman? :p

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
COCKLES said:
Returning from my month ban...I've been watching this thread with intrest.

And without being able to post and just read I realised. What a fucking bunch of whining babies you all.

THIS IS OUTRUN 2! WITH SCUD RACER & DAYTONA TRACKS FREE!

AS A BONUS!

AT NO EXTRA COST!

FOR YOU THE GAMER!

But still whine whine whine.

And don't pull the old I CARE HOW IT LOOKS routine. If Sega released Sega Ages Vol 84 with PIXEL PERFECT PORTS, the moaning anti Xbox fanbots would be posting telling us how the Xbox is 'cheating'.

"But..but....that's garoud shaded sub-vertice, splineal whopper shading....quite clearly inferior to the AM2 coded runtime-dynamic-subspace shadding the Model 3 board used".

You know...some of you guys really need to stop playing games and find another hobby, because honestly, I think gaming just isn't making you happy any more.

doncale said:
the fact that I want full ports of Daytona 2 and Scud Race, and other Sega games, is an entirely seperate matter.

Exactly. Cockly...I do see your point...and yes, our posts can come off as nitpicking and to a degree, I am guilty of it. But you must undertand that these posts and nitpicks of mine are a result of my emotions taking over. They are a result of how strong my desire is to have arcade perfect versions Daytona USA 2 and Super GT ported to the Xbox with online play. I want this more than anything in the world. I want it so fucking bad that I cannot help myself when seeing the tracks that I so dearly love ported with details missing like the bats from Daytona 2, or the Waterfall and fire from Scud Race. I what to race these tracks in their original form with the original cars, with the original music, with all the little original details, at home, and online against 7 other players.

Everyone has big dreams, that they've been wanting something so bad for so many years...and years...and years....well, this is MY DREAM!!! And I have been dreaming of having these two games on a home console and online for the past 7 years, ever since I first laid eyes on them at the age of 24.

Anyway, it behooves you guys to follow the development of this *GAMEFAQS THREAD*. I just posted the following over there and got this reply....

isamu said:
Anyway let me ask you this...

1)I realize that the Xbox does not have a good force feedback wheel, and that most games do not support ff. But as you may know, Sega GT does have ff support and Thrustmaster actually makes an FF wheel called the Ferrari GT FF wheel, or something like that. So I was wondering...will OutRun 2 have force feedback support? Or will it just have a simple vibration/rumble signal?

2)To the best of your knowledge, can you speculate on what the chances are of Sega deciding to develop either Daytona USA 2 or Super GT for the Xbox? Many fans have been longing for an aracde perfect version of these two games and it just boggles my mind that we have yet to receive them on any console. What are your thoughts on this and have you heard *ANY* rumblings/office discussions/behind the scenes talk about these games coming home as a possibility?

Darthsol said:
So many questions! :D

Isamu/Lordviper:

1 - Force Feedback, I'm not sure. I've seen a Ferrari wheel around the office and I know time has been spent on certain wheels to make sure they work. Since I'm at home at the moment, I can't check, so I would say a 'maybe' to this one.

2 - Daytona / Scud conversion. First bear in mind that we're under NDA with Sega, so even if I did know that a conversion was in the works, I wouldn't be able to tell you. However, as far as I know, there are no current plans. This would really be something to ask Sega. One thing I do think was that because of the huge amounts of requests to see Outrun 2 on a home platform, thats why it has happened. This is my own personal take of course, and should not be taken as 'the final word'.

Coincidentally, it was Sega's suggestion to add the bonus tracks, not ours. So you can see that they do understand what the fans want :)

Qoo: Off the top of my head there is no website entry, but I'm fairly certain we have some form of Online Ranking via Xbox Live. Again, I would have to check this when I get back in the office...

isamu said:
Excellent follow up questions guys....

First of all, Darthsol...again, we all wanna collectively thank you for taking time out to address us, the gamers, directly on behalf of Sumo Digital. It's not everyday you get to chat with an actual developer.

Now...I simply cannot wait for your results regarding the force feedback issue and whether it is in the game or not. I am hoping that the wheel you are referring to is *THIS ONE*

Here is a quote from a guy on the Xbox forums about how the wheel works...

=======================
Isamu...there is a force feedback wheel for the Xbox, the Modena 360 Force gt, no headset though and it works with rallisport challenge 2 (only a few games produce the force effects if they find the wheel, rsc 2 does, toca does a bit, sega gt and gt online do, pgr 2 does not) it doesnt do choke and clutch but it does cause the wheel to turn if you hit a rumble strip and simulates the wheels being knocked left and right on a gravel road quite well....

Also as it's motor driven centralisation it gives a better feeling of center than the other ones that use the old elastic rope centralisation method.

I would recommend this wheel, the only draw back is no headset socket, but all the ones ive used with a headset port feel cheap and dont give a sturdy feeling, they feel too loose.
========================

Now, Darth If it is this same wheel you have that has been tested with OutRun 2 and it works, that would be fantastic! I'd be very greatful if you could explore this issue, confirm if the signal is in the game, and get back to me.

wmhibes also raised a good question.... if the game has not gone gold and is not 100% complete yet, why are reviews popping for it already? Wouldn't it be foolish to review unfinished code?

Lastly, regarding the arcade to home ports of D2 and SR...

Yes, I would imagine that writing to Sega themselves would be the best idea, and that is what I am planning to do. But can you please do me a favor? The next time you talk to Sega, can you please let them know that there are many MANY fans out there who would very much like a Daytona 2 and Scud Race to Xbox port? I personally want these two games brought home and with online play and force feedback, more than anything IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!

There is nothing...and I mean *NOTHING* else videogame wise, that would quench my thirst more than pixel perfect ports of these two games brought home!

Darthsol, if and when you talk them again, ask them if they frequent internet message boards....then, please give them the url and ask them to come to this thread. Hell, just ask them to conduct a survey or poll asking gamers if they would want Daytona 2 and Scud Race on the Xbox with online play. I'm *QUITE CERTAIN* the results would be an overwhelming YES!!! :)

Mr Gump

Banned
There needs to be a whole lot more shutting the fuck up in this thread. Keep your shit to your PMs, cause' NO ONE CARES.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Mr Gump said:
There needs to be a whole lot more shutting the fuck up in this thread. Keep your shit to your PMs, cause' NO ONE CARES.

From his avatar, the aptly named Mr Grump is into wrestling. I, for one, am going to do what he says.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Mr Gump said:
Keep your shit to your PMs, cause' NO ONE CARES.

Agreed....

But more than that...

vince_16290.gif

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
OMFG that is by far the funniest avatar I have ever seen on this forum! Is that Vince McMahon trying to dance? I hate wrestling but Goddam that shit is beyond hilarious!!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

+....fucking.....1 to Mr Gump!!!

Sho Nuff

Banned
I want this more than anything in the world. I want it so fucking bad that I cannot help myself when seeing the tracks that I so dearly love ported with details missing

Dude. You are seriously messed up in the head, if the thing you want more than anything else in the world is Super GT and Daytona 2. Have you discovered women yet?

Seriously, I want good conversions of those tracks too, but this is approaching Jodi Foster-level obsession.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Folder said:
I'll tell you anything you want to know about The Plane of Amazing and Ultimate Shame.
Hear the bit about the ten year-old girl and the drunken Welshman? :p

No! P******!?!

And the PR who touched Adam in a special way was not from Sega.

isamu

Sho Nuff said:
Dude. You are seriously messed up in the head, if the thing you want more than anything else in the world is Super GT and Daytona 2. Have you discovered women yet?

Seriously, I want good conversions of those tracks too, but this is approaching Jodi Foster-level obsession.

I know. It's sad isn't it :D

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
arcade perfect versions Daytona USA 2 and Super GT ported to the Xbox with online play.

:lol C'mon now... How can a port be perfect? Things will have to be done differently.

MrSingh

I looked at SCUD race again recently and I can't help but feel that graphically it doesn't hold up well to the games of today. (granted the first time I saw Scudrace when it was first released I could do nothing but stare at it for an hour, marvelling at the sheer beauty)

isamu

MrSingh said:
I looked at SCUD race again recently and I can't help but feel that graphically it doesn't hold up well to the games of today. (granted the first time I saw Scudrace when it was first released I could do nothing but stare at it for an hour, marvelling at the sheer beauty)

Sorry but you are completely off base here! I IMPLORE you to go watch the ScudRace vids at *Marubaku.com* . The detail and artwork in Scud Race is simply UNPARELLED!! It has no equal! To say that another racing game like Burnout 3, GT4 or RSC2 look more pleasing to the eyes is simply stating a fallacy. It is a clear sign that you're being in denail.

Again....GO WATCH THE SCUD RACE VIDS and tell me you can find a game more beautiful than this! It just doesn't exist! The lighting, the animation touch ups, the environment, everything about it SCREAMS gorgeous!!!

Sho Nuff

Banned
isamu said:
Sorry but you are completely off base here! I IMPLORE you to go watch the ScudRace vids at *Marubaku.com* . The detail and artwork in Scud Race is simply UNPARELLED!! It has no equal! To say that another racing game like Burnout 3, GT4 or RSC2 look more pleasing to the eyes is simply stating a fallacy. It is a clear sign that you're being in denail.

Again....GO WATCH THE SCUD RACE VIDS and tell me you can find a game more beautiful than this! It just doesn't exist! The lighting, the animation touch ups, the environment, everything about it SCREAMS gorgeous!!!

OH MY GOD HE'S FINALLY LOST IT!!!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
isamu said:

I love SR and all man, but you are nuts.

isamu

Am I too much of a Scud Race whore?
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

isamu

Sho Nuff said:
After watching those videos again, Scud looks good, but is owned by PGR2 and Burnout 3.

DIE!!!!!!!!
boxing2.gif

DaCocoBrova

PGR2 is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo overrated.

Use another example please.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Okay, not PGR2, but RSC2 completely anally annihilates Scud Race in terms of graphics. Scud doesn't even remotely come close to the insane detailing and art design that DICE has produced on the Xbox. It makes Scud Race look ancient in comparison.

Saying the Xbox can't do a proper 100% Scud conversion is like saying a Pentium 4 might have problems running Doom II.

DaCocoBrova

Scud Race came out in the late 90s. It holds up damn well considering.

ourumov

Scud Race looks like RRV with less geometry and no pop-up...But then you realize it appeared on 1996 when we were playing our pixelated messes on PSX/Saturn and blurry messes on N64...
And then it becomes impressing.

That said I still think it could have been released this year and have good marks. The only element that looks bad is the water (not the waterfalls but the water itself).

isamu

DaCocoBrova said:
Scud Race came out in the late 90s. It holds up damn well considering.

It most certainly does.

doncale

Banned
PGR2 is dog shit next to Scud Race, Sega Rally 2 and Daytona 2.

semi-smooth games get owned by butter-smooth games :)

i've never played super GT/scud racer, but found an arcade recently that had it.. so i think i'll definately be playing it soon..

havent played outrun 2 either, but have played daytona 2 briefly..

regardless of all this, outrun 2 is going to rock.

doncale

Banned
Outrun 2 is getting close to release. the SOL guy who works at Sumo Digital seems to have hinted that Outrun 2 has gone gold. I'll try to dig up a link later.

doncale said:
Outrun 2 is getting close to release. the SOL guy who works at Sumo Digital seems to have hinted that Outrun 2 has gone gold. I'll try to dig up a link later.

This is true btw. It went gold at least a couple of weeks ago; boxed retail copies now exist.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
For the record.

And anyone interested. (Seven UK games journalists)

Adam's gay shame from EGN (read rest of thread) saw an amazing turn of events last night. Check this:

I was having a drink with a buddy of mine from Future. We were chewing the fat and the subject of EGN and GameStars Live cropped up. He said that the PR in question has, and has been offering around, a very different version of events.

According to the unnamed PR, it was Adam that made the move on him! That’s right, he said he was popping along to the toilet when evil sex-attacker Doree made his move, jumping on him and fondling him. He explained that he was in a relationship and let him down gently.

Talk about a reversal!
:D

segasonic said:
This thread should have been locked a long time ago...

IBL

Seriously, all the 7,000 OutRun threads need to be locked and just formed into one. The constant bumping is is out of hand.

Top Bottom