• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man 2 DS review

AirBrian

Thanks for the link. Several other previews had this being a pretty good game, so it's no surprise at the score.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Isn't this the first DS game review, period? Why wouldn't they do Mario? Maybe Nintendo didn't send it to them...

Did anyone read it? :(

The controls are problematic on the DS. While the in-game controls are responsive and quick, the hardware itself felt cramped and the buttons were tiny. After playing the game for roughly an hour my hands felt cramped and sore. Not a lot you can do about that, so lets talk about the game's controls.

The controls are straightforward and simple; the D-Pad moves Spider-Man, the Y button kicks, A punches, B is jump and also allows you to webswing. X shoots a zip line that allows you to rapidly pull yourself in the selected direction. The shoulder buttons are used to activate your specials and your "Spider Sense" engaging slow motion for a short while. The selection of your combinations occurs on the lower screen.

Other than the difficulty with the unit itself, the controls were responsive and served the game well. As the combat becomes more frantic you'll find some old-school issues crop up with the old-school gameplay. Any old school platform-gamer can tell you that well-timed bullet shots, birds, and bats are the most frustrating thing in the world. Some of the levels have you traversing train stations and skyscrapers complete with enemies who will shoot you off the side of buildings and signs that will knock you off of your perch as well. Trying to make a diagonal jump with your zip line, then bouncing directly to your left and making another diagonal jump before an enemy shoots you from a distance can add a great deal of pressure to the control scheme as it relies on the problematic D-Pad.

:eek:

unhappy.jpg

Unison

He probably has hooks for hands or something.

Otherwise, we can all just buy a NintendooDSSP in 6 months. :lol

The Nintendo DS means to change the way that we will be playing games, and Spider-Man 2 takes full advantage of this new revolution. The graphics engine is fantastic given the limitations of the hardware, and the new positional audio is impressive for a handheld. Old school gameplay mixed with old school difficulty makes the game challenging, and the addition of power-ups and minigames makes the gameplay varied enough to keep the game moving. Its nice to see a launch title take advantage of all the bells and whistles of a new platform so well. Spider-Man 2 has really set itself apart from the long list of planned DS launch titles. I give it the thumbs up.

I've never had this hard a time picking a launch game. All the games sound pretty decent.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Sims for the GBA was actually allright.. I can't say a whole lot bad about it. giving actual objectives was a brilliant move. though the game was pretty short.

Urbz could be decent, though definitely low rung on the launch day ladder.

Unison

I played Sims: Bustin' Loose on GBA and it was okay, in a 6 / 10 sorta way... I read in EGM, though, that the focus in Urbz is on social interaction, which sounds disastrous, since the character interaction in these Sims console games is exceptionally retarded and repetitive.

Unison

Basically, you just keep selecting "I like your hair" from a menu that also offers the choices "I hate you" and "Stop talking" until the Sim loves you.

Unison

It's not like Sims for the PC. It's barely customizable in comparison, and it's essentially a series of minigames and fetch quests. It's adequate, but not great, I imagine.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
TheGreenGiant said:
Did anyone read it? :(

The controls are problematic on the DS. While the in-game controls are responsive and quick, the hardware itself felt cramped and the buttons were tiny. After playing the game for roughly an hour my hands felt cramped and sore. Not a lot you can do about that, so lets talk about the game's controls.

The controls are straightforward and simple; the D-Pad moves Spider-Man, the Y button kicks, A punches, B is jump and also allows you to webswing. X shoots a zip line that allows you to rapidly pull yourself in the selected direction. The shoulder buttons are used to activate your specials and your "Spider Sense" engaging slow motion for a short while. The selection of your combinations occurs on the lower screen.

Other than the difficulty with the unit itself, the controls were responsive and served the game well. As the combat becomes more frantic you'll find some old-school issues crop up with the old-school gameplay. Any old school platform-gamer can tell you that well-timed bullet shots, birds, and bats are the most frustrating thing in the world. Some of the levels have you traversing train stations and skyscrapers complete with enemies who will shoot you off the side of buildings and signs that will knock you off of your perch as well. Trying to make a diagonal jump with your zip line, then bouncing directly to your left and making another diagonal jump before an enemy shoots you from a distance can add a great deal of pressure to the control scheme as it relies on the problematic D-Pad.

After trying out the DS for the first time yesterday, I have to say I agree with him on the feel of the system. I was playing Metroid and it just felt awkward and too cramped. It's very uncomfortable to use the touch screen and d pad at the same time. I also kept hitting the face buttons (A B X & Y) while trying to use the touch pad. I wouldn't think there would be a problem using a traditional control scheme though (d pad and face buttons). Nintendo has always taken a lot of time to make sure their controllers are comfortable. I hope this issue gets worked out with the DS.

Unison

Any old school platform-gamer can tell you that well-timed bullet shots, birds, and bats are the most frustrating thing in the world. Some of the levels have you traversing train stations and skyscrapers complete with enemies who will shoot you off the side of buildings and signs that will knock you off of your perch as well. Trying to make a diagonal jump with your zip line, then bouncing directly to your left and making another diagonal jump before an enemy shoots you from a distance can add a great deal of pressure to the control scheme as it relies on the problematic D-Pad.

I wouldn't blame the system for this... It sounds like a game control design issue.

3phemeral

open_mouth_ said:
174 is the new C-

I'm not sure if this is really some inside joke I'm missing, but 174/200 actually converts into a B+ if you use the traditional method of grading based on the 10 percent incremental. =)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
MadOdorMachine said:
After trying out the DS for the first time yesterday, I have to say I agree with him on the feel of the system. I was playing Metroid and it just felt awkward and too cramped. It's very uncomfortable to use the touch screen and d pad at the same time. I also kept hitting the face buttons (A B X & Y) while trying to use the touch pad. I wouldn't think there would be a problem using a traditional control scheme though (d pad and face buttons). Nintendo has always taken a lot of time to make sure their controllers are comfortable. I hope this issue gets worked out with the DS.
I would hold off all reservations on metroid's controls until you play it with the thumb stylus. by most accounts that changes things quite dramatically.

MadOdorMachine said:
It's very uncomfortable to use the touch screen and d pad at the same time. .

Have you played alot of PC FPS games? I've heard other people say they breezed right through the Metroid demo since it's just like PC mouselook controls.

Top Bottom