• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

LionPride

Banned
Anyone feel the new spider man movies will be too lighthearted in tone and lack some of the seriousness and edge of the Raimi trilogy? Part of what makes Spiderman so great is his villains, so having a lighthearted tone combined with MCUs allergic reaction to good superhero villains sounds pretty disappointing considering Spiderman has arguably the best rogues gallery in superhero fiction.
Nope

And what edge and seriousness of the Raimi trilogy?

I shit you not, the new official IMAX poster:

CxHqw0Ll.jpg

Cool. Feels appropriate.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Anyone feel the new spider man movies will be too lighthearted in tone and lack some of the seriousness and edge of the Raimi trilogy? Part of what makes Spiderman so great is his villains, so having a lighthearted tone combined with MCUs allergic reaction to good superhero villains sounds pretty disappointing considering Spiderman has arguably the best rogues gallery in superhero fiction.
There was edge in the Raimi movies?

Azzanadra

Nope

And what edge and seriousness of the Raimi trilogy?

Not much, but they were definitely darker contemporary MCU movies.

Like how Green Goblin got impaled by his glider? That shit was disturbing as a kid, and the entirety of Doctor Octopus' character was tragic as well. Osborne's craziness and the hallucinations as well Harry's vendetta against Peter and that scene with the knife in S2 was also harrowing. Heck, Uncle Ben's death at the very beginning of the trilogy set quite the message on action vs. responsibility.

The MCU? They can't even show Nazis in a WW2 movie.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Like how Green Goblin got impaled by his glider? That shit was disturbing as a kid, and the entirety of Doctor Octopus' character was tragic as well. Osborne's craziness and the hallucinations as well Harry's vendetta against Peter and that scene with the knife in S2 was also harrowing. Heck, Uncle Ben's death at the very beginning of the trilogy set quite the message on action vs. responsibility.

Edge is something different

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

Coulson got stabbed in The Avengers, Klaw's arm got torn off in Age of Ultron, Winter Soldier killed the Starks with his bare hands in Civil War, etc. Come on, dude.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Coulson got stabbed in The Avengers, Klaw's arm got torn off in Age of Ultron, Winter Soldier killed the Starks with his bare hands in Civil War, etc. Come on, dude.
Stark shooting missles in unarmored people all the time, Ronin crushes people with his hammer, Yondu and Rocket killing ravagers while cool music plays.

The list goes on and on.

The Starks dying in Civil War is probably the darkest thing I think of when I look back at the MCU. The combination of the way it was filmed, the style of it all and what was shown vs. what wasn't. Really quite effective in contrast to the largely lighter tone of the rest of the universe.

196157.gif

Stark shooting missles in unarmored people all the time, Ronin crushes people with his hammer, Yondu and Rocket killing ravagers while cool music plays.

The list goes on and on.
HYDRA goon gets chopped up by a propeller in The First Avenger
Bucky kicks a SHIELD agent into a quinjet engine in The Winter Soldier
The Ancient One falls onto pavement with a sickening crunch

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is the Vulture rig supposed to be a variant of the Falcon suit?
I've just been assuming it gets mentioned since it's MCU

Looks like Toomes and his goons are gonna recycle old weapons from Avengers battles, and he is a engineer, so he will most likely have powered up a Falcon suit.

The list goes on and on.

I see this in conversations about comic-book movies all the time. The tone through which an action is presented has as much, if not more, to do with how much of an impact it makes than the action itself.

The end of Spider-Man, while very brutal, doesn't leave such an impact just because of the brutality, but also because of the tone. The final Spidey/Goblin fight in the film shifts the tone into straight up nightmare town. Those violent moments in MCU films don't hit in the same way, not because the actions themselves aren't about as brutal, but because the film glosses over them instead of lingering on the brutality and horror like bits of the first couple Spider-Man movies do.

I see this in conversations about comic-book movies all the time. The tone through which an action is presented has as much, if not more, to do with how much of an impact it makes than the action itself.

The end of Spider-Man, while very brutal, doesn't leave such an impact just because of the brutality, but also because of the tone. The final Spidey/Goblin fight in the film shifts the tone into straight up nightmare town. Those violent moments in MCU films don't hit in the same way, not because the actions themselves aren't about as brutal, but because the film glosses over them instead of lingering on the brutality and horror like bits of the first couple Spider-Man movies do.

Agreed. I think Civil War and the murder of the Starks is the closest comparison in the MCU (the emphasis on it, the way it's shot) but even that feels more restrained compared to Spiderman.

I'm sorry but Doc Ock's arms annihilating the doctors and nurses and that one woman dragging her nails is the most terrifying thing I've seen in a superhorror, I mean slasherhero film. Fuck!

Ronan crushes a man's skull and then watches his blood run across the ground.

Like, I get what you're saying, but, no.

I'm sorry but Doc Ock's arms annihilating the doctors and nurses and that one woman dragging her nails is the most terrifying thing I've seen in a superhorror, I mean slasherhero film. Fuck!

One of the best villain scenes in CBMs, alongside Magneto's prison escape, Joker's warning video and Tony building the Iron Man armor.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There was no edge on the Raimi movies, is just that they don't have a funny Spider-Man (you know, like the character on the comic).
Last time I saw the Raimi movies, he was also wisecracking.
Not that I considered it funny, I dont even do this 9 of 10 times in the books, but that doesnt change the fact that he does it, it just doesnt match my humor.
Still, you are just plain wrong here.

Top Bottom