• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

Have I entered the Berenstein dimension where Spider-Man 2 is a completely different movie?

It's one of the best superhero movies ever made, and you people are crazy.

Also, what is with this damn obsession some people have about requiring a film's protagonist to be "likable" at all times?

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

Can't everyone just chill and discuss their opinions like adults?
giphy.gif

AoM

Some of the hyperbole that comes out of these initial reactions always makes me suspicious. Not that I look for those that are bleak, but I prefer the ones that are more muted.

Of the superhero films made since 2000 during the commonly recognized modern-era of superhero cinema, specifically focused on superhero films primarily focused on or about teenage superheroes, specifically the subgenre of superhero films focused on teens that have also been rebooted in one form of the other, I think Spider-Man: Homecoming is probably the 3rd best of all time of teenage superhero films (rebooted at least once since the modern era began in 2000).

Pretty ringing endorsement, I think.

I would NEVER say the original "Spider-Man" is a bad movie. It's a damn fun movie. I just don't know if critics, upon re-watching it, would hold it in the same esteem they do now.
I think this is a common misunderstanding of the difference between a film critic and a film enthusiast. I believe any student of film worth their salt would be able to watch something like Raimi's Spider-Man and appreciate it for the what it tries to do as an adaptation, how it emulates older films like Superman, and the context of when it was released after 9/11. That probably sounds pretentious but all serious critics should be to some degree. I don't mean to say Spider-Man is a masterpiece but it definitely deserves its place in pop culture history as a landmark film for the superhero genre.

(none of this means anyone is required to like the movie btw)

*sees thread title* "Oh goodie! A Spider-Man thread! I can't wait to read all the posts quoting the Raimi films and hype about how Spider-Man 2 is still one of the greatest superhero films of all time!"

*enters thread and reads post*

I'm quite satisfied. Good work, fellow GAFers!

zulux21

must make a note to never trust William Bibbiani on any review ever.

anyone saying glossing over the origin story is a bad thing is instant black list for me.

that was one of my happiest days in the last few years when I learned that there would be a new marvel penned spiderman and it wouldn't be another blasted origin story.

it's been done 3 times (spiderman 1, spiderman 2 (seriously I hate that this is only half of a movie because the first half is wasted on the origin story again) and then amazing spiderman)... let it be.

anyways glad that it's getting well received as it looks great.

Ahasverus

All if see is "fun fun fun" which is not enough to make me watch a Marvel movie (every Marvel movie is "fun fun fun", even Thor 2).

zulux21

Have I entered the Berenstein dimension where Spider-Man 2 is a completely different movie?

Also, what is with this damn obsession some people have about requiring a film's protagonist to be "likable" at all times?

spiderman 2 is a good movie that is held back by a stupid decision to waste half the movie doing the origin story again.

if it didn't do that I would consider it a great movie, but as it is it's only a good movie to me.

Whompa02

Marvel movie is "fun" oh boy...something tells me that means I'll forget this movie exists in about 24 hours after I see it.

Just hope it's somewhat memorable. Personally feeling a bit burnt on superhero stuff because of how fluffy they have been.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Too much fun in these movies, why isn't the brightness set all the way low like it should be? And when does Spidey snap Vulture's neck?

Seventy70

Marvel movie is "fun" oh boy...something tells me that means I'll forget this movie exists in about 24 hours after I see it.

Just hope it's somewhat memorable. Personally feeling a bit burnt on superhero stuff because of how fluffy they have been.

Same here. Personally, I can't remember the plot to half the superhero movies I've watched. I wish they would take more risks and actually try to be something other than "mindless fun". I would welcome a superhero movie that isn't afraid to take itself seriously in spots.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Of the superhero films made since 2000 during the commonly recognized modern-era of superhero cinema, specifically focused on superhero films primarily focused on or about teenage superheroes, specifically the subgenre of superhero films focused on teens that have also been rebooted in one form of the other, I think Spider-Man: Homecoming is probably the 3rd best of all time of teenage superhero films (rebooted at least once since the modern era began in 2000).

Pretty ringing endorsement, I think.

Alright, this was funny. lol

LotusHD

Banned

Same here. Personally, I can't remember the plot to half the superhero movies I've watched. I wish they would take more risks and actually try to be something other than "mindless fun"

Y'all may need better memories lol

Tobor

Fantastic impressions and a shit ton of negativity in here.

Sounds about right.

Movie will be awesome confirmed.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

spider man 2 is a terrific movie, but i don't think it's crazy to prefer a charismatic hero

Seventy70

I'm not even talking about making everything dark and gritty. It just seems that superhero movies are afraid of making any kind of emotional connection with the audience these days. Maybe that just resonates with Millennials or something? I really dislike the "careless, nihilistic hero" trope.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm not even talking about making everything dark and gritty. It just seems that superhero movies are afraid of making any kind of emotional connection with the audience these days. Maybe that just resonates with Millennials or something? I really dislike the "careless, nihilistic hero" trope.

No idea what you're talking about tbh

Tobor

What's impressive is how Spider-Man Homecoming is really solid but only the third best comic movie this year behind Logan and Wonder Woman. And it'll likely drop to fourth or fifth.

look at Nostradamus over here. What are the lottery numbers for next week?

Top Bottom