• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fist of the North Star |OT| of heads exploding and instant beard growing!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dark Octave said:
This game is going to be a blast to play for fans (myself included) but sadly, I honestly give it less than three months before it's $14.99 in the bargain bin.

You think so? I think it'll hold it's price fairly well. Not because it's going to be popular (it won't be), but because it's going to be REALLY hard to find in three months. I don't see Koei having printed too many copies of FotNS, honestly.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Sevket-Erhat said:
I wonder if this game speeds up a bit as you progress as you move really slow

Kenshiro is slower than some of the other characters. Also you will come across a motorcycle now and then, and
Raoh's horse on one stage.

matmanx1

Yeah I don't really think this game had a large print run. I was the only reserve for it at my local Gamestop and they got 3 PS3 copies and 2 360 copies. Bare minimum for a store with a reserve, really.

MoxManiac

Not sure what to think of this game; it doesn't seem to play like a musou game, which is probably a big plus for most people, but is actually a minus for me.

TimeKillr

matmanx1 said:
Yeah I don't really think this game had a large print run. I was the only reserve for it at my local Gamestop and they got 3 PS3 copies and 2 360 copies. Bare minimum for a store with a reserve, really.

I found one at one of the independent game stores here in Montreal and I got a copy reserved there, just to make sure... going during my lunch hour.

Can't wait to blow heads up!

And Mox, I know you're a big fan of Musou games (like me!) so what exactly makes it so it doesn't feel like a Musou game?

MoxManiac

I've only played a little of the demo, so I haven't made a full judgement yet; but the main thing I like about these games is the army vs. army dynamic with objectives and covering your allies etc. So maybe Dream mode delivers in this aspect?

Although I have a hard time believing that badass FOTNS characters would be yelping for help from the player like little bitches.

MoxManiac said:
I've only played a little of the demo, so I haven't made a full judgement yet; but the main thing I like about these games is the army vs. army dynamic with objectives and covering your allies etc. So maybe Dream mode delivers in this aspect?

Although I have a hard time believing that badass FOTNS characters would be yelping for help from the player like little bitches.

That is exactly what Dream mode is. Even has tons of generic generals on both sides' armies. Legend mode is more like a more linear Beat-Em Up stage design w/ boss battles and all while Dream mode is your typical Army vs Army Musou stage design.

TimeKillr

I just got it and played for about 45 minutes here at work..

God it's fun. :) The looks on people's faces while I was playing were freaking priceless too... Everybody was all like "WTF is this shit?" :lol

Kenshiro pulling off a hyakuretsuken on a bunch of thugs at once = win. :)

JKTrix

Bit of a glitch I just encountered: killed Uighur, but I'm stuck in the phase after you kill him where you're forced to just walk around--can't attack or pause or anything. I really don't want to play that whole level over again.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
AdawgDaFAB said:
That is exactly what Dream mode is. Even has tons of generic generals on both sides' armies. Legend mode is more like a more linear Beat-Em Up stage design w/ boss battles and all while Dream mode is your typical Army vs Army Musou stage design.

Yeah, pretty much this.

I don't know if this makes any sense at all, but the way I look at it is:

Legend Mode: A Fist of the North Star beat 'em up that happens to use the Musou engine.

Dream Mode: A Musou game with Fist of the North Star characters.

Pein

Banned
Bought it, went to a small local game store and they had it. Only one copy for each system and I snagged the 360 version since I wanna do some co op but one of my DS3 broke.

I tried target yesterday and they said they never heard of it. Anyway now its time to fuck some dudes up.

ign gave it a 5

TimeKillr

Pein said:
Bought it, went to a small local game store and they had it. Only one copy for each system and I snagged the 360 version since I wanna do some co op but one of my DS3 broke.

I tried target yesterday and they said they never heard of it. Anyway now its time to fuck some dudes up.

ign gave it a 5

No shit IGN gave it a 5.

They wouldn't know a good musou game if it bit them in the ass.

And yes, Legend mode is anything but a Musou game. People at work today were just screaming "DYNASTY WARRIORS" while all I could say was "look, do you see millions of chinese peons? Vast expanses of land? No? Then stfu."

Mr Spliff

I am totally blown away. I can't begin to say how many years I have waited and dreamt of something like this, finally a Hokuto no Ken game to play! I thought it was going to suck from the demo but thankfully I bought it anyways and it does not dissappoint. I hooked up a dvd player to my tv and I'm playing the game on the left side and have the orignal Japanese episodes playing on the right. I'm not that old, in my 30's, but man this game makes me feel excited like a kid again everytime I sit down to play.

Slightly off-topic, I have the complete series, both English and Japaense releases on DVD and the later stuff released in the 2000's, again, both NA and Japanese releases. It's the only collection I have ever sought out and maintained over the years.

EDIT: I even have the live action movie..............made myself watch it too......

matmanx1

My favorite move with Kenshiro so far is to use the taunt to gather as many goons around me as I can and then use that "soft rending flesh" signature move (or whatever it's called) to see how many I can make explode at the same time. So good!

matmanx1 said:
My favorite move with Kenshiro so far is to use the taunt to gather as many goons around me as I can and then use that "soft rending flesh" signature move (or whatever it's called) to see how many I can make explode at the same time. So good!

I do the same thing, but I find it more efficient using Awakening of the Senses (Seieiko) instead of Hokuto Softness Ripping Slash (Hokuto Juhazan). It is so satisfying to do Seieiko and go flying across the stage, then watch as the camera turns to see tons of mooks just fall from the sky and explode on impact ^__^.

Also, Ken's second Hyper Signature move, which is Hokuto Compassionate Flying Slash (Hokuto Ujomoshoha) iirc, has a large radius and gets instant kills on all mooks and sub-bosses.

Q8D3vil

i tried the japanese version a long time ago.
this game is fucking shit.

but i'm not a dynasty warrior fan in the first place.
i like hokuto and i loved the 2d fighting one.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Finally had the chance to play the demo yesterday. Not the most polished thing out there but it has a nice old-school feel to it plus it's FOTNS. Definitely will get it whenever Im not broke.

matmanx1

Finished up through Chapter 5 with Kenshiro. Game continues to get better as I unlock more abilities and get him powered up. Oh and I totally bought that $2.99 DLC of the original Ken's outfit off the PSN last night. I like that look so much better than the one he starts with in the game!

Pein

Banned
Beat chapter 4 yesterday, Jagi was a cakewalk but I was searching for the statues forever until I noticed that there was some walls that could be broken down. I felt like a idiot running around searching for so long.

Also played with mamiya and only thing to say is dat ass.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Finished Kenshiro's Legend Mode today. His last stage is ridiculous. You can rack up ridiculous skill points if you do all the Missions. Seriously.

Also, the final battle with Raoh pissed me off. The game bugged out and my Hokuto Ujomoshoha threw him outside the arena just as I was able to finish him, and he didn't reappear until it was too late and he recovered. And beat me.

Took me like four more tries after that. :lol KOEIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Xater said:
Ok I caved in and bought the game. I just could not resist Kenshiro. ATATATATATATATA!

Of course you did! It was a foregone conclusion because the game was already bought! :D
So, how are you enjoying it? So far, pure gameplay wise, Orochi Z and this are my favorite Musou games.

I haven't picked it up yet :( I have to wait for payday.. less than a week at least!

Jonesing to pop some heads though. In the meantime, checking out Hokuto no Gun's subs of Sakigake!! Otokojuku for extra manliness :lol

Xater

AdawgDaFAB said:
Of course you did! It was a foregone conclusion because the game was already bought! :D
So, how are you enjoying it? So far, pure gameplay wise, Orochi Z and this are my favorite Musou games.

I just played through the second mission of Kenshiros Legend Mode and it's pretty good. This mode feels way more than a normal beat'em than I expected. The storytelling is actually pretty good and actually superior to SB3. Gameplay wise I prefer the more fluent gamestyle of SB3 but the problem might also just be Kenshiro, because by all accounts he is pretty slow. Can't compar eit to Orochi Z but I enjoy it and I am kinda glad I did not just wait for Gundam Musou 3. I kinda hope though that they put this much effort into that as well.

BTW it looks like even here in Germany the game has a real low shipping number. Had to go through 3 shops and the Gamestop I went in only had one copy.

Xater said:
I just played through the second mission of Kenshiros Legend Mode and it's pretty good. This mode feels way more than a normal beat'em than I expected. The storytelling is actually pretty good and actually superior to SB3. Gameplay wise I prefer the more fluent gamestyle of SB3 but the problem might also just be Kenshiro, because by all accounts he is pretty slow. Can't compar eit to Orochi Z but I enjoy it and I am kinda glad I did not just wait for Gundam Musou 3. I kinda hope though that they put this much effort into that as well.

BTW it looks like even here in Germany the game has a real low shipping number. Had to go through 3 shops and the Gamestop I went in only had one copy.
Kenshiro is pretty substandard in comparison to Rei and Mamiya as their movesets are much better and it really shows in Dream Mode (Musou mode). Still, I find myself reciting every special move when after it's executed. :lol

ATATATATATA!

It's also fun giving Mamiya either the Shinken or Nanto Seiken skill set. Yoyos of exploding death. :D :D :D

Yeah, I grabbed it on Wednesday and the store had only received one copy for the PS3. No 360 version.

Game is still so, ATATATATATATATATATATA! Since playing my import copy, I forgot how much I enjoyed this game. But the music will always bugs the crap out of me.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
donkey show said:
Kenshiro is pretty substandard in comparison to Rei and Mamiya as their movesets are much better and it really shows in Dream Mode (Musou mode). Still, I find myself reciting every special move when after it's executed. :lol

Glad, I'm not the only one doing this.

"Hokuto Ganzan Ryozan Ha!"

Xater

donkey show said:

ATATATATATA!

It's also fun giving Mamiya either the Shinken or Nanto Seiken skill set. Yoyos of exploding death. :D :D :D

NERD!

I'll probably do that as well after some time.

I haven't seen this addressed in the thread or the... informative OP, but how much of the manga story does the game cover? The whole thing? I've only read up to where the Raijin Comics English translations ended in their colourized books.

I bought it today, but I don't really want the game to be my first experience with the remainder of the story, so I may hold off on playing it until I've been able to catch up.

Got the game today and played the first mission.

It's pretty fun. It's Very much like a modern day final Fight.

I also played a few minutes of Dream Mode. It seems really confusing. Does anybody have any tips? The map seems huge and it seems like there is no way I could possibly win with constantly re spawning enemies and them taking over bases.

Also, does anybody know what the deal with mission bonuses are? In the first level I completed every one that was presented to me, but when I completed the stage it said there were 5 others that I missed. How do I trigger them?

Also, WAY more violent than the demo. Which is good.

ThirstyFly said:
I haven't seen this addressed in the thread or the... informative OP, but how much of the manga story does the game cover? The whole thing? I've only read up to where the Raijin Comics English translations ended in their colourized books.

I bought it today, but I don't really want the game to be my first experience with the remainder of the story, so I may hold off on playing it until I've been able to catch up.
It goes up to the end of the Raoh Arc
after Toki dies.

ThirstyFly said:

For anyone who doesn't know, Hokuto no Ken / Fist of the North Star has a time skip in the middle of it.

The first half of the series, chapter 1-136 (Vol 16 chap 2), starts with Ken's story to save his kidnapped finance and soon expands to also focus on the Nanto Roku Seiken (the 6 top Nanto Seiken masters) and
Ken's 3 "brothers" who all competed over being the one true successor of Hokuto Shinken
. After all that is wrapped up (
following the final Raoh vs Ken fight
) there is a time skip and the second half of the manga, chapter 137-245 (vol 16 chap 3 to vol 27 chap 10), begins. The second half deals with the fall out of what happens to the world some 10 or so years after the events of the first half and
tells of Ken's new adventures

Ken's Rage goes up to the end of the first half of the manga.

AdawgDaFAB said:
For anyone who doesn't know, Hokuto no Ken / Fist of the North Star has a time skip in the middle of it.

{...}

Ken's Rage goes up to the end of the first half of the manga.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. Sounds like I have a bit of reading to do before a tackle the campaign. I'll stick to Dream Mode for now since I've only read the manga up to chapter 74.

*pours one out for Rajin Comics*

ThirstyFly said:
Thanks for the detailed breakdown. Sounds like I have a bit of reading to do before a tackle the campaign. I'll stick to Dream Mode for now since I've only read the manga up to chapter 74.

*pours one out for Rajin Comics*

You have read just a bit past the
first Raoh fight
right? If so then you can play up to Ken's chapter 7, Rei's chapter 5, Toki's chapter 1, and ... I'm not sure for Mamiya (I only played the first 2 or 3 stages of her Legend mode so far).

If you want to just do Dream mode then I recommend at least playing up to Ken's Legend chapter 4 so you can have Shin, Mamiya and Jagi to use in Dream mode + the ability to unlock Rei and Souther's Dream Modes as well (by beating Shin and then Rei's Dream Modes). That should provide you with some fun stuff to play until you can read more of the story.

AdawgDaFAB said:
You have read just a bit past the
first Raoh fight
right? If so then you can play up to Ken's chapter 7, Rei's chapter 5, Toki's chapter 1, and ... I'm not sure for Mamiya (I only played the first 2 or 3 stages of her Legend mode so far).

If you want to just do Dream mode then I recommend at least playing up to Ken's Legend chapter 4 so you can have Shin, Mamiya and Jagi to use in Dream mode + the ability to unlock Rei and Souther's Dream Modes as well (by beating Shin and then Rei's Dream Modes). That should provide you with some fun stuff to play until you can read more of the story.

Yup, that's as far as I've gotten. Thanks so much for outlining that for me, I'll follow your advice and play up to those points. I must have Jagi playable in Dream Mode!

I seem to be stuck in the part in chapter 4 where you need to find Jagi statues. There are 8 left, I don't see any, and I'm in a walled off area where you can break through a secret wall to get to another walled off area. Help.

ezekial45

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
I seem to be stuck in the part in chapter 4 where you need to find Jagi statues. There are 8 left, I don't see any, and I'm in a walled off area where you can break through a secret wall to get to another walled off area. Help.

Go back to the lone statue near the gate that was closed by the commander. the fake wall that leads to the rest is there.

Top Bottom