• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsnap

Ok, my wife's been talkin' about my back like crazy and I thought she was full of it. So I just snapped this picture and I was actually impressed. I've been dropping weight (well not "scale weight" and my back has been getting strong, but this kind of shocked me.

Forgive the hair, I'm a hairy beast. Next time I'll shave it ;)

535921_10200979482400237_993398470_n.jpg

Lol, thanks, I wish I was more knowledgeable though.

I just do 5/3/1 assistance is dave tate's periodization bible. My log can be found here. https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/WayneForsythe/?feed

Hell ya!

catmincer

So, I need to lose some weight and this seems like a great place to ask....

I am currently ~80KGs and want to get down to 60KGs the problem is, I can only realistically do cardio as I have arthritis in the joints of my arms so weights are a bit of a no go? Can anyone point me in the right direction for weight loss and toning without needing to do weights?

Also, a noob question but for weightloss are protein shakes a good option as a meal replacement or nah?

So, I need to lose some weight and this seems like a great place to ask....

I am currently ~80KGs and want to get down to 60KGs the problem is, I can only realistically do cardio as I have arthritis in the joints of my arms so weights are a bit of a no go? Can anyone point me in the right direction for weight loss and toning without needing to do weights?

Also, a noob question but for weightloss are protein shakes a good option as a meal replacement or nah?

Weight loss is almost entirely determined by diet. The goal should be to find healthy foods in the right quantity, not to replace meals. Don't know crap about arthritis so I can't say anything besides "cardio should be swimming or biking."

Szu

Since we might be returning to some back pics. I didn't take any from my latest progress shots, so I'll add some now.

I swear those red dots are bug bites, not bacne.

preqDKh.jpg

SA00qgj.jpg

Great pic, Shogun. You got a hell of lot of mass. And that's just the hair. The muscles are on a whole other level.

Cudder

Since we might be returning to some back pics. I didn't take any from my latest progress shots, so I'll add some now.

preqDKh.jpg

SA00qgj.jpg

Great pic, Shogun. You got a hell of lot of mass. And that's just the hair. The muscles are on a whole other level.

mirin hard

Korosenai

Question about sleep schedules and what not.

Does it matter what time you go to sleep at night or just how many hours you get?

I usually can't fall asleep until 12:00-1:00 a.m., but I get 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Is this ok?

I always wake up feeling refreshed after a hard workout the day prior, just wondering if it would benefit me more going to sleep earlier around 10:30 or 11:00.

Cudder

Does it matter what time you go to sleep at night or just how many hours you get?

I usually can't fall asleep until 12:00-1:00 a.m., but I get 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Is this ok?

I always wake up feeling refreshed after a hard workout the day prior, just wondering if it would benefit me more going to sleep earlier around 10:30 or 11:00.

always wondered this myself, but haven't found a solid answer. i even sent the question in to Elliot Hulse but he didnt answer it lol :(

Szu

Rest never hurts, but if you already used to a certain schedule then you should stick with whatever makes you feel comfortable.

I think you're getting a good amount of sleep.

Which reminds me? Why the hell am I still up?

balddemon

Banned
edit: ^lol same, I should have gone to bed right after the nat'l champ game was over...

I feel better when I go to sleep between 10 and 11 and get up at a decent hour (6-8) than when I go to sleep at 12, 1, 2, etc and get up whenever I wake up. no brainer for me, but I just don't go to bed that early most of the time.

I've always been under the impression that sleep before midnight is better than sleep after midnight.

entremet

Sleep is very personal. Some people do well on 6-7, others on 9-10. I'm on that latter end. :(

More sleep is always been for recovery.

I havent been able to workout for the past three months, and for the last 1,5 month i've been in the middle of renovating a new place to live (which is plenty of workout in itself :lol ), but the upside of it is that i've finally been able to kick my soda addiction due to the lack of a refridgerator. :lol

Raxus

I need help improving my appetite. I always have been a light eater who can constantly eat throughout the day. I can manage my weight just fine but gaining is a bitch. What are the best meals/ways to eat more?

So...nobody is gonna answer my question.

That's cool...I guess. :(

Szu

Pizza, fried chicken, muffins, pork fried rice, burritos, bacon & eggs & cheese sandwiches, shepherd's pie, Fettucine Alfredo, chicken pad thai, and cheesecake a la mode with cookies'n cream ice cream.

This isn't really what you should eat. It's really what I wish I could eat.

Basically, I'm living vicariously through you.

Ecy stack is a no no. Either ECA or yohimbine caffeine.

I've taken ephedrine before. The stuff is negligible. In Regards to fat loss, increases your metabolism by like 5% good appetite suppressant might amp you up, I have a stim tolerance.

Yohimbine is a vasodilator appetite suppressant and is used when you're <12% bf to rid yourself of your stubborn fat areas. Should be taken when your insulin is low so its ideal for fasted training also it has synergistic properties with caffeine. I just got a thing of primaforce yohimbine hcl that I'll start next week so I read up a good deal on it. I think the dosage is .2mg/kg bodyweight. But you start low to assess your tolerance. I hope its effective.

I don't really need any appetite suppressants, my will is good and coffee usually does the trick anyway :)

I'm probably around 18% if I had to guess (I really have no idea though, just that' it's too much), what would you suggest? Or should I even bother with anything at this point and just do more treadmill walking and be patient?

Jesus Christ Szu, you're fucking huge!

I hit 50 lbs 3x5 on the Bicep Curls today. Felt accomplished but my arms were dead after the last set lol.

grumble

Hey, you've got a lot of good options. first, add calories to every meal you eat. Drizzle your salad with extra dressing. Add another scoop of potatoes to your meal. Double your meat when you buy something at a chain. That's step one.

Step two is to find ways to replace your low calorie snacks with high calories ones. Eat trail mix by the bag. Have it next to your computer and on your desk 24/7.

Step three is to look into liquid calories. Even when full, you can usually cram some milk down.

Step four is to realize that food isn't to be eaten only when hungry. You eat when you aren't hungry too. You need to push your limits, and after a couple of weeks max you'll find that a quantity that seemed too much before is easy. Some people find that the food is harder than the gym, but you have to work it it like a job. I hope you're eating while reading this.

CrankyJay

Banned
I need help improving my appetite. I always have been a light eater who can constantly eat throughout the day. I can manage my weight just fine but gaining is a bitch. What are the best meals/ways to eat more?

Just work out and you'll be hungry and eat more calorie dense foods.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Loving your arms Szu, Hoss Level 20+ for those. Looks awesome.

SeanR1221

2 scoops whey, melt a quest bar, throw in a banana, ice and whole milk. Easily get a ton of calories and protein.

God I wish I had this "problem" ;)

gdt

Alright I'm back. I stopped working out for like 6 months and put a lot of shit back on and my eating went to hell.

Here we go again...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shogun you look amazing man. If you were bent forward I would have thought you were Bane

Missed this before, that's a hell of a compliment, thanks man.

Just give it a shot man, I remember you talking about Powerlifting meets for a while now. Even if you don't place highly it's good for the experience and nobody starts out at the top. You'll probably even link up with some people at the competition that can help push you in areas you're lacking in.

I still intend to. Gonna definitely wait until my probationary year is over though so I can request the time off to do it.

preqDKh.jpg

SA00qgj.jpg

Yeah, shit's gonna go the next two days (my weekend) wife is gonna bring out the blow torch. Thank, yeah, I didn't realize how massive my back was until I took that pic, my lats/upper back/traps and shoulders really have improved since the last time I "looked." *team back highfive*
Could someone explain carb back loading to me or point me to a good source to read about it?

Basically keep carbs low on non workout days, go nuts after working out. It's a bit "more" than that, but here's the site, it's also expensive so I chose not to bother. The idea is just to keep carbs low until after you work out.

http://carbbackloading.com/
Damn, Alien vs. Szu, back monsters pt 5.

Be careful what you wish for! ;)

Big back and those arms are just ginormous. Fantastico.

-----

After reading more about protein synthesis and whatnot, I feel like I want to try something new with 5/3/1. I know that AlienShogun does the Periodization Bible version and looking more into it, I want to try it as well. Any suggestions as far as a routine goes?

With today being shoulders...

5/3/1 OHP
Shoulders or Chest: DB Press
Lats or Upper back: Face Pulls
Triceps: Tricep Pulldowns

Then do some bicep work.

Thoughts?

abuC

I don't want to jump the gun, but I woke up today with almost no shoulder pain. I'm trying to remain calm but this is how I'm feeling -

tumblr_maefpk2jpj1qfqzy6o1_500.gif

Last week when I did squats it left my acromion sore/painful to the touch for a full week, now that the pain has started to subside the dull ache in my shoulder and general pain seems to be gone. I have been going really light on shoulders for 3 months now, and haven't been able to do boxing because of it, so feeling almost zero pain this morning has me happy as hell.

Szu

Big back and those arms are just ginormous. Fantastico.

-----

After reading more about protein synthesis and whatnot, I feel like I want to try something new with 5/3/1. I know that AlienShogun does the Periodization Bible version and looking more into it, I want to try it as well. Any suggestions as far as a routine goes?

With today being shoulders...

5/3/1 OHP
Shoulders or Chest: DB Press
Lats or Upper back: Face Pulls
Triceps: Tricep Pulldowns

Then do some bicep work.

Thoughts?

Thanks, man.

Hmmm, my personal preference is to save the supplemental bicep work for chest days. I like to include more triceps work with my shoulders.

Thanks, man.

Hmmm, my personal preference is to save the supplemental bicep work for chest days. I like to include more triceps work with my shoulders.

I've always done my tricep work on chest days but sure, I be down to try something new.

Periodization Bible Examples

Day 1
Overhead Press - 5/3/1
Shoulders or Chest - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
Lats or Upper Back - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T - bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)
Triceps - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Triceps Pushdowns or Triceps Extensions)

Day 2
Deadlift - 5/3/1
Hamstrings - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Leg Curls, Glute - Ham Raise)
Quads - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Leg Press, Lunges, Hack Squats)
Abs - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Sit - ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

Day 3
Bench Press - 5/3/1
Shoulders or Chest - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
Lats or Upper Back - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T - bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)

Day 4
Squat - 5/3/1
Low Back - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Reverse Hyper, Back Raise, Good Morning)
Abs - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Sit - ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

Powercast

I've always done my tricep work on chest days but sure, I be down to try something new.

Periodization Bible Examples

Day 1
Overhead Press - 5/3/1

Day 2
Deadlift - 5/3/1
Hamstrings - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Leg Curls, Glute - Ham Raise)

Day 3
Bench Press - 5/3/1

Day 4
Squat - 5/3/1
Low Back - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Reverse Hyper, Back Raise, Good Morning)
I like this template a lot, everything gets hit 2x

Szu

Same here, but I decided to switch it up as a way to confuse my muscles.

I used to do biceps with my back days, but now I don't do any arm work at all now on back days. I even avoid doing chin-ups. I only do pull-ups before and after my back routine.

I usually do chest the day after back, so kinda keep my biceps somewhat fresh.

Give arms their own day.

I've always been weary to do that just because I feel like it is a "waste" even though I know that is isn't. Depending on my goals, it can be very beneficial.

In any case, I'm starting to mix and match too much. I always have this problem of wanting everything and doing too much. Right now, I'm trying to lean out so I am gonna focus on that. Just gonna lift heavy and hard and keep things simple. Compound lifts then go from there.

Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom