• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szu

So I'm going to start Kudo soon, some kind of Japanese MMA. Now I'm a newb when it comes to fighting, but my biggest concern is my cardiovascular fitness. I want to build muscle and strength, but I also need to dramatically improve my stamina. I do have asthma although I don't want to use that as an excuse. So I ask... what is the best way to improve my fitness? While I can do a decent number of chinups, pushups and squats, I really need to go the distance so I don't gas out half way through the class lol. Is there some kind of routine that I can follow to periodically build up my stamina?

I find BW workouts are primarily a good way to for MMA training. I know that strength weight training and cardio are also important for the MMA practitioner. However, for most martial arts, core strength is IMO the most important focus of most of your training.

This guy posted a great list of BW workouts and many of them hit the core muscles.

$500? that's crazy. That's more than I pay for my legit pharmacy testosterone. WTF was he doing?

I'll ask him the specifics when I see him. It was about 8 months ago and I can't remember what specifically his cocktail consisted of. It was full needle though, I think twice a day. No pills.

agrajag

Banned
$500? that's crazy. That's more than I pay for my legit pharmacy testosterone. WTF was he doing?

A gut at my work that was obese got prescribed estrogen suppressants or something like that to lose weight. He sold it to thus other guy at work, ans within a month he turned into the fucking hulk. When he stopped using, he deflated really quickly, but he'a still really strong.

blackflag

Wouldn't it make sense that the illegal stuff is more expansive than the one sold in pharmacy?

That's not how it works though. From a friend I could get 10 10ml vials of testosterone for 180 dollars. That's a crap ton and would last like a year or more.

but I pay 600 every 10 weeks for 2 10ml vials, HCG, and anastrazole. I think the testosterone vials are like 100 dollars each.

But if your insurance covered it, it would no doubt be a lot less.

That's not how it works though. From a friend I could get 10 10ml vials of testosterone for 180 dollars. That's a crap ton and would last like a year or more.

but I pay 600 every 10 weeks for 2 10ml vials, HCG, and anastrazole. I think the testosterone vials are like 100 dollars each.

But if your insurance covered it, it would no doubt be a lot less.

haha yeah there is no way this guys insurance is springing for his back alley behind the 7-11 transaction.

ToxicAdam

I'll ask him the specifics when I see him. It was about 8 months ago and I can't remember what specifically his cocktail consisted of. It was full needle though, I think twice a day. No pills.

Twice a day, for three months straight? That seems crazy.

I had a best friend that was into bodybuilding. He was doing primo. Which is much cheaper and you only had to take bi-weekly doses for 8-10 weeks. I think he paid around 300 bucks per cycle.

blackflag

haha yeah there is no way this guys insurance is springing for his back alley behind the 7-11 transaction.

I know but I'm just saying he got ripped off. I've never bought any and never done any other that what I have a prescription for but I know how and where to get them and they aren't that expensive.

heyf00L

That's the great thing about 5/3/1. My goal now is more aesthetics but I want to keep getting stronger so I do something like this.

Chest day:

5/3/1 bench
4 sets 10-15 rep incline db press
3 sets hammer str press 8-12 reps
4 sets cable or db flyes 12-15 reps
4 sets lying tricep ext 8-12 reps
4 sets Hammer str dips 8-12 reps
4 sets tricep pushdown 10-15 reps

This sounds like overdoing it to me. Or maybe I underdo it.

Szu

Alright guys who here has used Roids?

I haven't ever done it mostly because I'm cheap and it seems like a hassle(I can't even stand doing creatine). That said though a good friend of mine did a 3 month cycle and it blew my mind how quickly his strength started spiking. I think only 2 months into it he started eclipsing me on most lifts outside of squats. Stuff was crazy but also really expensive. I think his monthly total was a little over $500.

I haven't, but I know quite a few guys who have been on the juice. I do recall one incident when one guy was trying to casually get me introduced to it.

He was a big, young guy. He focused on compound lifting and hardly ever did any cardio. He looked like he weighed up to 220-230. I don't remember all his lifts, but I think he benched over 315#, squatted over 400#, and deadlifted over 450#.

We were never very social, but one day he strikes up a conversation with me. He wanted my opinion on DL's. He said that they were hurting his back and it I saw any benefit to them. I just mention that he is lifting a lot of weight, but I figured he would be used to it. He says OK, he'll think about it.

I believe the DL question was just a hook to start the conversation because of his next question. He asked me if he's heard of this guy at so-and-so-place that was selling some stuff. He tells me that he brought something a while back that gave him a great boost, but lately it's not as effective.

The conversation tapered off from there because I didn't really provide much feedback at that point.

He did mention that he paid about $150 for the stuff. Now, I don't know what he brought if it was anything, but I think he was potentially trying to get another customer for his dealer.

As for the $500 monthly cost, I don't know that amount but I wouldn't dismiss it.

Imm0rt4l

I can do those numbers and I'm 195.

I haven't ever done it mostly because I'm cheap and it seems like a hassle(I can't even stand doing creatine). That said though a good friend of mine did a 3 month cycle and it blew my mind how quickly his strength started spiking. I think only 2 months into it he started eclipsing me on most lifts outside of squats. Stuff was crazy but also really expensive. I think his monthly total was a little over $500.

Creatine. Not even once.

On a serious note, I've never done them. I don't have so much a holier than thou perception of aas users. I just don't think its for me. I want to push myself as far as I can naturally, I don't want some drug to undermine my abilities. I've seen guys smaller than me and look less impressive than me who had done a few cycles and all I can think is that they squandered a lot of potential. Imo ideally someone who uses shouldn't do so until they can't go any further. This is why I hate the cult following of zyzz. The guy no doubt looked impressive and had great insertion genetics/aesthetics. But the guy could have achieved a lot of that naturally. Considering all the drugs he was on he was weak as fuck honestly. He didnt truly look big till the last year or so of his life, so why not just do the most of the work without the illegal supplementation? He wanted a shortcut, he got one and it lead to his death.

Also it would really suck to come off of drugs only to see your gains diminish because your body can't sustain it naturally, fuck that and fuck a hormone dependency(barring that I dont one day have to do TRT or something). I ain't bout dat life man.

Yup this is my current routine as well. I jumped the cardio up just a bit but its a great routine.

I haven't, but I know quite a few guys who have been on the juice. I do recall one incident when one guy was trying to casually get me introduced to it.

He was a big, young guy. He focused on compound lifting and hardly ever did any cardio. He looked like he weighed up to 220-230. I don't remember all his lifts, but I think he benched over 315#, squatted over 400#, and deadlifted over 450#.

We were never very social, but one day he strikes up a conversation with me. He wanted my opinion on DL's. He said that they were hurting his back and it I saw any benefit to them. I just mention that he is lifting a lot of weight, but I figured he would be used to it. He says OK, he'll think about it.

I believe the DL question was just a hook to start the conversation because of his next question. He asked me if he's heard of this guy at so-and-so-place that was selling some stuff. He tells me that he brought something a while back that gave him a great boost, but lately it's not as effective.

The conversation tapered off from there because I didn't really provide much feedback at that point.

He did mention that he paid about $150 for the stuff. Now, I don't know what he brought if it was anything, but I think he was potentially trying to get another customer for his dealer.

As for the $500 monthly cost, I don't know that amount but I wouldn't dismiss it.

Sounds like he was the guy peddling it. I haven't had anyone approach me at the gym and try and push it but when I used to live in Brooklyn there was this high school kid on something nutty because only 17 years old and he was almost putting up 340. He was a acne factory though.

I can Do those numbers and I'm 195.

Creatine. Not even once.

On a serious note, I've never done them. I don't have so much a holier than thou perception of aas users. I just don't think its for me. I want to push myself as far as I can naturally, I don't want some drug to undermine my abilities. I've seen guys smaller than me and look less impressive than me who had done a few cycles and all I can think is that they squandered a lot of potential. Imo ideally someone who uses shouldn't do so until they can't go any further. This is why I hate the cult following of zyzz. The guy no doubt looked impressive and had great insertion genetics/aesthetics. But the guy could have achieved a lot of that naturally. Considering all the drugs he was on he was weak as fuck honestly. He didnt truly look big till the last year or so of his life, so why not just do the most of the work without the illegal supplementation? He wanted a shortcut, he for one and it lead to his death. Also it would really suck to come off of drugs only to see your gains diminish because your body can't sustain it naturally, fuck that and fuck a hormone dependency(barring that I dontbone day have to do TRT or something). I ain't bout day life man.

Yeah this is my basic philosophy as well. Plus like I said being cheap probably helps that outlook. I also have never done any creatine ha even though I have been meaning to one of these days.

heyf00L

Yeah I dunno it works for me. and I recover fine from it.

I mean it is 2 body parts, 4 exercises for chest and 3 for triceps.

Once a week?

I'm not body building, though, so that's a big difference. I ask though because I used to do it like that (2 body parts and ~3 exercises each), and I didn't see much benefit. Now I do more body parts per day with fewer exercises each but I do it 1.5 - 2 times per week.

blackflag

Once a week?

I'm not body building, though, so that's a big difference. I ask though because I used to do it like that (2 body parts and ~3 exercises each), and I didn't see much benefit. Now I do more body parts per day with fewer exercises each but I do it 1.5 - 2 times per week.

yeah I do the 4 day 5/3/1 and then add on the exercises to those.

Something like this.

Sunday
Shoulders/biceps

Monday
Back

Thursday
Chest/triceps

Friday
Legs

blackflag

I can Do those numbers and I'm 195.

Creatine. Not even once.

On a serious note, I've never done them. I don't have so much a holier than thou perception of aas users. I just don't think its for me. I want to push myself as far as I can naturally, I don't want some drug to undermine my abilities. I've seen guys smaller than me and look less impressive than me who had done a few cycles and all I can think is that they squandered a lot of potential. Imo ideally someone who uses shouldn't do so until they can't go any further. This is why I hate the cult following of zyzz. The guy no doubt looked impressive and had great insertion genetics/aesthetics. But the guy could have achieved a lot of that naturally. Considering all the drugs he was on he was weak as fuck honestly. He didnt truly look big till the last year or so of his life, so why not just do the most of the work without the illegal supplementation? He wanted a shortcut, he for one and it lead to his death. Also it would really suck to come off of drugs only to see your gains diminish because your body can't sustain it naturally, fuck that and fuck a hormone dependency(barring that I dontbone day have to do TRT or something). I ain't bout day life man.

I'm not against it, I just haven't done it. Maybe I will some day, maybe I won't. I'm on TRT for life though because of those other issues so I couldn't be considered "natural" anyways I guess but that's only been for like the last 13 weeks.

Aight, I'm gonna keep it straight gangsta.

You're really fucking big. Without knowing your body fat percentage I'm guessing a lot of that is fat. Which puts you at a significant disadvantage in terms of what you can do that is both effective and safe.

So, if you're really fat, you're gonna wanna lose weight first. PSMF, carb cutting, atkins, etc. are all good ideas. However, to be frank, you probably got this way just by eating too much too often and not moving. So, just simply changing your diet to not being shitty will help. We don't need to tell you what to eat and what not to eat, you already know that.

Now, you may need to speak with a doctor or a dietician. Being that big, there's a chance you may have an issue with Type 2 or leaning towards it. Seriously, go talk to somebody. Find out where you are.

As for the exercise you should do while losing weight, I recommend walking. You're going to progress in that just like anything else. Set a distance. Next time, go further or go faster. Progress. Eventually, you'll begin to run, it'll happen kinda naturally. Once you get some solid mobility, it should be time to step into an LP.

Maybe somebody else can tell you something, that's just my two cents.

Super helpful info, thanks - my plan in this case would be to shed a big amount of weight (most of it is fat, I have muscle but it's not anything to write home about) and get to feeling better and more mobile. Then work towards getting, well, healthier and more active. This might not even be the right thread for me at the moment since I'll be focusing on weight loss. Thanks again for your help (and the others too) as this is something I'm really ready to do.

Regarding drugs, I feel that at my size, I am still extremely weak and that there is a lot more for me left, strength-wise. I feel like I can achieve my goals without turning to drugs. I already know that with my personality/mindset, I can get addicted rather quickly and just would not want to become even more OCD when it comes to lifting. Plus, I want to push myself as far as I can get naturally.

Also, the money. I'm a cheap ass and do not want to spend cash at all haha.

Imm0rt4l

I'm not against it, I just haven't done it. Maybe I will some day, maybe I won't. I'm on TRT for life though because of those other issues so I couldn't be considered "natural" anyways I guess but that's only been for like the last 13 weeks.
Yea I hear you and I agree. I just feel anyone who does it should go as far as they can prior. I'm only human and the thought of what I'd look like after some tren/test has definitely crossed my mind. While diminishing returns has kicked in I like to think I can go a bit further Even if it is a little naivety on my part. I subscribe to the same ideas as icecreamfitness has on steroids and he's a user, same with guys like Marc lobliner both of whom I respect. I'm not ready for that next level, I might never be, but who knows.

Its funny how what's considered natural is a slippery slope. My friend has a thyroid condition so hes prescribed T4, so I guess he's not natural either.

blackflag

Yea I hear you and I agree. I just feel anyone who does it should go as far as they can prior. I'm only human and the thought of what I'd look like after some tren/test has definitely crossed my mind. While diminishing returns has kicked in I like to think I can go a bit further Even if it is a little naivety on my part. I subscribe to the same ideas as icecreamfitness has on steroids and he's a user, same with guys like Marc lobliner both of whom I respect. I'm not ready for that next level, I might never be, but who knows.

Its funny how what's considered natural is a slippery slope. My friend has a thyroid condition so hes prescribed T4, so I guess he's not natural either.

He'd still be considered natural. I just know that my prescription sometimes puts me over the high normal range so who knows.

Give guy at gym a spot
Hear death metal blasting from his earphones
Get him to give me a spot
Wonder if he recognizes Zelda music

Gotta love being a gamer-lifter.

So to shift the juice topic a little bit - fat burning supplements. ECY stacks. Thermogenics. anyone here dabbled in the world of butter-blasting supps? What works best and how do you maximize the results? Getting kinda tired of my lifts plummeting faster than my fat loss. I wanna get this crap over with so I can start bulking again and do a better job of it this time.

Log4Girlz

lol. everyone is gonna claim natural because drugs are taboo. You can lose sponsorships (read money), etc.

I'm pretty pro drugs when used property, although I don't don't anything myself. But the PR campaign against steroids is ridiculous.

Unfortunately, when bodybuilding judges started giving mass monster top prizes, bodybuilding was fucked.

But if you want to look at natural look at dudes like Steve Reeves, before the advent of steroids.

tumblr_m13tgdj8Cx1qi6obqo3_400.jpg

I read someplace that he took a very early drug. I don't know. But his physique is possible today all natural. This is a great look IMO. I love the old bodybuilder physiques. Even monsters like Arnold, who took drugs, still look statuesque vs. what is considered the height of bodybuilding today. Ronnie Coleman like builds are absolutely disgusting.

I read someplace that he took a very early drug. I don't know. But his physique is possible today all natural. This is a great look IMO. I love the old bodybuilder physiques. Even monsters like Arnold, who took drugs, still look statuesque vs. what is considered the height of bodybuilding today. Ronnie Coleman like builds are absolutely disgusting.

I agree. For me Arnold is the best possible look in every way and its before people were going really crazy with steroids and hormones to the point of looking like the Locust from GOW.

Imm0rt4l

Give guy at gym a spot
Hear death metal blasting from his earphones
Get him to give me a spot
Wonder if he recognizes Zelda music

Gotta love being a gamer-lifter.

So to shift the juice topic a little bit - fat burning supplements. ECY stacks. Thermogenics. anyone here dabbled in the world of butter-blasting supps? What works best and how do you maximize the results? Getting kinda tired of my lifts plummeting faster than my fat loss. I wanna get this crap over with so I can start bulking again and do a better job of it this time.
Ecy stack is a no no. Either ECA or yohimbine caffeine.

I've taken ephedrine before. The stuff is negligible. In Regards to fat loss, increases your metabolism by like 5% good appetite suppressant might amp you up, I have a stim tolerance.

Yohimbine is a vasodilator appetite suppressant and is used when you're <12% bf to rid yourself of your stubborn fat areas. Should be taken when your insulin is low so its ideal for fasted training also it has synergistic properties with caffeine. I just got a thing of primaforce yohimbine hcl that I'll start next week so I read up a good deal on it. I think the dosage is .2mg/kg bodyweight. But you start low to assess your tolerance. I hope its effective.

entremet

Regarding drugs, I feel that at my size, I am still extremely weak and that there is a lot more for me left, strength-wise. I feel like I can achieve my goals without turning to drugs. I already know that with my personality/mindset, I can get addicted rather quickly and just would not want to become even more OCD when it comes to lifting. Plus, I want to push myself as far as I can get naturally.

Also, the money. I'm a cheap ass and do not want to spend cash at all haha.

Same; I'm too cheap and I don't want to compete in bodybuilding or powerlifting. I do this for health and cause it's fun.

My goals aren't that serious to require drugs.

blackflag

I agree. For me Arnold is the best possible look in every way and its before people were going really crazy with steroids and hormones to the point of looking like the Locust from GOW.

For sure. Reeves, Arnold, Sergio Olivia, Frank Zane, those were awesome physiques. No bloated mess of a gut from too much insulin.

I like 531 but I don't think this template is that great for nattys, since protein synthesis only lasts 24-36 hours after training it would be better to do a 531 template where you train everything 2x week.

Would love to read more about protein synthesis and the benefits for working out something 2x a week if you have any articles available.

blackflag

Would love to read more about protein synthesis and the benefits for working out something 2x a week if you have any articles available.

I think the best thing is actually Layne Norton's podcast. Then you don't even have to get your read on.

Muscle College Radio. I believe the first episode is all about this and the latest one had some information as well.

He has his PHD and did his thesis on muscle protein synthesis

grumble

I like 531 but I don't think this template is that great for nattys, since protein synthesis only lasts 24-36 hours after training it would be better to do a 531 template where you train everything 2x week.

Sure, but 5/3/1 works for different reasons.

1. The focus on compound lifts combined with assistance work means a lot of muscle gets hit two or more times a week. Squats and deadlifts both hit the legs, abs and lower back. Bench and press both hit the triceps. Etc, etc. It ends up being surprisingly well rounded.

2. 5/3/1 is really intended for a mid-late intermediate or early advanced lifter. It's a monthly progression routine. If you haven't exhausted your linear progress, your weekly progress or even your bi-weekly progress, you often shouldn't be on 5/3/1. For those who are a good fit, their systemic recovery from the lifts can crush your nervous system and your body overall and you need more recovery. This is fixed by doing less of the primary lift at high weight and more of the assistance, and having weeks of low volume and recovery built in.

3. Everything I've read has shown an elevated protein synthesis of at least two days, possibly three with a little tailing. Where did you read 24-36 hours?

Powercast

Sure, but 5/3/1 works for different reasons.

1. The focus on compound lifts combined with assistance work means a lot of muscle gets hit two or more times a week. Squats and deadlifts both hit the legs, abs and lower back. Bench and press both hit the triceps. Etc, etc. It ends up being surprisingly well rounded.

2. 5/3/1 is really intended for a mid-late intermediate or early advanced lifter. It's a monthly progression routine. If you haven't exhausted your linear progress, your weekly progress or even your bi-weekly progress, you often shouldn't be on 5/3/1. For those who are a good fit, their systemic recovery from the lifts can crush your nervous system and your body overall and you need more recovery. This is fixed by doing less of the primary lift at high weight and more of the assistance, and having weeks of low volume and recovery built in.

3. Everything I've read has shown an elevated protein synthesis of at least two days, possibly three with a little tailing. Where did you read 24-36 hours?

I agree with everything you said, but I was just talking about 531 assistance work for BB purposes.
Regarding protein synthesis, there's a couple a studies like http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8563679

agrajag

Banned

27.JPG

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I like the cut of your jib, shogun.

Great write up shogun.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked the post. I'll probably repost it from time to time.

My main goal has become looks vs strength, but I'm still sticking with 5/3/1 to maintain and build strength because I see that as important even to those goals. I suppose his still follows Shoun's logic, albeit in a roundabout way.

I was going to post about the bodybuilding template, but you're already on it. ;)

Never.

Nice post, thanks for the write up. I agree, some structured evaluation of your routine is a great idea!

I do think that people can have more than one goal; a lack of focus definitely ruins routines, but the complete elimination of every non-driver of primary goal progress might leave people a little bummed. A great example would be that if someone wants to get stronger, doing a LITTLE extra arm work to look good with a tshirt on probably won't kill their progress and allows them to achieve a secondary goal. If someone wants to be a better runner, adding in the bench press because they want to look good too might be an acceptable compromise.

In general though, I'm with you. Most routines don't have anough planning, focus and structure and I'm going to review my routine with your principles today.

First, thanks. Now that that's out of the way. The point of this is to maximize your main goal. If your main goal is running, you should be doing "runner things" the minute you step into the gym to work on your arms you're establishing another goal in the realm of body building. My point is to focus on what your goal is and to help achieve it. It's the whole you can't serve two masters thing or the jack of all trades is master of none. If you want to push 1 goal and really achieve it, you gotta "lock onto that goal." Can you be a good runner and a body builder? Sure why not, but you'll never be a great runner AND a great body builder. But that may not be "your goal" again, this post was/is more meant for those focusing one a specific goal.

Furthermore, this is also why I posted about picking the right exercises with multiple carryover. Anyone who looks at my log will see I do a lot of high rep stuff involving back and I even do bicep curls. To anyone else this will look like bodybuilding even though everyone knows my main goal is strength, but I have a specific reason to do it.

1. High volume back, this is to offset the heavy/high volume pressing I do. This keeps my shoulders healthy. Also it helps me build a massive back that makes benching better and prepares my back for that impending 600lb pull I'm going to be getting this year.. It also looks fucking sexy. BAM! best bang for the buck.

2. Bicep curls. I do these supersetted on my tricep work because its a time saver no brainer, it maximizes pump and most importantly it strengthens my bicep and tendons/ligaments so my shit doesn't snap when I pull heavy deads!. It also keeps my bicep on par with my tricep allowing for maximum growth/development.

See, there IS cross over, but the point is there has to be a specific reason to do it. And for everything I do there's a very good reason to do it and it ALL benefits my main lifts/goals (strength). Everything else is a bonus. Maximize dat training economy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ok, my wife's been talkin' about my back like crazy and I thought she was full of it. So I just snapped this picture and I was actually impressed. I've been dropping weight (well not "scale weight" and my back has been getting strong, but this kind of shocked me.

Forgive the hair, I'm a hairy beast. Next time I'll shave it ;)

535921_10200979482400237_993398470_n.jpg

I wish Shogun was my coach.

Lol, thanks, I wish I was more knowledgeable though.

That's awesome!
Let me know in the fitness thread what your gym routine is.

I just do 5/3/1 assistance is dave tate's periodization bible. My log can be found here. https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/WayneForsythe/?feed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom