• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sallokin

Anyone have an opinion on Subway's egg white sandwiches? I tend to go crazy and get a foot long double egg white for lunch some days and I'm curious if it's just garbage food. I'm a non-meat eater, so any way to get easy protein is a plus for me.

Anyone have an opinion on Subway's egg white sandwiches? I tend to go crazy and get a foot long double egg white for lunch some days and I'm curious if it's just garbage food. I'm a non-meat eater, so any way to get easy protein is a plus for me.

Isn't there a veggie patty variant?
That'll probably have more protein in it.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-frequency-for-mass-gains.html

Also Alan Aragon has several posts regarding training frequency on the bb forums but I can't seem to track them.

But yeah training everything 2-3x week is pretty much optimal for a natural lifter.

Cool thanks.

Interesting stuff. Maybe that is why the 3 month BBB challenge worked out so great for me as did the 4 week chest specialization program. Really focus on one body part and go to town. I think after this cut, I want to go crazy on back and then legs.

Log4Girlz

Ok, my wife's been talkin' about my back like crazy and I thought she was full of it. So I just snapped this picture and I was actually impressed. I've been dropping weight (well not "scale weight" and my back has been getting strong, but this kind of shocked me.

Forgive the hair, I'm a hairy beast. Next time I'll shave it ;)

535921_10200979482400237_993398470_n.jpg

Lol, thanks, I wish I was more knowledgeable though.

I just do 5/3/1 assistance is dave tate's periodization bible. My log can be found here. https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/WayneForsythe/?feed

Damn dog you're huge.

cryptic

Damn Shogun. Where are your lifts at?

Squat Day

It felt pretty cool to be squatting all the way down and having some high school kids stopping to watch.
I've been plateauing lately and I think I'm just going to work on form for my lifts with lower weights.
I'm already pulling 275 double overhand on deads for 3, and I think I'll keep with that until I'm pulling my max 365 plus double overhand. Then I might switch back to mixed for a one rep max but not sure.
Added in Pendlay rows and man, i can barely pull 145x5x3, hopefully I found a point of slack that when fixed, will help all my lifts.

Fit gaf do any of u guys know of or use any type fitness apps on iOS? I'm basically looking for a calendar type app where I can put in my daily routines and maybe even let me play my music playlist (similar to my run keeper).

Log4Girlz

So I was looking up Sergio Oliva. Yep, he truly was probably the greatest massive physique of all. And he's a fellow Cuban! Anyway, from his Wiki (didn't realize he had passed away)

Distinctions
During his career he won 20 1st place Bodybuilding titles
The first non-white athlete to win Mr. America, Mr. World, Mr. International, Mr. Universe, Mr. Olympia.
The second bodybuilder to win the Mr. Olympia competition.
The only bodybuilder to ever win the Mr Olympia contest unopposed in 1968, a Guinness World Record that still stands to this day.
The only bodybuilder to defeat Arnold Schwarzenegger in a Mr. Olympia competition.
The smallest waist measurement of any Mr Olympia champion in history at 27inches at a bodyweight over 235lbs.
The only Mr Olympia winner whose thighs measured larger than their waist measurement. 32inch thighs and 27-28inch waist.
He maintained a 30inch differential between his waist and chest measurements throughout his entire career, his chest was over 58inches.
With his extremely massive measurements and unusually small waist Segio Oliva is considered to be the most genetically gifted bodybuilder of all time.

Holy shit at that waist measurement.

blackflag

So I was looking up Sergio Oliva. Yep, he truly was probably the greatest massive physique of all. And he's a fellow Cuban! Anyway, from his Wiki (didn't realize he had passed away)

Distinctions
During his career he won 20 1st place Bodybuilding titles
The first non-white athlete to win Mr. America, Mr. World, Mr. International, Mr. Universe, Mr. Olympia.
The second bodybuilder to win the Mr. Olympia competition.
The only bodybuilder to ever win the Mr Olympia contest unopposed in 1968, a Guinness World Record that still stands to this day.
The only bodybuilder to defeat Arnold Schwarzenegger in a Mr. Olympia competition.
The smallest waist measurement of any Mr Olympia champion in history at 27inches at a bodyweight over 235lbs.
The only Mr Olympia winner whose thighs measured larger than their waist measurement. 32inch thighs and 27-28inch waist.
He maintained a 30inch differential between his waist and chest measurements throughout his entire career, his chest was over 58inches.
With his extremely massive measurements and unusually small waist Segio Oliva is considered to be the most genetically gifted bodybuilder of all time.

Holy shit at that waist measurement.

Yeah he's my favorite. He stayed in really good shape and just died recently.

Crazy thing he first won the Olympia in 1967 and placed in the top 10 in 1984 and 1985. Crazy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
dat upper back looks sick

Just a giant spread of mass.

Super mass.

Damn dog you're huge.

Thanks guys!

Damn Shogun. Where are your lifts at?

Squat Day

It felt pretty cool to be squatting all the way down and having some high school kids stopping to watch.
I've been plateauing lately and I think I'm just going to work on form for my lifts with lower weights.
I'm already pulling 275 double overhand on deads for 3, and I think I'll keep with that until I'm pulling my max 365 plus double overhand. Then I might switch back to mixed for a one rep max but not sure.
Added in Pendlay rows and man, i can barely pull 145x5x3, hopefully I found a point of slack that when fixed, will help all my lifts.

I have't taken a 1RM in quite some time, but ballpark I'd say I'm at 370-390 on bench (bad day/good day). 405-425 on squat and 565-580 on deadlift and somewhere around 245-255 on military press. I posted my log a few posts up on fitocracy. Eventually I want to get get my own website and create a log and article/lit archive there like Johnphung has (fucking strong little asian dude). http://www.johnphung.com/workout-log/4758/training-log-monday-april-8-2013/

My goal is in the next 2-3 years total elite in the gym and then go and test it out in a meet when I get time. Goal within the next year and a half is 400lb bench 500lb squat and 600lb deadlift.

GorillaShogun

Yeah, it's about time to start shaving it again. At least it will make my back look even better.

jdouglas

Ok, my wife's been talkin' about my back like crazy and I thought she was full of it. So I just snapped this picture and I was actually impressed. I've been dropping weight (well not "scale weight" and my back has been getting strong, but this kind of shocked me.

Forgive the hair, I'm a hairy beast. Next time I'll shave it ;)

535921_10200979482400237_993398470_n.jpg

Lol, thanks, I wish I was more knowledgeable though.

I just do 5/3/1 assistance is dave tate's periodization bible. My log can be found here. https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/WayneForsythe/?feed

Back: 10/10, would bang.

Room mess kinda puts me off though...

Aside: I've been slowly gaining back the weight I lost while flu-ridden; 3 of the 5 pounds back baby!
I've been boiling dozens of eggs in one sitting and taking one out and munching on em' with some hummus...delicious.

Ranvier

Can someone give me some squat advice. Recently I've been having issues where when I'm squating, my back and arms/hands will start to go numb. Around the 3rd/4th rep I'll start feeling that tingly sensation making it very difficult to get to my goal of 6-8. I understand that I probably need to change the position of the bar but any higher makes it feel like its sitting directly on my spine and any lower and I feel like it will slip off my back. The position i keep it at right now reallu feels the most comfortable...till it makes my hands go numb. It's also strange that this has only started to happen in the last few weeks even though I haven't changed where I keep the bar. Has anyone else had a similar issue. And what did you do to correct it?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Back: 10/10, would bang.

Room mess kinda puts me off though...

Aside: I've been slowly gaining back the weight I lost while flu-ridden; 3 of the 5 pounds back baby!
I've been boiling dozens of eggs in one sitting and taking one out and munching on em' with some hummus...delicious.

Lol, to be fair, it's just a laundry basket. It just looks bad in that picture because it looks like a hoarder's pile of clothes and thanks!

Good deal about recovering and eggs are fantastic and supposedly boost T, but I don't know how true that actually is.

Can someone give me some squat advice. Recently I've been having issues where when I'm squating, my back and arms/hands will start to go numb. Around the 3rd/4th rep I'll start feeling that tingly sensation making it very difficult to get to my goal of 6-8. I understand that I probably need to change the position of the bar but any higher makes it feel like its sitting directly on my spine and any lower and I feel like it will slip off my back. The position i keep it at right now reallu feels the most comfortable...till it makes my hands go numb. It's also strange that this has only started to happen in the last few weeks even though I haven't changed where I keep the bar. Has anyone else had a similar issue. And what did you do to correct it?

That sounds like a compromised nerve. Maybe just a pinch, could be worse. I'd see a doctor and also have your form looked at.

agrajag

Banned
I'm confused. I'm trying to improve my squat form (high-bar), but I'm seeing conflicting information on it. I was watching the "So You Think You Can Squat" videos from EFTS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=LV8ZxGICsL0&feature=fvwp) on youtube, and they show the high-bar squat, but it seems more like a hip-hinge movement, whereas this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6u_rtRkiig says the olympic squat is an up-and-down movement. Are there two types of high-bar squats? It seems like in the EFTS video they're teaching you to do the high-bar squat with the same mechanics as a low-bar squat. The set up looks different too. Someone halp!

Ranvier

That sounds like a compromised nerve. Maybe just a pinch, could be worse. I'd see a doctor and also have your form looked at.

Thanks, I'll try and take a video of it tomorrow when I squat again. And I guess I can just add this to the list. I just saw a doctor about a issue I'm having with my outer right wrist, can't do any sort of corkscrew motion with weight or curl anything. Wide grip pull-ups and skull crushers also hurt but I can get through it. Getting an MRI this week.

This sucks, feels like I'm falling apart.

And a happier/interesting note. Have you guys heard about how the color pepto pink is calming and weight lifters aren't able to lift as much after seeing that color. There was a segment on it on science Friday on NPR. Pretty interesting. Some university football coach even went so far as to paint the visitor locker room that color. Guess we should all stare at a red screen on our phones before trying to get that new max.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm confused. I'm trying to improve my squat form (high-bar), but I'm seeing conflicting information on it. I was watching the "So You Think You Can Squat" videos from EFTS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=LV8ZxGICsL0&feature=fvwp) on youtube, and they show the high-bar squat, but it seems more like a hip-hinge movement, whereas this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6u_rtRkiig says the olympic squat is an up-and-down movement. Are there two types of high-bar squats? It seems like in the EFTS video they're teaching you to do the high-bar squat with the same mechanics as a low-bar squat. The set up looks different too. Someone halp!

Been a while since I've watched SYTYCS but I believe that's all low bar.

I heard some of you were cutting.

NSFC

Blueberry waffles nomnomnom

The only cutting I'll be doing anymore is through something with a knife before it enters my pie hole.

Looks delicious.

Back hair don't care shogun looking huuuuge.

Thanks! Thankfully my wife doesn't mind taking a chain saw to it. I typically wait until spring before bothering though.

Sorry, I meant gorilla as looking beastly, keep it up.

Ah, thanks man!

agrajag

Banned
Been a while since I've watched SYTYCS but I believe that's all low bar.

Ah, that would explain it. I got caught up in reading the comments and people were saying it's high bar.

edit:

is this pic a good representation of the difference between low bar and high bar?

080518-lowhightorque.jpg

Pushed off todays workout until tomorrow. Only got a couple of hours of crappy sleep last night. If I went today I knew I'd be disappointed with my lifts.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
that's what threw me off about the video, I thought the bar position was lower in low bar.

Yeah, I can see how it would be confusing. Easy rule of thumb is Highbar = on traps. Lowbar = across shoulders.

Time to change your name to Shogun ver Shogunusson and enter some strongman or powerlifting comps.

Thanks bud.

I should have a long time ago. My knowledge would probably be much better than it is now if I was competing and interacting with competitive lifters. I just want my lifts to be "good enough" before I attempt anything, especially my shitty ass squat. But if I keep this mentality, I'll never compete.

SeanR1221

Had a crappy day of benching today. Rushed my workout to be done quickly so I could go back to work, I missed my reps on incline and dips felt a lot harder today :/

Oh we'll it happens.

agrajag

Banned
Yeah, I can see how it would be confusing. Easy rule of thumb is Highbar = on traps. Lowbar = across shoulders.

No wonder, I was trying to do lowbar today thinking I was doing highbar. Had the bar on my shoulders but tried to keep my chest completely upright like highbar. Felt really weird. Now I know!

Noema

The SYTYCS squat is a low-bar, power lifting squat. Nothing wrong with that, but if you are interested in doing high bar the mechanics are very different, since it's more of a quad movement as opposed to trying to move as much weight as possible.

I like this breakdown of the differences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRMiUtscrHw

Some of the most important cues:

-knees travel forward quite a bit
-there should be a bit of a bounce off the kness at the bottom
-drive up with your chest

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
In the low bar picture the weight is balanced over his toes instead of mid foot. Wouldn't this decrease leverage and put extra strain on the knees?

Noema

In the low bar picture the weight is balanced over his toes instead of mid foot. Wouldn't this decrease leverage and put extra strain on the knees?

Yeah, he's leaning out too far forward, increasing torque and making the lift harder on the way up.

I've eaten my calorie limit for today and my macronutrient ratio looks like:

Fats: 31.6%
Protein: 42.1%
Carbs: 26.3%

Am I doing something wrong by eating so much protein (mostly been fish binging lately) and less than average amount of carbs?

I don't work out so it's not like I really need the protein, but i read that it reduces muscle loss from dieting.

rando14

Am I doing something wrong by eating so much protein (mostly been fish binging lately) and less than average amount of carbs?

I don't work out so it's not like I really need the protein, but i read that it reduces muscle loss from dieting.

Should be fine, not too big of a deal. If you do this consistently and start to feel like shit or slow or whatever then you should alter things.

Noema

Don't worry about it.

abuC

Thanks bud.

I should have a long time ago. My knowledge would probably be much better than it is now if I was competing and interacting with competitive lifters. I just want my lifts to be "good enough" before I attempt anything, especially my shitty ass squat. But if I keep this mentality, I'll never compete.

Just give it a shot man, I remember you talking about Powerlifting meets for a while now. Even if you don't place highly it's good for the experience and nobody starts out at the top. You'll probably even link up with some people at the competition that can help push you in areas you're lacking in.

GAF, can you recommend to me a high quality, as-natural-as-possible vanilla whey protein powder? I only use one pound every couple months at most so expense is no problem. Thanks in advance!

so I hit my plateau and still trying to get rid 6 more pounds.

trying to do the zigzag diet. (low cal one day high cal next) but its kinda hard not to get hungry during low cal days especially when i'm going to work out (hungry).

so wat r ur strategies when u guys hit ur plateau?

Cudder

their egg salad subs are one of their most calorie dense subs they have, if you're worried about that. I usually just get an oven roasted chicken sub with double the meat, think its about 65g of protein

also finally got to below 210lbs on the scale this morning. made me happy. i'm slowly losing weight but all my lifts are going up, i guess it's a benefit of a slow cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom