• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

I don't really need any appetite suppressants, my will is good and coffee usually does the trick anyway :)

I'm probably around 18% if I had to guess (I really have no idea though, just that' it's too much), what would you suggest? Or should I even bother with anything at this point and just do more treadmill walking and be patient?
I would increase cardio if I were you. If you can continually make progress on the weight scale their won't be much reason to rely on the other stuff imo. At least not until you feel pretty lean and plateau in weight loss. If you're watching your diet you may want to adjust your macros a bit. I dropped my carbs down from around 400 to 250(incrementally). Without having to do much cardio and saw a lot of progress and when I'm at my goal I'll reverse diet and incrementally bring my macros up.

Veezy

que?
I do arms everyday. But I also do full body.

For my last week here at the gym, I've been doing nothing but constant curls of the Olympic bar in the squat rack, while groaning with each rep, till I reach orgasm.

They have yet to fire me, and I have yet to do shit for almost two weeks now. I'm perplexed.

CrankyJay

Banned
Bah, said fuck it to my diet today...

banh mi and and fishsauce wings...gaddamn

was leg day tho...

dlHvcQil.jpg

I would increase cardio if I were you. If you can continually make progress on the weight scale their Sony be much reason to rely on the other stuff imo.

wat.

At least not until you feel pretty lean and plateau in weight loss. If you're watching your diet you may want to adjust your macros a bit. I dropped my carbs down from around 400 to 250(incrementally). Without having to do much cardio and saw a lot of progress and when I'm at my goal I'll reverse diet and incrementally bring my macros up.

Should've mentioned I'm on a type of cyclical ketogenic diet (Carb Nite); ultra low carb 6.5 days a week with one massive refeed on the seventh night. It's the precursor to carb back loading, by the same guy.

blackflag

My god, I think I have to say screw my cut today. Maybe it is refeed time or something because it's 10:30am and I'm starving. I usually take EC at 6:30 am and then eat at like 12. I had a quest bar already and it didn't even dent my hunger.

So hungry

It would be better if I could hold off and just eat my chicken and broccoli until after my workout tonight but I have a feeling that might not happen.

Raxus

Eat protein with every meal and a complex carb.

Also you can get more calories with a 1000 calories shakes:

I'm pretty consistent with carbs and protein in a meal the problem is I can have 1 turkey sandwich with broccoli for lunch and I don't need to eat anything else until dinner. I will try the shake and try and make it a once a day thing on top of my regular shake for my workouts.

I'm cooking a Strawberry Protein Cheesecake. 135g protein, 11g fat, and 37 carbs!!

When it's done I'll take pictures and let you guys know how it is. Based off the little bit of "batter" I licked off the spoon, it's going to be fucking delicious.

Here is the finished product:
RafCB0u.jpg

And it is AMAZING. Wow. I think I'm going to tweak it a little next time (going to use vanilla whey, and maybe like 1oz less greek yogurt).

You guys should try it.

entremet

For my last week here at the gym, I've been doing nothing but constant curls of the Olympic bar in the squat rack, while groaning with each rep, till I reach orgasm.

They have yet to fire me, and I have yet to do shit for almost two weeks now. I'm perplexed.

lol.

i do all the good stuff too. squats, bench, rows, deads. i just tack on two arm exercises at the end of my workouts.

Imm0rt4l

Here is the finished product:
RafCB0u.jpg

And it is AMAZING. Wow. I think I'm going to tweak it a little next time (going to use vanilla whey, and maybe like 1oz less greek yogurt).

You guys should try it.
OK I'm excited to try this, thanks for the update. The macros are great, good to hear the taste is too. Gotta go do some shopping.

Speaking of Greek yogurt. I'm cheap so I normally don't buy it. But I do get Kroger's carb master yogurt.

6oz
60 Cal
Fat 1.5
Carb 4
Protein

And its usually 10 for 4 bucks

Petrie

Banned
I'm pretty consistent with carbs and protein in a meal the problem is I can have 1 turkey sandwich with broccoli for lunch and I don't need to eat anything else until dinner. I will try the shake and try and make it a once a day thing on top of my regular shake for my workouts.

This is the problem, it isn't about need. You eat regardless because you have a goal.

5/3/1 OHP
3 x 105
3 x 140
10 x 155

Incline Bench - 5 x 12 @ 140
Pendlay Rows - 5 x 12 @ 165
Rope Tricep Pushdowns - 5 x 12 @ 110

Decided to switch to the Periodization Bible and I like it. Pendlay Rows when done properly really worked my back and my traps. Lowered the weight with strict form and damn, felt great. My traps were on fire. Loved it.

Petrie

Banned
My best friend who's been really into lifting, fitness, and such for damn near 10 years wants to go together regularly, and does the beginning parts of 5/3/1 with me, but then for all the assistance just gravitates towards hammer strength machines because he "likes them better, can do more weight, and gets a better pump". I don't get it, and I enjoy working out together, but feel like I need to gravitate back towards my free weights. Feels bad man.

CrankyJay

Banned
My best friend who's been really into lifting, fitness, and such for damn near 10 years wants to go together regularly, and does the beginning parts of 5/3/1 with me, but then for all the assistance just gravitates towards hammer strength machines because he "likes them better, can do more weight, and gets a better pump". I don't get it, and I enjoy working out together, but feel like I need to gravitate back towards my free weights. Feels bad man.

Isn't it possible in some (I never deal in absolutes) that maybe the machine is as good, if not better, than free weights (strictly talking about assistance)?

Yes I read the OP.

I want to ask about cardio - my trainer told me "don't jog, it will only burn muscle and not fat. walk fast to burn fat, it's all about where your heart rate is"

Is that accurate? How do I cardio to burn fat without burning through the muscle I'm trying to build?

balddemon

Banned
Yes I read the OP.

I want to ask about cardio - my trainer told me "don't jog, it will only burn muscle and not fat. walk fast to burn fat, it's all about where your heart rate is"

Is that accurate? How do I cardio to burn fat without burning through the muscle I'm trying to build?

you do want to keep your heartrate in a certain zone for optimal fat burning. going off my high school gym class, that zone is like 135-180 or something. doesn't matter how you do that I don't think.

Yes I read the OP.

I've always been able to burn the most amount of fat following the idea of High Intensity over Short Period of time.

When I am trying to lean out I start every workout with a 1 mile run at the fastest possible sprint I can maintain. Record your progress and aim to beat your time every session.

Petrie

Banned
Isn't it possible in some (I never deal in absolutes) that maybe the machine is as good, if not better, than free weights (strictly talking about assistance)?

I really don't know. All I know is a majority of our assistance stuff has been hammer machines, perhaps there's some truth to his outlook?

I've always been able to burn the most amount of fat following the idea of High Intensity over Short Period of time.

When I am trying to lean out I start every workout with a 1 mile run at the fastest possible sprint I can maintain. Record your progress and aim to beat your time every session.

But what about the heartrate "rule" mentioned above? Don't those crazy sprints basically make it max?

ToxicAdam

Yes I read the OP.

Pretty sure it's a myth. Your body gets something like 90 percent of its energy production from fat and carbs when you are doing cardio. So, it's not really "robbing" your muscles of protein.

I remember there was a study a few years back where European nutritionists followed around ultra marathoners and did full MRIs on their bodies periodically throughout the race. They lost a ton of fat and very little muscle. Most all of it in their legs.

Also, as an anecdotal, Arnold Schwarznegger would frequenlty end workouts by running multiple miles each day. Although he was so juiced up, maybe that's not a great example.

entremet

The whole protein wasting from cardio is from adaptation to long distance cardio. Look at marathoners, their bodies adapt to have less muscle mass; however, regular gym cardio won't really mess you up, unless you're doing hours per session.

Cagey

Banned
Two weeks off, starting next Friday, before I begin a new job. In week 6 of the cut, down 9 pounds from the start (209 => 200). Goal was to get to 192-193 and gauge leanness at that level.

Want to capitalize on the free time by sitting around and playing video games in my queue, eat a bunch of salty gaming snacks, + grab a cheapo one-month gym membership to a real gym to get into the swing of lifting heavy things before I begin the new employment (i.e. deads, squats, bench with a god damn free weight barbell woo).

But the cut. WHAT DO?

Pretty sure it's a myth. Your body gets something like 90 percent of its energy production from fat and carbs when you are doing cardio. So, it's not really "robbing" your muscles of protein.

I remember there was a study a few years back where European nutritionists followed around ultra marathoners and did full MRIs on their bodies periodically throughout the race. They lost a ton of fat and very little muscle. Most all of it in their legs.

Also, as an anecdotal, Arnold Schwarznegger would frequenlty end workouts by running multiple miles each day. Although he was so juiced up, maybe that's not a great example.

The Miled Sprint I do comes from Arnolds philosophy that anything at High Intensity demands fat reserves first before spilling into muscle.
Sprints in short bursts would most likely be HIIT.

You either want to go long and steady or short and fast.

Yup.
Short and Fast is the way to go. When I'm training for a Marathon I lose very little BF.
Always remember
runner-sprinter1.jpg

Yes I read the OP.

Long, slow jogs aren't very good, yes, and doing very lengthy ones can cause your body to burn EVERYTHING to get enough fuel to survive, but the right answer is to do shorter runs at faster paces, to eat an ok diet, and to couple it with an amount of strength training appropriate to your goals. Even if your only goals were weight loss and general health, there are still appropriate amounts of strength training. Speed-walking is a waste of time: to burn a meaningful quantity of calories, you would have to do it for ages and ages, as in multiple hours a day. Note: shorter, faster-paced runs don't mean "do sprints! nothing else!" It means pushing yourself to the fasted pace for a distance that takes, like, 20 or 30 minutes instead of camping out on the treadmill for an hour at a snail's pace.

Strength training and a high protein intake make your body preserve as much muscle as possible.

I get into it for like a month then I quit because it feels like hell on my knees :/.

Maybe if I just run at like 6.5 as long as I can last instead. I dunno.

I don't mind doing a session of Insanity every now and then but to make HIIT a part of my training session?

tumblr_me4tq8lNWr1qdr6nio1_250.gif

Maybe one day, I will go full Wendler status and do hill sprints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom