• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not stupid. That's fine. Just don't spend 5 hours a day playing it. ;-)

This game makes me sweat more than any other exercise I've ever done. I used to be obsessed with it (even have my own JP official machine (; ). Used to literally play 5 hours a day, would lose absurd amounts of weight weekly. Doctors always hated how quickly I was losing weight at the time lol.

Chocobro

Was finally able to go to the gym this week. Had to miss Monday because of my Dynamics & Controls final and the university gym closed during the Controls final so I couldn't go afterwards. I can finally go to the gym all of next week but it's gonna be closed after that until January 3... :(

Squats: 3/5/5x125lbs
OHP: 2/2/1x80lbs
DL: 6x120lbs (because I was able to throw one more in lol)

I need some assistance here please: Looks like I'm on my first deload for BP and OHP, failed 3x5 three times consecutively at 95lbs and 80lbs respectively. So 10% of each of those and rounding down is 85lbs and 70lbs, but I'll get back to the weight I failed at after 2 sessions. Should I deload more or just go with 10%?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Was finally able to go to the gym this week. Had to miss Monday because of my Dynamics & Controls final and the university gym closed during the Controls final so I couldn't go afterwards. I can finally go to the gym all of next week but it's gonna be closed after that until January 3... :(

I need some assistance here please: Looks like I'm on my first deload for BP and OHP, failed 3x5 three times consecutively at 95lbs and 80lbs respectively. So 10% of each of those and rounding down is 85lbs and 70lbs, but I'll get back to the weight I failed at after 2 sessions. Should I deload more or just go with 10%?

When in doubt, deload more. It will probably save you the frustration of failing again in two or three sessions.

It's not a race, or at least it shouldn't be. Where you are, I don't think it would be an awful idea to start over with the bar, or with only a couple of 5 or 10 lb. plates.

Visceir

My left arm has been feeling sensitive and fragile so I've been taking it easy in the gym the past month or so to not make matters worse. I only have arm issues with barbell bench and lateral raises. Been sticking to incline dumbbell bench and actually quite like how it activates my chest.

I set a goal to be 86 kg by the end of the year, but my yesterday's weigh in was 84 kg. I won't manage to hit 86 kg by the end of the year, I think I will push my cut back to february.

4 months should be more than enough time to get rid of the unneccesary fat.

Imm0rt4l

So my lower back has healed up quite nicely, but I'm still trying to play it safe as I'm pretty sure I've lost a bit of flexibility in that area. I'll probably do a lot of mobility work for another 2 weeks or so. Although my gut tells me I can get back to relatively heavy loads, I think I'll check my ego at the door and switch to front squats for a while.

Onemic

Think I'm gonna switch to IF come Monday and add some yoga to my current program. That last diet I tried out is way too hard to maintain, unless you got that paper.

You could also build back up slower by adding 2 or 2.5 lbs per workout instead of 5. Get yourself some fractional plates, pinch tiny handweights in between the plates and clip them down tight, or get something like these

Nearly one month into IF, and I'm looking forward to being able to bulk again some time in the new year.

Shit is pretty effective though.

Chocobro

When in doubt, deload more. It will probably save you the frustration of failing again in two or three sessions.

It's not a race, or at least it shouldn't be. Where you are, I don't think it would be an awful idea to start over with the bar, or with only a couple of 5 or 10 lb. plates.
Yeah that is true, I just don't want to do the SS program "wrong". I must page Noema for his opinion haha.
You could also build back up slower by adding 2 or 2.5 lbs per workout instead of 5. Get yourself some fractional plates, pinch tiny handweights in between the plates and clip them down tight, or get something like these

Good call. I was thinking about getting fractional plates, but I started to wonder about weight variance (one plate is lighter than the other) and some of the reviews reflect that. I'm not sure if i should disregard them and just get a pair.
I assume you have the ankle weights, I recall many pages ago (or even the last OT) someone recommending those. Is the pouch holding the weights pretty much weightless? Wouldn't want there to be 1.25lbs + another like 0.1lb because of the pouch haha.
You can probably see I'm pretty concerned with accuracy for the sake of knowing how much I'm really lifting and for tracking purposes. Or should I think of it as I'm lifting approximately 77.5lb and once I'm able to get to 80lb (all arbitrary numbers), that's all that matters.

Pete Rock

When I switched to GSLP I had failed at 125 on OHP 3x5 and reset 20lbs lower probably three times over the last year. Moving up with fractional plates and the "as many reps as possible" for the third set has really helped me make gains in this area, although I have been incrementally improving my form over this time period as well. I've only been on the program for five weeks and I got 9 reps at 122.5 yesterday. So I would recommend fractional plates for sure. My only real goal is to get to 135 and I can feel it is possible now, although I only expect to hit that for 5 reps and then maybe reset again at 10% and see if I can't push past that eventually.

giga

Reddit find, but thought it was hilarious (and true).

LyVLt.jpg

Chocobro

When I switched to GSLP I had failed at 125 on OHP 3x5 and reset 20lbs lower probably three times over the last year. Moving up with fractional plates and the "as many reps as possible" for the third set has really helped me make gains in this area, although I have been incrementally improving my form over this time period as well. I've only been on the program for five weeks and I got 9 reps at 122.5 yesterday. So I would recommend fractional plates for sure. My only real goal is to get to 135 and I can feel it is possible now, although I only expect to hit that for 5 reps and then maybe reset again at 10% and see if I can't push past that eventually.

Do you mind posting a link to where you bought your fractional plates (assuming you bought them online)? Do both plates weigh the same?
When moving back up in SS I guess I can do AMRAP, I really don't see why not since the working weight will feel lighter than the weight I failed at.

Hahaha that is humorous, giga.

A question to all: Is first deload from 80lb OHP and 95lb BP considered pretty low? :(

J. Bravo

Trying to lift heavy after playing 2 hours of basketball dehydrated and on an empty stomach is not a good idea. Only got 225 for 1.5 reps lol. Try again next week.

kylej

Banned
Saw a guy go to snap city right in front of my very eyes today. He was clearly new to the gym and was trying to do power cleans in cargo shorts and a tank top. Dude had the scariest form I've ever seen, he was doing some weird stiff legged, flared elbow jerky bullshit. At some point while "cleaning" 85lbs or so he dropped the barbell to the ground, grabbed his back and limped off.

To the New Years newbies reading this - be careful out there, it doesn't take much to fuck you up.

Onemic

Saw a guy go to snap city right in front of my very eyes today. He was clearly new to the gym and was trying to do power cleans in cargo shorts and a tank top. Dude had the scariest form I've ever seen, he was doing some weird stiff legged, flared elbow jerky bullshit. At some point while "cleaning" 85lbs or so he dropped the barbell to the ground, grabbed his back and limped off.

To the New Years newbies reading this - be careful out there, it doesn't take much to fuck you up.

This is why I aint never gonna try to do cleans without a coach to critique my form.

Chocobro

He probably watched CrossFit videos.
I hope the dude is OK, that sounds terrible.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What in the fuck is up with CT Fletcher's arms? I honestly thought there was some weird video fisheye effect on each of his arms lol. Didn't this dude claim natural? lol

Steroids. Anyone who believed he was natural is fooling themselves.

Can't stand CT.

His videos are tired and worn out. His "shit talkers sitting on the couch eating Bon bons shit is old and his entire online persona is bullshit.

He looks like shit in this video too.

Onemic

I really dont understand the CT haters. Something tells me people are just jelly as fuck.

...because at the end of the day he's right, if all you can do is talk shit to him behind a keyboard and not back it up, then you aint shit.

As for his arms, I'm pretty sure the dude's gaining weight. I can see it in his face. He's definitely not nearly as cut as he was 2 months ago.

Pete Rock

What in the fuck is up with CT Fletcher's arms? I honestly thought there was some weird video fisheye effect on each of his arms lol. Didn't this dude claim natural? lol
This Leroy Colbert video was linked here before. I would agree, CT is geared the fuck out and he will probably die not from "doing what he loves" as he always says, but his heart exploding or some shit.

Do you mind posting a link to where you bought your fractional plates (assuming you bought them online)? Do both plates weigh the same?
Unfortunately my buddy bought them years ago and he brings them each time, although I have been thinking of picking up a set the Amazon listings are really convoluted and shitty. Some of them aren't barbell size, the ones that are are usually in a "set", etc. I think I'll spring on some eventually so I don't have to rely on him bringing them but unfortunately I can't give you a specific link. They do weigh the same and they are each marked 1.25lbs and they fit right on the barbell with no slop or play, just like all the other plates.

Is first deload from 80lb OHP and 95lb BP considered pretty low?
It's all relative, you just need to do what you need to do to comfortably get back up. In my example with OHP I had failed at 125 numerous times so starting this new program I began with 105lbs.

I was also struggling breaking 205 with BP and reset that to 185 and went from there, although I probably could have been a little more aggressive on this one, maybe starting at 175. Either way for me personally I feel it's better to reset a little lower than to start so close to your old sticking point. For me 20 lbs was "spread" a lot more with the fractional plates which I think helped a lot, otherwise I would have reset lower.

Also: Brolics tip on OHP squeezing the glutes together is MONEY. Helps me really feel a lot stronger on the lift and allows me to focus on the "lat shelf" and keeping everything really tight without my lower back feeling stressed. Thanks for that brah, it never occurred to me!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Clen Tren FLetcher is just a gimmick.

I'll sit on my ass and eat bon bons when I'm worn out, since some people actually work for a living. Not everyone can hit the gym 5-6 days a fucking week and make GAINZ without set backs, I've done it before and it's hard on the body, especially if you're natural. If I had a pharmacy of enhancements like these fitness gurus maybe I could recover from shit but I don't give a fuck anymore.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This Leroy Colbert video was linked here before. I would agree, CT is geared the fuck out and he will probably die not from "doing what he loves" as he always says, but his heart exploding or some

Also: Brolics tip on OHP squeezing the glutes together is MONEY. Helps me really feel a lot stronger on the lift and allows me to focus on the "lat shelf" and keeping everything really tight without my lower back feeling stressed. Thanks for that brah, it never occurred to me!

Yeah I posted the video a few months back. In this day and age most fitness personalities are on shit. Also you don't have to look huge to be on shit.

No problem with the OHP tip. I've come to realize OHP and progress in it is a crap load of technique.

Chocobro

Unfortunately my buddy bought them years ago and he brings them each time, although I have been thinking of picking up a set the Amazon listings are really convoluted and shitty. Some of them aren't barbell size, the ones that are are usually in a "set", etc. I think I'll spring on some eventually so I don't have to rely on him bringing them but unfortunately I can't give you a specific link. They do weigh the same and they are each marked 1.25lbs and they fit right on the barbell with no slop or play, just like all the other plates.

It's all relative, you just need to do what you need to do to comfortably get back up. In my example with OHP I had failed at 125 numerous times so starting this new program I began with 105lbs.

I was also struggling breaking 205 with BP and reset that to 185 and went from there, although I probably could have been a little more aggressive on this one, maybe starting at 175. Either way for me personally I feel it's better to reset a little lower than to start so close to your old sticking point. For me 20 lbs was "spread" a lot more with the fractional plates which I think helped a lot, otherwise I would have reset lower.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)
And yeah the Amazon listings are very convoluted. The cheap ones I saw had some reviews saying both plates aren't the same weight. Some were saying even though it's listed to fit in Olympic BBs, one plate didn't and they had to file them until it can.

Yeah that's true, gotta do what I gotta do and progress at my own rate instead of comparing to other lifters. I think a 15-20% deload with microloading is reasonable. I'm just unsure to just get the ankle weights or buy a set off Amazon despite the reviews (they're rating well, but I usually keep at eye on the bad ones too).

I already squeeze my glutes and keep my core tight when doing OHP; but my OHP is pretty weak. I get stuck with the weight slightly above my head.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Not really seeking any advice or anything, but just thought I'd share a recent woe if only to keep me sane. lol

So I didn't miss a single workout in nearly 8 weeks. All was going great, was lifting heavy, felt no pain or discomfort anywhere. Was eating right, gaining mass, etc. Then one day after a particularly tough workout involving OHP (the culprit, I believe, as my form was out of whack) and deadlifts, while I was watching a movie, I felt this sudden discomfort in the middle of my back. Could not find a comfortable sitting position for the life of me. This has persisted now for a few days.

I'm not awfully worried as the last time this happened was just before I got on Madcow's. I had pulled my back doing ATG squats, and so I took two weeks off before getting back in the game and adjusting my squat form. Didn't feel any pain whatsoever anymore. This is kinda like that. Perhaps I just aggravated that injury and pulled my back again.

At least that sounds better than "snap city" or "back tear," so I'm trying to convince myself it's just that. I've no trouble walking around, and the pain isn't so unbearable that I couldn't workout if I really wanted to, but obviously I won't risk it. I'll take a week off and get back on the program. Dunno what the cause could be, honestly. Sitting is the worst part, though. Can't find a comfortable sitting position.

But then I think about a good comment that Brolic made that's stuck with me. Something along the lines of, "We weren't meant to constantly lift heavy shit, so injuries are expected." Obviously you wanna go injury-free, but I mean realistically, if you push yourself every workout to break a PR every time it's sort of understandable.

Still. :/

Onemic

That sucks man. You'll be back and ready to go soon though.

I really hope I never incur a back injury from working out. Unfortunately I never have anyone to really critique my form for any lift I do(except my brother, but he isn't much of a squat/deadlift pro either)

Zoe

And yeah the Amazon listings are very convoluted. The cheap ones I saw had some reviews saying both plates aren't the same weight. Some were saying even though it's listed to fit in Olympic BBs, one plate didn't and they had to file them until it can.

Yeah that's true, gotta do what I gotta do and progress at my own rate instead of comparing to other lifters. I think a 15-20% deload with microloading is reasonable. I'm just unsure to just get the ankle weights or buy a set off Amazon despite the reviews (they're rating well, but I usually keep at eye on the bad ones too).

I recommend the ankle weights. Here's a pair on there that goes in .25 increments with the weights being completely removable.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I already squeeze my glutes and keep my core tight when doing OHP; but my OHP is pretty weak. I get stuck with the weight slightly above my head.
Weak upper back and triceps.

Samara

Reddit find, but thought it was hilarious (and true).

lmao so true. Added 10 pounds on the bar and man, good thing I watched some vids. Also wore some Chucks and its a lot more stable.

Got home and slept from 11am till 2pm. Leg day indeed.

Chocobro

I recommend the ankle weights. Here's a pair on there that goes in .25 increments with the weights being completely removable.
I think I might get the ankle weights. Did you mean to post a link or the link posted earlier is fine?
Weak upper back and triceps.
That makes sense. I've been struggling with pull-ups so that may explain the former. At home, i started using the pull-up bar again. Not so sure about the triceps except for possibly throwing in dips.

My friend recommended me to alternate between DB and BB (for BP, not sure about OHP) instead of microloading. Anyone wants to chime in? I don't really want to deviate too much from the 2nd program in the OP.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Guys, I need some help please with developing the tear drop muscle (vastus medialis), but using only free weights (I don't have access to machines).

My vastus lateralis is trained/developed quite a bit more than the vastus medialis and is causing an imbalance.

A6M3

Banned
I been going to the gym for more then 3 years now straight and l'm so bored of it lol, i haven't gone in 3 weeks, and now when I go, I work out like once a week, what should i do to get me motivated again.

rokkerkory

I been going to the gym for more then 3 years now straight and l'm so bored of it lol, i haven't gone in 3 weeks, and now when I go, I work out like once a week, what should i do to get me motivated again.

It helped me to look at other's success stories, really motivated me. I saw some older people in bad health and didn't want to be that way. I also met an older man in his 60s that looked like he was 30 and ripped to shreds. He also had only one leg and lost the other in the military. Shit like that I can't help but to think I have no excuses.

Guys, I need some help please with developing the tear drop muscle (vastus medialis), but using only free weights (I don't have access to machines).

My vastus lateralis is trained/developed quite a bit more than the vastus medialis and is causing an imbalance.

Dumbell split squats. Have fun!

BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I just spent the past semester doing a research project on exactly this. I have problems like this too. I'm an engineering student and had a class that was basically "how to measure shit scientifically." Muscle activation sensors were one of the tools available to us.

The project amounted to " do various shit and see what activates the VM best." I decided to do this because word of mouth/ broscience had utterly failed me in figuring out an effective way to do things.

DISCLAIMER: I had a sample size of "only myself" since I had no real way to draw in other participants, and this is probably not good enough to actually get published in a physical therapy journal, so take it with a grain of salt. I don't know how much variety exists b/t different people with imbalanced quads. It's possible all my data could be completely irrelevant to any other human. WITH THAT SAID:

Basically, the thing that looked most promising was doing front squats, starting from an empty bar and progressing up in weight very slowly. I previously only really did low bar. Compared to low bar, front squats made the VM work was harder and didn't make the VL work harder at all. This sounds good to me because I want to keep the VL where it is for a bit while I make the VM catch up.

The "progress very slowly" bit matters a lot. As I added weight to the bar, the other muscles of the leg could be seen activating harder and harder to move the bar while the VM just worked as hard as it originally did. In other words, every other part of the quad was activating hard enough to disguise how imbalanced I was. If I was busting my ass to try and set PRs, I would likely only make the imbalance worse.

I should really write the rest of this paper now....

edit: and I only did barbell exercises because I normally do those, and needed to limit myself somehow. I kind of want to buy my own EMG sensors to expand the research to more movements. Or maybe I can borrow them when no classes are in session..... The profs would probably be thrilled at the idea of someone caring that much.

What fractional plates do you have?

Chocobro

What fractional plates do you have?
The answer to your question is in his post responding to me asking if he had a link to them:

Go_Ly_Dow

chest fly is the best exercise to target the mid/inner area of the chest right?

bench and flat DB press have grown my chest substantially but there is a noticeable gap between each pec!

I dislike chest fly because it seems to cause strain throughout my arms,

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

bench and flat DB press have grown my chest substantially but there is a noticeable gap between each pec!

There is no mid/inner chest.

Muscle fibers start at the shoulder and run to the middle of the chest. When a fiber contracts, the whole thing contracts. When it grows, it grows everywhere. The exact spot that fibers attach in the middle is genetic, and it's what can make a gap bt the pecs happen. Getting as big as you can minimizes the gaps, but not eliminate it. The inner chest does not exist and is just a piece of bro-science that propagates because it kind of feels right to lots of people.

Go_Ly_Dow

Muscle fibers start at the shoulder and run to the middle of the chest. When a fiber contracts, the whole thing contracts. When it grows, it grows everywhere. The exact spot that fibers attach in the middle is genetic, and it's what can make a gap bt the pecs happen. Getting as big as you can minimizes the gaps, but not eliminate it. The inner chest does not exist and is just a piece of bro-science that propagates because it kind of feels right to lots of people.

OK. cheers. At least that's another part of bro-science I can filter out.

The gap is not as bad as this pic, but still a bit noticeable.

stF3sV7.jpg

best get gaining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom