• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

What's the difference between a low-bar and a high-bar?

And I've been listening to some Leroy Colbert and he says it's actually bad to squat ass to grass and that you should aim to go for parallel, not below. Now I'm super confused if I've been doing squats correctly or not as a whole lot of people say aiming to go below parallel should be your goal, but then again none of them are in the bodybuilding hall of fame like Leroy is....

And I've been listening to some Leroy Colbert and he says it's actually bad to squat ass to grass and that you should aim to go for parallel, not below. Now I'm super confused if I've been doing squats correctly or not as a whole lot of people say aiming to go below parallel should be your goal, but then again none of them are in the bodybuilding hall of fame like Leroy is....

I've been seeing a physical therapist who doesnn't agree with people going ass to grass. He does say I should go right below parallel though so I think that is what I will stick with

Chocobro

Below are some of the stuff that comes to mind:
- Low-bar is hip-dominant and high-bar is knee dominant
- Bar positioning, high-bar is placed higher than on low-bar
- The cues are different for the two: you sit your butt behind your legs in high-bar and you sit your butt back in low-bar
- Your torso is much more vertical in high-bar because of the bar positioning
- High-bar is usually done by Olympic lifters as an assistance lift and low-bar is usually done by powerlifters

I dunno about the ATG thing. Bad in what way, for knees or what? That statement is pretty vague to me, but I am aware of the possible concerns. I go pretty much ATG because I high-bar squat. I might look more into it after my finals are done.

SeanR1221

Was able to knock out both 315 on deadlift and my sets of 145 on OHP today which were new personal records for me. Twas a good day. Took a selfish to show my bulking beard, man I hate bulking I want some muscle definition :-(

ukiWsLN.jpg

Looking bigger. You sort of look like a falling edge jr.

Was able to knock out both 315 on deadlift and my sets of 145 on OHP today which were new personal records for me. Twas a good day. Took a selfish to show my bulking beard, man I hate bulking I want some muscle definition :-(

ukiWsLN.jpg

Great progress. Congrats on the DL and OHP PRs.

----

*bunch of random cursewords*

Got an average grade on one of my final exams, and it's frustrating me beyond belief.

Time to absorb those feelings and unleash it on some weights...

Onemic

Below are some of the stuff that comes to mind:
- Low-bar is hip-dominant and high-bar is knee dominant
- Bar positioning, high-bar is placed higher than on low-bar
- The cues are different for the two: you sit your butt behind your legs in high-bar and you sit your butt back in low-bar
- Your torso is much more vertical in high-bar because of the bar positioning
- High-bar is usually done by Olympic lifters as an assistance lift and low-bar is usually done by powerlifters

I dunno about the ATG thing. Bad in what way, for knees or what? That statement is pretty vague to me, but I am aware of the possible concerns. I go pretty much ATG because I high-bar squat. I might look more into it after my finals are done.

Ah, I definitely do low-bar squats then.

He said it's bad because it's more likely to lead to injury due to your lower back having to do more work to bring yourself back above parallel. I'm pretty sure he's talking about low-bar squats though and not high-bar.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hit a 1RM on highpull (hang) last night of 275lbs. Didn't really feel anything last night. Whelp. Traps are screaming this morning. Lol.

If you're not doing highpulls you might be missing out. Depending on goals.

Yeah, if edge could grow a fucking beard. HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

rokkerkory

ukiWsLN.jpg

You look beasting! Good job man... keep it up... I hate bulking too, lost my 6 pack. :(

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Hit a 1RM on highpull (hang) last night of 275lbs. Didn't really feel anything last night. Whelp. Traps are screaming this morning. Lol.

I don't even know what a high pull is. How's that for some ignorant honesty?

Cooter

Looks to be like a wide grip rocking upright row/shrug combo. Hmmm. I may have to give these a try...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Looks to be like a wide grip rocking upright row/shrug combo. Hmmm. I may have to give these a try...

It's basically a wide grip explosives upright row, yeah.

So do the High Pulls work your shoulders as well or "just" your traps/upper back?

Mostly traps I feel but it also helps "teach" explosiveness. Especially if you're going for heavy weight (which you should).

These will blow your upper back up.

despire

It's basically a wide grip explosives upright row, yeah.

Mostly traps I feel but it also helps "teach" explosiveness. Especially if you're going for heavy weight (which you should).

These will blow your upper back up.

Ok thanks. I have to try them sometime.

There was this one dude in my gym who used to do them but I guess he's moved away..

SeanR1221

Yeah I started them last week. Just at 95lbs to get form down and I'll go up every week. Keeping it to 3x5.

I was sore the next day.

Great progress. Congrats on the DL and OHP PRs.

----

*bunch of random cursewords*

Got an average grade on one of my final exams, and it's frustrating me beyond belief.

Time to absorb those feelings and unleash it on some weights...

You look beasting! Good job man... keep it up... I hate bulking too, lost my 6 pack. :(

thanks guys

LOL

moocow

So I failed 410 deadlift two workouts in a row. I managed 405x2 without too much difficulty two weeks ago, So this is frustrating.

Last week I got it up 3/4 of my shin and today only like four inches for two attempts. You guys got any advice? Thanks

SeanR1221

So I failed 410 deadlift two workouts in a row. I managed 405x2 without too much difficulty two weeks ago, So this is frustrating.

Last week I got it up 3/4 of my shin and today only like four inches for two attempts. You guys got any advice? Thanks

Anyway you can try again with a video ready?

[.IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ukiWsLN.jpg?1[/IMG]

lookin solid

damn babyface, it hurts me soul

I'm going to guess it is a mental hurdle more than anything. Take a week off from DL and try again later. imo.

Cooter

Don't sweat it. If you did 405x2 you surely have 410 once in you. If it makes you feel any better I got up 525 kinda easy, spent 1.5 months training for 550, and couldn't even lift it off the ground.

SeanR1221

The term clean eating has been diving me up a wall lately.

All I see are girls instagraming their lunch with a #cleaneating. Like this one girl. Your pretzels and Gatorade are not #cleaneatingcleaneatingcleaneating.

Sorry for the rant but it's constant. I need to start unfollowing people.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The term clean eating has been diving me up a wall lately.

All I see are girls instagraming their lunch with a #cleaneating. Like this one girl. Your pretzels and Gatorade are not #cleaneatingcleaneatingcleaneating.

Sorry for the rant but it's constant. I need to start unfollowing people.

Clean eating by Brolic Gaoler.

Does your beefaroni have dirt on it?

No? You're eating clean.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Stalled on OHP on week 1 of my 3rd month of 5/3/1 :(. I'm 5'5 weigh about 141 lbs and only got 3 reps of 95 lbs on my last set. Did 100 lbs for 3 reps last month.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Stalled on OHP on week 1 of my 3rd month of 5/3/1 :(. I'm 5'5 weigh about 141 lbs and only got 3 reps of 95 lbs on my last set. Did 100 lbs for 3 reps last month.

Not unheard of. Sleep/stress/nutrition position of the moon etc.

I wouldn't read too much into a single session.

Also this isn't "stalling" it's missing a rep. "Stalling" is when progress stops completely.

moocow

I'm going to guess it is a mental hurdle more than anything. Take a week off from DL and try again later. imo.

I think this might be the case. 405 was my max back in like march which was before I went on 531 for a bit and then had to recover after taking 2 months off after my appendectomy .

In any case, I appreciate it guys.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Not unheard of. Sleep/stress/nutrition position of the moon etc.

I wouldn't read too much into a single session.

Also this isn't "stalling" it's missing a rep. "Stalling" is when progress stops completely.
Ahh so should I progress next week as normal even though I failed to get 5 reps?. About to finish my volume sets and do my assistance regardless today though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ahh so should I progress next week as normal even though I failed to get 5 reps?. About to finish my volume sets and do my assistance regardless today though.
I would have done an extra set to get the missed reps + but yes continue the rest of th cycle. I wouldn't reset unless you miss on the 1 week more than once on consecutive cycles.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I would have done an extra set to get the missed reps + but yes continue the rest of th cycle. I wouldn't reset unless you miss on the 1 week more than once on consecutive cycles.
I took a rest and tried getting the missed reps and realized I couldn't bring the bar up. Was gonna try for the full 5 but couldn't even get 1.

Ah, I definitely do low-bar squats then.

He said it's bad because it's more likely to lead to injury due to your lower back having to do more work to bring yourself back above parallel. I'm pretty sure he's talking about low-bar squats though and not high-bar.
Yeah low-bar isn't supposed to go atg. Torso angle means it doesn't work out that way. Still just a bit below parallel though.

Husker86

So I'm going to give IF a shot as alternative to bulk/cut. I just have a terrible feeling that I'm going to start using "bulking" as an excuse to eat anything and end up with way more fat than I desire.

I work 8:30-5:00 so I had to check out a modified schedule. My normal workouts start at 9 or 10pm so obviously those are out. I'm going to try to workout at 6:45pm or so and have my "big meal" post-workout.

Gonna go with fasting from ~8pm (might end up 8:30pm some days) until 12pm the next day. Have a reasonable lunch, then when I get home around 5:45pm have a reasonable dinner and then on workout days make up the rest of calories post-workout.

For those with intermittent fasting experience, does this sound like a schedule that can potentially have results? Is the timing of the big meal that important or is just the 15-16 hours of fasting the more important part?

Mik2121

Took this pic yesterday. I didn't do shoulder but arms, and will be doing shoulder tomorrow.
I think my routine is starting to give results:

WyL7K0C.png

I don't have old pics with this pose to compare, but here's one I've posted before where you can see how slim I was until last year:

http://i.imgur.com/9NVj5wO.jpg

I'm still trying to get some balance in here so I'm spending now more time on biceps and triceps, and also legs.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Took this pic yesterday. I didn't do shoulder but arms, and will be doing shoulder tomorrow.

WyL7K0C.png

I don't have old pics with this pose to compare, but here's one I've posted before where you can see how slim I was until last year:

I'm still trying to get some balance in here so I'm spending now more time on biceps and triceps, and also legs.

Keep in mind. Anything you do at this point is gonna give results. Not sure what the last sentence means.

Mik2121

Keep in mind. Anything you do at this point is gonna give results. Not sure what the last sentence means.

Ah sorry. What I meant with the last sentence is that I've been doing more pecs and shoulders than anything else (partly because I enjoy doing them more) but I want to get a more balanced body so I'm now spending more time on my arms and legs.

As for anything giving results... yeah, I guess that's true. Also thanks for all the stuff you guys post here. I usually don't post to say it, but I'm always checking this thread :p

Onemic

WyL7K0C.png

In one year only? jelly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If this quest thing turns out to be real that's some Seinfeld fat free yogurt shit.

Recipe?

I forget the name of the channel but dude has recipes for every damned thing. It's on YouTube.

Ah sorry. What I meant with the last sentence is that I've been doing more pecs and shoulders than anything else (partly because I enjoy doing them more) but I want to get a more balanced body so I'm now spending more time on my arms and legs.

As for anything giving results... yeah, I guess that's true. Also thanks for all the stuff you guys post here. I usually don't post to say it, but I'm always checking this thread :p

It's definitely true.

You're clearly doing a BB split by your description. I hope you're focusing on compound movements first. Don't let anyone sway you from machines. I've just now in my 4th year of training begun using machines when main and secondary work is done and oh lord I've been missing out.

I'll post more on that in a few months. I've actually begun making my own program off of other programs I've used/know of. Mostly based on iron sport method.

Onemic

In 9 months (started going to the gym in March). Still nowhere compared to what some people here are achieving!

More jelly. My 1 year mark will be in July, if I can progress anywhere near that I'll be happy as fuck.

And what are Quest bars? Meal replacement bars?

So I'm going to give IF a shot as alternative to bulk/cut. I just have a terrible feeling that I'm going to start using "bulking" as an excuse to eat anything and end up with way more fat than I desire.

I work 8:30-5:00 so I had to check out a modified schedule. My normal workouts start at 9 or 10pm so obviously those are out. I'm going to try to workout at 6:45pm or so and have my "big meal" post-workout.

Gonna go with fasting from ~8pm (might end up 8:30pm some days) until 12pm the next day. Have a reasonable lunch, then when I get home around 5:45pm have a reasonable dinner and then on workout days make up the rest of calories post-workout.

For those with intermittent fasting experience, does this sound like a schedule that can potentially have results? Is the timing of the big meal that important or is just the 15-16 hours of fasting the more important part?

From my own experience, I'm still a novice though: first week will be the worst, but don't go astray. Stay persistent. Your body will adapt to the new rythm eventually after the first week has passed.

Remember to stick strictly to your timeplan. Don't allow yourself to break the fast, before time's up.

Diet is the key. If you're looking to lose weight, up your protein intake, lower the carb intake and fat intake.

Your fasting period sounds decent enough imo.

Also, there's a potential drawback you may want to be aware of: it will drain your energy effiecently. You might even feel kinda lightheaded, slightly unfocused and your concentration levels will drop noticebly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom