• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
IIs this a dumb idea?

My grip is what is preventing me from going up in deadlifts, I am increasing each week but I think I could lift more and catch up to my squat. Could I buy gloves and do a heavy set with them, then a set at slightly lower weight without gloves Is grip a function of lifting the heavy weight, or just lifting the weight in general?

It is the same issue I had adding a belt for squats, I hated doing it but had to if I was gonna keep advancing. I still do my warmup sets without it. .

Gloves won't fix your weak hands/forearms. If you can't hold it, you're probably not ready to lift it.

I only ever even use straps for deadlifts when it's snatch grip, or for high reps.

Get stronger, that will fix your problem.

_Isaac

So today, I saw somebody drag a bench from nearly across the room over to the squat rack. He then brought some dumbbells over and proceeded to do a few sets of dumbbell bench press. I don't see how taking up the space in the squat rack helped him. Maybe I'm missing something.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I want to max all my compounds soon. Here's what I hope to achieve:

Squat-475
DL-500
OHP-225
Bench-350

I'd be happy with these numbers at my current weight of 180-185 but I still think there is room for improvement. Obviously my squat and DL are too close together and I expect my DL to distance itself from my squat in a few months. That OHP number will be awful hard to push up as 190-195 for 4 is a struggle every week. I think my bench can be upped slightly and I'll soon have a legit shot at a 2xbw bench. We shall see! One thing is for sure, this place or more specifically everyone here continues to give me that extra push of motivation!

Noema

Recently my right biceps has been hurting a bit.

I'm scared shitless of tearing a biceps, since I pull with a mixed grip and that the hand that I supinate. And I'm already pulling enough weight that it's actually a possibility.

I really need to switch over to Hook Grip, but it's such an awful feeling. Anyone else do Hook Grip?

sphinx

the piano man
I am having serious trouble with the deadlift in hot days... I don't know what to do.

My gym doesn't have air conditionig for some reason, so we basically go with open windows and since we're in northern europe, it's passable.

the thing is, my hands are always slightly wet and my grip is fucked up from the warm-up sets....no matter how hard I wipe my hands and the bar with the towel, it instantly feels wet again so I see myself struggling to hold the bar and can't focus on form and actually lifting what I should be lifting....I mean, If I am having a hard time doing a 10% or 20% of my 1RM warm-up set because of sweaty hands, I am wasting my fucking time.

chalk isn't allowed and as a foreigner in Germany, where rules very damn well apply, I will not risk anything with that.

I tried using small band-aids and it helped a bit but other than that... I really don't know how can I get better at it and it's making it very annoying, to the point of considering ditching the DL...something I don't want to do.

Madness

^ gloves may be warranted in your case no? I mean if you're not allowed chalk and your hands get so wet/slippery that even wiping with towels doesn't help, get gloves so that the glove absorbs the sweat and the leather on the palms stays dry and allows the bar to stay in your hands?

despire

I am having serious trouble with the deadlift in hot days... I don't know what to do.

My gym doesn't have air conditionig for some reason, so we basically go with open windows and since we're in northern europe, it's passable.

the thing is, my hands are always slightly wet and my grip is fucked up since the warm-up sets....no matter how hard I wipe my hands and the bar with the towel, it instantly feels wet again so I see myself struggling to hold the bar and can't focus on form and actually lifting what I should be lifting....I mean, If I am having a hard time doing a 10% or 20% of my 1RM warm-up set because of sweaty hands, I am wasting my fucking time.

chalk isn't allowed and as a foreigner in Germany, where rules very damn well apply, I will not risk anything with that.

I tried using small band-aids and it helped a bit but other than that... I really don't know how can I get better at it and it's making it very annoying, to the point of considering ditching the DL...something I don't want to do.

Liquid chalk. Or just use normal chalk ninja style and if someone complains, say you didn't know about it.

I don't understand the bolded part. I'm not sure about the immigration laws in Germany but I don't think they will deport you for using chalk.

Vol5

4 poached eggs on wholewheat bread and half a litre of whole milk.....uuurrrrgggh. Not sure my stomach can take this so early.

Madness

Liquid chalk. Or just use normal chalk ninja style and if someone complains, say you didn't know about it.

I don't understand the bolded part. I'm not sure about the immigration laws in Germany but I don't think they will deport you for using chalk.

You're right, liquid grip would be a better solution.

I'm scared shitless of tearing a biceps, since I pull with a mixed grip and that the hand that I supinate. And I'm already pulling enough weight that it's actually a possibility.

I really need to switch over to Hook Grip, but it's such an awful feeling. Anyone else do Hook Grip?

Yes, I now do hook and will never do mixed grip again.

All it takes is a few sessions to get used to it. Just think of how uncomfortable learning the front rack position for the first time is and how natural it soon becomes. Exactly the same for hook grip. You'll just have to use lighter weight than you are used to to begin with and work your way back up.

The only thing is that high reps at a heavy weight are really difficult with hook grip, so I would recommend straps for that.

My college has a fairly new sports center which includes a fitness room with all of the equipment at this link in it, a strength training room, and other places like a pool, dance studio, and various places the NCAA also uses. After being out of college for a semester, I would like to take advantage of it. One problem for me is that they don't seem to have any fitness programs or classes, at least not from what I see on the web site, so I will likely be on my own and lost.

My goal would mostly be to shed some pounds, but I would not mind getting back into tennis.

As for the "about me" section, I am 23 (almost 24...), 5'11", and 250 lbs. I think I have a lot of muscle because I don't look nearly as big as a lot of people who weigh 250 lbs, but I definitely have fat. (I think it is due to me living up four flights of stairs, using the subway a lot, and always running up/down stairs.) I am quite sedentary. I go to my college on Tuesday and Thursday, but can also go on Sat or Sun if I need to do a 3 day a week routine.

Should I use the fancy machines provided by the college, or should I perform the full body routine in the OP? I am more interested in burning calories and losing muscle rather than gaining strength and toning muscles. I do not watch my diet, but I really don't eat a lot at all. I was under the intention that cardio was for burning calories, but the OP disagrees...

Edit: I will just quote what they have:
4000 square feet of fitness and computerized exercise equipment staffed by an exercise physiologist, equipment includes: Concept II Rowers, Nordic Tracks, Stairmasters, Windracer Bikes, Treadmills, Fitron Bikes, Versa Climbers, Gravitron, Elliptical Trainers, Upper Body Ergometer, 7 Cybex, 6 Hydra-Fitness strength building machines and specialized weight resistance machines.
Of course, I don't know what 1/2 of those are, but yeah...

deadbeef

The routine in the OP will serve you better. Machines will generally work a single plane of motion and will take all the smaller stabilizing muscles and core muscles out of the picture so you won't get as much out of the exercise. It will require some up front work to learn the movements but there is nothing wrong with that; it is the same with anything worth doing, right?

n0n44m

I don't have any insight other than to say that I suffer from the same affliction. It only happens with me in the mornings, so I wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with low blood sugar.

Fortunately, it's only a problem with me after really intense lifting or if I've taken a break and am coming back to it. I'll end up in the bathroom dry heaving near the end of my work out. I only get to that point maybe two or three times a year, so I haven't really done too much to look into it. I just suck it up for those infrequent times it happens.

OK so yesterday I tried the 2K race again, this time 2 hours after eating some yoghurt with cornflakes and a banana mixed in

made it through with a 7m 30s, exactly what I was aiming for :D

still got nauseous at the final 1000 meters, but I noticed it got worse when I used my ab muscles more ... so I changed to longer strokes with more emphasis on the legs to make it to the end.

I'm avoiding all sprint distances for the coming weeks that for sure :p

My goal would mostly be to shed some pounds, but I would not mind getting back into tennis.

As for the "about me" section, I am 23 (almost 24...), 5'11", and 250 lbs. I think I have a lot of muscle because I don't look nearly as big as a lot of people who weigh 250 lbs, but I definitely have fat. (I think it is due to me living up four flights of stairs, using the subway a lot, and always running up/down stairs.) I am quite sedentary. I go to my college on Tuesday and Thursday, but can also go on Sat or Sun if I need to do a 3 day a week routine.

Should I use the fancy machines provided by the college, or should I perform the full body routine in the OP? I am more interested in burning calories and losing muscle rather than gaining strength and toning muscles. I do not watch my diet, but I really don't eat a lot at all. I was under the intention that cardio was for burning calories, but the OP disagrees...

Edit: I will just quote what they have:

Of course, I don't know what 1/2 of those are, but yeah...

It seems our body types are quite similar going by your description/stats

I started out exercising (and eating more consciously) 6 weeks ago with the same goal of losing fat, plus an added goal of becoming fitter AKA better endurance (for when I go back to cycling)

I've just used the Concept2 rower exclusively, with good results so far in terms of weight loss (-1 kilo/week), great results in terms of endurance and probably some added strength increase as well :)

I can talk about the benefits of not having your weight matter compared to other cardio machines (or sports), very low risk of injuries, using much more muscles than any other machine and so on

most important for me is that : (1) I like to do it, and I don't get bored even after 50 minutes. Just make sure to turn the music up ;) (2) If you put in the effort, it burns way more calories than almost any other type of cardio will in the same period of time. (3) I have the machine here at home, and it records all my sessions and results, so I can clearly document my progress (online even). For the gym just take a notepad with you ;)

So my advice would be to try that out, and see if you like it. All other machines are either inferior or way too specific. (check the concept2 site for correct technique and settings, start out with 30 minutes at first then progress to 10K distance for maximum calorie burn)

just to clarify; the routine in the OP will certainly get you results as well, but I opted for rowing because I have a strict focus on weight loss and endurance for now. And I fully agree with the "fuck (regular) cardio" attitude from the OP ;)

remember though that your diet is the most important component of weight loss, so put in some effort on that part of the "equation" as well ! For me that means eating way less bread, accepting that I might feel slightly hungry sometimes and stop eating when I've had enough. + lots and lots of water

PS: the blisters on your hands stop forming after 5 weeks or so

I see, thanks. I guess I could do both of them. I really like the rowing idea, and the fact that n0n44m has the same goals as I do (the weight and also the endurance, which I didn't mention) kind of makes the decision easy.

I will need to think about the diet, though. When I am sedentary at home, I eat maybe 2000-2200 a day, and when I'm active, I get full much faster and eat less. I was hoping that that simply being more active would cause me to not only burn more, but eat less. At the very least, I will definitely eat less bread and count / monitor what I eat more.

I'm relatively sure I've tweaked something in my left bicep. It hasn't affected me to the point where it hurts my lifts at all, but there's definitely a subtle pain there. I think it happened from overworking it back when I was doing only bodyweight exercises during a cut.

I just give it whatever treatment I can...I'm lucky my GF has a deep knowledge of massage or I'd be fucked in regards to recovery.

^ gloves may be warranted in your case no? I mean if you're not allowed chalk and your hands get so wet/slippery that even wiping with towels doesn't help, get gloves so that the glove absorbs the sweat and the leather on the palms stays dry and allows the bar to stay in your hands?
Gloves might be the worst possible idea. Use chalk, if they bark, use liquid chalk, if they keep barking, use straps.

I see, thanks. I guess I could do both of them. I really like the rowing idea, and the fact that n0n44m has the same goals as I do (the weight and also the endurance, which I didn't mention) kind of makes the decision easy.

I will need to think about the diet, though. When I am sedentary at home, I eat maybe 2000-2200 a day, and when I'm active, I get full much faster and eat less. I was hoping that that simply being more active would cause me to not only burn more, but eat less. At the very least, I will definitely eat less bread and count / monitor what I eat more.

Rowing plus Starting strength will have you become a sexy monster in a very short time (less than a year). Just take it easy on the rowing, I would limit it to brisk workouts after lifting. Nothing wrong with getting some conditioning in.

About your diet, I suggested you use myfitnesspal at least for a month so you know how much is going into your body with certainty and what you will need to tweak for weight loss. I would suggest you do keto. I wish I had access to a concept 2 rower...

despire

Going to have to do two workouts back to back. Today was my first RPT bench day and I have to do RPT deadlift day tomorrow because our gym is closed on saturday apparently. Shouldn't be a problem since I only did chest/tris today and tomorrow is all lower body.

Also ordered pizza, haven't had one in a loong time :) Should be here in half an hour.

Edit:
Actually I ordered two pizzas in order to get free delivery. I will be saving the other for tomorrow, nomnom.

IIs this a dumb idea?

My grip is what is preventing me from going up in deadlifts, I am increasing each week but I think I could lift more and catch up to my squat. Could I buy gloves and do a heavy set with them, then a set at slightly lower weight without gloves Is grip a function of lifting the heavy weight, or just lifting the weight in general?

It is the same issue I had adding a belt for squats, I hated doing it but had to if I was gonna keep advancing. I still do my warmup sets without it. .

use chalk. greatest thing in the world.

TheJerit

Going to have to do two workouts back to back. Today was my first RPT bench day and I have to do RPT deadlift day tomorrow because our gym is closed on saturday apparently. Shouldn't be a problem since I only did chest/tris today and tomorrow is all lower body.

Also ordered pizza, haven't had one in a loong time :) Should be here in half an hour.

Edit:
Actually I ordered two pizzas in order to get free delivery. I will be saving the other for tomorrow, nomnom.

Wish i could nomnom on some pizza...

Been doing good on my meals for the last month + and I'm going to celebrate my birthday next weekend with an awesome cheat weekend. Its going to be glorious!!! I'm already planning it out, lol. Then back on schedule for the next month or two.

andycapps

the thing is, my hands are always slightly wet and my grip is fucked up from the warm-up sets....no matter how hard I wipe my hands and the bar with the towel, it instantly feels wet again so I see myself struggling to hold the bar and can't focus on form and actually lifting what I should be lifting....I mean, If I am having a hard time doing a 10% or 20% of my 1RM warm-up set because of sweaty hands, I am wasting my fucking time.

I think this may be one of those cases where on really hot days when you can't keep your grip you use gloves. For me, I'd rather get that workout in with gloves than not at all. But, I'd only use them on super hot days when you have no other choice. And all of that is since you can't use chalk.

Did some glute ham raises, glute bridges, and hip thrusts.

The ass is sore. I love it. Doing this on every leg day. Maybe glute bridges on deadlift day as well.

Cudder

Do you guys tend to go high reps for calves? Last time I did legs I decided to try going heavy (300lbs on standing calf raises) but keeping it in 8-12 rep range. I didn't get an immediate burn, but the DOMS are as good as I've ever gotten going high reps.

deadbeef

It's weird, I get more gassed during deload week than other weeks sometimes. Maybe that's just because I don't psych myself up for it or something.

Visceir

Getting so tired of my whey protein. It's easy to drink it right after workout, but during off days I have no motivation or desire to have it. Pretty sure one of these days it's going to come back up again, ugh.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Getting so tired of my whey protein. It's easy to drink it right after workout, but during off days I have no motivation or desire to have it. Pretty sure one of these days it's going to come back up again, ugh.

Really? Shit's a treat for me, but I go nearly no sugar on my diet so it IS a treat. I look forward to every shake.

deadbeef

Could be what Shogun was talking about. When your expecting the weight to feel light, even 60% can feel heavy.

Hmm didn't think of that, sort of the same concept in reverse. Could be.

My next deload will be in 6 weeks; I may try just switching to body weight stuff for it next time.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Stumbled across a cereal with amazing macros:

PostShreddedWheatSpoonSizeWheatNBran.jpg

Serving size: 1 1/4 cup
Calories: 200
Total Fat: 1g
Total Carbohydrate: 48g
Fiber: 9g
Sugars: 0g
Protein: 6g

Perfect bulking cereal?

Throw in some flaxseed and maybe some sweetener and you've got hell of a snack.

throw some peanut butter in with your shake, it will fix the taste. or perhaps some fruit if you don't like pb. what flavor whey are you drinking? just try a different flavor? there's tons to try :). and you're probably using milk but in the off chance that you're using water, stop that. also can try throwing in some raw eggs to substitute a portion of the milk

Those lifting socks.

I need some new flat shoes, but I'm so damn broke.
My one foot kinda aches at a regular basis nowadays, and I am suspecting my squishy shoes are responsible for it.

velociraptor

Perfect bulking cereal?

I prefer oats. They're probably more healthy too.

Go_Ly_Dow

been squatting for about 2 months now and for some reason today something just clicked and i enjoyed the hell out of it for the first time.

the random dude who I was sharing the rack with complemented my form to top it all of! :D

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Those lifting socks.

I need some new flat shoes, but I'm so damn broke.
My one foot kinda aches at a regular basis nowadays, and I am suspecting my squishy shoes are responsible for it.

I wear dress socks to the gym because I dont want to change em yet.

Perfect bulking cereal?

Is this just for if you're craving this sort of thing? Because cottage cheese kills it.

1 cup of lowfat cottage cheese:

Cals: 163
Carbs: 6 G
Protein: 28 G
Sugars: 6g
Fat: 2 g

It's high in sodium though

MrOogieBoogie

Is this just for if you're craving this sort of thing? Because cottage cheese kills it.

1 cup of lowfat cottage cheese:

Cals: 163
Carbs: 6 G
Protein: 28 G
Sugars: 6g
Fat: 2 g

It's high in sodium though

I just get bored of eating the same foods over and over. I'm a big proponent of IIFYM, so I try to vary my diet every day. Like right now I'm gonna eat some ice cream, and maybe later have a bagel, etc., but I'll still end up hitting my macros/micros at the end of the night.

Can't bulk without carbs!

And this! It's the high/healthy carbs that attracted me to that cereal in the first place.

abuC

Top 5 worst workouts ever, might have to increase calories next week. There was a perfect storm that produced this awful day, I only got 5 hours of sleep, have a cold and I think I didn't have enough calories this week. I can't tell if I lost some strength or it's the cold.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Ate my first Quest Bar today (cinnamon).

As I'm not used to drinking protein shakes, and I haven't worked out for 2 weeks due to studies, it took me like 10mins to eat it :s (dat density)

Do you guys eat one bar in one go, or say cut it in half and eat it over two sessions in a day?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm done with pre workout drinks. I know many here swear by black coffee. How much do you drink and what is it about it that makes it so good? The caffeine?

MrOogieBoogie

Ate my first Quest Bar today (cinnamon).

As I'm not used to drinking protein shakes, and I haven't worked out for 2 weeks due to studies, it took me like 10mins to eat it :s (dat density)

Do you guys eat one bar in one go, or say cut it in half and eat it over two sessions in a day?

wat

I usually just eat the thing in a few big bites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom