• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Ate my first Quest Bar today (cinnamon).

As I'm not used to drinking protein shakes, and I haven't worked out for 2 weeks due to studies, it took me like 10mins to eat it :s (dat density)

Do you guys eat one bar in one go, or say cut it in half and eat it over two sessions in a day?

I literally just ate a quest bar in about a minute.

MegalonJJ

Banned
wat

I usually just eat the thing in a few big bites.

Yeah, I probably come across as a wuss, but in my defence I ate it straight after breakfast* thanks to the Quest status on Gaf :)

*Had a bowl of porridge, 3 hard boiled eggs, fair amount of bacon and 1 piece of toast with (natural) peanut butter spread, followed by a huge plate of melon and watermelon.

I'm done with pre workout drinks. I know many here swear by black coffee. How much do you drink and what is it about it that makes it so good? The caffeine?

I just take caffeine powder with a little bit of water pre-workout. It's one of the best purchases i've ever made. I bought 100g for a couple of pounds and it has lasted me well over a year without me even being close to finishing it.

I do not drink tea or coffee because I cannot be bothered to wait for the hot water to cool down, plus it's extremely easy to adjust the caffeine dosage based on need.

Dolph posted this pic of him on his facebook

408090_sq.jpg

so good. Seriously love me some Lundgren.

Noema

Yes, I now do hook and will never do mixed grip again.

All it takes is a few sessions to get used to it. Just think of how uncomfortable learning the front rack position for the first time is and how natural it soon becomes. Exactly the same for hook grip. You'll just have to use lighter weight than you are used to to begin with and work your way back up.

The only thing is that high reps at a heavy weight are really difficult with hook grip, so I would recommend straps for that.

Tried hook grip today. I worked my way to 365lb (which is about as much I can lift double overhand) and my thumb kept slipping. Didn't even try 405lb, which is easy for me with a mixed grip but impossible DOH. Do you use chalk when doing hook grip?

It was pretty horrible. My thumbs feel like an elephant stepped on them, hah. I think I'm going to do a deload while I get used to this grip. That, or I'll use it for warmups and pull my heavy sets with straps.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Yeah, I probably come across as a wuss, but in my defence I ate it straight after breakfast* thanks to the Quest status on Gaf :)

*Had a bowl of porridge, 3 hard boiled eggs, fair amount of bacon and 1 piece of toast with (natural) peanut butter spread, followed by a huge plate of melon and watermelon.

Oh damn, that sounds good.

Tried hook grip today. I worked my way to 365lb (which is about as much I can lift double overhand) and my thumb kept slipping. Didn't even try 405lb, which is easy for me with a mixed grip but impossible DOH. Do you use chalk when doing hook grip?

It was pretty horrible. My thumbs feel like an elephant stepped on them, hah. I think I'm going to do a deload while I get used to this grip. That, or I'll use it for warmups and pull my heavy sets with straps.

Yep, chalk works well with hook grip. When your thumb strengthens, you'll be using more than your DOH comfortably.

I want to max all my compounds soon. Here's what I hope to achieve:

Squat-475
DL-500
OHP-225
Bench-350

I'd be happy with these numbers at my current weight of 180-185 but I still think there is room for improvement. Obviously my squat and DL are too close together and I expect my DL to distance itself from my squat in a few months. That OHP number will be awful hard to push up as 190-195 for 4 is a struggle every week. I think my bench can be upped slightly and I'll soon have a legit shot at a 2xbw bench. We shall see! One thing is for sure, this place or more specifically everyone here continues to give me that extra push of motivation!

One thing i always wanted to ask here.Either you guys are just too strong, or the guys in my gym are just a bunch of wimps.

Isn´t those numbers for a set of reps?

I´m sorry i quoted someone, but i was always bugged on this. Most exercises i know are sets of 8, 10 or 12, so a 475 squat is... crazy.

I´m about the same weight and i´m barely doing 150 pounds. It´s 4 sets, each with 8 reps. I would be OK knowing that i´m just not that strong, but i watch the most badass fucking bodybuilders and personal trainers on the gym and the strongest ones are doing their sets with 280-300 pounds... what´s the secret fitness GAF? Am i reading something wrong?

I'm allergic to nuts.
Besides my own, which is good because they're so. fucking. big.
Which means I cannot join in on the Quest Bar madness that the rest of FitGAF enjoys. I'd boo-hoo about it, but I just bring extra peanut butter sandwiches/protein powder-filled shakers with me when I head out for the day to compensate.

So, it'd take me a lifetime to eat a Quest Bar.

seattle6418, I'm 95% sure that Cooter is talking about his absolute maximum, as in, he wants to be able to deadlift 500 lbs for 1 single rep. For me, I can 1RM (one rep maximum) around 350 lbs on deadlift, but for sets, I am probably closer to 3 sets of 5 reps (3x5) at around 280-300 lbs as an estimate.

Alright, guys, weird body question:

Is it normal to grow more body hair from working out?
I've noticed quite the increase of chest hair growth, and there's even hair starting to grow on my shoulders (which I've never had).

Testosterone increase?

Noema

Those are 1-rep Maxes (1RMs)

I´m about the same weight and i´m barely doing 150 pounds. It´s 4 sets, each with 8 reps. I would be OK knowing that i´m just not that strong, but i watch the most badass fucking bodybuilders and personal trainers on the gym and the strongest ones are doing their sets with 280-300 pounds... what´s the secret fitness GAF? Am i reading something wrong?

The secret is that people here understand the value of strength training and proper programming.

You should stop doing sets of more than 5 if you want to get strong.

One thing i always wanted to ask here.Either you guys are just too strong, or the guys in my gym are just a bunch of wimps.

I´m sorry i quoted someone, but i was always bugged on this. Most exercises i know are sets of 8, 10 or 12, so a 475 squat is... crazy.

He is talking about either about 1RM or 5RM, which is for one set. Now on the set/reps scheme, it is not determined by specific exercises, but by the adaptation you want to promote. The full answer is in the OP. 4x8 is a weird scheme imo. For a 150lb squat that's too much volume for a beginner and not enough strength gain. I recommend 3x5 three days a week squats.

I've noticed quite the increase of chest hair growth, and there's even hair starting to grow on my shoulders (which I've never had).
Testosterone increase?
Dat testosterone

Testosterone increase?

Other side effects may include:

-Heterosexual women swooning
-Homosexual men swooning
-Your dick being bigger
-Your balls being bigger
-You being more awesome
-You feeling more awesome

I'm ditching the PWO drink because it's too expensive. A bottle of 100, 200mg caffeine pills is like 5 bucks.

That's my point of view. All you need is caffeine powder (or pills in your case). Extremely cheap, effective, and most of all, safe.

That'd be awesome. Can't wait till I can DL heavy without worrying about my biceps, heh.

Just think of how much the tiny female oly lifters can use with a hook grip to realise how strong it is.

I'm learning oly lifting now, but I switched to hook grip before beginning to learn the oly lifts because mixed grip favouring my strongest side tilted my pelvis. Not only are biceps more safe with the hook grip but the spine and pelvis is kept completely neutral so imbalances will not oocur.

Teggy

Testosterone increase?

Good grief, I hope not because I'm like a bear as it is.

EliCash

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but does anyone here suffer from jumper's knee (Patellar tendinitis)? Or something similar? Yet to see a physio, I don't have a history of injuries but it's keeping me out of training. Just wondering the best way to deal with it.

Visceir

I'm ditching the PWO drink because it's too expensive. A bottle of 100, 200mg caffeine pills is like 5 bucks.

Never tried a PWO, never been a coffee drinker, but I've tried drinking coffee and using caffeine pills before gym recently. I think I might slightly prefer the coffee, just because of that warm feeling it creates and it goes well with a banana or whatever I decide to eat before workout.

Those are 1-rep Maxes (1RMs)

The secret is that people here understand the value of strength training and proper programming.

You should stop doing sets of more than 5 if you want to get strong.

Thanks, i thought i was going crazy. Anyways, i work out on a big gym, with lots of trainers. I'm always doing the program my trainer gave me, with the hopes of cutting down on body fat and gaining just a bit more size.

It's not about strength, i'm one of those who are looking for "men's health cover" type of body, or something 70-80% of that.

He is talking about either about 1RM or 5RM, which is for one set. Now on the set/reps scheme, it is not determined by specific exercises, but by the adaptation you want to promote. The full answer is in the OP. 4x8 is a weird scheme imo. For a 150lb squat that's too much volume for a beginner and not enough strength gain. I recommend 3x5 three days a week squats.

Dat testosterone

Not exactly beginner, since i'm training six days a week for a while... i'm already on my tenth different program, but it's still 4x8, 3x10 or 3x12 for every exercise. I asked about those smaller reps and the 1RM method that i don't know much about it, but my trainer told me to just stick to the plan and increase things as we progress.

He keeps telling me i shouldn't push myself too much because of injuries and stuff. (i'm already on a bummed shoulder and fatigue is a problem since i go to the treadmill everyday after the regular exercises).

I've lost about 15 pounds since i started, right now i must be at 175 and 5'11.

Thanks for the comments.

Reposting this

Edge, you still doing the periodization bible while bulking?

Sorry, didn't see you post this before. I currently am not. I'm currently focusing on a Chad Waterbury method style of lifting focusing more on explosive movements and increasing my twitch muscles/fibers.

I focus mainly on back and traps twice a week. Arms as well. Do bench and incline bench once a week with some minor shoulder work. Squatting once a week with a real focus on form as I reset to 225 (currently at 265 lbs). As mentioned earlier, doing more glute ham raises and glute bridges/raises. Doing the Magnusson-Ortmayer Deadlift routine on Saturdays.

My goal for the rest of the year is a massive back and big traps. After 12 weeks on the MO deadlift routine, transition to 1-2 sessions of Smolov Jr. for bench with a focus still on traps/back.

Not exactly beginner, since i'm training six days a week for a while...
Jesus, why would anyone train 6 days a week? You said your squat is 150lb, that to me is a weak squat for someone that doesn't want to call himself a beginner. Your trainer is an idiot or is milking you out

i'm already on my tenth different program
Your trainer is an idiot or is milking you out. Tenth program? A good beginner program will last somewhere between 4 to 6 months and at the end of it, you will end up with increased main lifts, quite a good amount of muscle and a great deal of knowledge about your body.

An intermediate program can last you from 1 year to 2 years and an advanced program could last you years and years, as long as you put the work in. There is no way in hell you should ever do 10 programs before you get your squats/deadlifts to a decent amount

but it's still 4x8, 3x10 or 3x12 for every exercise
Again, do you know why? (the answer for what every rep scheme does is in the OP)

I asked about those smaller reps and the 1RM method that i don't know much about it, but my trainer told me to just stick to the plan and increase things as we progress.
Increase what things? Because it seems your trainer is just adding exercises along the way instead of just focusing on the basics and increasing the main compounds lifts for great gains.

He keeps telling me i shouldn't push myself too much because of injuries and stuff
Your trainer is milking you or is an idiot

(i'm already on a bummed shoulder and fatigue is a problem since i go to the treadmill everyday after the regular exercises).
How many exercises are you doing per day? It seems your injuries might have been caused by too much volume. Bad program

I've lost about 15 pounds since i started, right now i must be at 175 and 5'11.
With a 150lb squat and weight loss, you are on a caloric deficit. First order of business for 99% of people through the door of the gym is to get you some muscle on. You are certainly not getting muscle on if you have lost 15lb working out 6 days a wek

Thanks for the comments.
You are welcomed

Noema

Dude deserved to be bigger in hollywood, really smart and talented guy. Also michael jai white.

Apparently Dolph was really freaking strong, too:

IMDB said:
When shooting the film, Sylvester Stallone decided that for the shooting of the fight, he and Dolph Lundgren should hit one another for real, so as to increase the intensity of the scene. After doing three takes of Rocky taking shots to ribs, Stallone felt a burning in his chest, but ignored it. Later that night, he had difficulty breathing and was taken to a nearby emergency room. It was discovered that his blood pressure was over 200, and he had to be flown on a low-altitude flight from Canada to St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, where he remained in intensive care for eight days. What had happened was that Lungren had punched him so hard in the chest, Stallone's heart had slammed up against his breastbone and began to swell, cutting off the blood supply and restricting the oxygen flow throughout the body.

Also, Michael Jai White is pretty awesome, and unlike many atheletes / martial artists who move on to Hollywood, he can actually act.

TopDreg

The former:

A
B
A

B
A
B

A
B
A

etc...

Thanks despire for the clarification!

Woo finally doing the deadlift right. I'm at 210 lbs right now after today... hopefully I can make steady progress this time in SS. I was too scared to weight lift for a few months after tearing a lower back muscle doing deadlifts wrongly (I think I did them wrongly...). It's such a scary thing. I've been looking at the SS book a lot more carefully now.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Fucking back is so pumped right now.

Did a set of 83x5 pullups everyday this week and some lower weight sets after. Managed to do it with 94lbsx4 today and 12 chins with ~60lbs.

velociraptor

Cudder

Dolph is a practitioner of kyokushin. Of course he's strong. He's got a physique to match too.

Cool. So I gather this 'loading phase' is all bullshit? When is the best time to take it?

I don't think it's "bullshit" per se. It will load your muscles much quicker than taking 5g a day at the beginning, but you will eventually get to that point without loading it. But loading will also use up a lot of your creatine quickly (therefore money).

I've heard everything from post workout to whenever you want. Still don't have a definite answer on the best time to take it.

velociraptor

I don't think it's "bullshit" per se. It will load your muscles much quicker than taking 5g a day at the beginning, but you will eventually get to that point without loading it. But loading will also use up a lot of your creatine quickly (therefore money).

I've heard everything from post workout to whenever you want. Still don't have a definite answer on the best time to take it.
Ah right. I'll just throw a scoop in my PWO shake then.

SeanR1221

Sorry, didn't see you post this before. I currently am not. I'm currently focusing on a Chad Waterbury method style of lifting focusing more on explosive movements and increasing my twitch muscles/fibers.

I focus mainly on back and traps twice a week. Arms as well. Do bench and incline bench once a week with some minor shoulder work. Squatting once a week with a real focus on form as I reset to 225 (currently at 265 lbs). As mentioned earlier, doing more glute ham raises and glute bridges/raises. Doing the Magnusson-Ortmayer Deadlift routine on Saturdays.

My goal for the rest of the year is a massive back and big traps. After 12 weeks on the MO deadlift routine, transition to 1-2 sessions of Smolov Jr. for bench with a focus still on traps/back.

Cool, I was just curious :)

Jesus, why would anyone train 6 days a week? You said your squat is 150lb, that to me is a weak squat for someone that doesn't want to call himself a beginner. Your trainer is an idiot or is milking you out

Your trainer is an idiot or is milking you out. Tenth program? A good beginner program will last somewhere between 4 to 6 months and at the end of it, you will end up with increased main lifts, quite a good amount of muscle and a great deal of knowledge about your body.

An intermediate program can last you from 1 year to 2 years and an advanced program could last you years and years, as long as you put the work in. There is no way in hell you should ever do 10 programs before you get your squats/deadlifts to a decent amount

Again, do you know why? (the answer for what every rep scheme does is in the OP)

Increase what things? Because it seems your trainer is just adding exercises along the way instead of just focusing on the basics and increasing the main compounds lifts for great gains.

Your trainer is milking you or is an idiot

How many exercises are you doing per day? It seems your injuries might have been caused by too much volume. Bad program

With a 150lb squat and weight loss, you are on a caloric deficit. First order of business for 99% of people through the door of the gym is to get you some muscle on. You are certainly not getting muscle on if you have lost 15lb working out 6 days a wek

You are welcomed

Thank you for this.

Chocobro

So I watched a few of Frank Yang's more informative videos, more specifically on CNS. Frank Yang Q&A 5 - How and why to train the CNS (central nervous system) and Frank Yang answers more questions on CNS.... Just how accurate are the things he's saying? It seems to make more sense; more efficient CNS = firing more muscles -> gain muscle faster (?). He also said to train CNS by #1 Lift HEAVY (85-90% max, I assume 1RM?), #2 Lift FAST (50-60% max for 2-3 reps), #3 Plyometrics.

I'm going to switch from Omar Isuf's beginner program to SS Practical Programming Novice Program after next week (with some modifications, I'll post the details in a few days). So how do I train to do what Frank did before he switched to bodybuilding (from my understanding)? I assume you do #1 by default. What can I do about #2? And the only plyometrics I have time for is box jumps (I do 3x5 after every workout, might bump it to 5x5), I wish I can do sprints but my university doesn't have a track field. Am I thinking too far ahead or too much? I apologize if my post is reeking with ignorance :(

Noema

So I watched a few of Frank Yang's more informative videos, more specifically on CNS. Frank Yang Q&A 5 - How and why to train the CNS (central nervous system) and Frank Yang answers more questions on CNS.... Just how accurate are the things he's saying? It seems to make more sense; more efficient CNS = firing more muscles -> gain muscle faster (?). He also said to train CNS by #1 Lift HEAVY (85-90% max, I assume 1RM?), #2 Lift FAST (50-60% max for 2-3 reps), #3 Plyometrics.

I'm going to switch from Omar Isuf's beginner program to SS Practical Programming Novice Program after next week (with some modifications, I'll post the details in a few days). So how do I train to do what Frank did before he switched to bodybuilding (from my understanding)? I assume you do #1 by default. What can I do about #2? And the only plyometrics I have time for is box jumps (I do 3x5 after every workout, might bump it to 5x5), I wish I can do sprints but my university doesn't have a track field. Am I thinking too far ahead or too much? I apologize if my post is reeking with ignorance :(

It is true that strength is hugely the product of the CNS becoming more efficient at handling the weight. That part of what explains how novices gain so much strength so fast. Hypertrophy also is part of the equation, since bigger muscles=better leverage, but yeah, the CNS plays a huge part, and that's why you need to lift heavy to get strong. Your CNS has to get used to handling that amount of weight.

Concerning plyometrics: they are not for novices, since they can't really be scaled down since you are using your bodyweight and novices tend to lack the joint / bone integrity more advanced lifters have and can get injured easily.

My suggestion is that you try and exhaust a SS-style linear progression and take it from there. It's probably too early to be concerned with such things at this point.

Imm0rt4l

I dont have the time to watch these videos, but frank has been spot on with regards to cns in videos ive seen before.

Chocobro

It is true that strength is hugely the product of the CNS becoming more efficient at handling the weight. That part of what explains how novices gain so much strength so fast. Hypertrophy also is part of the equation, since bigger muscles=better leverage, but yeah, the CNS plays a huge part, and that's why you need to lift heavy to get strong. Your CNS has to get used to handling that amount of weight.

Concerning plyometrics: they are not for novices, since they can't really be scaled down since you are using your bodyweight and novices tend to lack the joint / bone integrity more advanced lifters have and can get injured easily.

My suggestion is that you try and exhaust a SS-style linear progression and take it from there. It's probably too early to be concerned with such things at this point.

I see, I see. Pushing off plyometrics to later sounds ok to me. Does it make a difference if I did calisthenics/bodyweight training for 2 months (early June - early August '13) and play basketball for 1-1.5H bi-weekly since May (in regards to lacking the joint/bone integrity)? Should I continue doing box jumps or drop them? I currently do them after my workouts.

I dont have the time to watch these videos, but frank has been spot on with regards to cns in videos ive seen before.
That's good to know, I can probably assume he's spot on in these two videos as well. Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom