• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

Okay, so here's a question.

I started off bench pressing at 60 lbs. (I'm at 85 lbs. right now, and will hopefully go to 90 after today's trip to the gym). Hypothetically, if I manage to up that to say, 150 lbs. by the end of two months or whatever, theoretically I should see some physical improvement, right? I mean, it's physically IMPOSSIBLE to get that much strength improvement without seeing a noticeable change in your physiology, right?

a) if you're benching 85/90lbs right now as your max or heavy set, you won't get it up to 150 in two months.
b)no, 2 months is not a lot of time to see physical improvement really.

marathon, not a race, etc etc.

edit:

chocobro: they look good to me, you're at least hitting parallel it looks like. Though why are you going so slow? You can afford to right now since the weights are low, but when you get up there you're gonna want to have some explosiveness up from the pit.

A girl with a totally enviable body set up next to me to do the same weight in squats. Then all she did was quarters :(

We all have those days where we ask ourselves, "If I start lifting more weight with terrible form will I look like that too?" But we know better, don't we?

Noema

There's always so much confusion about where exactly the bar goes in low-bar. Are there any pics of someone's back post-lowbar squat where we can see the red marks from the bar itself across the back/shoulders to see EXACTLY where it should be? All this "just below the spine of the scapula" means little to me or seemingly many others.

I'll give it a shot since I squatted this morning. Sorry for the crappy pic but my back camera doesn't work anymore and I'm forced to use the front one, which requires a bit of contorsionism :p

fUluFPj.jpg

The bruise the arrow is pointing at is where the bar rests. The line is the spine of my scapula.

Okay, so here's a question.

I started off bench pressing at 60 lbs. (I'm at 85 lbs. right now, and will hopefully go to 90 after today's trip to the gym). Hypothetically, if I manage to up that to say, 150 lbs. by the end of two months or whatever, theoretically I should see some physical improvement, right? I mean, it's physically IMPOSSIBLE to get that much strength improvement without seeing a noticeable change in your physiology, right?

There will be a bit of appearance change by that weight if you don't have high bodyfat, yes. However it may take a bit longer than that to get up there. May wind up needing to deload or drop to smaller weight jumps before then.

I'm up to 140 for bench since my return to lifting from being totally out of shape. I notice the extra muscle on my chest but I don't think it's super-visible yet. My triceps are what's visibly better, according to random other people's compliments.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I know a 15 year old kid who is jacked. A year ago he looked like he weighed 120lbs.

He told my brother he takes steroids. 15 and on roids! Un-fucking-believable.

It seems like just about everyone is on gear these days.

Th sad thing is doing it that early probably fucked him in a lot of ways.

That shits impressive dude. Congrats!

Thanks

Congrats!, you made that deadlift look easy.

Thanks bud. It's the bar speed that makes it look that way
God damn, very impressive man! :)

I hope someone is able to help you with the exercises. And to answer your OT question, I don't play video games for now because it is on a lower priority with everything else in my life. **Stop here if you don't care about others' life stuff :p** I'm a senior in college majoring Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering so I have to pass my classes (with good grades of course), graduate, and look for internships/co-ops/jobs; with all my group work I have this year, going to the gym, and commuting to college, I just have no time to spare to play video games. When I do have leisure time, I usually watch YouTube videos. Maybe it'll change when I graduate and get a job.

Today was a rough day for me. Slept terribly because of my throat acting up for the last three days and kept me up (I might be getting another cold or some shit), the bipolar weather here in NYC (not sure how it was where you guys live), and my legs were still sore from my last squat session.

DL - 95 lbs (from 85 lbs) yay me :x
OHP - 55 lbs (think I can handle 60 lbs next time)
Squats - terrible, had to decrease it from 85 lbs.

I have form check videos for my squat. I just have a feeling my squat form starts to break when I go too heavy. Critique away! I'll restart from the bar and relearn the form if it's that bad.
Form Check Video 1 @ 65 lbs
Form Check Video 2 @ 75 lbs

Thanks man. Your throat thing sounds like what I have and the doc said its been going around.

I'll give it a shot since I squatted this morning. Sorry for the crappy pic but my back camera doesn't work anymore and I'm forced to use the front one, which requires a bit of contorsionism :p

fUluFPj.jpg

The bruise the arrow is pointing at is where the bar rests. The line is the spine of my scapula.

Holy shit man, you've gotten jacked. Seriously you've come a long fucking way.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That's grown ass man shit Shogun! Give me some time to get used to the new name. ;) Fucking awesome my man!

I on the other hand failed twice at my 55lb muscle up attempt. :( Oh well. I was feeling off all day. Kind of expected it which is never a good place mentally to go in to a PR attempt. Get em' next time!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That's grown ass man shit Shogun! Give me some time to get used to the new name. ;) Fucking awesome my man!

I on the other hand failed twice at my 55lb muscle up attempt. :( Oh well. I was feeling off all day. Kind of expected it which is never a good place mentally to go in to a PR attempt. Get em' next time!

Thanks man, and it's gonna take people a while, I know. That's why I haven't changed my avatar yet.

As for your muscle up I'd bet adding deads back into your routine (heavy at that) are having an impact on your MU gains.

Was thinking the same thing. Noema looking lean and mean. Plus he's over 6foot I think. Dude must be a giant.

Yeah man, I remember when he first got here he was skinny as hell.

Shogun's gonna be the first GAFer to pull 700.

Not sure about that, but the aim is now 650 by December's meet. If I can make my body cooperate (none of that compressing spine shit I had today) I'll keep on keepin' on.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
a) if you're benching 85/90lbs right now as your max or heavy set, you won't get it up to 150 in two months.

marathon, not a race, etc etc.

edit:

chocobro: they look good to me, you're at least hitting parallel it looks like. Though why are you going so slow? You can afford to right now since the weights are low, but when you get up there you're gonna want to have some explosiveness up from the pit.

There will be a bit of appearance change by that weight if you don't have high bodyfat, yes. However it may take a bit longer than that to get up there. May wind up needing to deload or drop to smaller weight jumps before then.

I'm up to 140 for bench since my return to lifting from being totally out of shape. I notice the extra muscle on my chest but I don't think it's super-visible yet. My triceps are what's visibly better, according to random other people's compliments.

Two months isn't enough time? D:

I'm not trying to be greedy, or unrealistic, but I thought that was reasonable enough time to allow me to stop having a feminine frame. :(

Here they are. I say they because 585 went up FAST. In fact everything went up fast and nothing felt heavy, not even 585 BUT at the top of 585 I felt my lower back "compress" no pain, just felt odd.

I talked to Tim (the big ass body builder) and we both though I should call it then and there. But then I thought. Fuck that. I didn't come all this way for nothing. What occured next was me conquering fear and nailing a huge PR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7snIEKDhMnc

600lbs FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLiTP3mA2Wg

give me your strength.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You think DLs would negatively affect my MUs? How so?

I did squat 415 twice on a positive note. That felt good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Had a rough gym day and was going to ask for people to post inspirational vids so I can get my mojo back.

Gaelic Broler delivers though. I can't wait to get back out there. Amazing stuff. You're a model for us all brah. Just amazing.

Daud

Neo Member
No, you are not doing it that wrong. It's very close to the position you want, but it's still high enough that it's affecting the mechanics of the movement so you have to work extra hard in the middle to bring the bar back to its vertical path when going up. The arrows show how the bar is resting on the spine of the scapulae:

m45OBXg.png

That's where the bar should be. That's the position of your arms to hold it in place. As you can see, it's really just an inch, maybe less. Since you seem to have a longish torso, the lower you can keep it, the more you'll be able to lean forward to open the angle of the hips relative to the knees at the bottom without deviating from a vertical bar path over the middle of your foot.

Here's how the squat looks like on the way up, just as you reach your sticking point. Notice how the bar has traveled forward increasing the moment arm making you work extra hard to keep the bar balanced. This is clearly the hardest part of your squat, since not only are you fighting gravity but also against the moment force produced by the distance between the bar at that point and the ideal vertical path over the middle of the foot.

Rtj2RdX.jpg

I believe you are placing the bar right on top of the spine of the scapula, (orange) when it should be under it. Red represents a high bar position with the bar on top of the traps:

9S3w5Zc.png

Now remember: I'm not an expert :) My opinion is just an opinion, so I could be wrong of course, and if you feel comfortable squatting that way, that's fine! But in that case just try to keep the back a tiny bit more vertical so that the bar path doesn't deviate as much on the way up.

Thanks again, Noema. Will try that on Friday. Maybe raising my elbows will indeed make it easier to see where the bar should rest. Do you think I should deload to adjust my technique?

On a related note, my right wrist (always my right one) often begins to twist slight backwards during my sets, even when the original positioning seems ok, so it might be something that I can correct by changing bar placement.

Anyway, I'm comfortable squatting 225 now, hopefully I can manage to get to 275 or maybe 300 while still on SS.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

Not sure I understand this. SS says the average person can generally be adding 5-10lbs every single workout; that'd be a ballpark minimum of 10lbs/week, so he should theoretically be at 150 in six weeks (less than two months).

kDKH6lX.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
give me your strength.

I need all I can keep!

You think DLs would negatively affect my MUs? How so?

I did squat 415 twice on a positive note. That felt good.

It's full body intensive especially your back. Didn't you just do 455x5 a day or so ago? I personal,y don't see how deads wouldn't have an impact on weighted MUs.

Had a rough gym day and was going to ask for people to post inspirational vids so I can get my mojo back.

Gaelic Broler delivers though. I can't wait to get back out there. Amazing stuff. You're a model for us all brah. Just amazing.

Lol wtf did you just call me. Thanks lol.

Not sure I understand this. SS says the average person can generally be adding 5-10lbs every single workout; that'd be a ballpark minimum of 10lbs/week, so he should theoretically be at 150 in six weeks (less than two months).

kDKH6lX.gif

Very few people successfully keep up the pace for that long without a reset.

Let's see. He said 5lbs a workout. If he's doing ss, that's 30 in a month and 60 in 2 months. So if he is doing ss and keeps up the pace for 2 months straight he just barely makes it from 90 to 150. If he has to reset he doesn't make it.

Irobot82

I have a question Fit-GAF.

I'm up to 220lb 3x5 squats. When I'm done with my squats my lower back is on fire. It isn't pain, but it's exhausted muscle. Is this normal? I feel like I'm needing longer time between sets and then a rest before I move on to my next lift.

fUluFPj.jpg

Thanks!

could anybody doing the push/pull/legs type split show me what their programming looks like? Like what compounds and assistance stuff you are doing?

Chocobro

I really have no clue why. I'll be sure to be explosive on the way up. Thanks!

Thanks man. Your throat thing sounds like what I have and the doc said its been going around.
:( Do you have to cough and get rid of (light) green mucus or phlegm every ~10-15 minutes or so?

I have form check videos for my squat. I just have a feeling my squat form starts to break when I go too heavy. Critique away! I'll restart from the bar and relearn the form if it's that bad.
Form Check Video 1 @ 65 lbs
Form Check Video 2 @ 75 lbs
Requoting if anyone else wants to give feedback on my squat form, I can read them when I wake up tomorrow morning. I'm not sure how much deeper I can go and if there'll be butt winking.

Noema, what a stud you are :D!

height and weight?

also how are your lifts progressing? Any regression?

I'm 5'10, 235 (started at 250). I haven't been able to up my weights because of my simple lack of equipment, but I've been getting better at the workouts for sure. Way more endurance, much more ease when it comes to the weight portions.

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm doing regular P90 (not X), not a full on weight training routine.

Under 1000 calories is way too little for anyone. You do lose weight for a while, but you'll taper off and run the risk of being malnourished.

Plug your numbers into here: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

(you can ignore the IF part, I just like the interface of the calculator)

Hmm, this has me slightly under 2000 a day, but I honestly couldn't eat that much.

SeanR1221

I'm 5'10, 235 (started at 250). I haven't been able to up my weights because of my simple lack of equipment, but I've been getting better at the workouts for sure. Way more endurance, much more ease when it comes to the weight portions.

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm doing regular P90 (not X), not a full on weight training routine.

Hmm, this has me slightly under 2000 a day, but I honestly couldn't eat that much.

Post up a normal day of eating.

During squats and OHP today, I felt sensations of exhaustion and nausea in my stomach that I hadn't felt since running cross-country in high school 7 years ago. I would have thought I ruptured an organ or something if I never had that previous training.

Glad I pushed myself to my limit but it's a shame that my limit of pain was so low- a couple days' poor sleep and poor diet can really slow you down, and too much coffee was a shitty bandaid.

Gym closed before I finished SS's OHP day though. So I am going back tomorrow for power cleans. It's not as bad as it could be because i lift saturday monday wednesday.

Also normally when I go at the last possible minute there's a dude at my university gym who does olympic lifts really seriously whose workout overlaps with mine, but he went earlier today and left as I showed up. Was a little sad. The ultra-heavy (by my standards) snatches and cleans are usually inspiring.

Post up a normal day of eating.

I don't eat until later in the day due to some of the medication I'm on, but it's usually something like a chicken salad, a turkey sandwich, or a chicken bowl with brown rice.

Then later if I do get hungry again, which is rare, I'll have a peanut butter sandwich on a really good organic wheat bread I like with two bananas.

Edit: Every other day or so I'll have an ice coffee with a tiny bit of whole milk and a teaspoon of sugar. I get cluster headaches and the caffeine helps.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just got to the gym and go to the squat rack to do OHP. I see broscience weight math. Does this guy even math bro?. And he has a towel for squats to boot. Forgot to mention it was like a plate and about dozen 25s along wih a 10 throw in lol.

Jesus, cutting sucks, even while eating eggs and bacon...

I don't eat until later in the day due to some of the medication I'm on, but it's usually something like a chicken salad, a turkey sandwich, or a chicken bowl with brown rice.

Then later if I do get hungry again, which is rare, I'll have a peanut butter sandwich on a really good organic wheat bread I like with two bananas.

Edit: Every other day or so I'll have an ice coffee with a tiny bit of whole milk and a teaspoon of sugar. I get cluster headaches and the caffeine helps.

Down a protein shake. Easy quality calories there

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Got a CT to screen for potential brain aneurysm earlier today, I've had some bad ass headaches recently that I never had before. My father had two brain aneurysms, one requiring surgery, and it's genetic. Hopefully it's good news...or else I'm a go out lifting like Jon Pall Sigmarsson.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Got a CT to screen for potential brain aneurysm earlier today, I've had some bad ass headaches recently that I never had before. My father had two brain aneurysms, one requiring surgery, and it's genetic. Hopefully it's good news...or else I'm a go out lifting like Jon Pall Sigmarsson.

Holy fuck man, I hope it's nothing serious. Thoughts are with you.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Holy fuck man, I hope it's nothing serious. Thoughts are with you.

Thanks. I don't think it's a big deal but the fiancee, RN, gets worried when I get headaches and wanted me to get checked out since it's hereditary. Also getting nose surgery soon to get my deviated septum drilled out so I can finally breath! Always have blood scabs in my nose, turned me into a mouth breather lol

Still gonna lift though, it just feels too good

Imm0rt4l

Best of luck bro, keep us posted.

Oblivion

Welp, so much for reaching 150 lbs. in two months. Had the worst day at the gym yet.

The sharp pain in my legs STILL haven't gone away. They seem to be okay when I'm not doing anything, but once I get past 80 lbs., they start hurting like a bitch. I had to lower the weight for my squats yet AGAIN, this time to 95, and although I managed to do my reps, it was excruciatingly uncomfortable.

For my overhead press, I couldn't advance at all from what I did last time. So still at 70, and it felt like it was giving me slightly more trouble than last time.

The only area I improved today was the pull ups. Did 3 sets of 15.

But yeah, the issue with my legs is really bothering me. :/

Cudder

Welp, so much for reaching 150 lbs. in two months. Had the worst day at the gym yet.

The sharp pain in my legs STILL haven't gone away. They seem to be okay when I'm not doing anything, but once I get past 80 lbs., they start hurting like a bitch. I had to lower the weight for my squats yet AGAIN, this time to TV 95, and although I managed to do my reps, it was excruciatingly uncomfortable.

For my overhead press, I couldn't advance at all from what I did last time. So still at 70, and it felt like it was giving me slightly more trouble than last time.

The only area I improved today was the pull ups. Did 3 sets of 15.

But yeah, the issue with my legs is really bothering me. :/

Wow, you can do 3 sets of 15 pull ups? I'm not hating on you but in relation to all of your other lifts 3 sets of 15 is pretty advanced. Kind of a weird imbalance there.

Oblivion

Wow, you can do 3 sets of 15 pull ups? I'm not hating on you but in relation to all of your other lifts 3 sets of 15 is pretty advanced. Kind of a weird imbalance there.

Really? Thanks. :D

I dunno, it always seemed like I could advance pretty quickly when it came to body weight exercises. Same thing seemed to happen with my push ups.

Plus, I'm real skinny, so that prolly helps. :p

You're in my thoughts buddy, wishing all the best for you over here!

Chocobro

Yep, and the sore throat has kind of dissipated in exchange for a more of a upper respiratory infection kind of feeling.
Feels like it's being transferred to me because I'm starting to get a sore throat :(
I hope everything is going to be fine! Those things are scary.
Really? Thanks. :D

I dunno, it always seemed like I could advance pretty quickly when it came to body weight exercises. Same thing seemed to happen with my push ups.

Plus, I'm real skinny, so that prolly helps. :p
What's your height and weight? I'm curious. Being skinny really helps, my friend's pull-ups progressed really fast and had to add weight as he got stronger. I can only do chin-ups :( I weigh about 135lbs and can only do like 7 chin-ups.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

Be well brother. I'm sure you'll be okay :(

Go_Ly_Dow

Caught my pinky under a dumbbell. Nothing serious. Nice try ghost.

In my thoughts bro

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
How much flexibility is there for workout scheduling within a 5/3/1 cycle?

For example, if for Week 1 I workout M/Tu/Th/F, but the next week I can't get to the gym on Tuesday for some reason, can I shift it to Su/M/W/Th for Week 2? I would guess that's OK, because it's still been 6 days since the last workout of that type, and everything in general is spaced out well. I ask because I imagine this will happen to me a lot, given that I often randomly go out of town on weekends to see friends, etc.

Reposting since no one responded (it got lost at the bottom of a page right before a new one)

I could so so many pullups as a 150lb weakling but now at 200 theyre such a struggle -_-. From my experience the imbalance isnt that weird lol. Plus biceps are much more likely to have muscle than other things due to them being easy to workout without a gym (really just curling a few minutes a day while watching tv, or climbing something/grabbing a pullup bar vs squats or benching which are require more effort And equipment to simulate at home)

Zoe

The sharp pain in my legs STILL haven't gone away. They seem to be okay when I'm not doing anything, but once I get past 80 lbs., they start hurting like a bitch. I had to lower the weight for my squats yet AGAIN, this time to 95, and although I managed to do my reps, it was excruciatingly uncomfortable.

I haven't been following all of your posts, but... what's the deal with this sharp pain? Whenever I have pain that I'd describe as "sharp", it's not something that I would just grit my teeth and work through. Sharp pain tells me I need to take a break and reevaluate what I'm doing.

I'm the bitter guy who just wants guys to squat in the squat rack

So you want people to have to clean their weights for each set? Work without a safety bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom