• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
2) can you recommend a good energy supplement? i'd like to increase my energy throughout the day but mainly i'd like to have more energy by the time i get home from work to increase the probability that i will actually exercise. i used to take fat burners when i lost a bunch of weight for these reasons and they worked GREAT except that i slept like shit and it was driving me insane. i've thought about green tea extract but results seem mixed regarding energy boost?

besides the obvious answer of diet, how old are you? if you're past your mid 20s or later try DHEA.

also check out argenine and glutamine, green tea, ginko biloba. try natural vitamins and research stuff before you run to some jug of overpriced preworkout that's probably mostly just caffiene and sugar. try not to buy catchalls it's better to figure out the individual ingredients IMO. you will waste a lot of money if you don't.

oh and for the sleep take zinc, magnesium, and melatonin

I'm not sure what you're talking about, as this thread is almost entirely full of people encouraging and helping each other.

If things are negative towards you, I can only assume it's because of what you're posting, but I'm too lazy to look back and see what that is,
Yeah sorry. I should have been clearer about that. People where I live give me a hard time about trying to lose weight or trying to change anything about myself.

Yeah sorry. I should have been clearer about that. People where I live give me a hard time about trying to lose weight or trying to change anything about myself.

Fuck those people. Seriously, they're the worst kind of person. It's unfair that you have to deal with them on top of the actual task at-hand (becoming healthier), but you need to turn that into all the more motivation to improve yourself. Do what you have to do to be happier, healthier, and a better person.

In the meantime, repeat after me: Fuck. Those. People.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Muscle shaming is real brah and you're a victim.

Fit-GAF is a Safe Place where you can get the help you need. You are cared for.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Here they are. I say they because 585 went up FAST. In fact everything went up fast and nothing felt heavy, not even 585 BUT at the top of 585 I felt my lower back "compress" no pain, just felt odd.

I talked to Tim (the big ass body builder) and we both though I should call it then and there. But then I thought. Fuck that. I didn't come all this way for nothing. What occured next was me conquering fear and nailing a huge PR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7snIEKDhMnc

600lbs FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLiTP3mA2Wg

Imm0rt4l

Here they are. I say they because 585 went up FAST. In fact everything went up fast and nothing felt heavy, not even 585 BUT at the top of 585 I felt my lower back "compress" no pain, just felt odd.

I talked to Tim (the big ass body builder) and we both though I should call it then and there. But then I thought. Fuck that. I didn't come all this way for nothing. What occured next was me conquering fear and nailing a huge PR.

Congrats man. Mad respect.

That was inspiring, man. Nicely done!

Noema

On Eugene Sandow's Wikipedia page, there is a short video of him in various poses. Fucking dude had a better body then I do, by far, and significantly less knowledge of nutrition/modern training routines.

Amazing and humbling stuff.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. He pretty much had to make it up as he went along

Goddayum.

Congratulations! Looked easy, too.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Mighty impressive lift, man!

The deadlift is still a mystery to me. I can never consistently "feel good" about it. Some days I feel it in my hamstrings and butt like everyone says you're supposed to, while others I feel it in my back. Some days I scrape my shins; others I don't. Some days I try a narrow stance; others I stand with my feet farther apart after heeding the advice of some random bro on YouTube. Some days it'll feel like I'm driving through with my legs and hips; and others it'll feel like I'm lifting with my back.

Bah.

Anyway, I've started taking a stopwatch to my workouts. Dunno why I hadn't thought of that before. It's totally helped me not fuck around in between sets, and I've been in-and-out of the gym much more efficiently than before.

"Lifetime goal achieved" huh Brolic? I'm going to have to assume you're gonna make a new goal for yourself, I just cannot see you giving up the bloody shins and callused palms quite yet.

zByLtaL.gif

god damn that is impressive.

GManDH

so after 3 surgeries and 18 months of no gym activity i finally went back. first day was rough, however i need help. i had surgeries on my shoulder and i can not use dumbbells and need to start at the very bottom. can anyone recommend stuff and if bar workouts would be better.

out of topic: does anyone here play video games? i find it interesting that GAF is getting more and more off topic posts being that the G is for GAMING. just asking, not judging.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Holy shit, Mick Manley just liked my video!

zByLtaL.gif

god damn that is impressive.

LOL and thanks man.

"Lifetime goal achieved" huh Brolic? I'm going to have to assume you're gonna make a new goal for yourself, I just cannot see you giving up the bloody shins and callused palms quite yet.

No, I'm eyeing top end 650 before my meet in December now. My bar speed continues to get better now my body just has to catch up. I talked to tim (the body builder that's there) and he thinks I'm around 630 right now based on speed and strength alone. I just need my body to cooperate.

Mighty impressive lift, man!

The deadlift is still a mystery to me. I can never consistently "feel good" about it. Some days I feel it in my hamstrings and butt like everyone says you're supposed to, while others I feel it in my back. Some days I scrape my shins; others I don't. Some days I try a narrow stance; others I stand with my feet farther apart after heeding the advice of some random bro on YouTube. Some days it'll feel like I'm driving through with my legs and hips; and others it'll feel like I'm lifting with my back.

Bah.

Anyway, I've started taking a stopwatch to my workouts. Dunno why I hadn't thought of that before. It's totally helped me not fuck around in between sets, and I've been in-and-out of the gym much more efficiently than before.

Thanks man, once you figure it out it will skyrocket.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. He pretty much had to make it up as he went along

Goddayum.

Congratulations! Looked easy, too.

Thanks man, yeah my bar speed is getting really good. Had my back not compressed at 585 this would have gone up quicker too. It didn't feel bad at all.

That was inspiring, man. Nicely done!

Thanks man.

Wow dude, that was pretty impressive.

I'm hoping to hit 390 later tonight. That means 405 sometime next month.

You'll hit it and once you hit 4 wheels you're gonna feel awesome.

so after 3 surgeries and 18 months of no gym activity i finally went back. first day was rough, however i need help. i had surgeries on my shoulder and i can not use dumbbells and need to start at the very bottom. can anyone recommend stuff and if bar workouts would be better.

out of topic: does anyone here play video games? i find it interesting that GAF is getting more and more off topic posts being that the G is for GAMING. just asking, not judging.

I do.

Can't answer the first part, I'm no doc.

SeanR1221

Not only inspirational but also fucking awesome. Congrats man!!

Szu

That was so manly, I think I almost sprouted a beard just from watching that lift.

thomaser

Deadlift 255lbs x 5!!

Only lift I can add weight to every work out, love deadlift days!

Same here! Actually, I had real problems adding to deadlifts for years, and was constantly stalled at 100 kilos because I just didn't dare lift heavier. But this year, something has clicked and I have gone from a 117,5 max (5 reps) to 132,5 in my last 7 workouts. Tomorrow I'll try 135, which is almost 300 lbs. Nearing 2x bodyweight!

Daud

Neo Member
That's not low bar.

Your back doesn't seem to be rounding and you are going deep enough.

What is it, then?

What should I change to make it proper low-bar squat, which I thought it was after reading SS?

Thanks for your help as always.

I have a question about starvation mode. Is there a way to easily tell if you're in it?

I've been eating once or twice a day, and most of the time I'm under 1000 calories.

I feel fine even though I know it's not enough, but I just don't get hungry. I've lost nearly 15 pounds in two and a half weeks, so I KNOW something is wrong. I shouldn't be losing weight this quickly.

SeanR1221

I have a question about starvation mode. Is there a way to easily tell if you're in it?

I've been eating once or twice a day, and most of the time I'm under 1000 calories.

I feel fine even though I know it's not enough, but I just don't get hungry. I've lost nearly 15 pounds in two and a half weeks, so I KNOW something is wrong. I shouldn't be losing weight this quickly.

How do people even do this? My first meal was 700 calories.

height and weight?

also how are your lifts progressing? Any regression?

Zoe

Under 1000 calories is way too little for anyone. You do lose weight for a while, but you'll taper off and run the risk of being malnourished.

Plug your numbers into here: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

(you can ignore the IF part, I just like the interface of the calculator)

Noema

What is it, then?

What should I change to make it proper low-bar squat, which I thought it was after reading SS?

Thanks for your help as always.

It's a slightly lower high bar squat.

Look at how your elbows are almost pointing down. In a low bar squat, the elbows have to be raised much more because by doing so you are creating the "shelf" that holds the bar in place on the shoulders.

If you were doing low bar with your elbows like that the bar would roll down your back.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Not only inspirational but also fucking awesome. Congrats man!!

Thanks bud.

Brolic as fuck, good job man!

I see you're under the influence of that PEB, probably adds 10% strenf. I shave mine once a week itches too much.

LOL WTF

Once you get past the itchyness it's game on though! Thanks bud.
That was so manly, I think I almost sprouted a beard just from watching that lift.

I think I actually absorbed some of mine as an intra-workout supp. ;)

Congrats on the huge milestone Brolic

Appreciate it!

velociraptor

I think people need to take a good long watch/listen to this. I'm tired of people acting like they aren't on shit and idolizing those who are on shit acting like they aren't on shit. You can't do the shit they do and you won't get the results they get unless you get on gear too.

This video says everything I've been thinking about this recent CT Fletcher bullshit going on. I've gone from liking the man to absolutely despising him over the last few months.

Also I always "knew" that "veiny" look was a tell tale sign of gear (legal or otherwise), it's good to hear this guy say the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXl_YYX1Jng

This is this man in his prime.

Leroy_Colbert.jpg
I know a 15 year old kid who is jacked. A year ago he looked like he weighed 120lbs.

He told my brother he takes steroids. 15 and on roids! Un-fucking-believable.

It seems like just about everyone is on gear these days.

Daud

Neo Member
It's a slightly lower high bar squat.

Look at how your elbows are almost pointing down. In a low bar squat, the elbows have to be raised much more because by doing so you are creating the "shelf" that holds the bar in place on the shoulders.

If you were doing low bar with your elbows like that the bar would roll down your back.

No disrespect to Noema, obviously, but I'd still like a second opinion on that. Am I doing it that wrong? It is very possible, but I thought I'd read SS carefully.

Stop my video around 15-16 seconds in: my bar placement and elbow positioning seem, to me, very close to that depicted in the picture on the right of Figure 2-1 in SS, 3rd edition. It is true, though, that at Figure 2-23, his elbows are raised more than I do it, but the placement of the bar seems very close, as is the back angle and the general body positioning in the hole.

Anyone wants in?

That shits impressive dude. Congrats!

Noema

No disrespect to Noema, obviously, but I'd still like a second opinion on that. Am I doing it that wrong? It is very possible, but I thought I'd read SS carefully.

Stop my video around 15-16 seconds in: my bar placement and elbow positioning seem, to me, very close to that depicted in the picture on the right of Figure 2-1 in SS, 3rd edition. It is true, though, that at Figure 2-23, his elbows are raised more than I do it, but the placement of the bar seems very close, as is the back angle and the general body positioning in the hole.

Anyone wants in?

No, you are not doing it that wrong. It's very close to the position you want, but it's still high enough that it's affecting the mechanics of the movement so you have to work extra hard in the middle to bring the bar back to its vertical path when going up. The arrows show how the bar is resting on the spine of the scapulae:

m45OBXg.png

That's where the bar should be. That's the position of your arms to hold it in place. As you can see, it's really just an inch, maybe less. Since you seem to have a longish torso, the lower you can keep it, the more you'll be able to lean forward to open the angle of the hips relative to the knees at the bottom without deviating from a vertical bar path over the middle of your foot.

Here's how the squat looks like on the way up, just as you reach your sticking point. Notice how the bar has traveled forward increasing the moment arm making you work extra hard to keep the bar balanced. This is clearly the hardest part of your squat, since not only are you fighting gravity but also against the moment force produced by the distance between the bar at that point and the ideal vertical path over the middle of the foot.

Rtj2RdX.jpg

I believe you are placing the bar right on top of the spine of the scapula, (orange) when it should be under it. Red represents a high bar position with the bar on top of the traps:

9S3w5Zc.png

Now remember: I'm not an expert :) My opinion is just an opinion, so I could be wrong of course, and if you feel comfortable squatting that way, that's fine! But in that case just try to keep the back a tiny bit more vertical so that the bar path doesn't deviate as much on the way up.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, so here's a question.

I started off bench pressing at 60 lbs. (I'm at 85 lbs. right now, and will hopefully go to 90 after today's trip to the gym). Hypothetically, if I manage to up that to say, 150 lbs. by the end of two months or whatever, theoretically I should see some physical improvement, right? I mean, it's physically IMPOSSIBLE to get that much strength improvement without seeing a noticeable change in your physiology, right?

Zoe

A girl with a totally enviable body set up next to me to do the same weight in squats. Then all she did was quarters :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A girl with a totally enviable body set up next to me to do the same weight in squats. Then all she did was quarters :(

It's all just window dressing then. All flash, no performance.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Congrats!, you made that deadlift look easy.

There's always so much confusion about where exactly the bar goes in low-bar. Are there any pics of someone's back post-lowbar squat where we can see the red marks from the bar itself across the back/shoulders to see EXACTLY where it should be? All this "just below the spine of the scapula" means little to me or seemingly many others.

Chocobro

God damn, very impressive man! :)

I hope someone is able to help you with the exercises. And to answer your OT question, I don't play video games for now because it is on a lower priority with everything else in my life. **Stop here if you don't care about others' life stuff :p** I'm a senior in college majoring Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering so I have to pass my classes (with good grades of course), graduate, and look for internships/co-ops/jobs; with all my group work I have this year, going to the gym, and commuting to college, I just have no time to spare to play video games. When I do have leisure time, I usually watch YouTube videos. Maybe it'll change when I graduate and get a job.

Today was a rough day for me. Slept terribly because of my throat acting up for the last three days and kept me up (I might be getting another cold or some shit), the bipolar weather here in NYC (not sure how it was where you guys live), and my legs were still sore from my last squat session.

DL - 95 lbs (from 85 lbs) yay me :x
OHP - 55 lbs (think I can handle 60 lbs next time)
Squats - terrible, had to decrease it from 85 lbs.

I have form check videos for my squat. I just have a feeling my squat form starts to break when I go too heavy. Critique away! I'll restart from the bar and relearn the form if it's that bad.
Form Check Video 1 @ 65 lbs
Form Check Video 2 @ 75 lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom