• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

Wedding date is set, early September this year. Got the hall and church down payments made today.

We ate like beasts this weekend, just topped it all off with Pho and egg rolls. I'll see if I decide to eat tomorrow or just fast till Wednesday. Then comes strict PSMF for 2-3 weeks at a time. I have 7 months till the wedding, I want to be as lean as possible for it. My fiance is down 8lbs just doing keto, she's literally the most perfect match for me. Keep the faith bros, it can happen.

Deloading 30lbs and going to do 531 with emphasis on volume. Heck I might go back down 40. I don't care, I'll just do more reps on the plus sets. So ready for this next big step.

Awesome! So excited for you bro!

Pachimari

So are you guys writing down every time to take in calories? And let's say I got a carton of chocolate milk, and it comes with 3.5g protein, is that for drinking the whole carton, or is it for every time I drink? So if I only drink a glass of it, it's not actually 3.5g?

KillerBEA

Hope you have more fun planning it than I did. Missus got severe depression from doing low carb and couldn't give a fuck about anything. She looked great for the wedding, but I'm glad we stopped her diet a few weeks earlier as we'd have probably not made it to the altar.

Stupid bodies.
That's scary stuff man, glad she pulled through.

Wedding date is set, early September this year. Got the hall and church down payments made today.

We ate like beasts this weekend, just topped it all off with Pho and egg rolls. I'll see if I decide to eat tomorrow or just fast till Wednesday. Then comes strict PSMF for 2-3 weeks at a time. I have 7 months till the wedding, I want to be as lean as possible for it. My fiance is down 8lbs just doing keto, she's literally the most perfect match for me. Keep the faith bros, it can happen.

Deloading 30lbs and going to do 531 with emphasis on volume. Heck I might go back down 40. I don't care, I'll just do more reps on the plus sets. So ready for this next big step.
Good stuff dude. Happy for you.

So are you guys writing down every time to take in calories? And let's say I got a carton of chocolate milk, and it comes with 3.5g protein, is that for drinking the whole carton, or is it for every time I drink? So if I only drink a glass of it, it's not actually 3.5g?
Look at the serving size printed on nutrition label. Then do any needed conversions or math.

For calorie tracking, use the myfitnesspal app. It takes out most of the headache calorie counting. Can still be mundane making it super accurate.I am usually am super on top of tracking for 2 weeks and then get lazy for a few days and then repeat cycle.

sphinx

the piano man
so I have a question regading nutrition,

I am missing one main source of protein. I don't mean smaller stuff like nuts or cheese, I am looking for a protein source from which I can prepare a complete meal, like meat and eggs.

.- meat (all included, chicken, beef, fish/tuna)
.- eggs
.- protein shake (as snack)
.- ???

thing is, I don't want to eat the same thing twice in a day, don't want eggs in the morning and for dinner so I want to eat something else but don't know what exactly.

thanks for any help.

wow congrats, nice success story right there

Why wouldn't you just eat meat twice? It's not like there isn't a strong variety.

That aside, your best bet there for high protein that you haven't listed is greek yoghurt + something else.

Servbot24

Banned
Well shoot, I had been tracking my progress over the last couple years, but I think I accidentally deleted the photos. Too bad. Well, here's where I'm at now anyway, filthy bathroom mirror and all. I've had my gym membership for 2 years now. Before that I was basically skinny fat.

12705405_10156537186315013_4053589737744517891_n.jpg

I am missing one main source of protein. I don't mean smaller stuff like nuts or cheese, I am looking for a protein source from which I can prepare a complete meal, like meat and eggs.

Maybe add some almonds as a snack? Also just have chicken for one meal and tuna for another, they're plenty different.

Those shorts go uncomfortably low... :p

Unrelated, it's no wonder I'm struggling so much with this year's Tour of Sufferlandria. Look what my move did to my fitness:

BK5l1xJ.png

:(

Pachimari

Look at the serving size printed on nutrition label. Then do any needed conversions or math.

For calorie tracking, use the myfitnesspal app. It takes out most of the headache calorie counting. Can still be mundane making it super accurate.I am usually am super on top of tracking for 2 weeks and then get lazy for a few days and then repeat cycle.

Thanks for the recommendations of the myfitnesspal app, I'm gonna check that out right away. And I'm also gonna look at the serving size.

[edit]
I don't understand this actually. It says "per 100g" at the nutrition label, and 3.5g at protein. So per 100g I get 3.5g protein in my body I guess, but how much do I actually need to drink in order to get the 3.5g. I'm really not good at this.

Teggy

so I have a question regading nutrition,

.- meat (all included, chicken, beef, fish/tuna)
.- eggs
.- protein shake (as snack)
.- ???

Cottage cheese has tons of protein if you like it.

Edit: sorry, didn't read very closely.

I don't understand this actually. It says "per 100g" at the nutrition label, and 3.5g at protein. So per 100g I get 3.5g protein in my body I guess, but how much do I actually need to drink in order to get the 3.5g. I'm really not good at this.

So if you eat 100g of it, you get 3.5g of protein. Serving size will likely be different, say 150g... in which case, you'd get 5.25g of protein.

If you're talking about weight vs volume... that's another argument, but you'd be better off just weighing it if it doesn't give the values per 100ml / pint / quart / gallon / hogshead etc.

But it's muuuuuuuch easier to just put how much you ate into MyFitnessPal. I used to do it all with a spreadsheet, was a total nightmare.

Pachimari

I take it, it is important to make a food plan before I even start training. I tried inserting data in that MyFitnessPal app and because I want to weight 85kg, it says I should eat 2.800 calories a day. Or is it a week, I'm not sure. My weight right now is 83.5kg.

I'm currently in the process of changing what I eat and drink now that me and the girlfriend is not together anymore. Not I can fill the fridge with healthy stuff. Right now I'm eating jasmine rice and tuna in oil.

Fox318

I take it, it is important to make a food plan before I even start training. I tried inserting data in that MyFitnessPal app and because I want to weight 85kg, it says I should eat 2.800 calories a day. Or is it a week, I'm not sure. My weight right now is 83.5kg.

I'm currently in the process of changing what I eat and drink now that me and the girlfriend is not together anymore. Not I can fill the fridge with healthy stuff. Right now I'm eating jasmine rice and tuna in oil.

It has to be a day. Drink plenty of milk.

Myfitnesspal is fantastic but I hope some alternatives pop up. I can't help but feel like UA is gonna lock it up to their trackers.

Pachimari

It has to be a day. Drink plenty of milk.

Myfitnesspal is fantastic but I hope some alternatives pop up. I can't help but feel like UA is gonna lock it up to their trackers.

Here's my dilemma, and what I'm afraid of. I had a history of acne before I got medicinal treatment for it a few years back. Before then, it was the milk especially, who made my pimples break out, and I wouldn't like that to happen again. Though, if I try go that route, should I drink milk, or can chocolatemilk do too?

Here's how my day looks so far:

GUH7YIc.png

I don't know what the 27 Exercise means?
It didn't have the rice I'm eating, so I just chose generic.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Well shoot, I had been tracking my progress over the last couple years, but I think I accidentally deleted the photos. Too bad. Well, here's where I'm at now anyway, filthy bathroom mirror and all. I've had my gym membership for 2 years now. Before that I was basically skinny fat.

12705405_10156537186315013_4053589737744517891_n.jpg

Maybe add some almonds as a snack? Also just have chicken for one meal and tuna for another, they're plenty different.

Serv, you look amazing. That's pretty much my ideal body. What's your height and weight?

mdsfx

Ugh.

Attempted a one Rep max of 300 on squats today. 275 went up fast. 285 slow, but no issue. 300 failed and I had to go back down to the safety bars. When I did though, I lost the tension in my upper back causing all of the weight to rest on my vertebrae. Hurt like a bitch and I have a little swollen bump there now.

Like I said, "Ugh."

Fox318

Here's my dilemma, and what I'm afraid of. I had a history of acne before I got medicinal treatment for it a few years back. Before then, it was the milk especially, who made my pimples break out, and I wouldn't like that to happen again. Though, if I try go that route, should I drink milk, or can chocolatemilk do too?

Here's how my day looks so far:

GUH7YIc.png

I don't know what the 27 Exercise means?
It didn't have the rice I'm eating, so I just chose generic.

I'm guessing you have a fitbit or some other thing connected. What they are saying is that you moved or excised enough to burn that many extra calories.

As for the diet I can't help there. I'm trying to lose weight lol.

Like currently here is my calories planned or eaten today

bqNFapn.png

Pachimari

I don't have a fitbit, all I'm having is my iPhone. Should I go get some kind of fitness band though? As soon as I get down how to control my diet and how to calculate all of the calories, I will start training.

Fox318

I don't have a fitbit, all I'm having is my iPhone. Should I go get some kind of fitness band though? As soon as I get down how to control my diet and how to calculate all of the calories, I will start training.

I love mine but you don't need one. People seem to like the iphone app.

biggest thing is logging your calories and understanding what you eat.

I'm an odd one in that I track everything I can. Including any vitamins and things like Advil.

Ugh, I'm going to have to cram 3,750 kcal into three hours because of two hours of weights and an hour and a half on the turbo. I never plan my food in advance, but I've had to tonight...

...it looks ugly.

SystemBug

Gained a little bit of weight and my lifts are improving so much! Probably noob gains but I went from doing barely only 3 reps of 200p on a deadlift to 240p for 5 reps.

Pachimari

What do I do when I'm heading out to eat at parents, with friends or the likes. I have no chance of knowing how many calories is in the food and drinks, and I wouldn't know how much I put in my body.

Wulfric

Well, I'm posting my final update before I leave for basic training tomorrow. I already said goodbye to my friends in the past few days, so I found it prudent to pop back in this thread and thank a few of you who have played a not insignificant role in my progress these past couple months. I did start to plateau fairly recently, but where I finished is far better than where I started:

November 6th --> Now
Squat: 45 lbs --> 240
Bench Press: 45 lbs --> 120 (not happy about this one)
Deadlift: 95 lbs --> 215
OHP: 45 lbs --> 85
Barbell Row: 60 lbs --> 115

One of the things I realized recently is how dedicated many of you are to health and fitness. In all honesty, this is the most helpful and encouraging forum I've been on. For the most part, nearly everyone who was posting in this thread last July is still here putting in work. It's that dedication which has helped me move forward. Even if I was having a crappy day at work, I still forced myself under the bar. I'm not a beast by any means, but I have gotten more than a few comments about the muscle mass I've put on. As petty as it sounds, it feels nice to finally have people notice the work I've done.

BumRush and Psychotext, thanks for helping a total noob make sense of routines. If I remember correctly, my first routine was a hot mess of various machine based exercises. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was quickly informed there was a better way of getting where I wanted to be.

Brolic, keep posting those incredible videos and good luck with your next competition, whenever that may be. Your vids remind me there's still a long way to go before I truly push the limits of what I can do.

That being said, I really need to go pack my bag. Keep it going fellas, and I'll be back in 10 weeks. :)

BumRush and Psychotext, thanks for helping a total noob make sense of routines. If I remember correctly, my first routine was a hot mess of various machine based exercises. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was quickly informed there was a better way of getting where I wanted to be.

No worries buddy. Good luck with the next step. :)

Unrelated, I did my two hours of weights and hour and a half of turbo trainer time today and I feel much better than I expected to. Was actually a particularly good session.... maybe I like it out in the cold!

Now I eat... everything.

ILoveBish

Good deload day today. Broke my headphones during squats tho, going so deep. Haven't ate yet, maybe I'll wait till Wednesday. I dunno. PSMF starts this week, food is prepped and ready.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Well, I'm posting my final update before I leave for basic training tomorrow. I already said goodbye to my friends in the past few days, so I found it prudent to pop back in this thread and thank a few of you who have played a not insignificant role in my progress these past couple months. I did start to plateau fairly recently, but where I finished is far better than where I started:

November 6th --> Now
Squat: 45 lbs --> 240
Bench Press: 45 lbs --> 120 (not happy about this one)
Deadlift: 95 lbs --> 215
OHP: 45 lbs --> 85
Barbell Row: 60 lbs --> 115

One of the things I realized recently is how dedicated many of you are to health and fitness. In all honesty, this is the most helpful and encouraging forum I've been on. For the most part, nearly everyone who was posting in this thread last July is still here putting in work. It's that dedication which has helped me move forward. Even if I was having a crappy day at work, I still forced myself under the bar. I'm not a beast by any means, but I have gotten more than a few comments about the muscle mass I've put on. As petty as it sounds, it feels nice to finally have people notice the work I've done.

Brolic, keep posting those incredible videos and good luck with your next competition, whenever that may be. Your vids remind me there's still a long way to go before I truly push the limits of what I can do.

That being said, I really need to go pack my bag. Keep it going fellas, and I'll be back in 10 weeks. :)

I know you were the one giving me advice, but I'm proud of you. Keep up the progress when you can, and never give up. Also, stay safe and check in from time to time. I know you and I will both eventually be beasts.

So my official 1 month weight was set for tomorrow but I'm going to be busy to I jumped the gun.

After 30 days I've gone from 255 to 229. I'm so happy about it, especially since I ate like 40 little smokies in a blanket for the Super Bowl yesterday (go Broncos!). A good use of a cheat and it doesn't feel to have hurt me.

The strict diet has been big but the Yoga program has put me over the top. I can feel the difference after only a few weeks. With only dynamic resistance, my chest and arms feel jacked and I've dropped nearly 2 pant sizes. I'm going to stick this out. I'll blow past my goal but It might be cool to see how ripped I can get!

mdsfx

So my official 1 month weight was set for tomorrow but I'm going to be busy to I jumped the gun.

After 30 days I've gone from 255 to 229. I'm so happy about it, especially since I ate like 40 little smokies in a blanket for the Super Bowl yesterday (go Broncos!). A good use of a cheat and it doesn't feel to have hurt me.

The strict diet has been big but the Yoga program has put me over the top. I can feel the difference after only a few weeks. With only dynamic resistance, my chest and arms feel jacked and I've dropped nearly 2 pant sizes. I'm going to stick this out. I'll blow past my goal but It might be cool to see how ripped I can get!

That's awesome progress! Keep it up!!

Hey Gaf, has your running ever gotten worse?

It feels like last week and today my running has just gotten worse for some reason. Like I get some form of shin splint or feel more tense in my lower legs. My time has gotten slower and I feel more winded for some reason. And this is after I made some progress with my run. Two weeks ago I was feeling awesome about running but last week and today just sucked.

I can't figure out why because I haven't changed anything in my running technique.

I run 1 lap and then walk 1.5 laps until I get 12 running laps. I'm trying to be able to run a mile straight and I guess I'm improving since I started at run 1 walk 2 laps about a month ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom