• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

What... The...

I started to make the family breakfast this morning and THIS was in my cabinet. Apparently the wife was already in the know and holding out on me lol. I just started laughing when I saw it :)

I believe I also see Nutella hiding back there.

Szu

Nutella is fucking lovely. You peanut butter loving heathens can shut your whore mouths! ;)

You can keep your hazelnuts to yourself.

LjSzAb8.gif

Damn. 3 weeks in a row I've lost weight. All 3 weeks I went up in calories O.O

To be fair, this shit happens to me a lot. Could be recent stress but I'm still up 9lbs over 3 months and every 3 has been the same between 7-9 gained so I'm not too worried. With all the shit I've had going on its probably a bit of stress even though I feel fine and have gone up in several lifts. Hmmmm.

GatorBait

I lost 6 lbs in about 3 days this week eating just a little under maintenance. Scale weight is weird to me too.
I'm getting some sweet, sweet Kansas City BBQ for lunch (and likely leftovers for dinner), so we'll see how much the scale jumps back up tomorrow morning. Anyone want to venture a guess? I got $5 on 3.2 lbs.

Everyone is dropping weight. Winter is now officially cut season!
Yeah but I'm not looking to lose at the moment. I do think stress played a huge part for me, though. I'm usually on point with my diet but even my glucose hasn't been steady like it usually is, despite my best efforts.

I lost a ton of muscle over the move, and the massively stressful few weeks before it. Was eating big to try and keep as much as possible, but my weight stayed pretty much steady and I know I definitely added fat.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
1. Farmer's Walks

2. Rack Pulls

I think I'll add both of those as accessories for deads, actually.

I decided to keep things explosive for power clean day, here's what I did today:

Power cleans - 120 lbs 1x5, 135x3, 150x4
Clean pulls - 160lbs 5x3
Hang cleans - 80lbs 5x3

It was my first time doing hang cleans, I'll see how close I can get them to my power cleans.

mdsfx

Probably. How long did you bulk for, 5 or 6 weeks

7-8 I think. Once i completely lost my abs I decided it was enough. It certainly worked though, at least in terms of strength. Can't say I'm going to look much bigger though. Only time will tell.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
7-8 I think. Once i completely lost my abs I decided it was enough. It certainly worked though, at least in terms of strength. Can't say I'm going to look much bigger though. Only time will tell.
lol Is it even a bulk if you stop the moment your abs disappear? Next time be like me and stop when you notice cottage cheese like divots on your love handles!

I assume the idea of spotting is mostly to avoid having to re-rack the weights. I've literally never had a spotter, and if I fail I just lower to the safety bars.

So I finally joined a gym with decent free-weights. I've been doing some body weight exercises to start for a few months and then went on to using a friend's apartment gym access to see if I have the commitment for fitness. Well it's been a success so far and I'm seeing some pretty good beginner's gains but I feel like I have outgrown the apartment gym (dumbbells up to 25 lbs only, no barbells).

I actually look toned now instead of a flat stick. Looking forward to joining Fit-GAF! I'll probably have many questions later so I apologize in advance.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Do what must be done Mikey!

____

So I finally joined a gym with decent free-weights. I've been doing some body weight exercises to start for a few months and then went on to using a friend's apartment gym access to see if I have the commitment for fitness. Well it's been a success so far and I'm seeing some pretty good beginner's gains but I feel like I have outgrown the apartment gym (dumbbells up to 25 lbs only, no barbells).

I actually look toned now instead of a flat stick. Looking forward to joining Fit-GAF! I'll probably have many questions later so I apologize in advance.

We've all been there. Welcome!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Guys, I've been slacking off like crazy the past few weeks when it comes to my diet. Not only have I been not eating at my proper level but I've also become super lazy and increased the fast/frozen food content and I think it's time to stop.

Y'all got any good websites/youtube channels that offer healthy, high calorie foods/recipes?

Fox318

Holy shit how is it I just found out about the 45 oz blender bottle.

Perfect water bottle that doesn't make me look like a gorilla at work with my gallon jug.

Man, my cycling power output is fuuuuuucked. Second day of the Tour of Sufferlandria and I got destroyed by it. Keeping this up whilst still doing weights is going to be hell.

Am ramping my calorie intake up crazy high, I just need to get some sleep from somewhere.

Teggy

Man, my cycling power output is fuuuuuucked. Second day of the Tour of Sufferlandria and I got destroyed by it. Keeping this up whilst still doing weights is going to be hell.

Am ramping my calorie intake up crazy high, I just need to get some sleep from somewhere.

I watched one of these videos and didn't quite get it - what does "effort" and "cadence" translate to? Are these settings on the exercise bike?

Teggy

Guys, I've been slacking off like crazy the past few weeks when it comes to my diet. Not only have I been not eating at my proper level but I've also become super lazy and increased the fast/frozen food content and I think it's time to stop.

Y'all got any good websites/youtube channels that offer healthy, high calorie foods/recipes?

Posted this a few days back if it is of any use.

I think we're long overdue for some recipe talk in here. I have tried a lot of recipes and have settled on a few that I can eat over and over without getting bored, but I'm always looking for more. I'm also not a big fan of spending a lot of time in the kitchen, so I tend towards things that are easy to make.

I've gone through a bunch of recipes from https://theproteinchef.co and have some favorites. I find that his meals and oatmeals are his best ideas. I've tried some of the cakes but they have always come out dry and stiff. There's plenty I haven't tried though. My favorites of his so far are

Meatloaf (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0SOixatsZ4) - I love meatloaf so this was a great find for me. I actually use seasoned breadcrumbs and no other seasonings in the recipe because I found that his recipe was way too garlicky for my taste. I also use barbecue sauce instead of tomato sauce on top. It just needs a thin layer which keeps the sugar down and it tastes great.

Chicken parm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D4uMKxLDT0) - Super easy and tastes great.

Chili (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNA0Ri17QwE) - I make it with ground turkey instead of chicken pieces. I make this less often simply because it's a bit of a pain to drag out the crock pot and clean it when I'm done.

I have tried a bunch of his chicken nuggets/popcorn chicken/etc. While these taste great out of the oven, the only problem is that they don't taste nearly as good warmed up or microwaved because they lose all of their crunch.

Recently I found http://fitmencook.com. There are a ton of great recipes on there and I've started trying out. Something that went immediately into my rotation is

Loaded Tex Mex Wrap (http://fitmencook.com/loaded-tex-mex-wrap/) - I made this easy for my self my cubing the chicken and seasoning while sautéing it, as well as combining the leftover avocado and salsa. When I'm ready to make it I just put 4 tablespoons of avocado mixture, 2 tablespoons of beans, 2 tablespoons of corn and 5 oz. of precooked chicken in a plastic bowl in the microwave for 1 minute or so and then dump it on my wrap. Done.

I've tried the "guiltless fried chicken" (http://fitmencook.com/guiltless-fried-chicken/), but this kind of suffers from the same reheating problem as the Protein Chef stuff.

I've only scratched the surface of this site, though and l'm looking forward to their other ideas.

Another thing I love is fish, and a little quick improvisation I made is a simple baked "fried" tilapia. I buy bags of frozen tilapia filets which are about 4oz each and defrost 2, which happens quickly because they are thin (within an hour usually so I can take them out before I leave for the gym, for example). Some egg white from a carton and cover them with seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs and you get a nice crispy outside.

Another thing I'll make is a kind of makeshift jambalaya. I take a chicken sausage link, and a serving of cooked frozen shrimp and heat them up. Then I drop in half a package of Uncle Ben's 90 second brown rice and about half a cup of Newman's black bean and corn salsa and mix it around. Super quick.

Oh, I also eat this a lot for breakfast - French Broast. Took me a while to perfect it, but mostly it's a matter of using the right amount of cinnamon for flavor and learning to cook it so it slides out of the pan. I use some Pepperidge Farms light bread to keep the carbs at a reasonable level and don't add any extra sweeter because the syrup handles that fine.

I watched one of these videos and didn't quite get it - what does "effort" and "cadence" translate to? Are these settings on the exercise bike?

Well, effort is the standard rating of perceived exertion stuff. They usually do a humorous take on it at the start of the vid.

HBPszpI.png

Most people doing them use power meters or virtual power though, so you're actually aiming for a particular power output based on the theoretical max you can output over an hour (called FTP).

Cadence is more simple, it's the number of revolutions your pedals make in a minute.

These aren't generally done on exercise bikes, more normal bikes that have been bolted to turbo trainers or thrown on rollers. The videos in particular are ridiculously hard, and the Tour of Sufferlandria involves doing one or more a day (today was two) for nine days. Today's were simple, flat out for a minute (pushing max heart rate), recover for a minute... for about an hour (and half an hour more covering warmup / cooldown).

I started exercising at home and it's so much better than going to a gym. But from what I can see weights are way too expensive, especially considering I will have to be buying havier ones often. Damn, guess I will have to go back to suffering in public.

For me, the space between my 2 feet is about the width of my one foot.

Interesting, I'll give it a shot next Deadlift session and report back. I've definitely felt more hammy and glute activation now that I watched the vid in the OP and adjusted some things but I still think I'm using too much lower back when it gets heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom