• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Oh shit. One of the better broscience vids in a while. That was great. Deadlifts, some people say they are for back day, some people say they are for leg day. I say they are for another day. lol

Seems to be similar to what happened to me. I was doing a crapload of circuits, 5-6 days a week, even on leg days, where I was running in between lifting sets.

My legs couldn't handle it and had almost no time to recover, especially since I would do a long run on the weekend.

Lesson learned I guess... Why can't I just be invincible?

time to save up for bionic legs.

Szu

Lol it's been in my head since the bionic legs comment

It's like we have the same warped sense of humor.

I remember went you mentioned your wife's back fusion and we were both kinda bummed that she didn't set off metal detectors.

blackflag

Look what I won

ZHGvtqvl.jpg

Awwww yeah.

1 quest peanut butter protein powder 2.5 lb
1 box assorted quest bars plus 6 additional loose bars with the newer bars
1 package quest peanut butter cup shake
3 bags of chips
1 medium (LOL) shirt
1 quest shaker
Some random wrist bands, stickers, and neck thing
A pretty awesome high quality quest cook book. Never seen this before.

BumRush

Look what I won

Awwww yeah.

3 bags of chips
1 medium (LOL) shirt
1 quest shaker

Nice! Total value of that thing is like $10,000, given how expensive Quest shit it. Very nice!!

Chocobro

Look what I won

Awwww yeah.

3 bags of chips
1 medium (LOL) shirt
1 quest shaker

How did you win it? Can I have the shirt? :D

Look what I won

Awwww yeah.

3 bags of chips
1 medium (LOL) shirt
1 quest shaker

you're sharing this with all of us right?

mdsfx

I remember went you mentioned your wife's back fusion and we were both kinda bummed that she didn't set off metal detectors.

My wife has fused discs? When were you going to tell me?!

(I think that was someone else)

blackflag

How did you win it? Can I have the shirt? :D

It was a raffle at a local store. They signed an exclusive deal with quest to carry the mint chocolate quest bar here and had an event. Buy a tub of quest protein powder on sale and get a goodie bag plus get entered for the raffle that I won.

It was a good deal. 25 for the protein. A free good quality shaker, quest bar, and i cant remember maybe it was a bag of chips.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Argggggggggggggggh

So I did my weekly weighing today and I was pretty happy once I saw my scale say I was at 160.4 lbs. (last week was at 157.8).

However, I was wearing my sweatpants when i did that, and while I didn't think it would make much difference, I decided to confirm anyway, and to my unfortunate surprise, I went all the way down to 158.4 lbs. So yes, the fricken sweats alone were 2 fricken pounds!

mdsfx

I'm supposed to be cutting. I've done great today. For some reason though, my wife decided she really felt like Red Robin. And I haven't made any smart choices tonight. I'm staring at a 1000 calorie cheeseburger. This will also be followed up by a handful of drinks I'm sure. do I just not eat tomorrow? Forget about going back in time and making the right decisions. It's too late to turn back now.

Edit: all is not lost. Cut the beast in half. Still under my calorie target! Oh, my wife bought me a bottle of Don Julio...

Save yourselves.

Szu

I'm supposed to be cutting. I've done great today. For some reason though, my wife decided she really felt like Red Robin. And I haven't made any smart choices tonight. I'm staring at a 1000 calorie cheeseburger. This will also be followed up by a handful of drinks I'm sure. do I just not eat tomorrow? Forget about going back in time and making the right decisions. It's too late to turn back now.

Go back to your regular diet schedule.

Oh yeah, the member with the bionic wife was mkenyon.

Argggggggggggggggh

So I did my weekly weighing today and I was pretty happy once I saw my scale say I was at 160.4 lbs. (last week was at 157.8).

However, I was wearing my sweatpants when i did that, and while I didn't think it would make much difference, I decided to confirm anyway, and to my unfortunate surprise, I went all the way down to 158.4 lbs. So yes, the fricken sweats alone were 2 fricken pounds!

3lb in a week is arguably too much anyway. Unless you're drug assisted, that would be mostly fat.

mdsfx

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I bought a mountain of running shoes recently to find something new and ended up buying the wrong size in the Brooks Ghost 7 (10.5 US, D/M, Blue) on ebay and can't return them. If you're interested, I'm willing to take a sizable hit on them for a fellow GAFer who could use them. This is a neutral shoe with a 12mm heel offset (great for long runs if you are a heel-striker). Brand new, never used with box. Retail for 100+ ($60?).

Edit: I know this isnt the sale thread, but I posted it at this price as more of a favor. Will happily delete this post if you guys object.

xCs0sXN.jpg

Ventara

So guys, I'm having frozen pizza for dinner (my workout allowed me another 450 calories to eat, though I'm still over on fat), and I noticed that 2 whole frozen chicken pizzas pretty much matches my calorie and carb/fat/protein intake. I know it probably is, but just to make sure; eating 2 whole frozen pizzas to meet your food intake for the day is a bad idea, right?

BumRush

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I bought a mountain of running shoes recently to find something new and ended up buying the wrong size in the Brooks Ghost 7 (10.5 US, D/M, Blue) on ebay and can't return them. If you're interested, I'm willing to take a sizable hit on them for a fellow GAFer who could use them. This is a neutral shoe with a 12mm heel offset (great for long runs if you are a heel-striker). Brand new, never used with box. Retail for 100+ ($60?).

Edit: I know this isnt the sale thread, but I posted it at this price as more of a favor. Will happily delete this post if you guys object.

xCs0sXN.jpg

You're a good dude. And please, don't offer to take it down, you'll help someone out for sure.

BumRush

So guys, I'm having frozen pizza for dinner (my workout allowed me another 450 calories to eat, though I'm still over on fat), and I noticed that 2 whole frozen chicken pizzas pretty much matches my calorie and carb/fat/protein intake. I know it probably is, but just to make sure; eating 2 whole frozen pizzas to meet your food intake for the day is a bad idea, right?

It's not a great idea. Simple carbs like white bread pizza aren't great. But again, focus on calories in for the beginning.

mdsfx

Ugh... well I'm still small as shit at 155 and I'm not as cut as I want to be, but I have one little thing going for me... NEW VEINS! :)

IGu4vvk.jpg

Also couldn't flex my abs hardly at all today since they were exhausted!

Cooter

This is only my opinion but if you get any leaner you will look worse mdsfx. You look like many people's long-term goal right now.

mdsfx

I have a new PL gym. This place has it all platforms, prowlers, deadlift bars and Texas bars.

Also, back on 5/3/1 here is main set and a joker set.

450x6 and 475x5.

http://youtu.be/OVVONQSoDII[url][/Q...at a sweet looking gym. Is that close to you?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ugh... well I'm still small as shit at 155 and I'm not as cut as I want to be, but I have one little thing going for me... NEW VEINS! :)

IGu4vvk.jpg

Also couldn't flex my abs hardly at all today since they were exhausted!

...what the hell is wrong with you?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Joker set?

Edit: Jesus... Just watched that. Nice work! Love seeing a bar bend (im not quite there yet!)

It's only bending like that because it's a a deadlift bar. Usually to get a bend like that I need near 600 on a regular bar.

And joker sets are +5% increments in addition to the amrap/pr set on 5/3/1. It's part of the beyond 5/3/1 outline.

And yeah, this gym is 20 min from me. My strongman gym is an hour away.

mdsfx

This is only my opinion but if you get any leaner you will look worse mdsfx. You look like many people's long-term goal right now.

...what the hell is wrong with you?
My goal for the summer was to try to get down to 6-7% BF. I keep hovering around upper 8%-10% I just wanted to see if I could do it before bulking in the late summer. I'm not sure that I'm capable based on my diet and workout regimen and I don't want to do anything unhealthy with sodium/water manipulation. I have admittedly not done enough research.

Cooter

My goal for the summer was to try to get down to 6-7% BF. I keep hovering around upper 8%-10% I just wanted to see if I could do it before bulking in the late summer. I'm not sure that I'm capable based on my diet and workout regimen and I don't want to do anything unhealthy with sodium/water manipulation. I have admittedly not done enough research.

You're definitely not 10% right now. I'd say it's possible you are 7 or 8. Regardless, you look great. Nice work!

____

Brolic. I can tell you've leaned out. What kind of bizzaro world are we living in? You're cutting and buying prework out drinks. Still trying to wrap mind around this reality shift.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You're definitely not 10% right now. I'd say it's possible you are 7 or 8. Regardless, you look great. Nice work!

____

Brolic. I can tell you've leaned out. What kind of bizzaro world are we living in? You're cutting and buying prework out drinks. Still trying to wrap mind around this reality shift.

Thanks man, and you're telling me, shits changing.

Much appreciated :)

He's right, youve got blinders on. The only thing you should/could do at this point is gain mass, leaner would be detrimental IMO.

mdsfx

He's right, youve got blinders on. The only thing you should/could do at this point is gain mass, leaner would be detrimental IMO.
I appreciate the honest feedback. I will have to think about this a bit. Im always worried that I'm too easily swayed by other people's opinions. Still think I might try to hit my goal for shits. It's just a challenge I guess. It's not like I think I've got excess fat or anything. Hell, you should see some of the guys I run with. Given they are smaller, but holy crap are they lean (and fast!).

ILoveBish

You are not 10% lol, you're pretty much 6-7% or so. Main thing now is to do a very slow gain so you remain lean the whole way up while slowly building mass. I really do not like dreamer bulks. I would do 300-400 calories more then your baseline calories and go from there.

mdsfx

You are not 10% lol, you're pretty much 6-7% or so. Main thing now is to do a very slow gain so you remain lean the whole way up while slowly building mass. I really do not like dreamer bulks. I would do 300-400 calories more then your baseline calories and go from there.

Thanks for the advice. Guess I could see what happens with a clean caloric surplus.

Is it advisable to bulk while maintaining a low-carb diet or no? Also, what's a dreamer bulk?

Bowser

Thanks for the advice. Guess I could see what happens with a clean caloric surplus.

Is it advisable to bulk while maintaining a low-carb diet or no? Also, what's a dreamer bulk?

Dreamer Bulk = Dirty Bulk = See Food diet = eat anything and everything your heart desires

As for bulking on a low carb diet, I suppose it's possible, but not sure why you'd want to. Carbs are pretty beneficial in terms of bulking. Think it will help you lift more weight for sure.

ILoveBish

As explained above, its where you eat taco bell and dont even consider the consequences! A clean surplus is a great idea, just make sure you're hitting the gym hard and making it count. Go heavier and heavier, you'll find with a surplus you'll have it in you. Low carb is fine, but its a lot easier to bulk with carbs obviously.

Only one real reply to my post, sad days.

We love you anyway broseph.

mdsfx

It happens man, my competition posts didn't get near the traffic I thought they would. Don't base self worth off of forum posts/reaction. You know you look good.
I specifically remember staring at his leg shot thinking "are each of those 2 of my legs or 3?" It's funny because I meant to post a reaction, but his legs are so f*cking huge that I spent that time thinking about what I could do to get bigger legs and forgot to post anything at all.

At one point I even considered posting a shot of my legs from the same angle, just as a joke to show how big his are in comparison. Then insecurity hit again and there I was reviewing my plan for building my legs again lol

Edit: and Brolic, I watched your competition vids several times over and I'm SURE I'm not the only one. Don't ever measure success or other people's interest by post count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom