• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
My goal for the summer was to try to get down to 6-7% BF. I keep hovering around upper 8%-10% I just wanted to see if I could do it before bulking in the late summer. I'm not sure that I'm capable based on my diet and workout regimen and I don't want to do anything unhealthy with sodium/water manipulation. I have admittedly not done enough research.

You have the body of a god almost. How long have you been lifting, out of curiosity?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
~1950 calories
225g p
80 c
85 f

That wasn't easy to do. Probably the optimal cut day for me.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I should probably subscribe to this, although, I don't even know where to start.
Well you can either edit your user settings to automatically subscribe to any thread you post in, or you can click the subscribe button at the top of the page.

On an unrelated note, if you're looking for some introductory fitness advice, the first post of this thread has some quite helpful resources.

ILoveBish

Went fishing and got home around 2am. Still not tired sadly. Gonna take a melatonin and hope it helps. I slow cooked a 7lb corned beef brisket for 7 hours in the oven, that is for guests coming tomorrow and myself. Looks amazing.

Should probably start looking into relaxation techniques. I used to suffer loads with not being able to sleep, but there are things you can do that help. This also includes tensing and relaxing your muscles one by one, which I guess most of us here would like anyway. :p

Also, mdsfx looking fucking great. I hate you so much! \o/

mdsfx

How long have you been lifting, out of curiosity?
Thanks for the compliment, but I think the 'god' comment is kind of laughable.

I'm not one to emulate at all. It's taken me forever to make minimal progress due to not being serious enough with my diet. Diet is everything and it's something I ignored for years.

I lifted in high school for a while, then picked it back up a bit in college, but I wasn't serious enough until starting the Stronglifts 5x5 program about 2 years ago.

My numbers aren't impressive or balanced either. My lower body and core are still weaker than they should be by miles. One rep maxes:

Flat bench: 230
Overhead press: 160
Squat: 250
Deadlift: 280

Yeah... A lot of work to do :(

Alright, my fourth week of cutting is almost over and still have four more weeks left. So far I'm pretty satisfied with my results. First of all, my weight is down ca 6,6 lb so still on track to lose at least 12 lb in 8 weeks. Haven't lost that much weight this week but I've had a few more cheat meals than I would have hoped and I have also slightly upped my carb intake so not that surprised that my weight loss has slowed down a bit this week. Well, despite that I was 102,5 kg (226 lb) this morning which is probably the lowest I've been in 1,5 years so gotta be happy about that. In addition to that, my 4K run time has dropped over 7 minutes, my blood pressure is down to 125/79 (was +140/90 a month ago) and just feel healthier in overall.

Had a really good bench day today too. When I started my cut, my bench stalled at three sets of five with 110 kg (242,5 lb) but today all sets felt stronger and managed to do 6 reps in my last set. Might have been able to hit 7 reps but didn't want to risk it without a spotter. My bench is still probably 10 lb down from my PR days but I'm weighing over 20 lb less now so can't complain that much. Looking forward to see what my 1RM's are at the end of this cut.

McLovin

I was doing carb backloading for a while but started messing up eating carbs all the time. It seems I just can't do carbs, even in that scenario. So last wednesday I started keto again, but this time I did Intermittent Fasting with Bulletproof coffee(Coffee with MTC oil and some butter) for breakfast and lunch, then I eat keto food from 5-10 with a protein shake or two to get my macros right. I also started working out fasted. Results are kind of nuts. First I lose 1lb, then another, then 2lbs friday, and today I look and I lost another 3. You would think I was hungry or weak but that coffee keeps me satisfied and I'm still strong in the gym. For some reason that MTC oil gives me a ton of energy.

don't know if you guys seen the latest broscience

4QSrWPQ.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5GIJmCwchk

so fucking good
Me and a buddy of mine checked out that gym earlier this week, Barbell Brigade in Downtown Los Angeles. Great facility with squat racks and deadlift platforms galore but kinda out of the way from my place. Even though we were like the ones lifting the lightest weight in the gym (lol) it's an inspiring place for you to work out as well as you can when you see everyone else around you doing the same...especially when you see peeps going for 600+ lb squat 1RMs often.

It's also a pretty friendly, welcoming, sociable place too. I met the dude at the front desk in the video...he's pretty cool.

That said, it's a fairly young crowd there. Like Chris Rock says, you don't want to be the old guy at the club. I ain't really old, just a little too old to be in the club, yo. lol.

SBD knee sleeves arrived. Certainly does look like they'd make great shin protectors for deadlifting too.

Going to take a while to get used to them when squatting though. The pressure at the back of the knee is strange.

BumRush

Spirit, you're honestly one of the major reasons I started getting into lifting seriously, back in |OT3| or so...you and Brolic (you motivated with encouragement, Brolic with bluntness...both extremely effective to me). I wouldn't be where I am strength-wise, aesthetics-wise and...honestly...health-wise, and where I am - although not perfect - blows me (and my wife) away to this day!

As for your pictures...you look amazing. Your legs are the stuff of legend. Keep it up man!

BumRush

Thanks for the compliment, but I think the 'god' comment is kind of laughable.

I'm not one to emulate at all. It's taken me forever to make minimal progress due to not being serious enough with my diet. Diet is everything and it's something I ignored for years.

I lifted in high school for a while, then picked it back up a bit in college, but I wasn't serious enough until starting the Stronglifts 5x5 program about 2 years ago.

My numbers aren't impressive or balanced either. My lower body and core are still weaker than they should be by miles. One rep maxes:

Flat bench: 230
Overhead press: 160
Squat: 250
Deadlift: 280

Yeah... A lot of work to do :(

Your OHP is super impressive at your size / body fat. You look awesome man, constantly pushing me to keep up.

Azulsky

SBD knee sleeves arrived. Certainly does look like they'd make great shin protectors for deadlifting too.

Going to take a while to get used to them when squatting though. The pressure at the back of the knee is strange.

Know what you mean. I have been taking my time getting used to my Rehbands

We love you anyway broseph.

Are you talking about the picture of the tree trunks you posted? Because this is a fitness/lifting forum. The Arboretum forum is thataway>

It happens man, my competition posts didn't get near the traffic I thought they would. Don't base self worth off of forum posts/reaction. You know you look good.

i read everyone's posts and stay mirin silently

I specifically remember staring at his leg shot thinking "are each of those 2 of my legs or 3?" It's funny because I meant to post a reaction, but his legs are so f*cking huge that I spent that time thinking about what I could do to get bigger legs and forgot to post anything at all.

At one point I even considered posting a shot of my legs from the same angle, just as a joke to show how big his are in comparison. Then insecurity hit again and there I was reviewing my plan for building my legs again lol

Edit: and Brolic, I watched your competition vids several times over and I'm SURE I'm not the only one. Don't ever measure success or other people's interest by post count.

We love you and your E Honda legs Darth! You know dis!

Hah thanks guys. I wrote that post as I was falling asleep, sorry. It doesn't bother me not getting replied to, lol. However I'm glad I did post because it's nice to come back to so many awesome posts. Good way to start the day.

Also mdsfx you look insane man, don't sell yourself short at all!

Hah thanks guys. I wrote that post as I was falling asleep, sorry. It doesn't bother me not getting replied to, lol. However I'm glad I did post because it's nice to come back to so many awesome posts. Good way to start the day.

Wait, Spirit is Darth?

Stop changing your names yo!

BumRush

Haha you missed the one where I told you that you inspired me to start lifting!! No bigger compliment than that, man!

Spirit, you're honestly one of the major reasons I started getting into lifting seriously, back in |OT3| or so...you and Brolic (you motivated with encouragement, Brolic with bluntness...both extremely effective to me). I wouldn't be where I am strength-wise, aesthetics-wise and...honestly...health-wise, and where I am - although not perfect - blows me (and my wife) away to this day!

As for your pictures...you look amazing. Your legs are the stuff of legend. Keep it up man!
Now this gave me goosebumps, mister. That's what I live for. I hate to parrot what I say on my IG/Facebook, but what motivates me more than anything is knowing that I can inspire and motivate others to reach their goals. I haven't accomplished anything if I haven't passed on my success to another. So it really touches my heart to read that. I'm glad I could help you out in any way.

You've done great. Heck, you've come a long way. Definitely be proud of everything you've accomplished. You're the one motivating me now!

Haha you missed the one where I told you that you inspired me to start lifting!! No bigger compliment than that, man!
I did. :( Not sure how, may have been using an old thread. Sorry, but I hope this makes up for it. :p

Wait, Spirit is Darth?

Stop changing your names yo!
Hey! I've been like this for a couple months now!

BumRush

Now this gave me goosebumps, mister. That's what I live for. I hate to parrot what I say on my IG/Facebook, but what motivates me more than anything is knowing that I can inspire and motivate others to reach their goals. I haven't accomplished anything if I haven't passed on my success to another. So it really touches my heart to read that. I'm glad I could help you out in any way.

You've done great. Heck, you've come a long way. Definitely be proud of everything you've accomplished. You're the one motivating me now!

I did. :( Not sure how, may have been using an old thread. Sorry, but I hope this makes up for it. :p

Hey! I've been like this for a couple months now!

I'm sure you've done it to countless others too, man.

I remember when I first saw your quads I thought you were applying that iPhone distort filter to them...fucking massive.

/man crush

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Us noobs have it worse really, people barely reply to our posts especially if we don't post that much in the thread.
But one thing for sure, all of the noobs are silently mirin at you.

Indeed, fitness lurkers unite!

We'll quietly achieve our gains.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So much muscle shaming in that beach body thread again

Has six pack and great body he worked hard to get? Must be a douche, cunt, jerk, roid rager, mean person, fat shaming, america hating, nazi, and a terrorist.

/s

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Has six pack and great body he worked hard to get? Must be a douche, cunt, jerk, roid rager, mean person, fat shaming, america hating, nazi, and a terrorist.

/s

When I was applying for promotions outside of custody in the prison I kept hearing ? Really? You? You know that's a desk job right? Paperwork, etc. "You just don't look like a desk job guy." Really got a huge "dumb meathead" vibe from it all.

People judge you off appearance. Most didn't even know I have a bachelors degree, let alone a "high" GPA.

mdsfx

Really got a huge "dumb meathead" vibe from it all.

People judge you off appearance. Most didn't even know I have a bachelors degree, let alone a "high" GPA.
Yeah that's pretty lame, but the unfortunate thing is we all do that to some extent. Is not a good thing and our judgments based on appearance are usually very far from the truth.

BumRush

When I was applying for promotions outside of custody in the prison I kept hearing ? Really? You? You know that's a desk job right? Paperwork, etc. "You just don't look like a desk job guy." Really got a huge "dumb meathead" vibe from it all.

Haha fuck 'em. YOU got the job.

I was actually wondering if your willingness to push so hard to improve your physique won you points with the higher ups. I think I'd be impressed. For me it would be like one of my employees doing a bunch of certs etc and training off their own back.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah that's pretty lame, but the unfortunate thing is we all do that to some extent. Is not a good thing and our judgments based on appearance are usually very far from the truth.

True enough.

Haha fuck 'em. YOU got the job.

Hell yeah I did!

I was actually wondering if your willingness to push so hard to improve your physique won you points with the higher ups. I think I'd be impressed. For me it would be like one of my employees doing a bunch of certs etc and training off their own back.

Actually, what got me the job aside from college was my positive attitude and hard work ethic. The Warden told me I'm generally well liked by everyone and the LTs all had universally good things to say about me.

I'm also on 3 "extra" collateral duties. The DCT (disturbance control team, we do forced cell moves, riot stuff, etc), the reentry council (we work to make transitioning to free life for inmates easier), and the employee engagement team (we work to improve staff morale). All of those probably help too.

Actually, what got me the job aside from college was my positive attitude and hard work ethic. The Warden told me I'm generally well liked by everyone and the LTs all had universally good things to say about me.

I'm also on 3 "extra" collateral duties. The DCT (disturbance control team, we do forced cell moves, riot stuff, etc), the reentry council (we work to make transitioning to free life for inmates easier), and the employee engagement team (we work to improve staff morale). All of those probably help too.

Good stuff.

mdsfx

Was it a "bad idea" to photoshop this and drop it into that thread? :)

SIde note - Chris Farley was the fucking shit. Miss that dude :(

9EICKXr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom