• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with that dude's left trap in that other thread? It's not just a little bigger, it's significantly bigger.

Edit - Actually now I look again, he looks a bit uneven. Maybe leaning a bit? Boy needs to work on his posing. ;)

BumRush

True enough.

Hell yeah I did!

Actually, what got me the job aside from college was my positive attitude and hard work ethic. The Warden told me I'm generally well liked by everyone and the LTs all had universally good things to say about me.

I'm also on 3 "extra" collateral duties. The DCT (disturbance control team, we do forced cell moves, riot stuff, etc), the reentry council (we work to make transitioning to free life for inmates easier), and the employee engagement team (we work to improve staff morale). All of those probably help too.

DCT sounds nuts...

Azulsky

What's up with that dude's left trap in that other thread? It's not just a little bigger, it's significantly bigger.

Edit - Actually now I look again, he looks a bit uneven. Maybe leaning a bit? Boy needs to work on his posing. ;)

Could be an injury or he just leans that way.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
My body's weird. Since losing 10lbs (cut) my squat's gone up from 205x5 to 220x3.

Fucking stoked. Never thought I'd be squatting near two plates.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My body's weird. Since losing 10lbs (cut) my squat's gone up from 205x5 to 220x3.

Fucking stoked. Never thought I'd be squatting near two plates.
I'm not trying to discount your hard work Boogie but I'm not sure your squat actually went up. Yes you increased 15lbs but you dropped 2 reps. You probably could have done 220x3 in the past while you focused on 205x5.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm not trying to discount your hard work Boogie but I'm not sure your squat actually went up. Yes you increased 15lbs but you dropped 2 reps. You probably could have done 220x3 in the past while you focused on 205x5.

Well, I'm doing Madcow, so my last workout had me do three reps. My next workout will have me do 220x5.

Even still, I previously managed 215x5 before going on to 220x3, which is still considerably higher (for me) than 205 at the time I did that (and again I was 10lbs heavier).

I'm more surprised I haven't lost much strength, to be honest.

Well, I'm doing Madcow, so my last workout had me do three reps. My next workout will have me do 220x5.

Even still, I previously managed 215x5 before going on to 220x3, which is still considerably higher (for me) than 205 at the time I did that (and again I was 10lbs heavier).

Well, when you squat you're squatting your bodyweight too, if you take ten pounds off your body and put it on the bar--

you're squatting everything above your waist at the very least I would think

if you weren't, body weight squats would offer nothing useful.

Yeah, pretty much just above the hips. I guess probably over half their body weight for most people.

Yeah but lost weight isn't just fat. Losing muscle makes it harder to squat.

Should still be losing more fat than muscle though, else pullups wouldn't get easier.

BumRush

Yeah, pretty much just above the hips. I guess probably over half their body weight for most people.

Should still be losing more fat than muscle though, else pullups wouldn't get easier.

Yeah I'll obviously take your word for it, I just know that when I cut my squat doesn't just naturally sky rocket

mdsfx

Look at it this way: no matter what the magic/truth is behind it, you are able to put more weight on the bar today vs what you could previously. Seems to me like I would be celebrating :)

Yeah I'll obviously take your word for it, I just know that when I cut my squat doesn't just naturally sky rocket

Rocket? You're talking about a few extra kg or a rep or two in reality. Not exactly the sort of numbers you'd really notice too much in a squat.

Ventara

Hey guys, so I slept in today until 3 PM (don't judge me) and I'm wondering if I should still eat my 2150 calories. I've already eaten 1500 and I feel like that's enough.

I wouldn't mess with it on a day to day basis like that. Stick to a plan, see how you're progressing, and then modify over the weeks and months ahead.

Besides, I'm assuming it's not like you're going to be able to sleep at a normal time. If so, congrats.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well, this is interesting. Perhaps my fat loss is helping my events. Not sure yet. Sandbag loading felt easier than it's ever felt, even after deadlifting last night. Hmmmm

Ventara

I wouldn't mess with it on a day to day basis like that. Stick to a plan, see how you're progressing, and then modify over the weeks and months ahead.

Besides, I'm assuming it's not like you're going to be able to sleep at a normal time. If so, congrats.

Alright, I'll go ahead and eat the rest of my calories, Thanks!

FitGAFfers on Starting Strength: in your opinion, how important are power cleans to you in your training overall? I'm hearing from many doing SS that realistically most people skip them and replace them with either more deadlifts or bent-over rows. I even talked to a certified SS coach that has a gym just down the street from my place and he even says not to be too concerned with them if general overall fitness and health is your primary goal. He says it's more a specialized lift for people that need the explosion for the sport they play or compete in.

That said, I hate them myself, currently at 5x3 at 120 (had some 'OH SH!T' moments on my 4th and 5th sets though =P). I'll be happy if I can ever get to 135, and just stop there. lol.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I'm cutting weight like crazy at 1850 calories a day. Went from 182 to 175 in the past week or so.

Today I realized I need to drop my squat though. Might be just that I was fasted and had no energy, but I don't think so.

And GamePnoy I love doing the Power Cleans. Something about doing them makes me feel healthier and powerful. Don't stop at 135 in my opinion. I think they've made my traps bigger.

mdsfx

I've only done cleans a handful of times. They are fun, but explosive lifts like that scare the crap out of me. I would never even attempt a snatch or whatever. I can't help but feel like things could go wrong so quickly/easily.

mdsfx

That's way too fast for anyone that isn't obese... and I'm guessing you're not obese.

I was trying to figure out how someone of his size could even lose weight that fast. 1 pound per day? That's a deficit of 3500 calories a day. I would have to eat nothing and still get a hell of a cardio workout in to do that lol

I've only done cleans a handful of times. They are fun, but explosive lifts like that scare the crap out of me. I would never even attempt a snatch or whatever. I can't help but feel like things could go wrong so quickly/easily.
I hear ya....unless oly lifts are your thing I wouldn't do snatches or C&Js myself just for the sake of exercise and general health. (I occasionally try C&Js with just the bar, though. lol)

I don't know how CrossFitters do oly lifts for speed and reps. The idea just baffles me.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I was trying to figure out how someone of his size could even lose weight that fast. 1 pound per day? That's a deficit of 3500 calories a day. I would have to eat nothing and still get a hell of a cardio workout in to do that lol

I don't know what to tell you guys. I weighed in at 182 on May 25th and got 175.5 today.

I walk three miles a day on work days and add two more when I go to the gym. I was surprised too didn't seem right. Same scale and everything.

J. Bravo

That's way too fast for anyone that isn't obese... and I'm guessing you're not obese.
It's probably partial water weight. And everyone is different. When I track my diet and eat right, I get cut insanely fast. Like, 15-20% down to 8-10% in 3, 4 weeks tops.

Then again, I'm 23, male, have an active job, lift 4-6x a week, and play basketball 3-5x a week. Also not very big to begin with at only 185ish.

Edit: Oh and I sleep a fuckton. And don't drink as much anymore.

I guess you could build up a significant quantity of water weight and lose that. I've lost a kg (2.2lbs) in a day that way, and more from 10hr+ endurance events. But you probably wouldn't through normal exercise.

Thinking about it, it's more likely that something was off with the last weigh in as you're right, it's a very unusual drop for a week.

Then again, I'm 23, male, have an active job, lift 4-6x a week, and play basketball 3-5x a week. Also not very big to begin with at only 185ish.

In reality, a (very) active job could add thousands of calories a day to your burn total... so I wouldn't be massively surprised.

Also, where the hell do you get time to lift 5x a week, play basketball 4x a week and work? I'm envious.

mdsfx

I don't know what to tell you guys. I weighed in at 182 on May 25th and got 175.5 today.

I walk three miles a day on work days and add two more when I go to the gym. I was surprised too didn't seem right. Same scale and everything.
Oh I wasn't questioning your honesty, just surprised at how fast you are dropping!

Cross country mountain biking. I've got a 24-36 hour one planned for October if I can sort out these IT band problems.

Time is depending on how fast I end up going (and if I decide to try and sleep or not).

Edit - I'm a very different bear to most of the fitness thread. I still lift, but for a very different end result. ;)

J. Bravo

I guess you could build up a significant quantity of water weight and lose that. I've lost a kg (2.2lbs) in a day that way, and more from 10hr+ endurance events. But you probably wouldn't through normal exercise.

Thinking about it, it's more likely that something was off with the last weigh in as you're right, it's a very unusual drop for a week.

In reality, a (very) active job could add thousands of calories a day to your burn total... so I wouldn't be massively surprised.

Also, where the hell do you get time to lift 5x a week, play basketball 4x a week and work? I'm envious.
I work at Quiktrip and while I haven't tracked my steps, I'd bet I take 15k at least per shift. And I work at least 4 of those a week.

As for time. Haha. IDK. That's all I do. I work full time and party on the weekends, but I'm single. So I have lots of free time.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member

I did take a massive shit this morning and was fasted. Regardless I'm down at least 25 pounds from my heaviest, so I'm very pleased.

mdsfx

Cross country mountain biking. I've got a 24-36 hour one planned for October if I can sort out these IT band problems.

Time is depending on how fast I end up going (and if I decide to try and sleep or not).
That... Sounds... Awesome. I love trail riding (have a custom Kona hardtail I built myself), but my ass hurts after just an hour of riding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom