• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flight Sim 2024: The Many Enhancements That Make This the Most Ambitious Flight Sim Ever

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/09/19/microsoft-flight-simulator-2024-preview/
(...more at link)

2020’s Microsoft Flight Simulator was by far the most successful entry in Microsoft’s longest supported franchise. It redefined what was possible from a flight simulator by utilizing a mix of cloud-based worldwide map data, cutting-edge photogrammetry, machine learning techniques, and a real-time worldwide weather simulation. These offerings, along with a complex physics system that allowed for highly sophisticated flight models, all made the famous franchise a household name again.

One of the features I’m most excited to see come to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 (MSFS 2024) is its Career System, designed to bring a comprehensive and immersive experience for all manner of piloting skills. The system cleverly mimics the experience of how real-world pilots start their aviation careers. “You can pick any single airport on the planet and start your career there, which means that you are going to take your lessons at this location. Your first job can be anywhere, and I mean anywhere, in the world,” explains CCO of Asobo Studio David Dedeine. “You will start as a rookie pilot and meet a mentor who will explain to you how the career works and guide you through the very first steps in the career.”

Completing these missions successfully nets you credits and reputation, which you can then use to save up and buy your own plane and eventually manage your own fleet.”

Once you have earned enough money to run your business with your personally-owned aircraft, a new phase in MSFS 2024 opens in which you’ll be directly responsible for your aircraft; every landing, every bump on the runway, is going to impact the warranty of your planes, affecting the cost to keep them maintained. Effectively, MSFS 2024 includes a management sim inside the wider flight sim.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is also bringing massive enhancements to the simulated Earth by increasing the detail of its virtual environment by a factor of 4,000. For instance, the ground will no longer be a mere heightfield; it now features tiny stones, rocks, gravel and grass all modeled in 3D. This ground detail impacts your aircraft’s wheels as they interact with the various surfaces affecting take-offs and landings. Improved sky and atmospheric lighting, especially during sunrise and sunset, with varying displays of colors based on the makeup of the clouds ensuring accurate temperatures for all light sources. New cloud types like cirrus clouds will better simulate the highest levels of our atmosphere, while the dynamic weather has been improved as well, increasing the density to make storms and other weather phenomena much more realistic and impressive to fly through.

And it’s not just inanimate objects that are getting massive improvements. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is attempting to populate its digital Earth (the “digital twin”) as close to our real world as feasible by introducing a large cast of diverse human characters and locally-significant vehicles, all adding to the overall realism of the simulation. For instance, there’s real-time ship tracking so you can see cargo ships move throughout the world as you would in real life. You can see passengers inside airliners or moving from one location to the next in airports. And because landing just about anywhere in the world is one of the key features, due to the much more detailed environments, the development team worked closely with partners like Frontier (creators of Zoo Tycoon and Planet Zoo) to introduce many species that bring the world to life.

Another big area of improvement that’s planned is addressing the installation size

Another impressive addition to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 will be its “soft body simulation” for hot air balloons. These balloons will be simulated across 6,400 surfaces giving a realistic reaction to heat density — when you turn on the heater, the air will heat up, and it’s going to inflate the massive balloon.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is launching with one of the most largely diverse groups of highly detailed aircraft systems than any flight simulator has ever come with before. It isn’t just how good these aircraft look – and they certainly look fantastic – but also the care and attention that has been given to these systems.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
car sliding GIF

Darsxx82

I just saw it and I can't help but take my hat off to the level of ambition and fidelity they are looking for:

-Modo career where you start from 0 and you have to get a pilot's license, choose contracts, accumulate money to manage and buy your own planes and services.
MSFS2024_Boeing_Dreamlifter-3a864cafadb222b63957-1900x1080.jpg

MSFS2024_Boeing747_GlobalSupertanker-d476a553cd899a4a8db7-1900x1080.jpg

- A wide variety of types of activities. Rescue, commercial, firefighting, racing, ballooning, helicopters.
MSFS2024_HotAirBaloon-362719efdb6ad31f0b8f-1900x1080.jpg

-The world is now much more detailed "raised to 4000"

-The detail in the ground means that they have recreated a system that simulates vegetation, types of soil, rocks, objects, buildings..... all in 3D

ForestLake_MSFS_2024-8947485a18dbf08ea082-1900x1080.jpg

-Recreation of airports, oil plants, heliport, large buildings now full of life with humans and visible passengers walking around and also inside the seats of passenger planes.
MSFS2024_Career_26-a67c99252cd44ca4d918-1900x1080.jpg

MSFS2024_OilRig_Helipad01-29d931c3714af35ada32-1900x1080.jpg

-Recreated fauna. Both wild and livestock (horses, cows, sheep...) to the point that you can graze.

MSFS_2024_Cattle_Group-c870b5f3f4856490e11e-1900x1080.jpg

- Simulated the real traffic of all the ships

It is tragic that this type of effort and level is then ignored and despised by the prizes of friend Geoff.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Guessing this will get the regional updates over time like before? Or will those previous locations be already in this version?

Catphish

Having played MSFS20 in VR, I can't go back to playing on a screen.

Unfortunately, the resolution on modern (reasonably-priced) headsets is too low to make VR-play practical, imo. Too hard to read the gauges and screens.

So, I now find myself waiting for not only for a better headset, but for a new PC that can handle it, which I won't buy until there's consensus on a build that will play GTA6 at 4k/60FPS.

I'm probably looking at a 2-year wait at least. :(

Last edited:

finalflame

Career mode sounds sick, I might have to finally play this. Definitely a huge aviation geek but haven't touched a flight sim in decades because there just wasn't much motivating me.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Career mode sounds sick, I might have to finally play this. Definitely a huge aviation geek but haven't touched a flight sim in decades because there just wasn't much motivating me.
I'm not even that but if there was a checklist of all the animals then it would be fun to just fly a little stunt plane around trying to spot them all. That's much more interesting to me than the sim aspect of flying from Heathrow to Sydney although I can see why some would enjoy that challenge.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
hopefully it doesn't take forever to install....

i recently installed 2020 again and it took me 2 days lol and no it's not my internet. it should only take me 41 minutes to download 120GB.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Guessing this will get the regional updates over time like before? Or will those previous locations be already in this version?
About this : Xboxwhire.

"Another big area of improvement that's planned is addressing the installation size. It's no big surprise how much space Microsoft Flight Simulator takes up on your console or PC (it's a lot). So, it's refreshing to hear how this is one of the biggest things that is being addressed in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024. By tapping into the latest cloud streaming technology, installation size has been trimmed down to about 30 GB to get you in your seat and flying as quickly as possible, streaming in the higher detailed areas that are only necessary for your flight path; why install all the data for the United States when you're intending to just fly over Europe for the evening?"

"That was the whole world data. We kept adding to that, but we still had planes, airports, meshes, points of interests like castles, and textures that were all installed. That's the part that kept growing with the marketplace content, which had grown to 2 TB. Now we integrated everything into the cloud, and it is all streamed and kept into a rolling cache on the hardware. You don't have to install any new World Updates; they're just streamed seamlessly."

calistan

I've played hundreds of hours of the previous version, and I can honestly say that out of all the improvements I wished they'd make, more detailed graphics was not among them. You don't notice rocks and grass at 5,000 ft. Also, hot air balloons look nice but they are spectacularly boring to fly.

I want the ability to pop the instrument panel on a second display for readability (like the reference 'serious' flight sim Prepar3d does).

I want it to behave nicely on multi-monitor setups with different refresh rates (if I put the in-game map on my old 60Hz second screen I lose freesync and high framerate on the main display).

Hookshot

Gold Member
About this : Xboxwhire.
Yeah I saw it mentioned in the video you posted after. Along with a photo mode about animals, assuming it's more than just a giraffe. The Squirrel video mentioned stuff like photographing castles at specific times of day.

Making stuff like "take a photo of all Stadiums in Europe" or "all animal species in Africa" would be a relatively easy way to pad it out for people like me. Sadly though even with the reduced loads and streaming of stores it will melt my current PC.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I had reinstalled mine a couple weeks ago. Took about 20 minutes.
it's always been slow for me. not sure why. i've tried changing DNS servers and using a VPN. it downloads so slow and takes forever to decompress. there are plenty of other people that have complained about this online.

when i actually got it installed and download add ons it's no problem. i can download world updates and stuff at full speed. it's just the game install/updates when i boot up.

Kvally

it's always been slow for me. not sure why. i've tried changing DNS servers and using a VPN. it downloads so slow and takes forever to decompress. there are plenty of other people that have complained about this online.

when i actually got it installed and download add ons it's no problem. i can download world updates and stuff at full speed. it's just the game install/updates when i boot up.
That sucks :( I haven't seen that happen, but it obviously has for you.

Maybe throw it on a external USB and just set it aside if you ever want to install it again. Looks like 2024 is only 30gb instead of 120gb, so hopefully that helps you.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm looking forward to playing this until it bores me to tears. Like, I want to experience it and see the world. But once I'm in the air I get bored and want to crash my plane.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Watch from about 8 minutes onwards in the video D Darsxx82 posted above:
So they finally turned it into a video game. That's pretty cool and should keep me interested. Especially since now when I crash my plane I'll no longer be dying alone. I can take a cabin full of passengers with me!

• Surprised
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
So they finally turned it into a video game. That's pretty cool and should keep me interested. Especially since now when I crash my plane I'll no longer be dying alone. I can take a cabin full of passengers with me!

Hope they include a permadeath mode/option for instances like this.

Back to the start you go.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
My Quest 2 and flight stick are ready. My 6900xt and 5700x probably aren't.
PS this looks amazing.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Friend of mine is building a god damn cockpit for this, lol. Got approval from the wife and everything.

He used to take pilot lessons, but haven’t been flying so Flight Sim is kind of his substitute for it.

StereoVsn

Sounds like a really cool project. Also pricey 😀
Oh, you better believe the thing is $$$, lol. Not as crazy as some $20K ones that have been shown on YouTube but still.

I am going to get controls and stop right there. Well, maybe a mount similar to my driving one for wheel/pedals.

Hmm… wonder if I can get something where I can swap things quickly but use same pedals.

Top Bottom