• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flight Sim 2024: The Many Enhancements That Make This the Most Ambitious Flight Sim Ever

Ozriel

M$FT
Oh, you better believe the thing is $$$, lol. Not as crazy as some $20K ones that have been shown on YouTube but still.

I am going to get controls and stop right there. Well, maybe a mount similar to my driving one for wheel/pedals.

Hmm… wonder if I can get something where I can swap things quickly but use same pedals.

Really interested in seeing pictures of your setup or any target inspiration. Played the first one with a controller but now I’m pivoting to PC these days, might be looking to set something more professional.

I think I heard about a guy who found/got the actual cockpit from a decommissioned 737 (I think) and put a flight sim inside.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Please stop.
dr-evil-how-about-no.gif

Naive of you thinking this is an entire new game.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

StereoVsn

Really interested in seeing pictures of your setup or any target inspiration. Played the first one with a controller but now I’m pivoting to PC these days, might be looking to set something more professional.

I think I heard about a guy who found/got the actual cockpit from a decommissioned 737 (I think) and put a flight sim inside.
Yeah, I saw that one, completely epic. I currently have a chair/stand racing setup with some cheap Logitech wheel.

First Flight sim game I just played with a cheap Thrustmaster combat sim setup. But I kind of want full civilian plane controller (not the $1-2K ones, more realistically priced) and setup similar to that racing chair.

I don’t have place for both so going to take a look and see if there is a way to build a relatively inexpensive setup for both (swap top controls, keep the pedals maybe).

I don't generally play these kind of Sim games but damn if Flight Sim '20 wasn't an impressive piece of kit.
They are what I call retirement kinda games. When old boys finished with work and have some cash to live easy but not enough to bankroll an actual real plane but enough to have a crazy flight sim at home :D

Some of the guys that have insane copit sims for Elite Dangoruse are crazy.

Hari Seldon

I really want them to use this engine and make a combat game. I love planes and flying but without combat I never stick with it. Just do WW2 planes so you don’t have to model all of the electronics of new stuff.

Last edited:

Trunim

Goddamn that price for deluxe whatever was feisty, but considering how many aircrafts and airports and whatnot it includes it's pretty cheap. I haven't dug deep into all new info yet but I don't need navigraph sub anymore for the charts?

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Ideal Spec is 64GB - I'm currently running 48GB as one stick failed.

Looking to upgrade rig when Lunar Lake is out and can run a proper comparison with AMD. Will also be looking at 128GB memory ( As I play around with LLM's ) and a 5090 when available

Min SpecRecommended SpecIdeal Spec
MIN OS VERSIONWindows 10 With Latest UpdateWindows 10 With Latest UpdateWindows 10 With Latest Update
DIRECT X VERSIONDX12DX12DX12
CPUAMD Ryzen 2600X or Intel Core i7-6800KAMD Ryzen 7 2700X or Intel Core i7-10700KAMD Ryzen 9 7900X or Intel it-14700K
GPURadeon RX 5700 or GeForce GTX 970Radeon RX 5700 XT or GeForce RTX 2080Radeon RX 7900 XT or GeForce RTX 4080
VRAM4 GB8 GB12 GB
RAM16 GB32 GB64 GB
STORAGE50 GB50 GB50 GB

willothedog

Ideal Spec is 64GB - I'm currently running 48GB as one stick failed.

Looking to upgrade rig when Lunar Lake is out and can run a proper comparison with AMD. Will also be looking at 128GB memory ( As I play around with LLM's ) and a 5090 when available

Min SpecRecommended SpecIdeal Spec
MIN OS VERSIONWindows 10 With Latest UpdateWindows 10 With Latest UpdateWindows 10 With Latest Update
DIRECT X VERSIONDX12DX12DX12
CPUAMD Ryzen 2600X or Intel Core i7-6800KAMD Ryzen 7 2700X or Intel Core i7-10700KAMD Ryzen 9 7900X or Intel it-14700K
GPURadeon RX 5700 or GeForce GTX 970Radeon RX 5700 XT or GeForce RTX 2080Radeon RX 7900 XT or GeForce RTX 4080
VRAM4 GB8 GB12 GB
RAM16 GB32 GB64 GB
STORAGE50 GB50 GB50 GB

also for ideal is 100Mbps of internet bandwidth.

Schmick

MS and Asobo worked with Frontier (Planet Zoo) to obtain the animal assets.

Is it strange that I'm super excited about being able to walk in a Flight Sim.

Brucey

MS and Asobo worked with Frontier (Planet Zoo) to obtain the animal assets.

Is it strange that I'm super excited about being able to walk in a Flight Sim.
Sounds like it's more of a planet simulator/ultimate open world so makes sense you'd be able to walk around. Maybe a patch for PC so you can ride a. elephant around, or zoom about on the back of a cheetah?

calistan

2020:
WaterPalms_MSFS_2020.jpg

SavanaGirafes_MSFS_2020.jpg

2024:
WaterPalms_MSFS_2024.jpg

SavanaGirafes_MSFS_2024.jpg
This game is actually crazy! This might be the first time I buy a flight sim.
Very nice and all, but when you're not bringing your PC to its knees with 3D modelled grass blades and giraffes, this what you actually want to see, this being a flight sim (shot from the 2020 version):

vfbpw6B.jpeg

I've definitely never seen the 2020 edition looking as rough as in your first two screenshots. They've deliberately picked scenes with messed-up clouds and weird transparent trees.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
So FS has never been something I've been interested in. I know they added missions to FS2020 but nothing was compelling me to kind of try them

So sell me on the game. My perception is great scenery, little bit of input for landing and takeoff. The bit in the middle is just like pressing x for your horse to follow road in an open world game? What's the middle part of things that happen while I'm floating in a straight line?

calistan

So FS has never been something I've been interested in. I know they added missions to FS2020 but nothing was compelling me to kind of try them

So sell me on the game. My perception is great scenery, little bit of input for landing and takeoff. The bit in the middle is just like pressing x for your horse to follow road in an open world game? What's the middle part of things that happen while I'm floating in a straight line?
Well, you're flying an aircraft. It's a bit more involved than pressing X to follow a road. Even if you want to use an autopilot, it's not trivial to set up.

The 2020 one had a good feature called Bush Flights, where you'd have to navigate between multiple airstrips at low level according to a description and a screenshot. You could cheat and use a Garmin or whatever, but it was best if you switched that stuff off.

StueyDuck

honestly just being able to get out and walk around your vehicle is enough alone to be actually interesting and new. I just hope you can do that in MP or Co-oP and that it''s not too ridiculously restricted.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Sadly you missed out on the Top Gun missions, landing on carriers, time trials trying to fly as low as possible, the experimental jet flight.
For me it's just enjoyable to fly around for an hour or two and then maybe try and land on a highway - but it seems like 2024 is going to have a lot more gamey stuff to do.
Edit: just to add there are over 40 discovery flights in 2020 - even if you just spend half an hour in each just flying around the gold coast or London or whatever looking at points of interest that's still 20 hours of content.

Last edited:

Trunim

I wonder how long until we see someone actually walking across a whole country in the game, or I wouldn't be surprised if someone Did like all from Alaska down to Argentina or Norway to Italy. Would be pretty fun to watch tbh

Top Bottom