• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Ihyll

Doppler showing winds of 139kts at 2500ft

139kts equals to roughly 160mph winds. Someone's is about to get slammed really hard if those winds manage to come down to surface level

dabig2

So is the eye reforming and the storm strengthening it or is it disintegrating?

NHC in the 2am update mentioned a possible eye reformation happening in 6-12 hours which would cause the storm to restrengthen as it's in the warm straits. So if the eye is reforming right now, that's really bad news for the west coast of Florida as it will get stronger over the day. Hopefully that wind shear weakens it a bit Sunday night/Monday morning

mo60

She will be cat 5 by sunrise mark my word

Even if she ends up as a cat 5 again she's not going to make landfall as one outside of the florida keys. Shear's going to pick up soon even though it won't weaken Irma much before it makes landfall.

I was surprised more people didn't head there given the trajectory.

If you have friends or relatives in the "safer" parts of Florida or in somewhere along the path of Irma staying with them is cheaper/easier then fighting for a hotel with any number of evacuees .

mo60

Latest NHC forecast shows irma as a inland tropical storm in Alabama a few days from now.I wonder if warnings or watches have to go up for Alabama soon.

dickroach

worrying about traffic and "can i get gas before i'm stranded" is just as stressful as going anywhere

but seriously, no one went to LA. they all went upstate or to GA or the Caronlias

I'm in the Broward County area, and no generators here.

yeah you'll prob be without power for a couple of days. stay safe dude

Piku_Ringo

Banned
worrying about traffic and "can i get gas before i'm stranded" is just as stressful as going anywhere

but seriously, no one went to LA. they all went upstate or to GA or the Caronlias

yeah you'll prob be without power for a couple of days. stay safe dude

I hope not, cause I remember 2005, stuck days without power or food.

dickroach

Days? Hell, in Parkland we were without power for 3 or 4 weeks. We still have power right now, but my guess is that'll change soon. It's getting really bad outside.

no way. that sucks. i had a buncha friends in Coral Springs and Parkland that were only out for a couple of days. where yaat? are you in the everglades?

dickroach

Right by the Broward/Palm Beach border near 441. Wilma was a crazy storm.

so what? SW 18th? I went to high school at North Broward right around there.had a buncha friends that lived right there. you got shitty luck :\

there's that WalMart on Hillsboro. stay there.

stay safe tho <3

Tapioca

Banned
I thought I remembered hearing that having windows opened helped to stop buildings from exploding (of imploding) from the pressure differences caused by extremely high winds.

Or maybe that's tornadoes, I forget.

MYTH
A common tornado myth is that opening the windows will equalize the pressure in your house, which is thought to protect your home from damage. This is totally unnecessary and wastes valuable time in getting to your storm shelter location. If a tornado is going to pass close enough to do damage to your house, there's nothing you can do to minimize it, and making the effort is only risking your life."
https://www.wunderground.com/resources/severe/tornado_myths.asp

"No! All of the doors and windows should be closed (and shuttered) throughout the duration of the hurricane. The pressure differences between inside your house and outside in the storm do not build up enough to cause any damaging explosions. (No house is built airtight.)
The winds in a hurricane are highly turbulent and an open window or door - even if in the lee side of the house - can be an open target to flying debris. All exterior windows should be boarded up with either wooden or metal shutters."
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C6.html

Animekatt

I'm relaxing right now at my job before going to work in 90 mins. We have several families here with their pets to ride out the storm. I'm using the app MyRadar to see the storm come up the state. The blue dot is where I am.

7he5k9cl.jpg

dickroach

do people still duct-tape X's over their windows? that was a thing 10-15 years ago

"it makes the glass break into bigger pieces" or something

Top Bottom