• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm south of Tampa in a 4 story concrete condo, has an interior stairwell, was planning on using that during the worst of it. Good plan or bad plan?
What I would do if an internal stairwell. Roof protected though? Wouldnt want stuff tumbling down a four storey chute.

Moaradin

Decided to stay with family in Land O Lakes. Sister just had a baby a couple days ago and evacuating wasn't an option for them. House was built pretty recently so hopefully it holds up. The wait is excruciating. I just want it to be over, for better or worse.

Decided to stay with family in Land O Lakes. Sister just had a baby a couple days ago and evacuating wasn't an option for them. House was built pretty recently so hopefully it holds up. The wait is excruciating. I just want it to be over, for better or worse.

Stay safe. 🙁 Hope everything turns out okay on your end in general.

Sami+

For peeps in Tally:

Rumor is Lincoln High will be open as a shelter: can anyone confirm this?

I do not drive and it is pretty close to me. Depending on how things go, I may book it there.

I believe all the high schools and colleges are. FSU opened it's doors to non-students today as well. I drove out to Pensacola today though since my gf lives here, but some of my friends are going to stay at FSU.

sinkfla87

I believe all the high schools and colleges are. FSU opened it's doors to non-students today as well. I drove out to Pensacola today though since my gf lives here, but some of my friends are going to stay at FSU.

Welcome to Pensacola. Come for your girlfriend, stay... For your girlfriend. Not much else worth staying here for lol.

gdt

Yup...you've got this one nailed. All bases covered. Master meteorologist of GAF no doubt.

Seriously though, what is it with 'nailed it' or having to be right on guesses that are mere probabilistic outcomes?

Lol noticed this as well. Good time to laugh.

sinkfla87

Yeah I've been a few times lol. Uuuhhh, I like Hub Stacy's! Lots of greasy soul food over here. 😅

You know what's sad? I've lived here nearly my whole life and I've never even been there, I keep hearing good things though lol. My favorite local eatery for awhile was Ozone's pizza but last time I went it didn't seem as good as it used to be. Peg Leg Pete's is good, I'd get there before this storm fucks it up lol. I know you didn't ask for suggestions but I just got hungry and thought I'd throw that out there haha.

Dazza

Some of you guys are reporting wind speed in kt, that's knots right? So if it's 130kt that is 149.6mph which isn't far off from being a Cat 5 again which is 157mph.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What is the gameplan exactly for the people still there in the keys? Like that firefighter -- I thought emergency services had bailed, did he just choose to stay back?

Hoping for the best for Everyone in Florida. How crazy is it that just a couple of days ago this was a Miami/South Carolina, East Florida storm..now it looks like Tampa/West Florida..?

What is the gameplan exactly for the people still there in the keys? Like that firefighter -- I thought emergency services had bailed, did he just choose to stay back?

There is no gameplan, really. Some just decide to stay back. All emergency services have vacated the area so everyone staying there is on their own.

oh shit those winds .. he reckons its 100mph and he has his window half open
I thought I remembered hearing that having windows opened helped to stop buildings from exploding (of imploding) from the pressure differences caused by extremely high winds.

Or maybe that's tornadoes, I forget.

Top Bottom