• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Blizzard

Banned
The tape thing is supposedly a myth that makes the glass break into bigger pieces.

However, I'm not sure it's actually been scientifically tested one way or the other. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

2MF

The tape thing is supposedly a myth that makes the glass break into bigger pieces.

However, I'm not sure it's actually been scientifically tested one way or the other. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

What would be good about shattering into bigger pieces? Those can just cut you up.

I must be missing something.

cirrhosis

Any news channels that has livestreams on the internet so I can watch from outside the US?

Finding a periscope stream in an affected location is probably your best bet. News channels aren't worth the effort, they are either hype or piss poor information. Weather forums are useful though - anericanwx is a good one. Sure others will chip in with suggestions.

Dazza

I don't think just taping an X will do all that much, but if you put a full frame adhesive polymer film on your glass it works like safety glass. Both sides are even better

Just woke up and still have power by Marlins Ballpark. Upgrading all the posts around the area actually did something. Friend by Miami Children's Hospital lost power. Crossing my fingers I make it through with juice. Stay safe everyone.

dickroach

Stanton hit 54 last night. you'll be fine

I'm waiting to hear back from my family and friends in palm beach county. last i heard (10pm or so) it was nothing

Wanna know how crazy this storm is? It's at the bottom tip of Florida and were already getting strong wind and rain in Jacksonville in North Florida. I'm sorry Tampa :(

dickroach

Wanna know how crazy this storm is? It's at the bottom tip of Florida and were already getting strong wind and rain in Jacksonville in North Florida. I'm sorry Tampa :(

I can't imagine jacksonville gives a shit about fuck. there was that tropical storm this time last year, i was driving through, 60mph gusts. most of the bars were open
stay safe tho <3

Stanton hit 54 last night. you'll be fine

I'm waiting to hear back from my family and friends in palm beach county. last i heard (10pm or so) it was nothing
There's been quite a few tornadoes but I'm in palm beach right now and it's just a lot of wind and rain, hasn't started howling yet. This thing seems to be slowing down it's travel speed tho? How slow is it traveling right now? I'm getting so nervous for my folks and grandma in Sarasota. Thing is just gonna sit on em.

gdt

I'm relaxing right now at my job before going to work in 90 mins. We have several families here with their pets to ride out the storm. I'm using the app MyRadar to see the storm come up the state. The blue dot is where I am.

7he5k9cl.jpg

Goddamn it's really happening

III-V

i hope yall have a buncha USB chargies

III-V you riding it out in Tampa?

I will make that call within 1 hours time. I am about to go pack the car though lol. We are looking at cat 3 impact, and that means some people are going to get wrecked.

I can't imagine jacksonville gives a shit about fuck. there was that tropical storm this time last year, i was driving through, 60mph gusts. most of the bars were open
stay safe tho <3

Thats the truth. My sister in law works at a bar in that area that stays open no matter what. They were all encouraged to come in and keep working.

dickroach

There's been quite a few tornadoes but I'm in palm beach right now and it's just a lot of wind and rain, hasn't started howling yet. This thing seems to be slowing down it's travel speed tho? How slow is it traveling right now? I'm getting so nervous for my folks and grandma in Sarasota. Thing is just gonna sit on em.

my parents and friends are in palm beach. i've been keeping in touch will all them. they aren't worried at all. there's going to be flooding. there's going to be shit knocked down.
i dont think the tornadoes will actually fuck shit up.

stay safe <3

Goddamn it's really happening

what? yeah. the hurricane's going to fuck up florida.
that's been a fact for a day or two now

I will make that call within 1 hours time. I am about to go pack the car though lol. We are looking at cat 3 impact, and that means some people are going to get wrecked.

Thats the truth. My sister in law works at a bar in that area that stays open no matter what. They were all encouraged to come in and keep working.

if youre not already out I say just ride it out.

if you dont got hurricane windows they might get smashed in, but its better to deal with that now then in a week honestly

i dunno. just my thoughts.

stay safe <3

my parents and friends are in palm beach. i've been keeping in touch will all them. they aren't worried at all. there's going to be flooding. there's going to be shit knocked down.
i dont think the tornadoes will actually fuck shit up.

stay safe <3

Lol what. Of course they will, but only where they touched down for a minute.

dickroach

Lol what. Of course they will, but only where they touched down for a minute.

alls im saying is i remember in 04 there were mad tornadoes that formed and dissipated immediately. the fact that there are tornadoes doesn't mean there are tornadoes that are going to cause damage

i hope there aren't. tornadoes are terrifying

trickblu

Neo Member
Key West Update: The eye of the hurricane is starting to hit the Lower Keys now, looks like it will be directly over Big Coppitt. Power is out all up and down the Keys. Family and friends who stayed home report little to no flooding yet, but the wind is getting really bad.

There is something brain deadening about how Fox news turns a storm into a spectator sport.

They've got this fox reporter who has to stand against the wind in Miami getting drenched and risking getting knocked out, just for the ratings, while the camera crew films him from 40 feet away protected by a building lobby.

dickroach

There is something brain deadening about how Fox news turns a storm into a spectator sport.

They've got this fox reporter who has to stand against the wind in Miami getting drenched and risking getting knocked out, just for the ratings, while the camera crew films him from 40 feet away protected by a building lobby.

watch Nightcrawler

weekev

Banned
Key West Update: The eye of the hurricane is starting to hit the Lower Keys now, looks like it will be directly over Big Coppitt. Power is out all up and down the Keys. Family and friends who stayed home report little to no flooding yet, but the wind is getting really bad.
You have friends and family still in the Keys?

watch Nightcrawler

yeah I know, a favourite movie.

but in the studio they are repeating about how _everyone_ must get to shelter then they cut to their storm bait guy who is hung out for lols, and let him struggle on camera for minutes at a time. With zero apparent irony.

dickroach

yeah I know, a favourite movie.

but in the studio they are repeating about how _everyone_ must get to shelter then they cut to their storm bait guy who is hung out for lols, and let him struggle on camera for minutes at a time. With zero apparent irony.

yeah. I haven't watched CNN in like 12 hours but it was like "EVERYONE IN FLORIDA IS PROBABLY GOING TO DIE" so i hit up a couple of friends in so florida and they were like "yeah, it's kinda breezy"

the national media over-reacts to every hurricane. that's why no one takes this shit seriously.

i know it's dangerous guys. don't

yeah. I haven't watched CNN in like 12 hours but it was like "EVERYONE IN FLORIDA IS PROBABLY GOING TO DIE" so i hit up a couple of friends in so florida and they were like "yeah, it's kinda breezy"

the national media over-reacts to every hurricane. that's why no one takes this shit seriously.

i know it's dangerous guys. don't
I've got plenty of friends throughout FL. Lifelong Floridians. They're taking it very seriously.

weekev

Banned
Yeah. We managed to convince my grandma, uncle, and some family friends to get a hotel suite at the local Marriott. Their main building was built to withstand category 5 conditions. Others are in their homes. Everyone's well so far.
That's good, hopefully the storm surge isn't as bad as predicted and the guys in their homes manage to ride it out. Good luck.

III-V

if youre not already out I say just ride it out.

if you dont got hurricane windows they might get smashed in, but its better to deal with that now then in a week honestly

i dunno. just my thoughts.

stay safe <3

Its not too late to head out, its basically not even windy here, no rain lol. If I do leave, it will be at 8 am, so not long from now.

We have a house built in 2008, so relatively resistant (rated 120 mph), but there also possibility of tree damage, tornadoes, and of course power outages, and other hazards.

People in Palma Ceia, Downtown Tampa, Bayshore, St. Petersburg, Clearwater - please evacuate if you are told to do so.

Tampa hasn't even called for evacuation of zone B from what I have seen.

dickroach

if you have a brick shithouse with hurricane windows a tree going at 150 mph can still fuck it up.
i think any house/apt built after 2005 is fine.
Andrew shook florida. and then nothing happened for a decade. and then in 04 everyone was like "o ya" and shit started getting built properly

trickblu

Neo Member
That's good, hopefully the storm surge isn't as bad as predicted and the guys in their homes manage to ride it out. Good luck.

Thanks for the well wishes! I know, we're all praying the flooding isn't as bad as Wilma. Our house is raised several feet off the ground and got about 15 inches inside with her.

Top Bottom