• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

okno

Ugh. A friend of mine just moved from NYC to Marco Island... She's in Naples with family, but now I can't get a hold of her. They had a hospital to go to as their back up plan, hoping they make it out okay.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Damn this looks like it's gonna be bad...

Hurricanes and tornados. Sheesh.

I'm glad my grandma postponed her bi-annual trip to the keys to see friends.

Stay safe Florida gaf

Ugh. A friend of mine just moved from NYC to Marco Island... She's in Naples with family, but now I can't get a hold of her. They had a hospital to go to as their back up plan, hoping they make it out okay.

Marco Island doesn't seem to be bad atm. Jeff is there live streaming

I wonder what the thought process was behind leaving this thing standing when they knew this storm was coming? I'm sure it's not easy to remove, but they've had some time. That looks dangerous as hell.

They said on the news they're designed to spin during a hurricane. Apparently they are designed to withstand sustained winds up to 145 mph. Also, they said they take like 5 days to take down, during which time they have to block streets, and they didn't have time for that.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
DJXxNSuXoAA1RbW.jpg

Water has been sucked out of the Hillsborough River that feeds the Bay of Tampa

Never, ever seen this

III-V

Tampa posting in again, nothing happening here. I just went down to the local jiffy store, they are open lol. Not many cars on the streets but literally no rain and no wind atm. I am really surprised as we were forecast to see tropical storm conditions very likely within the next hour. There have been some weather advisories for nearby areas.

The northerly track is good news for people in this area, although the official forecasts track is pretty dim.

DJXxNSuXoAA1RbW.jpg

Never, ever seen this

Downtown may flood really bad, I hope you are not there. That looks like a mandatory evacuation

Oh I know. But to see it recede and watch it slam back in is going to be nuts.

To be clear, this photo is via Keith Cate at WFLA8, the NBC Affiliate. Their HQ is right on the river downtown

ahh, gotcha. Likely looking into downtown from the St Pete Times building.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Tampa posting in again, nothing happening here. I just went down to the local jiffy store, they are open lol. Not many cars on the streets but literally no rain and no wind atm. I am really surprised as we were forecast to see tropical storm conditions very likely within the next hour. There have been some weather advisories for nearby areas.

The northerly track is good news for people in this area, although the official forecasts track is pretty dim.

Downtown may flood really bad, I hope you are not there. That looks like a mandatory evacuation

I'm in Lutz/Wesley Chapel, where there's currently a tornado heading our way from Zephyrhills

III-V

I'm in Lutz/Wesley Chapel, where there's currently a tornado heading our way from Zephyrhills

USF Area?, and there have been some in Bartow as well from what I was seeing on local weather earlier.

Just so quiet in my neighborhood, no birds, no wind, no rain.

siganddaxter

Neo Member
Fuck fuck it shifted back towards fort Myers. Please don't ruin my car please.

Aghhhh

I'm freaking out about work too. Holy shit what am I going to do if I have no power. They said work from home if you can, I'm just sick of thinking about it.

Mindlog

https://i.imgur.com/dZA4aH5.jpg

Long time lurker, so I hope I'm posting this correctly. Taken from the top of the parking garage at one of the major hospitals in Tampa Bay, overlooking downtown Tampa. Top is last night, and bottom is about an hour ago. Hospital is bracing for possible flooding since we are literally on an island.

Thank you, Chairhome.
TGH ended up moving some patients. Wouldn't be surprised if they moved them all and shut the place down. Not in a great spot. Hoping those that stayed there make it through OK.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJXxNSuXoAA1RbW.jpg

Never, ever seen this
The eye damage will be real, but that back half of the hurricane. Stay safe everybody.

Wensih

I wonder what the thought process was behind leaving this thing standing when they knew this storm was coming? I'm sure it's not easy to remove, but they've had some time. That looks dangerous as hell.

Yeah no clue. There are three cranes in probably less than a mile radius around FSU. They decided to start tearing down a strip mall days before the storm..... the other 2 cranes are from University construction. There's probably going to be a lot of debris at the CVS on Tennessee that will be god knows where after the storm.

I'm freaking out about work too. Holy shit what am I going to do if I have no power. They said work from home if you can, I'm just sick of thinking about it.

Fuck work man this is your life you need to take care of yourself. If you are stressing about work you aren't taking care of yourself. The best thing you can do for yourself is to not stress about work right now.

Fuck fuck it shifted back towards fort Myers. Please don't ruin my car please.

Aghhhh

There is no reason your job shouldn't be understanding. Your life is more important than work. I know it's easier to say, it just focus on being safe and getting your place in order.

Bandini

In Sarasota, winds are starting to pick up but nothing too bad yet. Power has been flickering for the last 30 min or so, wasn't expecting that so soon.

daveo42

Banned
Parents decided to stay home in Melbourne instead of heading to a shelter. Everything seems fine now and hopefully it stays that way.

Top Bottom