• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Really didn't like the last update from my sister in Bonita.

Water in backyard is ankle deep
Wish we would have left, scared right now
We are going to lose everything
Pray for us

Doubtful it will come to that, but if they have to go into the attic bring something up with them to break through the roof if they have to.

rainy_day

In Riverview FL with the Wife and 4 friends grouped up at my house with tons of supplies. Got some random gusts so far and rain. Nothing bad yet. But prepping for some shit. Got the hurricane shutters up.

I just wanted to play destiny 2 :(

Brannon

In Riverview FL with the Wife and 4 friends grouped up at my house with tons of supplies. Got some random gusts so far and rain. Nothing bad yet. But prepping for some shit. Got the hurricane shutters up.

I just wanted to play destiny 2 :(

But this is your destiny, too.

too soon?

But really, best of luck to all of you.

I have to make a decision soon on if I'm going to stay in my house in st pete or go somewhere safer. Are most roofs safe in 110 mph gusts? House was built in 1947 but remodeled in the 1976 so I dont think its the original roof design. And there are no trees around. No risk of flooding at all.

DNeNgQv.jpg

Other house I can go to is block but surrounded by very large old trees. Right next to a canal called joes creek and while it doesnt flood it is soft soil all around.

My roof flies off and I get killed by debris or go to the other house to get crushed to death?

Also all of the windows on my house are boarded while the other house has nothing.

Mindlog

We definitely won't be shutting down. We were sent critical patients from other hospitals since they were evacuating. We are actually fully staffed for both day and night shift, and currently staying within the hospital until the storm passes.
Oh, I heard some were transferred out. They may have been referencing those other hospitals. May need to make some calls to Moffit. Good luck. Hope everything goes as well as possible. I'm going to be heading out as soon as I can after the storm. I have extra supplies and undoubtedly a lot of heavy lifting. Going to find out if I can get a blood donation in before the work begins after the storm.

Tovarisc

I have to make a decision soon on if I'm going to stay in my house in st pete or go somewhere safer. Are most roofs safe in 110 mph gusts? House was built in 1947 but remodeled in the 1976 so I dont think its the original roof design. And there are no trees around. No risk of flooding at all.

DNeNgQv.jpg

Other house I can go to is block but surrounded by very large old trees. Right next to a canal called joes creek and while it doesnt flood it is soft soil all around.

My roof flies off and I get killed by debris or go to the other house to get crushed to death?

Also all of the windows on my house are boarded while the other house has nothing.

Surely there is some sturdy shelters arranged into the area? I would consider going into such if I had any doubts about safety of my house.

DNeNgQv.jpg

Go to whichever home is concrete. If neither are, your boarded up home is safer. Hunker down in a closet or bathroom with a mattress on top of you if roof starts going.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

http://i.imgur.com/DNeNgQv.jpg

Damn man I feel bad for you. I hope nothing happens to your house or yourself. Like Tovarisc said, you need to find shelter in a place specially built for that ASAP.

DNeNgQv.jpg

Stick in your house. The roof looks sound, and with the shutters up, you're less likely to break a window. Broken windows can cause a roof to tear off much more easily.

Ponn

Banned
Doubtful it will come to that, but if they have to go into the attic bring something up with them to break through the roof if they have to.

They don't have an attic, it's an older house and they are in a flood zone that's already had flooding issues the last couple weeks. It's why I was trying hard to get her to bring her family and animals and stay with us in Jax all week. I know what the storm surge is going to do there.

Gamerman1

DNeNgQv.jpg

Roof may not be good support truss wise good. They only really started to make them more hurricane resistant after Andrew in 1992.

I walked outside a minute and made the decision to leave. Other house was built around 2005 so obviously great roof.

Thanks guys and good luck everyone else in this.

Pray for us

Hoping for the best for you and your family, Ponn.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

MrJames

No change in intensity.

SUMMARY OF 100 PM EDT...1700 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.4N 81.7W
ABOUT 50 MI...80 KM S OF NAPLES FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...215 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 350 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...933 MB...27.55 INCHES

Anyone know a way to check the level of specific rivers? Curious about Withlacoochee River around Marion County. Have a friend with a house on the river who evacuated. Is anyone here in that area (around Dunellon)?

III-V

No change in intensity.

SUMMARY OF 100 PM EDT...1700 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.4N 81.7W
ABOUT 50 MI...80 KM S OF NAPLES FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...215 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 350 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...933 MB...27.55 INCHES

Thanks for the updates, BTW.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Pray for us

Man that's horrifying. Hope she'll be ok.

Update: Still hunkered down on Marco Island. It's gusty and rainy, obvs, but they are expecting hurricane winds by 5pm. The water plant(s) on the island are down, electricity is down, and there are no rescue missions ongoing.

We expect to be sent out after sunrise tomorrow, but that depends on the surge level still in the streets. Im taking some video, but it's all behind glass, so it's a bit tough to get the focus correct.

This was about 30min ago

IMG_20170910_120433.jpg

III-V

Update: Still hunkered down on Marco Island. It's gusty and rainy, obvs, but they are expecting hurricane winds by 5pm. The water plant(s) on the island are down, electricity is down, and there are no rescue missions ongoing.

We expect to be sent out after sunrise tomorrow, but that depends on the surge level still in the streets. Im taking some video, but it's all behind glass, so it's a bit tough to get the focus correct.

This was about 30min ago

Please stay safe, you are damn near ground zero for this storm

Really? Latest forecast shifted east significantly and my impression was that we'll likely get cat 2 or 3 winds.

Saw one recently that held a more westward path, as though it will just skirt around South Florida and come in closer to north Tampa. I can't tell anymore, since the Weather channel seems to be a little sensationalized.

The local forecast (Rob Nuka-Cola) I caught recently seemed much more relaxed and was more in line with what you're talking about. That we'll get hurricane force winds but at a diminished strength.

Top Bottom